2021 O-Line

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I'm gonna start this with a comparison of last year's Week 1 starters and their positions, to this years Week 1 starters and their positions.

LT: David Bakhtiari
LG: Elgton Jenkins
C: Corey Linsley
RG: Lucas Patrick
RT: Billy Turner

2021:

LT: Billy Turner
C: Jake Hanson or potentially Lucas Patrick
RG: Lucas Patrick, or Jon Runan Jr.
RT: Jon Runyan Jr. Or Yosh Nijman

This is a problem! Yes we know Bakhtiari is coming back this year, probably after starting the year on PUP. So by week 8 at the latest our Tackle situation is fixed. But the interior line is a rebuild, and we potentially have a guy who has proven he can ONLY play Center once again playing right guard for most if not all year. We also have a guy who was our swing tackle last year potentially starting at RT.

We lost Linsley and Taylor to FA, if we had Taylor I would be less concerned about the right side of the line and we have very little experience at C no matter who starts.

YES I'm panicking I admit this. But yes this time I think I'm right to panic!

Also I think we'd agree that we need OL help, just like last year we probably needed either TE or WR help (no more than 1) and didn't really get it, and this year we'll probably draft 3 of each.

Over the last 10 years this organization despite it's success has chased problems, always being 1 year behind their needs. If they do that this year our QB 1 might end up being QB RIP.

Yes Rodgers needs help, but we need to build the wall again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sizing or trying to decide the OL at the present time is an impossible feat - draft and post-draft veteran FA signings still most likely occurring.

If you told me we were entering the season without a single addition to our OL room, I'd bet the starting OL would be:

LT - Turner
LG - Jenkins
C - Patrick
RG - Runyon
RT - Nijman

I personally believe one of our starting Tackles entering the season is not on the roster yet.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking they try to get Veldheer back for tackle depth. But you gotta think O-line is at the top of the list of needs going into the draft. Especially now that they re-signed King (who I loathe).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Given the uncertainty of the starting OL, as well as depth, I was a bit surprised and disappointed that the Packers didn't resign Lane Taylor, especially given what the Texans just signed him for: $1.127 million with a $137,500 signing bonus and a $990,000 salary. $262,500 of that salary is guaranteed.

Maybe he wanted out of Green Bay and back with James Campen in Houston? If he didn't, the Packers must feel that they have better options. I expect they will be looking for an almost instant starter on the OL, either in round #1 or #2.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sizing or trying to decide the OL at the present time is an impossible feat - draft and post-draft veteran FA signings still most likely occurring.

If you told me we were entering the season without a single addition to our OL room, I'd bet the starting OL would be:

LT - Turner
LG - Jenkins
C - Patrick
RG - Runyon
RT - Nijman

I personally believe one of our starting Tackles entering the season is not on the roster yet.

My concern is that we may not have the cap room to sign anyone but draft picks. I would agree that one of the starters isn't on the roster, I think if we get the RIGHT guy we could plug and play at RT with a draft pick.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given the uncertainty of the starting OL, as well as depth, I was a bit surprised and disappointed that the Packers didn't resign Lane Taylor, especially given what the Texans just signed him for: $1.127 million with a $137,500 signing bonus and a $990,000 salary. $262,500 of that salary is guaranteed.

Maybe he wanted out of Green Bay and back with James Campen in Houston? If he didn't, the Packers must feel that they have better options. I expect they will be looking for an almost instant starter on the OL, either in round #1 or #2.

To be honest with you I thought Taylor was under contract when we lost Linsley, and I was screaming through multiple posts we needed Linsley. I think if we had Taylor we would have one of the right side spots filled. My concern would have been with Taylor on the team he's had 2 season ending injuries. Right now I'm looking at our O-Line, and at Rodgers, tipping my head and thinking 'good luck'.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm only really concerned with RT to start the season. If Turner flips back to RT once Bhaktiari is back, all is well. If Turner stays at RT and Nijman is our initial starter at LT, then I'm a little worried there. But again, fine when Bhak returns.

Jenkins is a great LG.

Patrick filled in for Linsley well enough in 2019 that I wondered if the team would cut Linsley for 2020.

RG is the best spot to hide a weak player if you have one.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We’re pretty set on iOL. Taylor doesn’t help that much.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm only really concerned with RT to start the season. If Turner flips back to RT once Bhaktiari is back, all is well. If Turner stays at RT and Nijman is our initial starter at LT, then I'm a little worried there. But again, fine when Bhak returns.

Jenkins is a great LG.

Patrick filled in for Linsley well enough in 2019 that I wondered if the team would cut Linsley for 2020.

RG is the best spot to hide a weak player if you have one.

