2023 53 Man Roster Speculation...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What's the * by Moore number designate? Curious if you forgot to make a note on that.

My only hesitation is keeping 3 QBs, I just don't think they do it and will roll with two as they always have, plus I don't think McGough is a risk to lose in waivers and can be here still on PS.

The more I watch this WR room over practices and preseason - a big part of me wonders if Toure is actually playing himself off this team. Not because he has done anything wrong but by the fact he hasn't done anything to stand out. Heath for sure has and argument is there Wicks too. I just wouldn't be shocked to see if the team is at 54, and 7 WRs they would pluck Toure off the list before the likes of letting Heath walk or Wicks....I think it is 6 and it is Toure or Dubose on the outside looking in.
Fully agree. No reason to keep McGough on the 53. Highly doubt he gets snatched up for another teams 53.

Now that you mention Toure, I am reminded about all the Spring hype about how great he looked. He hasn't stood out in the preseason, but still has 3 catches for 58 yards. He knows the playbook, knows Love, he will be on the 53. Seems like guessing on those last few WR's is always a crap shoot. I am thinking what they are doing in practice, might be more important that what we are seeing in preseason games. Meaning, does the WR know the playbook, is he running routes correctly, blocking assignments are solid, potential, health, etc. My eyes tell me these are the 6 WR's that will make the 53, but I also think it could be just 5 or maybe 7 that are put on the roster.

- Watson (100% locked)
- Doubs (100% locked)
- Reed (100% locked)
- Toure (99.9% locked)
- Wicks (health dependent, but 100% he is a Packer)
- Heath (85% he gets the #5 or #6 spot)

- DuBose (PS) Just hasn't done enough to make 53, but potential is there
- Melton (PS)

Wicks had a hamstring injury on Saturday. If it's somewhat serious, maybe they IR him and bring him back later in the season or try to stash him for a redshirt season. I don't doubt that he will be a Packer in some form this season. Heath has been impressive and DuBose hasn't done a whole lot, but has the measurables that GB likes in a WR. He is the toughest choice of the group. Expose him on the cut down and try to sneak him to the PS?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think they will go with 3 QBs because the 3rd is a sideline freebie on game day.

Sideline freebie or not, he still counts on the 53 man roster. Unless he has shown great potential, I'd prefer they use the roster spot on someone else. There is no game film on him (passing), can't see another team being interested in signing him.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sideline freebie or not, he still counts on the 53 man roster. Unless he has shown great potential, I'd prefer they use the roster spot on someone else. There is no game film on him (passing), can't see another team being interested in signing him.
It could be a practice squad QB who is activated on game days when they figure he might be needed. We're going to see where it goes in short order.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It could be a practice squad QB who is activated on game days when they figure he might be needed. We're going to see where it goes in short order.

He still needs to be on the 53 to be "game day activated in an emergency". Since there are a limited number of times that you can bring a player back and forth from the PS to the roster (3 times I think?), that probably is only going to happen (3rd QB dressed as emergency) for the Packers if Love or Clifford are questionable due to an injury.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fully agree. No reason to keep McGough on the 53. Highly doubt he gets snatched up for another teams 53.

Now that you mention Toure, I am reminded about all the Spring hype about how great he looked. He hasn't stood out in the preseason, but still has 3 catches for 58 yards. He knows the playbook, knows Love, he will be on the 53. Seems like guessing on those last few WR's is always a crap shoot. I am thinking what they are doing in practice, might be more important that what we are seeing in preseason games. Meaning, does the WR know the playbook, is he running routes correctly, blocking assignments are solid, potential, health, etc. My eyes tell me these are the 6 WR's that will make the 53, but I also think it could be just 5 or maybe 7 that are put on the roster.

- Watson (100% locked)
- Doubs (100% locked)
- Reed (100% locked)
- Toure (99.9% locked)
- Wicks (health dependent, but 100% he is a Packer)
- Heath (85% he gets the #5 or #6 spot)

- DuBose (PS) Just hasn't done enough to make 53, but potential is there
- Melton (PS)

Wicks had a hamstring injury on Saturday. If it's somewhat serious, maybe they IR him and bring him back later in the season or try to stash him for a redshirt season. I don't doubt that he will be a Packer in some form this season. Heath has been impressive and DuBose hasn't done a whole lot, but has the measurables that GB likes in a WR. He is the toughest choice of the group. Expose him on the cut down and try to sneak him to the PS?

