2023 week 5 MNF in Vegas

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that losing to the Raiders is not particularly encouraging. But if Love could have completed that TD pass to Watson in the end zone we win the game and everybody feels better. In any case, you're right he has a long leash, so might as well settle in and enjoy the ride.
It’s a game of inches all around. By the same measure if Carr doesn’t get hurt or the saints make their FG we’re perhaps heading into the bye as a one-win team right now. There’s been a few spots where we could’ve had a couple breaks to our way and got away with a win, but like I said we could also easily have found ourselves on a 4-game losing streak right now. It’s not like we’ve faced murderers row to open the season (IIRC we have one of the easier, if not easiest SOS in the league) and have really only had 1/5 games look comfortable or like a fairly safe win.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
So a qb has never tossed an int and not seen a lb or a safety?

come on now

you hate love and it’s okay. But don’t use that int as base argument

iirc if that lb isn’t there it’s a 1st down
Why wouldn't I use that argument. It was right to the linebacker into triple coverage. It really doesn't get much worse than that. I mean, what else would one use to argue their point? That's some pretty solid objective evidence that Love is not a good QB.

Krabs

Reaction score
Exactly this.

Can anyone point to ONE single facet of our offense where we can confidently say “yeah, that’s definitely trending in the right direction!”

Pass blocking?
Run blocking?
Short passing game?
Intermediate passing game?
Long passing game?
Screen passes?
Inside runs?
Outside runs?
Route running, separation, etc?
Scheme/playcalling?
Decision making/execution?

Perhaps it’s an unfair comparison and he’s just a total outlier but I keep going back to Purdy and SF. and it’s not even so much about Purdy himself per se. But they played against a MUCH better defense than LV and still it felt like Purdy had multiple wide open receivers on just about every play that he could take his pick to throw to. On the other hand it feels like Love rarely ever has guys getting open in that way; makes me think either our young WRs simply aren’t all they’re cracked up to be (or we’re just not that talented overall) or our offense isn’t schemed and/or executing in a way that maximizes the talent it has…
It all starts with the QB guys. He stunk. How is one supposed to execute with QB play like that?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like I said we could also easily have found ourselves on a 4-game losing streak right now. It’s not like we’ve faced murderers row to open the season
I hear you. I have a little voice whispering in my ear that we're back to the '70s again. But I'm really trying to give the kid his time, and not draw any conclusions this year. He's had spots where he's looked good and spots where he looked bad, as was expected. But I have to admit I'm a bit less optimistic than I was before the season started. I really thought the Vegas game was one we'd win.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that losing to the Raiders is not particularly encouraging. But if Love could have completed that TD pass to Watson in the end zone we win the game and everybody feels better. In any case, you're right he has a long leash, so might as well settle in and enjoy the ride.

That is the crazy thing, he tosses it half a second sooner with less arch or Watson doesn't essentially just concede body position with his mistimed "attacking" of the ball and comes down with it....many would be swinging illogically the other way potentially lol

Krabs

Reaction score
I like smooth rides @rmontro. This ride has been extremely bumpy. I don't think there will be much enjoyment until the draft. I think at this point we will be in the top 5ish for draft picks. One of those top QBs has to fall to us. I'm hoping Ewers is available.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mama said that there would be days like this. Ugly ugly game. Although I thought that the defense played better.

The timing was off between Love and the receivers. I gotta be honest. I questioned some of La Fleur's play calling. Dillon seemed to do better than he has in the past few games. But I don't know why Taylor was in there. I know he has more experience than Wilson but I like the shiftiness of Wilson

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like smooth rides @rmontro. This ride has been extremely bumpy. I don't think there will be much enjoyment until the draft. I think at this point we will be in the top 5ish for draft picks. One of those top QBs has to fall to us. I'm hoping Ewers is available.
Big question at draft time...are we better off with OT Alt or Fashanu protecting our QB (Love or other) for the next dozen years OR trying to replace Love with a top QB with this or similar OL?

