2021 O-Line

Reaction score
Once we get Bakhtiari in the mix, my only real concern @RG. When Meyers comes back, I’d consider moving Patrick to RG, where he played last year. Newman gave up 6 pressures and 2 penalties last week @KC. He was one of the worst grades players out there. He needs a monster game to recoup or he needs more time. We don’t need our QB getting killed on National TV.
Baktiari
Jenkins
Meyers
Runyon or Patrick
Turner

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah! There are mistakes made by our O-line. Watching Love being hounded by half the KC roster on a couple of occasions, I was ready to suggest that the coaches remind these guys that they aren't bullfighters. But, through it all, with the injuries this year, and the juggling of the line, I'm really kind of impressed at how well they've actually done overall. A couple guys I thought were a waste of a roster spot are showing me that I may have under valued their ability. They may not be great, but they aren't getting paid $15 mill either. We couldn't afford them if they were getting that kind of money.

Credit to the coaching staff, for preparing these guys as well as they have.
It seems like year over year, no matter the apparent talent level of the player, draft position, or UDFA, the OL coaches do a superb job, as does MLF in moving them around on game day.
Once we get Bakhtiari in the mix, my only real concern @RG. When Meyers comes back, I’d consider moving Patrick to RG, where he played last year. Newman gave up 6 pressures and 2 penalties last week @KC. He was one of the worst grades players out there. He needs a monster game to recoup or he needs more time. We don’t need our QB getting killed on National TV.
Baktiari
Jenkins
Meyers
Runyon or Patrick
Turner
Looks good. I think we all jumped on the Newman bandwagon too soon. He'll be good, but he needs more time for now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Looks good. I think we all jumped on the Newman bandwagon too soon. He'll be good, but he needs more time for now.

Teams also now have good film on him and are discovering and attacking his weaknesses. Not unlike any position, you need to keep improving and fix those weaknesses before they are used against you.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams also now have good film on him and are discovering and attacking his weaknesses. Not unlike any position, you need to keep improving and fix those weaknesses before they are used against you.
Yeah this occurs at the player, position group, and team levels. Granted KC has a lousy D, but they still have a ton of offensive weapons. Almost seems like opponents have figured it out starting with the last SB. Then it's the job of the HC to vary the game plan. I think that was MM's downfall. Success for a number of years, and then it's like the D knows what's being called. And you can see the difference in results between MM and MLF.

What has surprised me the most about this version of the Packers is the D. Started out pretty lousy. Now guys are flying to the ball. I don't really know what caused it, but it's a welcome change when the O doesn't need to score 30 or 40 points or more to win.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like year over year, no matter the apparent talent level of the player, draft position, or UDFA, the OL coaches do a superb job, as does MLF in moving them around on game day.
Well, imho, somebody sure blew it against tampa last year. Moving Turner to L tackle was bad...really bad. And kind of an important decision. But otherwise I agree with you.

Reaction score
After watching a similar type game Thursday with Miami sending the house into that Baltimore O line; Love didn't look too much different from Jackson, Tua or Brissett

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, imho, somebody sure blew it against tampa last year. Moving Turner to L tackle was bad...really bad. And kind of an important decision. But otherwise I agree with you.
Yeah unfortunately a lot of good comes to nothing if a team doesn't win it all. Bill Bellichek said it best, "At the end of the season there is 1 winner and 31 plane crashes." In the meantime, we hope and the team prepares.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bak listed as doubtful. Its really getting on my nerves how conservative this medical staff is. He got surgery Jan 7th so its been a little over 10 months for his recovery. An ACL today takes 9 months to recover from and thats for average joes. According to https://blog.gameready.com/blog/acl-surgery-recovery-101-timeline-tips amateur athletes recover in 8 months. We need him back so we can get Newman off the field. I wasnt very high on him out of the draft but I was after TC. During the regular season he has been downright awful.

Its not just that he gets beatin pass pro. He gets insta-beat where the play doesnt even get a chance which is just inexcusable at guard. He is not ready to play at this level.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GB staff want/need Bakhtiari for the playoffs push. So far, the cobbled-together OL has contributed to allow a 7-2 start.

They know what is best in the long-run so GB must forge ahead with the best 5 available. If Newman isn't a best-five anymore then the staff will slide Jenkins inside & play Nijman at LT. Their call. When it makes the most sense we'll have Back back.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bak listed as doubtful. Its really getting on my nerves how conservative this medical staff is. He got surgery Jan 7th so its been a little over 10 months for his recovery. An ACL today takes 9 months to recover from and thats for average joes. According to https://blog.gameready.com/blog/acl-surgery-recovery-101-timeline-tips amateur athletes recover in 8 months. We need him back so we can get Newman off the field. I wasnt very high on him out of the draft but I was after TC. During the regular season he has been downright awful.