You and @Dantés both are probably right, Toure is likely here, but if you asked me Ty - what percentage of his play causes him to be here from as a WR and his ST?

ST - 75% and WR - 25% for me personally right now is how it is starting to feel.

BUT, cat has the traits, knowledge of the playbook and for sure has proven capable if called on. If that is your WR5 type on a roster, I'm very happy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You and @Dantés both are probably right, Toure is likely here, but if you asked me Ty - what percentage of his play causes him to be here from as a WR and his ST?

ST - 75% and WR - 25% for me personally right now is how it is starting to feel.

BUT, cat has the traits, knowledge of the playbook and for sure has proven capable if called on. If that is your WR5 type on a roster, I'm very happy.
Whether Toure is the #4 or #5, I think he has a leg up on Heath, simply due to this being year #2 for Samori. Heath is his biggest competition (for now) as far as offensive snaps. Toure only had 5 receptions (10 targets) last year, but he played 112 offensive snaps, so that probably puts him on the field B4 Heath, for now.

As far as special teams, Toure only took 2 snaps on special teams last season, in the Jan. Viking game. I can't remember if they put him back to return a kick/punt or as a gunner? I think Nixon will be returning KO's and Reed will be returning punts, so I don't foresee Toure playing much special teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk on here about Center Josh Myers. Some even thinking he could get cut, that part I highly doubt! Anyway, sounds like he isn't going anywhere and is likely to be the starting center on opening Day.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk on here about Center Josh Myers. Some even thinking he could get cut, that part I highly doubt! Anyway, sounds like he isn't going anywhere and is likely to be the starting center on opening Day.

I have held the belief that it seems more and more all this center action has been more about finding who is precisely our other best center, whether that is best center not named Myers, or that is our best center - I think GB wasn't sure who the answer was...was it Hanson, Tom, Schneider, Runyan, Empey.....who?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have held the belief that it seems more and more all this center action has been more about finding who is precisely our other best center, whether that is best center not named Myers, or that is our best center - I think GB wasn't sure who the answer was...was it Hanson, Tom, Schneider, Runyan, Empey.....who?
That and I think they wanted to put some heat on Myers to up his game. I mentioned it before, but MLF or another coach made a comment several months ago that they wanted more consistent play out of Myers and that he has never been challenged for his starting spot.

My prediction when they line up in Chicago, barring any injuries of course:

David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom

Backups on the 53: Yosh Nijman, Rasheed Walker, Caleb Jones, Sean Rhyan

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That and I think they wanted to put some heat on Myers to up his game. I mentioned it before, but MLF or another coach made a comment several months ago that they wanted more consistent play out of Myers and that he has never been challenged for his starting spot.

My prediction when they line up in Chicago, barring any injuries of course:

David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom

Backups on the 53: Yosh Nijman, Rasheed Walker, Caleb Jones, Sean Rhyan
not far fetched...I think Rhyan is out. Walker may end up being the LT when Bakh gets traded to the Jets. Myers better start picking up inside rushers or he has to be out. A Center who doesnt pick up the rush or help is worthless.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Wicks had a hamstring injury on Saturday. If it's somewhat serious, maybe they IR him and bring him back later in the season or try to stash him for a redshirt season.
If they want him back off IR some time this season, he needs to make the initial 53. Otherwise IR before then is season ending. Dems da roolz.
.I think Rhyan is out
He is the only true inside OL in running for the top 9 as a backup. I don't think Hanson is any better and I don't want Tom inside except to finish the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If they want him back off IR some time this season, he needs to make the initial 53. Otherwise IR before then is season ending. Dems da roolz.
Good point, forgot about that. So I guess if it wasn't a season ending injury, Wicks will be on the 53. That would still leave a 6th spot, if the Packers decide to carry 6, for Malik Heath. I know every team has a "preseason Malik Heath", but he has been impressive, I just don't see him going unclaimed if the Packers don't put him on the 53.

I also hope they keep Cox on the 53 and not expose him to being poached. That is a guy with a ton of upside, at a very expensive position and I think one that wouldn't clear waivers because of it.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. I think talk of Myers getting cut is, well it's not realistic. You're right, the decision is who will back him up. Like it or not, Myers will be the starter. (I still haven't gotten over the draft selection of Myers over Humphrey, but I'm working on it........ ;))

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'll take another stab now as we're closer:

QB (3): The only question here is whether they'll keep a QB3 in light of the NFL's new rule, allowing a 3rd QB to be active without counting against the 46 man roster. I could see that happening (though not a lock), but I don't think McGough would necessarily be the guy; he's a place holder.

