Z. Smith busted with pot on him in september

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smoking the weed concerns me not a bit. Driving afterwards and doing 81 in a 60 does. I hope the league pops them all for a couple games. With the money these guys make, hire a car and driver if you wanna go somewhere after partying.

D

Deleted member 6794

Smoking the weed concerns me not a bit. Driving afterwards and doing 81 in a 60 does. I hope the league pops them all for a couple games. With the money these guys make, hire a car and driver if you wanna go somewhere after partying.

I highly doubt all three players will be suspended.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do any of you think the NFL tests for weed once a year? I would venture a guess at 85 to 90 percent of the players use it. Having friends that are nearing their 70's that smoke pot daily has made me see the medicinal value that it has. C'mon, we all know that a lot of NFL players use pot but there are always those that abuse it. They eventually are "weeded" out. Pun intended.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of think that if we exclude anyone that has or is smoking weed, as "not Packer people", we might have a hard time completing a roster of players and perhaps some coaches every year.
And the stands would be mostly empty.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for them using if they desire, but I also think that they have a responsibility as players to know and abide by the rules. They might as well put their energy into crafting wording in the next CBA that allows the use of it by players in states where it has been legalized.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They might as well put their energy into crafting wording in the next CBA that allows the use of it by players in states where it has been legalized.

Oh great, then all the legally stoned states will get all the quality free agents! :cool: :geek:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm all for them using if they desire, but I also think that they have a responsibility as players to know and abide by the rules. They might as well put their energy into crafting wording in the next CBA that allows the use of it by players in states where it has been legalized.

ALL use is still illegal at the federal level.

I don't think it matters whether they legalize it in every state, at the state and federal level when it comes to the NFL. Ultimately, it would come down to the NFL making the decision of "how does allowing (condoning) its use by our highly paid star athletes bode for the sale of our product?" Maybe in 30 or so years, Maryjane will be viewed much like alcohol by the NFL, "it is fine in moderation and not when performing", but it is way too early for that. The NFL has publicly taken a hard stance on most drugs, legal or illegal and I don't see that changing when it comes to weed, legal or illegal weed.

Not saying this is my stance, just looking at how I think the NFL reacts over time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is allowed to break anti-trust laws, and undoubtedly a few others, so I doubt that would stand as much of an obstacle.

What I fear overall, is that allowing this could exacerbate the already prominent issue of mental health issues in pro sports. Those are the types of folks more prone to slipping further into darkness. I've personally seen the negative sides as much as the positive sides. Stable people handle it much better than those that were already out of balance. I suppose it's much like alcohol, enhancing what is already there. The happy man gets happier and the sad man gets sadder.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it matters whether they legalize it in every state, at the state and federal level when it comes to the NFL. Ultimately, it would come down to the NFL making the decision of "how does allowing (condoning) its use by our highly paid star athletes bode for the sale of our product?" Maybe in 30 or so years, Maryjane will be viewed much like alcohol by the NFL, "it is fine in moderation and not when performing", but it is way too early for that. The NFL has publicly taken a hard stance on most drugs, legal or illegal and I don't see that changing when it comes to weed, legal or illegal weed.
I guess I should have just waited a few more minutes before writing my response. Then I could have just read yours and hit "agree."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see this happening anytime soon....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Even if it would have helped a guy like this to play better....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

That would not work. If a guy failed a drug test you wouldn't know where he was when he was using.

It's not just a matter of the legality of the substance. A player could enter the NFL's substance abuse remediation program for alcohol abuse and be suspended if he fails to abstain while under the program's supervision. The wording of the policy seems to suggest they don't test for alcohol as a matter of course, only if there is some other reason for a guy to be put in the program, like a DWI arrest.

The league's concerns are as follows, quoting from the NFL's "Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse" which, by the way, is separate and distinct from the one on performance enhancing drugs:

"Substance abuse can lead to on-the-field injuries, to alienation of the fans, to diminished job performance, and to personal hardship. The deaths of several NFL Players have demonstrated the potentially tragic consequences of substance abuse. NFL Players should not by their conduct suggest that substance abuse is either acceptable or safe."

I don't see the league backtracking on that. Maybe fines and lighter suspensions instead of the heavier suspensions currently applied while keeping the remediation programs in place.

There is one legal issue that most people have forgotten while the converative NFL owners might have it on their minds. Marijuana is still a controlled substance under federal law. Possession, even if medically and legally prescribed under state law, remains a federal offense. It just so happens that law is not enforced. However, banks are loathe to do business with anybody in the "legal" cannabis supply chain for fear they will run afoul of federal money laundering regulations. There's a bill currently stuck in the Senate Banking Committee aimed at easing these banking restrictions. The point being, how "legal" cannabis might be in states where it has been legalized is not yet a settled matter.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think this is that big of a deal....

Was it a STUPID STUPID decision especially considering you're a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE??? 100% YES

But it's not like he was carrying something WAYYY worse like Crack, Cocaine, ****, LSD, etc etc

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think this is that big of a deal....
It's a big deal if he gets suspended for the stretch run or the playooffs.

As for the rest, there's an increasingly shrinking minority that think smoking dope is any worse than alcohol. Mitch McConnell and that ilk seem to be the few who stand firmly behind keeping it's federal illegality in place.

There is one important remaining issue, however. There's no reliable field sobriety test as of yet that can measure for pot inebriation. People should not drive stoned just as they should not drive drunk. Lack of a pot test is a lack of deterrent, and without a deterrent infractions are bound to be much more frequent. Go kill yourself if you must, I say, just leave me out it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Born and raised in Milwaukee, living in California now, this is like getting busted for smoking cigarettes, which one is worst lol.

Members online

Latest posts