All Capers Threads merged

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Who then takes credit for the Browns game 13 points..Lions 9 points, Ravens game 17 points, Skins game 20 points..but last points were near the end..

Does Capers get credit for games?

Those teams have bad offensives besides the Lions without Johnston.

When the Pack play a game against a QB that can actually throw the ball the D gets smoked. All of those teams are below .500 or at .500 besides the lions.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Defense has been the focus of the draft mostly for 2 years and what has changed really ? Sometimmes we stop the run, sometimes we rush the passer. We can't cover or tackle very well in the secondary for a couple years now. I say give Capers the rest of this year and if things don't improve drastically we need to move on. I don't doubt his ability to draw up a good game plan, but if you can't get the players to play to their abilities then in the end you have failed. We really need to sit some of these players who are stinking it up and find out if others can play a bigger role.
I would sit Tramon, Morgan, maybe give Lattimore the nod over Jones. Something needs to be done, even if its just to send a message of accountability.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Those teams have bad offensives besides the Lions without Johnston.

When the Pack play a game against a QB that can actually throw the ball the D gets smoked. All of those teams are below .500 or at .500 besides the lions.
Ready?
Browns: backup qb and inept OC, Lions: No #81 to stretch the D, Ravens: lost 10 players via FA, Skins: RGIII at 50%.

The D is very suspect.

Then would you say the def in those games played very well? If so then maybe the Capers scheme only works vs bad teams?

Baltimore lost 10 players to free agency on offense? That is who were comparing our def too..Our def to opponents offenses..I think they only lost one or two on offense..Their center retired? and Boldin, who got traded

We did play them at home as well..they were 15-0 vs NFC teams there and we did win and def did do very well..

Look, I think the Def has had HUGE issues last 2 games for sure..But they have had very good games this year..

So when they had those good games regardless who it was against, the Def did something right..so should Dom get the credit then??

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Then would you say the def in those games played very well? If so then maybe the Capers scheme only works vs bad teams?

Baltimore lost 10 players to free agency on offense? That is who were comparing our def too..Our def to opponents offenses..I think they only lost one or two on offense..Their center retired? and Boldin, who got traded

We did play them at home as well..they were 15-0 vs NFC teams there and we did win and def did do very well..

Look, I think the Def has had HUGE issues last 2 games for sure..But they have had very good games this year..

So when they had those good games regardless who it was against, the Def did something right..so should Dom get the credit then??

I wont give Capers any credit until he can find a scheme that can stop a QB that throws the ball. If this team makes the postseason they will face legit offenses I dont think Capers can scheme to stop them though. If this team faces Drew Brees,Russel Wilson or Kapernic again this D will be torn to shreads.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wont give Capers any credit until he can find a scheme that can stop a QB that throws the ball. If this team makes the postseason they will face legit offenses I dont think Capers can scheme to stop them though. If this team faces Drew Brees,Russel Wilson or Kapernic again this D will be torn to shreads.

Not sure, but Stafford can toss the ball and stopped them to 9 points this year..

Last year when they played Seattle, they stopped Russel. 130 yards, and it was a win as we all know..In the loudest stadium in the NFL

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a pattern with Capers. Very dynamic when he first arrives somewhere either as a HC(Panthers,Texans) or a DC(us). He does exceptional when he first gets there but after he has been there a while he seems to get complacent because of the success at the beginning of his stint he NEVER changes and teams catch on to his scheme and move on and leave his D in the dust. Maybe the Packers need to move on

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philly couldn't believe how open their recievers were. It's been said and I agree Brad Jones should be a special teams player at best. Out of position most plays ....d backs took another week off too

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure, but Stafford can toss the ball and stopped them to 9 points this year..

Last year when they played Seattle, they stopped Russel. 130 yards, and it was a win as we all know..In the loudest stadium in the NFL
That was Russell Wilson before he became who he is now. He still had the training wheels on.
We have had good success against Stafford and the over-the-top help on Megatron.
But remember, Megatron was out this year when we beat them.