Krabs

Reaction score
Big question at draft time...are we better off with OT Alt or Fashanu protecting our QB (Love or other) for the next dozen years OR trying to replace Love with a top QB with this or similar OL?
I think that is pretty easy from my viewpoint. I know others are saying to be patient, but this is a Not For Long league. I don't want to waste another season on seeing if Love is the guy. Replace Love with a new QB.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is pretty easy from my viewpoint. I know others are saying to be patient, but this is a Not For Long league. I don't want to waste another season on seeing if Love is the guy. Replace Love with a new QB.
...OR do as San Fran & build the lines & succeed with a 7th round QB? Walker & Tom may be capable starting OT's to protect a high 1st rounder. With a stud LT & pocket time I think Love can be "the guy".

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we'll be top 5, I think we're a bit better than that, for better or worse. Maybe top ten, or close to it. Do we pick a QB if a good one is available? Wow, prickly question. I think it might be a bit early for that, but if the right one falls...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest concern about Love is the alarming inaccuracy on anything beyond short range. This isn't a new issue, this was the main knock on him coming out of Utah State.

So while it's understandable and easy to say "give him time", there's also understandable skepticism that an issue that has always plagued him and hasn't gotten better is just going to somehow get better with repetition.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest concern about Love is the alarming inaccuracy on anything beyond short range. This isn't a new issue, this was the main knock on him coming out of Utah State.

So while it's understandable and easy to say "give him time", there's also understandable skepticism that an issue that has always plagued him and hasn't gotten better is just going to somehow get better with repetition.
I am concerned here too. And frankly he has not been accurate on short passes, either. Love is last or second-last in the league in CPOE. In adjusted completion percentage, Love is 31st in throws under 10 yards. He’s 30th on intermediate throws, and he’s 30th on deep balls. He has not been accurate in any sort of passing at the moment.

And that’s not to say he can’t be serviceable. I don’t think those numbers are totally representative of what he can actually do, but I don’t think they are to be completely discarded, either. At the end of the day I feel like accuracy is not a thing that many players can radically change. There are a few outliers, and some players certainly do make progress in that regard, but it’s exceedingly rare to see a generally inaccurate passer make many dramatic improvements with regards to their accuracy. And again - that can be workable - but it’s something to be wary of, too.

Krabs

Reaction score
I don't think we'll be top 5, I think we're a bit better than that, for better or worse. Maybe top ten, or close to it. Do we pick a QB if a good one is available? Wow, prickly question. I think it might be a bit early for that, but if the right one falls...
I think realistically we have 2 wins left this season. The Broncos out of the bye week and the Panthers near the end of the season. They will probably win one more in there somewhere. Maybe against the vikings. That's 4-5 wins. Panthers, Patriots, Bears, Broncos and Packers. I think we pick in the top 10 for sure. Pretty close to the top 5 is my guess. I personally have seen enough of Love to know he's not the guy. I really hope if one of the big QB's coming out this year falls to Green Bay they take him.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mama said that there would be days like this. Ugly ugly game. Although I thought that the defense played better.

The timing was off between Love and the receivers. I gotta be honest. I questioned some of La Freud's play calling. Dillon seemed to do better than he has in the past few games. But I don't know why Taylor was in there. I know he has more experience than Wilson but I like the shiftiness of Wilson
La Freud? lol

I suspect Taylor got some touches to give Dillon a breather. MLF has always done that.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...OR do as San Fran & build the lines & succeed with a 7th round QB? Walker & Tom may be capable starting OT's to protect a high 1st rounder. With a stud LT & pocket time I think Love can be "the guy".
If we can eventually build a team around Love like SF did our QB can be "the guy". MLF does have to simplify this offense. He tries to get too cute at times with these inexperienced players and it blows up in our faces.

