2023 Game 9 - Pittsburgh Pre Game Thread

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome back Chucktown. Looks like you joined up right before Super Bowl 45. Almost a lifetime ago it seems.

I'm thinking a little lower score than your prediction. I'd guess that Tomlin's offense is further along than the Pack's. So, first team to 17 wins. :roflmao:
Hard to play the Steelers and avoid injury. They are physical. Jaire suffered a lengthy injury a few years ago tackling a runner in the backfield against them. He was out until the playoff game and did not play well.

Reaction score
That is good to hear. Sacks and turnovers tell another story.
Exactly. That takeaway fact is exactly why Pitt is #13 in scoring D, but bottom 10 Defense in just about every major category.

Takeaways. The name of the game on Offense for MLF better be ball security. I hope he makes that abundantly clear. If the Packers go even or a + at turnover ratio? The Steelers will be in trouble imo
Pittsburgh D turnovers have been their calling card for success this year

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Hard to play the Steelers and avoid injury. They are physical.
Yeah...they are to be sure. I've only seen them once this season and would describe that brand of "physical" as more ... "after the whistle". Still, I've always been a Tomlin fan. Impresses me as a coach in tune with the whole game. Would be considered a "great" coach but has had one major shortcoming - a quality QB ... he got Rothlisberger largely at the tail end and got a little bit of the low hanging fruit and a SB Championship out of it.

Hate to be a pOOpie-head here ... but, the Pack seem to be good for what ails ya ... so, as I've said elsewhere, first team to 17 wins.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keys to GB winning are get the running game going from the start & minimize their passing game success. They'll try to get Pickens involved to keep his head in the game, so quick pressure &/or shutting him down are critical. From play 1 run the ball down their throats & set the smash-mouth tone to minimize their impressive pass rush. GB 24- Steelers 17.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless we are running really well; I would be for installing Rhyan at R guard and see if we do better.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom at center and nijman or Jones at rt
They say, at least, that they think Myers is playing well. Maybe he needs some new blood at R guard first. If that does not work; then I agree. I have not wanted to move Tom from R tackle as I think he could be a mainstay there for a long time. That talk of Crosby having his way with Tom was way overblown imho. Crosby did his damage when he lined up at other spots other than L DE or when he was circling behind the LOS to come in from another angle. And it would be good if just changing the R guard would help the running game.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah...they are to be sure. I've only seen them once this season and would describe that brand of "physical" as more ... "after the whistle". Still, I've always been a Tomlin fan. Impresses me as a coach in tune with the whole game. Would be considered a "great" coach but has had one major shortcoming - a quality QB ... he got Rothlisberger largely at the tail end and got a little bit of the low hanging fruit and a SB Championship out of it.

Hate to be a pOOpie-head here ... but, the Pack seem to be good for what ails ya ... so, as I've said elsewhere, first team to 17 wins.
The only thing I disagree with is that Rothlisberger started in '05 and Tomlin was hired in January of '07, so he definitely didn't get BR at the tail end of his career (gotta give credit to where it's due), but, I digress, it seems like he's definitely better than MLF as he's been head coaching for 15 and has yet to have a losing season. He's definitely correct though, we seem to be what teams need to boost their confidence going forward.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a side note, watching these Pro-Bowl promos and the fact that they are just kid games makes me feel old.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You really would want Jones making his first start blocking TJ Watt? Nijman was sitting out practice so he might not be 100%. I think even a 100% Nijman would have his hands full with Watt.
Everyone in the league has their hands full with Watt. Neutralizing him with minimal damage is a major victory for any offensive lineman that has to face him.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Why can’t we figure special teams out?

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In view of your choice of on-screen "handles", I assume you're an old guy like me who has a rep for grumbling and gurgling. Well, I'm right there with you. (By the way, Kramer is my hero. Wore #64 through grade-school, high school and one year of getting my a** kicked at the D-3 level) Well, I'm right with you - I don't want to make predictions and will watch until I can't anymore - abandoning a BIG TV for a radio broadcast in my garage (So much to do, so little daylight). ;)
I met Jerry Kramer and Willie Davis at the Knights of Columbus. I was just a kid.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. It wasn't meant to be but the wind blew it backwards into a lateral IMO.
I thought it was more like the way he threw it put some kind of reverse spin on it. Still, it seems simple to see where he let it go and where the receiver touched it. And it looked like about half a yard backwards.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhh, so you're a grumbling and gurgling old guy.

So am I.
I met Rich Wingo and Johnny Gray. We lived across the street from the old high school track. Johnny used to work out there. He let us hold his feet as he did sit ups.He is a really great guy! Still lives in my hometown, teaches at a school for the handicapped. I still see him around town once in awhile.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was more like the way he threw it put some kind of reverse spin on it. Still, it seems simple to see where he let it go and where the receiver touched it. And it looked like about half a yard backwards.
If he can get that kind of movement on a baseball I hope he follows Counsel to my Cubbies.

Members online

Latest posts