-J. Love, Utah State, #10
-S. Clifford, Penn State, #8
-A. McGough, Florida International, #17

RB (2): Given all that is now made possible by the expanded practice squad and gameday call-ups, I could see them just rolling with two backs again.

-A. Jones, Texas-El Paso, #33
-A. Dillon, Boston College, #28

FB/HB (1): This is assuming that Person's injury against the Patriots isn't long term. If it is, then Deguara would keep this spot. He might keep it regardless, but I don't think he's shown enough.

-H. Pearson, Appalachian State, #44

TE (3): I think the #1 position they'll shop for at cut downs is a youngish TE with some blocking ability.

-L. Musgrave, Oregon State, #88
-T. Kraft, South Dakota State, #85
-Roster Cut/Trade

WR (7): I am envisioning a scenario in which the Packers don't want to submit either Heath nor Dubose to waivers.

-C. Watson, North Dakota State, #9
-R. Doubs, Nevada, #87
-J. Reed, Michigan State, #11
-S. Toure, Nebraska, #83
-D. Wicks, Virginia, #13
-M. Heath, Mississippi, #18
-G. Dubose, Charlotte, #86

OL (8): This lineup assumes that they trade Nijman and trade/cut Newman. Tom and Runyan cross-training at center is what would allow them to roll with 8.

-D. Bakhtiari, Colorado, #69
-Z. Tom, Wake Forest, #50
-R. Walker, Penn State, #63
-C. Jones, Indiana, #72
-E. Jenkins, Mississippi State, #74
-J. Runyan, Michigan, #76
-S. Rhyan, UCLA, #75
-J. Myers, Ohio State, #71

DL (6): The top 5 are basically locks and there's been a steady drum beat of positive reports on Ford.

-K. Clark, UCLA, #97
-D. Wyatt, Georgia, #95
-T. Slaton, Florida, #93
-C. Wooden, Auburn, #96
-K. Brooks, Bowling Green, #94
-J. Ford, Miami, #99

LB (5): I thought about replacing Wilson with a younger option, but I just don't know who that would be.

-Q. Walker, Georgia, #7
-D. Campbell, Minnesota, #59
-I. McDuffie, Boston College, #58
-E. Wilson, Cincinnati, #45
-T. Carpenter, Georgia Tech, #24

ED (5): Hollins was the guy I cut out to make way for a QB3. If they only carry two QB's, I would have 6 edge.

-R. Gary, Michigan, #52
-P. Smith, Mississippi State, #91
-K. Enagbare, South Carolina, #55
-L. Van Ness, Iowa, #90
-B. Cox, Florida, #57

CB (5): Ballentine plays teams, so I have him making the roster as long as Stokes is on the PUP.

-J. Alexander, Louisville, #23
-R. Douglas, West Virginia, #29
-K. Nixon, South Carolina, #25
-C. Valentine, Kentucky, #37
-C. Ballentine, Washburn, #35

S (5): I picked Moore to end up as the other starter, but that assumes his injury isn't serious. Gaines over Leavitt is about age and also the fact that there aren't many slot corner options on the roster behind Nixon. One alternative I could see is that Gaines and Leavitt both make it and Ballentine doesn't.

-D. Savage, Maryland, #26
-T. Moore, Southern Mississippi, #30*
-R. Ford, Auburn, #20
-A. Johnson, Iowa State, #36
-I. Gaines, TCU, #38

ST (3):

-A. Carlson, Auburn, #17
-P. O'Donnell, Miami, #16
-M. Orzech, Azusa Pacific, #42

PUP: E. Stokes, Georgia, #21

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm wrong about keeping a QB3 just because of the rule. So I would scrap that and put Justin Hollins back on the roster. I am also beginning to think that the bottom of the depth chart in the secondary will be remade through claims/signings.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My 53 would look something like this:

Quarterback (2)​

IN: Jordan Love, Sean Clifford

By far one of the easiest decisions for Gute. They will have a shot to sign McGough or any other cut QB, to the PS.

Running back (2)​

IN: Aaron Jones, A.J. Dillon

PS: Patrick Taylor, Tyler Goodson or Emanuel Wilson (2 of the 3).

I can't imagine a world where all 3 of those guys get plucked off waivers. At least 1 will be there to put on the PS. I think all 3 bring different elements, I prefer Wilson.