Agree with all that, my bigger concern...and I hate to say it, is injuries and depth. It seems to be a given that you pretty much lose a starter on the OL every year. Whether its for the season or for several games, you need that 6th and 7th guy that is ready to start on any give Sunday. Right now, the Packers don't have that. Good news, they have time to develop, draft, sign, trade for it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was the guy that was injured... I looked it up - Simon Stepaniak. He has no experience except for a year of learning the plays.

Not a lot of depth. My guess is that the team felt Taylor was not going to be available health-wise. They will probably add a veteran who gets cut for near the minimum. Is Earl Dotson available?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was the guy that was injured... I looked it up - Simon Stepaniak. He has no experience except for a year of learning the plays.

Not a lot of depth. My guess is that the team felt Taylor was not going to be available health-wise. They will probably add a veteran who gets cut for near the minimum. Is Earl Dotson available?

Couple draftees, a Vehldeer type signing and we still have solid depth. Runyon will be in year 2 after answering the call as a rookie numerous times. Patrick I think will battle for Center but is experienced at multiple spots for us and could be main reserve. Hanson will also be in year two and if he doesn't win center job you gotta think decent chance at being there if needed.

Add in Nijman now what in 4th year? Turner can be swing guy all around depending who comes in and when Bahk is back.

Ideal...maybe not but I expect it to come together.

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I'm gonna start this with a comparison of last year's Week 1 starters and their positions, to this years Week 1 starters and their positions.

2021:

This is a problem! Yes we know Bakhtiari is coming back this year, probably after starting the year on PUP. So by week 8 at the latest our Tackle situation is fixed. But the interior line is a rebuild, and we potentially have a guy who has proven he can ONLY play Center once again playing right guard for most if not all year. We also have a guy who was our swing tackle last year potentially starting at RT.

We lost Linsley and Taylor to FA, if we had Taylor I would be less concerned about the right side of the line and we have very little experience at C no matter who starts.

Also I think we'd agree that we need OL help, just like last year we probably needed either TE or WR help (no more than 1) and didn't really get it, and this year we'll probably draft 3 of each.

Over the last 10 years this organization despite it's success has chased problems, always being 1 year behind their needs. If they do that this year our QB 1 might end up being QB RIP.

Yes Rodgers needs help, but we need to build the wall again.
It can look scary on the face. I think you’ll either see GB sign a veteran presence FA or draft an O-Line early rounds 1-3 range to give us more competition

Reaction score
Add in Nijman now what in 4th year? Turner can be swing guy all around depending who comes in and when Bahk is back.
Nijman is in year 3. We stole him as a project in 2019 as a UDFA. I say that because the overall consensus was a mid day 3 area draft projection. Everyone knew he’d need work, but he has the measurable of an ideal OT. 6’7 X 315-325lbs. He also killed OT at the combine (ran a 4.83X40)

I think he’s developing into a good backup and will likely see some time in 2021. One good sign is that he was the 2nd player GB tendered (just after Aaron Jones) this year.
He’s been in this system now and he’ll need to prove that his training investment paid off.
I also like he played both LT and RT for the Hokies. That’s a big time football program. btw, I’ve had 2 nieces and 1 nephew graduate from there over the last 10 years.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
last year's Week 1 starters ...

nitpick. Turner didn't start. Jenkins was at RT and Taylor started at guard per PFR. Runyon came in for Taylor and Wagner for Patrick based on the snap counts. Stats don't say if Jenkins moved inside or not when Wagner came in and I don't recall.

That tells me if Turner handles LT at the start then they will have no issues with Jenkins playing RT until Bakh returns. Patrick, Hanson, Runyon, Stepchild, and draftee can figure out the inside. Nijmann and any draftee need to beat out Turner to start at either tackle spot.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would not be surprised to see the Pack bring in a veteran post-draft, maybe even bring Wagner back at league minimum. My guess is they plan on drafting an o-lineman within the first four rounds, but the draft does not always fall according to plan.

Actually, the o-line, important as it is, is fairly low on my list of concerns - Secondary, defensive line and wide receiver are more pressing needs, IMHO.

Reaction score
Would not be surprised to see the Pack bring in a veteran post-draft, maybe even bring Wagner back at league minimum. My guess is they plan on drafting an o-lineman within the first four rounds, but the draft does not always fall according to plan.

Actually, the o-line, important as it is, is fairly low on my list of concerns - Secondary, defensive line and wide receiver are more pressing needs, IMHO.
I agree. What kinda saved us is the 3 OL taken last year and the decision to tender Nijman. If a stellar OL is there at 29-62-whatever so be it. I really like how Nijman plays the Run, he needed help more in the Pass sets from what I remember reading. His colleAthleticism and Measurable have never been an issue for him. He lost some time in his Rookie season with a late season hand injury, but this is the time frame he should be coming to fruition. He needs to be tested heavy earlier this season.

