2016 Playoffs round 1 -- Giants

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bobby Rainey was the Giants leading rusher when we played N.Y. in October. He had a whopping 22 yards, but only 5 carries. Perkins was limited to 2 carries (9 yards) and Jennings didn't play due to injury. I expect the Giants to have a much better running game than the one the Packers saw in October (15 rushes for 43 yards) and hope they don't under estimate what Jennings and Perkins could do.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bobby Rainey was the Giants leading rusher when we played N.Y. in October. He had a whopping 22 yards, but only 5 carries. Perkins was limited to 2 carries (9 yards) and Jennings didn't play due to injury. I expect the Giants to have a much better running game than the one the Packers saw in October (15 rushes for 43 yards) and hope they don't under estimate what Jennings and Perkins could do.

I believe it´s absolutely essential for the Packers defense to be able to contain the Giants rushing attack in subpackages. Otherwise it will be close to impossible for the team´s struggling and depleted secondary to cover NY´s receivers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack played zero snaps in their base defense because we had a depleted secondary. There wasn't as much a focus on stopping the run as much as there was a focus on containing the Giants receivers and masking our CB deficiencies. The Giants' anemic rushing attack was what made that job so much easier.

Another key is getting to Eli early. When he gets into a rhythm he can be deadly, but he doesn't recover well if you get him to show that saddened poop face early in the game.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I may be wrong but this Giants team doesn't feel like any of the Giants team that have beaten the Packers in the playoffs. This is a good team don't get me wrong but they just don't seem like the teams we have lost to in the past

1. The offense isn't very good. Just 19.4 points per game.
2. The defensive line is not a great pass rush defense. They are middle of the pack in sacks.

I don't put much stock in how many ppg they are averaging. Our secondary has the tendency to make mediocre offenses score much more than usual, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Pack played zero snaps in their base defense because we had a depleted secondary. There wasn't as much a focus on stopping the run as much as there was a focus on containing the Giants receivers and masking our CB deficiencies. The Giants' anemic rushing attack was what made that job so much easier.

The Packers wouldn´t have been able to continue to line up in subpackages if the Giants would have been able to run the ball successfully though.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't put much stock in how many ppg they are averaging. Our secondary has the tendency to make mediocre offenses score much more than usual, in my opinion.

That is true but the last two weeks the Packers defense has given up 13 and 14 points until garbage time (when the game was out of reach). The Giants have not reached 20 points in their last 5 games averaging under 16 ppg over that span. This really is a weakness vs weakness matchup on one side and a strength vs strength matchup on the other side.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is true but the last two weeks the Packers defense has given up 13 and 14 points until garbage time (when the game was out of reach). The Giants have not reached 20 points in their last 5 games averaging under 16 ppg over that span. This really is a weakness vs weakness matchup on one side and a strength vs strength matchup on the other side.

Versus a Lions team with no running backs and a QB with a busted up passing hand, and a Vikings team with one of the leagues worst offence that still managed to light them up for big plays, and would have scored more had they not continuously shot themselves in the foot.
Go back one week further and they got lit up by the Bears and their backup.
Sorry, nothing anyone here says will give me any confidence in this defense.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our pass rush shows up and Aaron continues to play in God mode, I think we'll be okay.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Versus a Lions team with no running backs and a QB with a busted up passing hand, and a Vikings team with one of the leagues worst offence that still managed to light them up for big plays, and would have scored more had they not continuously shot themselves in the foot.
Go back one week further and they got lit up by the Bears and their backup.
Sorry, nothing anyone here says will give me any confidence in this defense.

That was not meant to give confidence in the defense except to say they are playing a little better. This will be a bend but dont break defense that relies on turnovers and the other team to make mistakes. Those are both things Eli has done.

This was mainly to point out the Giants offense is similarly weak to the Packer's defense. They simply have not been good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have confidence they're going to go in and shut anyone down. But I know they can go in and play well enough and give our offense another opportunity or 2 to win this game.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to win, we just have to, the league depends on it....