Wide receiver (6)​

IN: Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, Samori Toure, Dontayvion Wicks, Malik Heath

PS: Hopefully DuBose doesn't get picked up, he just hasn't been healthy enough to have a great feel for. Maybe the Packers love him and keep 7 WR's.

Tight end (3)​

IN: Luke Musgrave*, Tucker Kraft*, Josiah Deguara

PS: Tyler Davis's season ending injury hurt depth here. Austin Allen should clear waivers, pick him up or any other cut TE. Too many other guys I would give that spot to than Allen or even Pearson(FB).

Offensive line (9)​

IN: David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan Jr., Zach Tom, Rasheed Walker, Sean Rhyan, Yosh Nijman, Caleb Jones

PS: Jake Hanson, Caleb Jones and any 2 of Jean Delance, James Empey, Cole Schneider, Kadeem Telfort, Luke Tenuta

The Packers have a lot of depth at OL, since many of them can play multiple positions. I would like to see a stronger OL, but I am not as worried about them as many are. They will come together and be one of the top 10 in the NFL, barring injuries.

Defensive line (5-6)​

IN: Kenny Clark, T.J. Slaton, Devonte Wyatt, Karl Brooks, Colby Wooden
BUBBLE: Jonathan Ford
PS: Chris Slayton, Antonio Moultrie
I like Ford, but would rather they keep Brenton Cox at OLB, if it came down to the 2 players.

Outside linebacker (6)​

IN: Preston Smith, Rashan Gary, Lukas Van Ness, JJ Enagbare, Justin Hollins, Brenton Cox
PS: Arron Mosby, Keshawn Banks, Kenneth Odumegwu (free spot).

I think one of the strongest positions on the Packers. Gute might even try to swing a trade of 1 of the top 6 to a needy team. I will be livid if they cut Cox and he gets claimed.

Inside linebacker (5)​

IN: De'Vondre Campbell, Quay Walker, Eric Wilson, Isaiah McDuffie, Tariq Carpenter
PS: Marvin Pierre, Jimmy Phillips Jr.

Carpenter being switched to ILB isn't a glowing endorsement for him, but he is a good special teams guy and that keeps him on the 53.

Cornerback (5)​

IN: Jaire Alexander, Rasul Douglas, Keisean Nixon, Carrington Valentine, Innis Gaines
PUP: Eric Stokes,
PS: Kiondre Thomas, Corey Ballentine

Stokes will probably start the season on the PUP. Which means maybe Gaines, Thomas or Ballentine temporally get that 5th spot. This could also be a place where Gute rolls the dice, only keeps 4 and signs 3 to the PS.

Safety (5-6)​

IN: Darnell Savage, Jonathan Owens, Tarvarius Moore, Rudy Ford, Dallin Leavitt
BUBBLE: Anthony Johnson Jr.
PS:
Benny Sapp III

AJ Jr. has been looking better and its a weak and thin group, so maybe he is kept. That said, I think Gute goes out and gets another S for the roster, after cutdowns.

Special Teams (3)​

IN: Anders Carlson (K), Pat O'Donnell (P), Matt Orzech (LS)
PS: Broughton Hatcher, Daniel Whelan

Whelan has a lot of potential, but I think they stick to the Vet and try to stash a 2nd punter on the PS.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they go with the new punter. He was holding for Carlson on the long field goal. Which I thought was a good sign. I just don't think that outside of returners, we have really special ST players. I think we improved because of a better coach. For instance, we don't get down there on the KO very often and start hitting ball carriers on the 12 yard line. So I don't really want to keep a player for ST skills. e.g., Leavitt. And why I don't think we miss out on much with Davis not here. I hope we roll with the TEs we have.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope they go with the new punter. He was holding for Carlson on the long field goal. Which I thought was a good sign. I just don't think that outside of returners, we have really special ST players. I think we improved because of a better coach. For instance, we don't get down there on the KO very often and start hitting ball carriers on the 12 yard line. So I don't really want to keep a player for ST skills. e.g., Leavitt. And why I don't think we miss out on much with Davis not here. I hope we roll with the TEs we have.
Davis was more of a loss for ST's. I guess I disagree on ST's with you. Maybe there wasn't 1 guy (besides Nixon) that really stood out last season, but as a whole, they were improved over the crap we had been seeing for too long. Bisaccia is a solid ST coach and I think Gute and MLF will want his input as to what guys he really wants and keeping some of the continuity from last season, might influence that.

