2016 Playoffs round 1 -- Giants

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to do the research, but someone told me he heard on a sports talk show that the winner of every post season game between the Packers and Giants in history went on to win the championship/Super Bowl. Why even bother playing any other games? Just have the Lombardi Trophy presentation after the game.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to do the research, but someone told me he heard on a sports talk show that the winner of every post season game between the Packers and Giants in history went on to win the championship/Super Bowl. Why even bother playing any other games? Just have the Lombardi Trophy presentation after the game.

hum.... we need something to watch for the next month?

D

Deleted member 6794

You make that comment but who are the guys that are better? Who are the guys that are in game shape? Who knows Capers system? Maybe there are some guys but it seems a little disingenuous to say TT could have surely picked up a guy in January without saying who

I was just answering a question by another posters about whether playoff teams are allowed to sign free agents at the moment. I wasn't advocating for the Packers to do it.

Do you think a guy can come in cold and learn our defensive schemes in 3 days well enough to play? Waters has been practicing with the team for months. It isn't ideal certainly, but neither are all the injuries.

As I've posted in another thread there's no way a player would be able to learn the Packers defensive scheme or get in game shape to play in a playoff game within three days. But that's another reason why I wanted Thompson to add a veteran cornerback before the trade deadline.

JPP won't be back until the Champ game if we get there.

So you're saying that Pierre-Paul won't play again until the 2017 season. ;)

While that's true the Packers and Giants have only met twice in the playoffs outside of an NFL championship game with those games of course occurring during the 2007 and '11 season with the Giants winning both of them
before going on to beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

The teams have played each other in three league championship games with the Packers winning in 1944, '61 and '62.

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Giggle"
Because as soon as we figure out a pattern to winning, the football gods chortle.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that scares me is the thought that suddenly Eli is going to wake up and play great rather than as his mediocre self that he's been pretty much the whole season.

The Giants defense is superb, but their strength is their secondary, not their pass rush. If the OL + a good game plan can keep the pressure off Rodgers, then even that secondary won't be able to stop Rodgers. It will give the Packers a great chance of winning the game.

KTH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that scares me is the thought that suddenly Eli is going to wake up and play great rather than as his mediocre self that he's been pretty much the whole season.

The Giants defense is superb, but their strength is their secondary, not their pass rush. If the OL + a good game plan can keep the pressure off Rodgers, then even that secondary won't be able to stop Rodgers. It will give the Packers a great chance of winning the game.

Dead on. Our D does not get after the QB like the past. And as I said before, Eli would get hot around the end of the year on our past 2 SB runs. It would be sudden if he played well. If Perkins really does give them a running game, it could make a difference. But last time I checked, we're not facing Washington's defense tomorrow.

If Rogers stays hot, I'm concerned. But he won't have much margin for error.

bklyn1028

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 2 cents:
Unless Eli finally wakes up, Rogers out shoots us 3 to 1. However, the old saying is true:
Offenses win games, defenses win championships. I believe IF Eli wakes up, this will be a shoot out.
If he doesn't, Rogers is way too hot to lose.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key to the game is if the Packers inside pass rush can get in Eli's face. He isn't mobile enough to buy time so he can be forced ro make errant throws if the pressure is in his face. If pressure only comes from the outside or is sorely lacking, Eli will put up big numbers. If Matt Barkley can throw for nearly 400 yards then Eli surely can with his set of receivers. That's my take. The game will be won or lost by the inside pass rush of the the Packers. If I'm Capers I'm dialing up a lot of stunts and inside blitzes tomorrow.

GiantsWorld

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strength vs Strength in this game. Giants D vs Packers O.

Giants O is struggling bad this year BUT they have a lot of potential if Eli has a clean pocket to throw. Odell Cruz and Shep are 3 solid WRs. And they may throw in Tavaress King a bit too to stretch the field. And Perkins is clearly our best running back and it's not a shock to see the run game get much improved while his work load increased. He should get 20 runs.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all about getting to Eli and not turning the ball over. If those two things happen, I think our chances are very good.

bklyn1028

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Eli doesn't give the ball away, and concentrate on ball security, it'll let the D control the game. Coughlin said at the end of the Giants/49ers NFC championship game right before OT, the team that wins this is the one who doesn't make a mistake.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do we root for Detroit to be Seattle tonight, or does it matter?

I'm rooting for Detroit as the Lions winning is the only possibility for the NFCCG to be held at Lambeau.

However, the old saying is true:
Offenses win games, defenses win championships.

Actually that old saying hasn't been true over the last 10 years.

Odell Cruz and Shep are 3 solid WRs.

There's no doubt Beckham is an elite and Shepard a solid wide receiver but Cruz has significantly regressed because of injuries.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit I read today in my local paper.

Using player salaries only, the Packers spent $153,019 per play run during the regular season.

The average cost/point scored for the Packers was $355,423.

SuperBowl84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm worried about the Giants D they may be able to slow us down enough and make big plays against our secondary. I still think we win, but I have some worries.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We're gonna get to Eli Tomorrow. Anyone remember Marshal Newhouse? He is starting tomorrow at RT. I expect that to get exposed real quick. Our run defense is a bit underrated so Eli is gonna have to make some tough throws under pressure. Usually with Eli that means some picks.

I really hope Cobb is a full go. Add him to what is already clicking and our offense is like a "Ferrari with snow tires." They are down 2 pass rushers with one being JPP. They couldn't get to Rodgers with JPP earlier in season so I don't see it happening now on a slower track. If O-Line plays like they have been and Rodgers remains hot Packers win this game and cover easy.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have added Aaron Ripkowski to the injury report today. He's listed as questionable with a shoulder injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

We're gonna get to Eli Tomorrow. Anyone remember Marshal Newhouse? He is starting tomorrow at RT. I expect that to get exposed real quick.

The Giants will start Bobby Hart at right tackle for tomorrow's game.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our Full back was just added ti injury report shoulder, questionable.

Members online