I have heard that theory on Capers too. It's true.
But that first year he was here, and we got better statistically, we still made the about-to-retire Kurt Warner look like the greatest QB of all-time in that playoff loss.
He had more TDs than incomplete passes that embarassing loss.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That was Russell Wilson before he became who he is now. He still had the training wheels on.
We have had good success against Stafford and the over-the-top help on Megatron.
But remember, Megatron was out this year when we beat them.

I remember CJ out and pointed it out in a prev post I think...Stafford was held by our defense as they should have..They held Bush to a low total too.

When we lost Cobb, Rodgers found others to help. Stafford couldnt

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When freaky looking Rob Ryan can strut into New Orleans and turn a bad D into a good one, and Capers is still trying to figure things out here, I think he's worn out his welcome.

I believe this defense has talent. Hawk has had his best season, Matthews is still a force, Shields is a fantastic cover corner, Mike Daniels is turning into the next Cullen Jenkins.....and yet this. Talent, but no results. Someone has to be held accountable. You can't fire the team.

I don't blame Capers for failed executions -- but there have become some pretty awful patterns, and when you repeatedly have situations like Riley Cooper running by himself in the secondary -- a receiver somehow slipping behind the entire secondary on 4th and 20 in Baltimore -- etc. etc...it's enough. Capers has had his chances. Sometimes it's just time for change.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the basic issue as this:

2010 is long gone. It is irrelevant to what has been happening the past 3 years.

When, I ask, has this defense ever risen to the occasion when they were called upon to do so? Under most circumstances of this kind, they have failed to do so. In fact they've gotten stomped.

With all the attention payed to the defense these last 2 years, I do not believe that Dom Capers has developed his young players or made others raise themselves to the level that they might be capable of.

These are the reasons why I feel that Capers should no longer be the DC.

Firing him in midseason may not be the best idea, so we see how it plays out the rest of the year. Without a marked improvement, he should be gone, plain and simple, and MM should do more than just "take responsibility" for the situation that he himself is part of.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
""I’m disappointed. I’m disappointed as the head coach of this team because we have a reoccurring issue that we have to get fixed and we’ll get on that tomorrow. I’m not going to get into that right now." -- MM

Tom Silverstein wonders if this means getting rid of Dandy Dom.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I am starting to teeter on the thought of what they could GET and rebuild the D if they did trade CM3.
Well, heck, if we're going to revert to rebuilding mode because of a rough stretch due to injuries, why don't we just trade Rodgers and see what we could get for him too?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
""I’m disappointed. I’m disappointed as the head coach of this team because we have a reoccurring issue that we have to get fixed and we’ll get on that tomorrow. I’m not going to get into that right now." -- MM

Tom Silverstein wonders if this means getting rid of Dandy Dom.

It had better lead to something meaningful, because if it's just a "oh I'm mad now" kind of thing that gets swept under the rug come next week, then MM's qualities as a head coach should be put into question.

It might take the Giants' offense abusing the Packers next week to provoke some real action.

Oh, and I've had enough of Capers. It is time for MM to be decisive. This just keeps going on and on and on.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see no changes from MM till the end of the season.
Something has to change!
The track record of Capers is, his defenses do well at the beginning of his tenure and get progressively worse.
Why not put a stop to it now and get rid of him. Replacing him with Greene now might not get us any more wins but it might light a fire under the defense and give us a better chance at winning.
Capers schemes and coaching clearly is not working.

robertk328

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Dan115

Something has to change!
The track record of Capers is, his defenses do well at the beginning of his tenure and get progressively worse.
Why not put a stop to it now and get rid of him. Replacing him with Greene now might not get us any more wins but it might light a fire under the defense and give us a better chance at winning.
Capers schemes and coaching clearly is not working.

Do you really think coach MM gets rid of him now??? I think at the end of the season.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really think coach MM gets rid of him now??? I think at the end of the season.
Why wait? I just don't see any upside to putting off the inevitable.
Capers clearly has to go.
He should have been gone at the end of last season.
It would be in the Packers best interest to get an early start on reshaping the defense for next year.

To answer your question: No, I don't.
But, in my mind he should.

Members online