Lol, just kidding

But on a serious note, I just don't think I would watch another Patriots and Giants Superbowl. It'd be the 3rd time it happened in the last 10 years and be like one of those broken records that would be "come on Houston, we can do better than this **** again." And on top of that, I'm just chomping at the bit wanting to shut the Cowboy fans up all around the nation. Bunch of damn fools who don't know the difference between our team now and our team back in week 6.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to win, we just have to, the league depends on it....

Lol, just kidding

But on a serious note, I just don't think I would watch another Patriots and Giants Superbowl. It'd be the 3rd time it happened in the last 10 years and be like one of those broken records that would be "come on Houston, we can do better than this **** again." And on top of that, I'm just chomping at the bit wanting to shut the Cowboy fans up all around the nation. Bunch of damn fools who don't know the difference between our team now and our team back in week 6.

I'd watch. I've never missed a Super Bowl.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd watch. I've never missed a Super Bowl.

It would be pointless to watch it in this case. You'd have on one side a coach and QB combo where it's like "come on man, haven't you guys won enough rings already?" Just quit being successful please. On the other side it'd be a QB with little talent but all the luck in the world somehow holding three rings. No storyline to this, just 2 evil cities once again trying to get bragging rights over each other.

I never missed a SB since I was old enough to understand the game, which thank god meant I was too young to see that big time failure of a Bills team in the early 90s. I mean by 1994 all of America must've let out a big whomping cheer when they finished 7-9 and never went to the SB again, because it became a broken record to see that team keep on going and embarrassing the league by playing like ****. Another Pats vs Giants game would be worse than that, and I hope would cause ratings to go so low, a reality tv show would take over that night.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time we see AR12 vs. TB12, the Super Bowl that should have happened in 2014.

Can you imagine the hype that would surround it? Would be the biggest Super Bowl in recent memory.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time we see AR12 vs. TB12, the Super Bowl that should have happened in 2014.

Can you imagine the hype that would surround it? Would be the biggest Super Bowl in recent memory.
Honestly as much as I would love to see the Packers in the Super Bowl ... I don't think our patchwork secondary would stand a chance against the Pats

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see it now..

Giants get 20 points and Packers 17...Giants have under 200 yards passing

Rodgers tosses 2 int and only 200 yards and the Def will be to blame

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackrell in the last meeting vs NYG recorded a Sack and FF. If he can make another impact play or 2 this game his rookie season will go down as success in my book. Dix needs to play more like Landon Collins and Davante needs to step up big time this game. I'm pretty sure they do everything possible to take Nelson away from Rodgers. Our TEs need to find soft spots in the D. The last matchup no one is talking about is Linsley vs Harrison middle of the line!!!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see it now..

Giants get 20 points and Packers 17...Giants have under 200 yards passing

Rodgers tosses 2 int and only 200 yards and the Def will be to blame

And don't forget the damn grounds crew. They're still getting away with murder.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Capers can create and implement some way for the defense to get pressure and cause turnovers, I will not think any naughty thoughts about him...for a while. :D

The coaches have a tough task ahead of them. Lately I am never super confident going into a game. Rodgers has been playing unbelievably and his TE's and receivers are stepping up. Should be an interesting offensive plan.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have promoted WR Herb Waters from the practice squad to play cornerback while putting Makinton Dorleant on injured reserve. Finally the bold move by Thompson I was looking for. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers have promoted WR Herb Waters from the practice squad to play cornerback while putting Makinton Dorleant on injured reserve. Finally the bold move by Thompson I was looking for. ;)

Great, now we might have a confused WR on both sides of the ball!

Go Herb!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I should probably reserve judgement until after we see Herb play, but it does say something to me that the Packers are 17 weeks in and promoting a guy that was an UDFA, cut as a WR in September, brought back to the PS, converted to a CB and may now be playing in a playoff game. I am hoping Joe Whitt has really coached this guy up!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this situation, why not give a look at a vet like Tillman. Nah, smallball Ted, go to the practice squad.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In this situation, why not give a look at a vet like Tillman. Nah, smallball Ted, go to the practice squad.

I'm obviously scratching my head too, but I guess you have to trust the coaches and TT to know that Waters is their best option in this situation.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's doubtful he sees meaningful snaps. It's a near certainty he has no positive effect , but could have a negative one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts