All Capers Threads merged

D

Dan115

Why wait? I just don't see any upside to putting off the inevitable.
Capers clearly has to go.
He should have been gone at the end of last season.
It would be in the Packers best interest to get an early start on reshaping the defense for next year.

To answer your question: No, I don't.
But, in my mind he should.

Do not hold your breath on this till the end of the season. I would not be surprised if Capers says bye himself at the end of the season.

D

Dan115

I would bet against it. I could see Capers maybe just walking away. But the heavy odds are for end of the season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensive coordinator's job is to put guys in position to make plays. At that point it's up to the players to make the play. Here's a quote from Pickett on the Eagles loss:
"I think we messed up a couple things, but other than that it felt like a normal game out there," Pickett said. "I don't think it was scheme-related...On all those runs, if you watch them, somebody at some point had a shot to get (McCoy) down for maybe a 3- or 2-yard gain. Even with eight in the box, you got to make a tackle."

So why is it Capers fault? I get that it's easier to blame the coach than the players because that means a quick fix is possible. The problem though is clearly the players. Capers can't actually go out there and make the interception against Jackson. He has to rely on Burnett and Williams not stumbling all over themselves and tipping it to Jackson. Capers can't go out there and strap himself to CM3's right side to give Matthews a right hand that can actually do something (btw, I get that Matthews is great and all, but he was completely ineffective yesterday, he shouldn't have been in the game).

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensive coordinator's job is to put guys in position to make plays. At that point it's up to the players to make the play. Here's a quote from Pickett on the Eagles loss:
"I think we messed up a couple things, but other than that it felt like a normal game out there," Pickett said. "I don't think it was scheme-related...On all those runs, if you watch them, somebody at some point had a shot to get (McCoy) down for maybe a 3- or 2-yard gain. Even with eight in the box, you got to make a tackle."

So why is it Capers fault? I get that it's easier to blame the coach than the players because that means a quick fix is possible. The problem though is clearly the players. Capers can't actually go out there and make the interception against Jackson. He has to rely on Burnett and Williams not stumbling all over themselves and tipping it to Jackson. Capers can't go out there and strap himself to CM3's right side to give Matthews a right hand that can actually do something (btw, I get that Matthews is great and all, but he was completely ineffective yesterday, he shouldn't have been in the game).

I totally agree. Mathews was not effective at all so why play him...although it could be said that he is better one handed than Brad Jones was with two. Time to let Lattimore play and put Jones on ST. The D-backs need to learn to communicate better...case in point the two keystone cops hitting each other and watching the 1st Eagles TD. As far as Capers is concerned, I still think his schemes are ineffective and wont get any better.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's just like any other sport, you can't fire the players so you fire the coach and hope replacing that one man will bring better results even in the short term.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What do you think? Capers gone this year?
I heard Wayne Larrivee address this question last night and he said the Packers and fans should wait until the end of the season and take into consideration Capers’ entire body of work. I agree. I also agree with those who say Capers can’t make tackles or even mandate his players to just “stay on their feet” without slipping but I do think coaching involves more than just Xs and Os. While these are professional players who are responsible for their own motivation, I think part of coaching is instilling an attitude, particularly on defense. I also think no matter how good the coach, over time players just tune him out. So unless things improve dramatically on defense, I’d like to see a change at DC with Capers fired, or better yet “allowed” to retire if he doesn’t want to continue coaching. Having said that, it doesn’t mean immediate improvement – or any improvement next season and the new DC will likely be someone on the staff. It could be Winston Moss who has the title of assistant HC along with coaching ILBs. It's difficult for us on the outside to know who the best candidate on the staff would be but while I'd give Moss the benefit of the doubt if it's him, I wouldn't be excited about the choice. I'd prefer Darren Perry because of his experience with the Steelers and Bengals coaching on **** LeBeau's staffs. But again, it's difficult for us to know how anyone would rise to the challenge and how players would react to him. And I think it would be a mistake switching back to the 4-3 – I don’t see anything wrong with the 3-4 scheme.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Way too many injuries each year.
Bad defense each year.
One and done in the playoffs.
Oline that hasn't gelled yet.

This goes much higher than Campen, but I do agree, make the move now.

I'll wait for a great story about 2010

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Quick fixes" rarely achieve great results. Just look at the Vikings....
The Packers defense is hardly producing great results now.
Something has got to change and you can hardly change the players.
The Ravens switched offensive coordinators last year and look what happened.

I'm not saying that would for sure happen here but it's an example of how change can make a difference even if it is in midstream.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not saying that would for sure happen here but it's an example of how change can make a difference even if it is in midstream.

We do not know how the players or coaches view Capers..
Do they think he is stubborn, or is he willing to change..
Do they think he lacks the leadership?
Is he to forgiving and allows players to screw up with being held accountable?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do not know how the players or coaches view Capers..
Do they think he is stubborn, or is he willing to change..
Do they think he lacks the leadership?
Is he to forgiving and allows players to screw up with being held accountable?
All fair questions but one would think that if they were responding positively to his coaching and his schemes they would be playing better defense.
Or perhaps the players he has been given are so bad that no one could coach them up.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

One might hold up the Ravens as an example of success, but Harbaugh himself said the change in the team wasn't because of the O Coordinator. "Harbaugh makes a good point when evaluating a team's success in relation to coaching and player execution. The performance by the Ravens last season from Week 15 forward may be less a product of Caldwell as an excellent play-caller than a reflection of the overall team chemistry."

From the article; "Do the Baltimore Ravens Need To Consider Another Offensive Coordinator Change?"
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...consider-another-offensive-coordinator-change

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that Capers isnt prepared for some of these games or doesnt change up the scheme mid game. Yesterday was a good example as well as the Chicago game but the worst was the San Fran playoff game game last year. Im not sure what he was trying to do yesterday with Foles...was he playing the run was he playing the pass...didnt matter as it ends up because both were wide open

robertk328

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My post earlier I mentioned the Ravens as an example. I'm not saying to get rid of Capers. I agree with some of the others. Capers wasn't wearing a jersey in that game. The guys who were and didn't execute are the ones who are (starting with #42, at least yesterday with two big mistakes). Players are owning up to it too.

I'm still hopeful but we will have to keep the NYG offense in check. Then Peterson the next.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Wayne Larrivee address this question last night and he said the Packers and fans should wait until the end of the season and take into consideration Capers’ entire body of work. I agree. I also agree with those who say Capers can’t make tackles or even mandate his players to just “stay on their feet” without slipping but I do think coaching involves more than just Xs and Os. While these are professional players who are responsible for their own motivation, I think part of coaching is instilling an attitude, particularly on defense. I also think no matter how good the coach, over time players just tune him out. So unless things improve dramatically on defense, I’d like to see a change at DC with Capers fired, or better yet “allowed” to retire if he doesn’t want to continue coaching. Having said that, it doesn’t mean immediate improvement – or any improvement next season and the new DC will likely be someone on the staff. It could be Winston Moss who has the title of assistant HC along with coaching ILBs. It's difficult for us on the outside to know who the best candidate on the staff would be but while I'd give Moss the benefit of the doubt if it's him, I wouldn't be excited about the choice. I'd prefer Darren Perry because of his experience with the Steelers and Bengals coaching on **** LeBeau's staffs. But again, it's difficult for us to know how anyone would rise to the challenge and how players would react to him. And I think it would be a mistake switching back to the 4-3 – I don’t see anything wrong with the 3-4 scheme.

Everything that you see on tape and that the players mention all show that players are where they need to be on defense to make the play, the players just aren't doing their jobs. When I say that, it's not like Capers is asking the guys to do heroic stuff like Hawk cover Forte in the flat. We're talking about Williams & Burnett making a play on the ball instead of fumbliing it around to Desean Jackson. We're talking about linebackers filling gaps and actually tackling a running back. Just changing the name of the coach isn't suddenly going to get those guys to make tackles. Having your front seven in position to make a tackle for a short gain on first or second down is what the best defensive coordinators do. The difference is that our front seven right now can't tackle to save their lives.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of whose fault it is, it's been really disappointing not seeing the D step up in AR's absence when we've really needed them.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ready?
Browns: backup qb and inept OC, Lions: No #81 to stretch the D, Ravens: lost 10 players via FA, Skins: RGIII at 50%.

The D is very suspect.
Just as I thought.
Packers win. Capers had nothing at all to do with it.
Packers lose. It's ALL Capers fault.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything that you see on tape and that the players mention all show that players are where they need to be on defense to make the play, the players just aren't doing their jobs. When I say that, it's not like Capers is asking the guys to do heroic stuff like Hawk cover Forte in the flat. We're talking about Williams & Burnett making a play on the ball instead of fumbliing it around to Desean Jackson. We're talking about linebackers filling gaps and actually tackling a running back. Just changing the name of the coach isn't suddenly going to get those guys to make tackles. Having your front seven in position to make a tackle for a short gain on first or second down is what the best defensive coordinators do. The difference is that our front seven right now can't tackle to save their lives.
So is Ted just drafting players that are too dumb and/or reticent to perform their assignments?

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an off season issue. Several weeks ago I was hearing how great everyone thought the defense was even without Matthews.

Worst thing a team can do is have a knee jerk reaction.

I think it's time to look at different options in the off season. I think it's short sighted to bring in someone who is known for yelling to fix the team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rex Ryan if available would be a solid addition to the coaching staff possibly. Otherwise someone young and upcoming

Members online