KO coverage is probably going to be almost a non-factor this season, with Anders kicking, I am guessing most won't be returned.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let it go Joe. It's not like we traded up and shafted our next two drafts to get Mitch Trubisky while Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson were there.
Ha! Thanks Poppa. I feel much better with that perspective!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Quarterback (2)​

By far one of the easiest decisions for Gute. They will have a shot to sign McGough or any other cut QB, to the PS.

Running back (2)​

I can't imagine a world where all 3 of those guys get plucked off waivers. At least 1 will be there to put on the PS. I think all 3 bring different elements, I prefer Wilson.

Wide receiver (6)​

IN: Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, Samori Toure, Dontayvion Wicks, Malik Heath

PS: Hopefully DuBose doesn't get picked up, he just hasn't been healthy enough to have a great feel for. Maybe the Packers love him and keep 7 WR's.

Tight end (3)​

PS: Tyler Davis's season ending injury hurt depth here. Austin Allen should clear waivers, pick him up or any other cut TE. Too many other guys I would give that spot to than Allen or even Pearson(FB).

Offensive line (9)​

IN: David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan Jr., Zach Tom, Rasheed Walker, Sean Rhyan, Yosh Nijman, Caleb Jones

PS: Jake Hanson, Caleb Jones and any 2 of Jean Delance, James Empey, Cole Schneider, Kadeem Telfort, Luke Tenuta

The Packers have a lot of depth at OL, since many of them can play multiple positions. I would like to see a stronger OL, but I am not as worried about them as many are. They will come together and be one of the top 10 in the NFL, barring injuries.

Defensive line (5-6)​

I like Ford, but would rather they keep Brenton Cox at OLB, if it came down to the 2 players.

Outside linebacker (6)​

IN: Preston Smith, Rashan Gary, Lukas Van Ness, JJ Enagbare, Justin Hollins, Brenton Cox

I think one of the strongest positions on the Packers. Gute might even try to swing a trade of 1 of the top 6 to a needy team. I will be livid if they cut Cox and he gets claimed.

Inside linebacker (5)​

IN: De'Vondre Campbell, Quay Walker, Eric Wilson, Isaiah McDuffie, Tariq Carpenter

Carpenter being switched to ILB isn't a glowing endorsement for him, but he is a good special teams guy and that keeps him on the 53.

Cornerback (5)​

IN: Jaire Alexander, Rasul Douglas, Keisean Nixon, Carrington Valentine, Innis Gaines

Stokes will probably start the season on the PUP. Which means maybe Gaines, Thomas or Ballentine temporally get that 5th spot. This could also be a place where Gute rolls the dice, only keeps 4 and signs 3 to the PS.

Safety (5-6)​

PS: Benny Sapp III

AJ Jr. has been looking better and its a weak and thin group, so maybe he is kept. That said, I think Gute goes out and gets another S for the roster, after cutdowns.

Special Teams (3)​

Whelan has a lot of potential, but I think they stick to the Vet and try to stash a 2nd punter on the PS.
top 10 oline? I need what u r smokin...Bakh might not even be able to play full time. Myers is a weakness. Nijman not up to par.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Quarterback (2)​

Running back (2)​

Wide receiver (6)​

Tight end (3)​

Offensive line (9)​

Defensive line (5-6)​

Outside linebacker (6)​

Inside linebacker (5)​

Cornerback (5)​

Safety (5-6)​

PS: Benny Sapp III

Special Teams (3)​

As good a guess as any. Only thing is that you don’t need the “bubble” category. They could keep 6 at both DL and S in this scenario and still be at 53.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realistic shot at being top 5.
Respectful disagreements happen...right here I'm callin it...there is no way this oline is top 5 or 10. Bakh is no longer a premier LT, Jenkins is an above avg G, Myers and Hanson are subpar C, Runyon is ok, and Right Tackle we have a revolving door of 3 or 4 guys. Lets please be realistic and say this line is the weakest unit on the team other than having Barry as a DC which will show its ugly head shortly. My expectations this year are that of a 5-7 W team.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Respectful disagreements happen...right here I'm callin it...there is no way this oline is top 5 or 10. Bakh is no longer a premier LT, Jenkins is an above avg G, Myers and Hanson are subpar C, Runyon is ok, and Right Tackle we have a revolving door of 3 or 4 guys. Lets please be realistic and say this line is the weakest unit on the team other than having Barry as a DC which will show its ugly head shortly. My expectations this year are that of a 5-7 W team.
Who pooped in your Cheerios this morning? You are not aware that Hanson isn't on the team anymore?