Its not just that he gets beatin pass pro. He gets insta-beat where the play doesnt even get a chance which is just inexcusable at guard. He is not ready to play at this level.
They paid Bahk a huge amount of money last year. He is one of the few top players we can safely say will be on the team next year…. Whether he can play or not. I’m sure they want to make sure they don’t jeopardize that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing abnormal about the time BakhT is taking to return from that injury. It's about 10-12 months for NFL offensive lineman to return. As far as I'm concerned he's right on schedule. There's zero reason to rush it and end up right back where we started.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing abnormal about the time BakhT is taking to return from that injury. It's about 10-12 months for NFL offensive lineman to return. As far as I'm concerned he's right on schedule. There's zero reason to rush it and end up right back where we started.
Agree completely. When evaluating the recovery time from an ACL there is no set time. It depends on the athlete - size, position played, conditioning done during rehab, intangibles like drive - and then - it's still up tp the medical staff.

In Bakh's case, or any 300 plus pound lineman, it's gonna take longer than a 220 lb tail back. He's waited this long. Make sure it's healed. Foolish to rush it, and the Pack medical staff is notoriously conservative. This year, I want Bakh back for the SB run.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bak listed as doubtful. Its really getting on my nerves how conservative this medical staff is.
Would you rather you give him his OK to play and have him tear it again? I mean we all want him back, but the Packers are 7-2 without him. I think its wise to wait until real doctors clear him for play and not us internet doctors. ;)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you rather you give him his OK to play and have him tear it again? I mean we all want him back, but the Packers are 7-2 without him. I think its wise to wait until real doctors clear him for play and not us internet doctors. ;)
I know you're right Poker, but understand KID's sentiment. But at this stage, and with a very manageable Seattle team, it's probably best to sit him for another week. As for Rodgers, something tells me we won't find out until Sunday morning. It sounds optimistic, only because MLF is saying next to nothing.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm definitely in favor of the Packers being cautious with Bakhtiari. In addition it takes most offensive line close to a year to fully recover from an ACL tear.

Reaction score
I just hope we stay relatively healthy this Sunday.

We’ve had a relatively tough injury season starting with 3 of our best 5 players multiple months on an injury designation. Bak, Za’Darius and J’aire and (add Meyers) is a lot of talent not on the field.

If we can get 3 of those 4 into the fold shortly after the bye week? I’m totally fine trying to win some games in the meantime and allowing them proper time to recoup. I’d rather be a 3-4 seed going into playoffs healthy than a 1-2 seed banged up.
Bak-Jenkins-Meyers-Runyon-Turner after Bye
Add ZaDarius and J’aire before playoffs. I’m good

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope we stay relatively healthy this Sunday.

We’ve had a relatively tough injury season starting with 3 of our best 5 players multiple months on an injury designation. Bak, Za’Darius and J’aire is a lot of talent not on the field.
Yeah which makes the 7-2 record amazing. Where does Jaire stand on a return?

Reaction score
Yeah which makes the 7-2 record amazing. Where does Jaire stand on a return?
They’re keeping cards close to the chest. Word was they were proceeding with caution with J’aire, but thrilled his recovery is going well. He could’ve went season ending with a surgery, so anything with J’aire is a bonus. I think it’s wise to slow roll him and give him another 6 weeks.
I think he’ll be back somewhere at earliest after the bye 4-8 weeks range. But no longer than our 1st playoff game. That’s my take

I think Bak will play either @MN or against Rams at home. Might be smart to have him come in 2nd half and finish out the game next week to ramp him up.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF mentioned this week that Alexander's rehab is going well but he's still a long way out before being able to play again.
Thanks, that's a bummer. Well, I hope he can at least be available for the playoffs. Yep, wishful thinking but that's looking good just given the Northern conference.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the team had to "activate" Bakh in order for him to play this year. He can be on the active roster in pads, but may not be ready to go yet but close.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the team had to "activate" Bakh in order for him to play this year. He can be on the active roster in pads, but may not be ready to go yet but close.
Yeah good point Lambeau. They had to make room for him on the 53 or IR him for the rest of the year. Doesn't mean he has to play. Hopefully we see him against MN.