Krabs

Reaction score

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to hear some rational, well thought out, logical reasoning that goes beyond "give him time" that explains why we should be optimistic that a major issue that Jordan Love has (accuracy), and still clearly has, is just going to fix itself over time when it clearly isn't better in his 4th year in the system. This isn't footwork or learning to go through progressions that just comes with repetition. This is a very big problem for a starting NFL quarterback.

I am not being facetious here, if you have some good reasonable explanations on why this is a correctable thing, I'd certainly be happy to hear it with an open mind. I'm just not willing to bury my head in the sand on it and pretend that it's just something that should automatically fix itself over time.

Krabs

Reaction score
I just want to hear some rational, well thought out, logical reasoning that goes beyond "give him time" that explains why we should be optimistic that a major issue that Jordan Love has (accuracy), and still clearly has, is just going to fix itself over time when it clearly isn't better in his 4th year in the system. This isn't footwork or learning to go through progressions that just comes with repetition. This is a very big problem for a starting NFL quarterback.

I am not being facetious here, if you have some good reasonable explanations on why this is a correctable thing, I'd certainly be happy to hear it with an open mind. I'm just not willing to bury my head in the sand on it and pretend that it's just something that should automatically fix itself over time.
I totally agree. I'm more than ready to move on. NFL stands for Not For Long and we can't wait another 3 years to figure out that this is not the guy. Sure, we have to stick it out this year with him, but when we are in the top 5 of the draft next year my hope is we take one of the big college QBs and move on.

JTiceman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Major factors in the difference between winners and losers in the NFL:
-Aggressive Defense. Cannot allow large cushion to any WR in today's game. An average QB reads that and can hit the easy target for a nice gain (or TD in the case of the Raider game where our DB was on the goalline and reacted to the WR far away once the ball was thrown.....too late, TD was made before the play started). The zone D we play is not a winning defense. Our front four cannot get it done alone on a consistent bases. Need to stack the box to stop the run, jam the TE at the LOS, have an guy track the RB out of the backfield. Our coverage of RBs leaving the backfield is non-existent, yet we have 3 or 4 guys in an area 10-15 yds downfield covering nobody tight. It's time to man up at the LOS and attack vs. waiting back and allowing opposing poor to average QBs pick us apart for long, time consuming drives the zap the energy out of the D.
-Pass early to set up the run. MLF's approach is to establish the run. Yet, we don't get the defense to loosen up from the LOS as we don't press the TE down the seam, RB in the flats, or the WR in the 10-15 yd crossing areas. A great O-line can help create a good running game, but a D can easily shut down the run and force the pass. That is where we get in trouble as we are not a good 3rd down team. And the delay handoff in the backfield in the shotgun formation is the worst play in all of football. Tear that page out of the playbook as it has gotten us nowhere for many years now, and creates 2nd or 3rd and long situations. If we can't get Love comfortable early with the pass, then he will definitely not be comfortable in the clutch with the pressure added on top. Speaking about Love, not only should he have kept the ball on the last INT in the MNF game, he could have run a country mile and kept us alive. MLF needs to design more rollouts to give him a shot to run for positive gains or to give the receivers more time to shake it open. Right now, the O-line without keeping extra RB and TE in to block, are getting beat badly and Love is in panic mode at the snap. It is nice to have a running game, but the NFL is a passing game in this day and time.
-Enthusiasm and Intensity. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the excitement on the Packers sideline. I recall watching the best teams since the early 60s, and the aggressive/more intense teams were difficult to beat. It's not all about the Xs and Os as the mindset has to be at a higher level for to gain the mental edge. Sometimes it appears that McCarthy is still coaching this team at critical phases of the game........

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK?

I said he didn't see him

BTW

Where were you for the wins??

This is why we should ban people that only come after a loss. It's only to say..I told u so
Please, no banning people for sounding off and/or being *****...I've been one on occasion. Any chance of early parole for a once-frequent poster currently on hiatus?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can eventually build a team around Love like SF did our QB can be "the guy". MLF does have to simplify this offense. He tries to get too cute at times with these inexperienced players and it blows up in our faces.
Exactly.

Members online