I’m with you that if we don’t find someone inside 3-4 rounds at OL, we could consider signing 1 known veteran. We can’t expect to go all season injury-less and we saw what happens when Rodgers is kept clean. We also saw what happens Rodgers under duress. Super important to keep him clean.

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they don't draft an ol in the 1st rd..unless it's a surprise stud that is somehow still there. I think they still have a big hole at slot receiver that needs to be addressed, but that dline depth is still pretty bad..although it is a weak draft for dl

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree the offensive line needs to be improved before the start of next season. I would feel most confident with moving Jenkins to left tackle and keep Turner on the right side. The Packers might get by with an early draft pick starting on the interior with Patrick at center and Runyan at right guard.

Most of the times I agree with your knowledgable take but not in this case. I would definitely be worried about Turner starting at left tackle for a number of games.

Jenkins was at RT and Taylor started at guard per PFR. Runyon came in for Taylor and Wagner for Patrick based on the snap counts. Stats don't say if Jenkins moved inside or not when Wagner came in and I don't recall.

Jenkins moved to left guard once Patrick got injured with Wagner playing RT. Runyan replaced Taylor at RG.

I hope the Packers don't feel that way as in my opinion only the defensive line is a more pressing need to address.

I hope they don't draft an ol in the 1st rd..unless it's a surprise stud that is somehow still there. I think they still have a big hole at slot receiver that needs to be addressed, but that dline depth is still pretty bad..although it is a weak draft for dl

As mentioned above the offensive line seems to be in more dire need of an upgrade than the receiving corps.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still of the opinion that Runyan and the other draft picks from last year are going to end up playing a key role in how good this line ends up being.
That said, I'm still looking for a high draft pick at tackle and a veteran free agent signing after the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm still of the opinion that Runyan and the other draft picks from last year are going to end up playing a key role in how good this line ends up being.
That said, I'm still looking for a high draft pick at tackle and a veteran free agent signing after the draft.

I agree that Runyan will most likely be a huge factor in the success of the offensive line. I'm not convinced about the other two with Hanson expected to be a backup and Stepaniak currently a question mark.

I'm convinced Gutekunst will use an early rounder to draft a tackle but don't anticipate the Packers to sign a veteran in free agency.

Reaction score
I'm convinced Gutekunst will use an early rounder to draft a tackle but don't anticipate the Packers to sign a veteran in free agency.

It’s hard to hit the bullseye 3 times in one draft. If we get even 2 OL starters out of last years 3 OL? that’s a strong result. Quality Backup OL is an important aspect also. I see at least 1 of Nijman, Hanson or Stepaniak taking a starting role at some point. At this point they range from projects to quality backups. I agree it would be wise to get a replacement for either Wagner’s or Linsleys role (in some capacity either indirectly or directly.. take the best available in the draft and shuffle roles if necessary)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It’s hard to hit the bullseye 3 times in one draft. If we get even 2 OL starters out of last years 3 OL? that’s a strong result. Quality Backup OL is an important aspect also. I see at least 1 of Nijman, Hanson or Stepaniak taking a starting role at some point. At this point they range from projects to quality backups.

It would be awesome if two out of Runyan, Hanson and Stepaniak develop into decent starters, especially considering all of them were drafted on day three last year.

At this point I don't consider any of Nijman, Hanson or Stepaniak a quality backup and wouldn't feel comfortable about any of them starting though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hansen, Stepaniak and Nijman haven't played in the the NFL. If any one of the three is a good backup, I would be happy. Obviously, Gute needs to get a tackle in the first or second round. If any of the three completely unproven players above has to be a starter for the time Bakhtiari is on the PUP list, it could derail the season if Rodgers is running for his life. The o line minus Bakhtiari against the Bucs was ugly. I hope Gute studied the film and doesn't waste the first round pick on a project player that sits on the bench.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hansen, Stepaniak and Nijman haven't played in the the NFL. If any one of the three is a good backup, I would be happy. Obviously, Gute needs to get a tackle in the first or second round. If any of the three completely unproven players above has to be a starter for the time Bakhtiari is on the PUP list, it could derail the season if Rodgers is running for his life. The o line minus Bakhtiari against the Bucs was ugly. I hope Gute studied the film and doesn't waste the first round pick on a project player that sits on the bench.

Not true at all. Yosh has played in the NFL and was on gameday roster all 16 games last season.

*this is not a defense of the idea of starting Yosh, merely a correction.