Z. Smith busted with pot on him in september

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Smith, per the report, was driving home to Green Bay from Chicago with teammates Rashan Gary and Kingsley Keke on September 29, and was pulled over while going 81 mph in a 60 mph construction zone. The officer who pulled him over smelled marijuana in the car, and found three blunts and a vape cartridge inside a duffel bag in the trunk.

None of the three players showed any signs of being high, per the report, and did not smell of marijuana once stepping away from the vehicle. Smith reportedly told an officer that he smoked before the group left Chicago.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-green-...na-possession-speeding-freeway-223705325.html

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Two teammates were in the car with him including our #1 pick.

It's a misdemeanor, but...ya know, the NFL will **** their usual screaming worm.

Still illegal in Wisconsin and the NFL says no. So ... bad on him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is ...how long can he drag it out before the suspension comes.​

H

HardRightEdge

The question is ...how long can he drag it out before the suspension comes.
That's also punny, intended or not. Good question, though.

I understand these guys were picking up Josh Gordon at O'Hare but for some reason he was a no show.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the NFL was going to stop punishing players for marijuana related offenses? Hopefully he won't be suspended.

H

HardRightEdge

I thought the NFL was going to stop punishing players for marijuana related offenses? Hopefully he won't be suspended.
Not yet. It is under discussion for the next collective bargaining agreement.

If this were a first positive drug test, he'd go into the remediation program and you wouldn't even know it happened. For all we know there are 100's of players going in and out of the program every year.

Getting arrested--for anything--is a separate issue. That falls under "conduct unbecoming" depending on the outcome of the case.

Aaron Jones got a 2 game suspension under similar circumstances:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...nes-faces-marijuana-related-charge/880409001/

He appealed, dragged it out, and got suspened at the start of the following season. I don't know if Z can appeal what amounts to a municipal citation, on par with the speeding ticket.

Reaction score
He should’ve said they were coming home from Colorado and that’s the last time he took a puff.

Last edited:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Come on man. I know using the Mary Jane isnt a big deal anymore but it is still a big deal for the NFL. If you wanna plow a bowl dont let the NFL find out...

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones got a 2 game suspension under similar circumstances:
Damn, how many potheads do we have on the team? :)
Actually, considering Jones and Smith are two of our best players, maybe more of them should start puffing.

H

HardRightEdge

Can we use Reserve PUP for that?
I’m looking for a legal loophole for Z.
Even if you could, which you can't, why voluntarily have him miss games? The suspension is not going to be more than two games if history is any indication.

Best case scenario would be to drag it out if possible and take the suspension at the opening game or games next season. Barring that, maybe he should plead guilty next Thursday, pay the fines, and take the suspension before the playoffs if that is worked out with the league in advance. He's already going down on the field and walked off once or twice per game, so he's struggling with something that could probably use the rest.

Maybe the cop doesn't show in court and the thing gets thrown out though that's highly unlikely.

There is another possibility here. According to reports, Z said, "What marijuana?" and "I'll take the rap", to paraphrase. It sounds like somthing a guy who takes his captain role seriously might do. It's possible the league investigation will seek to determine who those blunts actually belonged to. It could turn out that Gary or Keke fesses up.

In that case, Z might get a one-game suspension as with Alex Light. The info on Light's suspension is sketchy but evidently he wasn't arrested or cited but got the one-gamer for admitting to marijuana use. Z made the same admission.

The possibilities are several, the outcome and timing uncertain, so the matter goes on the back burner until the league in due time does what they do.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Him taking the the wrap could give us a chance to see Gary in full game action for 2 games, although it certainly seems Fackrell is still ahead of him on the depth chart. If that were the case, we'd still be able to see him in plenty of action as Fackrell and P. Smith get rest.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh-oh.... does that mean these guys aren’t Packer People anymore? Least we dont have Josh G

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Uh-oh.... does that mean these guys aren’t Packer People anymore? Least we dont have Josh G

I kind of think that if we exclude anyone that has or is smoking weed, as "not Packer people", we might have a hard time completing a roster of players and perhaps some coaches every year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't care about Zadarius or any of the other Packers smoking weed. Don't be that stupid and get caught because of speeding while having it with you though.

Members online

Latest posts