1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Your FIRST Packer game memory?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Aug 4, 2014.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    -What's your age?

-What's your first Packer game you can remember?

-What city, state do you live in?

I'll start.

-Old (44)

-Preseason game vs O.J. Simpson and the Bills sometime around 1978

-Dallas

2. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    OK I'll give it a go.

-7 years old (My Packers experience didn't begin until 1993, when Reggie White joined the Pack)

-The first one I remember was when the first time the Packers played the Eagles after Reggie was a Packer, sometime in the late 80's. I remember it because it was the first time my family and I were on opposite sides. I made this cheesehead hat out of foam and I spray painted it yellow. I even drew little holes in the cheese. Nobody from my family would sit on the sofa with me. That's what I remember the most but I stuck behind my new team.

-Philadelphia, PA. Eagles territory and former team of Reggie White.

3. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,796
    Probably this one.

I am really trying to remember any other ones and they just aren't there.
    OK so we had 3 main TVs in the house. Every one of them B & W if you can believe that.
    Except for this little portable one that was color and not hooked up to the cable which I inherited from my grandma.
    So me and a friend turned it on in my bedroom and that scene just happened to come up.

Things to note:
    Cheerleaders!
    The one bar face mask of Marcol and he's wearing glasses!
    No one in any of the Lambeau crowd shots are wearing any Packers gear.
    (That comes later when NFL marketing gets the idea to somehow sell more of it to more fans.)
    This is against Da Bears!
    The image is about the same size when I watched it on the portable.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    1981: December, cold as a MOFO..... Watching Lynn dickey and James Lofton hook up for a TD pass. We beat the Lions that day. I was 6 years old and from then on, was a dedicated pack fan.

Oh yeah.... I am 38 yrs old, almost 39. Was living in Oshkosh when we traveled up to GB for my first game. Living in NC as of now.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I believe Reggie didn't come to the Packers until 1993.
    Your memory is like my memory, it comes and goes like the clouds. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    Memory is fading indeed...lol.... heck, if the good Lord didn't see fit to attach my d!ck, I would leave it on the night stand every morning. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    THAT VIDEO is awesome!
    You know what, I was 11, and I don't remember EVER seeing that. Hmm.
    I was already a fan by then, collected their yearbooks since about 1978.
    But living in Grape Ape Land, I guess I didn't get to see too many games back then.
    What a Fantastic Finish.
    I met Chester Marcol and Bart Starr one of those years as a little punk, who got a tour with my dad of the Packers facility.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    October 1956, my 1st live Packers game.
    The Packers against the Bears, my favorite player Billy Howten catching a TD pass.

9. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    LOL I blame the Eagles fans for that one. It should read mid to 90's. Considering I wasn't born until the mid to late 80's it would be hard indeed for me to remember a game when I probably wasn't born yet and a team he hadn't played for. :oops:

10. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,796
    Good thing you watched it from home and not in the stadium where you might have been pelted with snacks, had a soda spilled on you or worse.
    Philly fans in their stadiums with their reputation, you know.
    (I'm half joking or would they really be A-holes to a child?)

11. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Back in that era (90's) things were pretty bad in Philly. I hate to say it, but, yes, they would of been an A-hole to a child.

12. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,013

Saw the Packers on British T.V. in 1980`s against the Lions. I confess I wasn`t a fan at the time, I think I was a Raiders fan at the time, (I loved the silver and black at the time)

Saw the Packers ACTUALLY play at Lambeau in 2003 or 04 against the Cowboys in the October after visiting with a lovely American lady I was friends with. We`d met up in Green Bay in the May of the same year. The love affair with her didn`t last, the love affair with the Packers has ;). I`m grateful to her for meeting me in Green Bay and not Chicago or Minnesota :cautious:. I thought William Henderson and Ahman Green were awesome.

I live in Birmingham, England.

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  13. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Hey buggy .. why does Veronica keep kicking your *** on every post? Were you being "Breeetish" again? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    First game ... 1965. I was just short of 7 years old. 1st game at the re-dedicated City Stadium. Pack v. Bears at Lambeau Field. I remember asking my Dad who the guys in green were...we only had a black and white TV. None of that mattered to me. What mattered was Dad took me to a game.

I am 55 and now live in Oskosh, WI. Grew up about 20 minutes south of Lambeau in a town so small that the installation of a flashing red light on US Hwy 10 resulted in a parade and city wide carnival.

15. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +297
    2005 Season Packers went 4-12 under Mike Sherman's last season...the lone brightspot of this season was SAMKON GADO and the game against the garbage Aaron Brook's Saints...I even went to watch them play against the Eagles in Philly they lost badly to Mike McMahon (McNabb was hurt) but Gado still had a big day...it was a horrendous season, i think Rodgers had a play or 2 in that year as well (rookie season)...ever since then, we've been very privileged to watch this new age packers team. I hope it never ends!

16. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  17. JKramer64

JKramer64 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm 59

My first vivid memory of watching the Packers was Thanksgiving Day in 1962 at Detroit. I believe they were undefeated at the time and I remember Bart going down 11 times against a ferocious pass rush. It was the only loss that year.

I live in San Antonio, Tx

18. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    I have no idea. For someone only in my late 20's, I don't hang on to many long-term memories like that. Dunno why. I kind of remember a feeling associated with a vague memory more than the memory itself.

I guess I remember the kind of warm, thoughtless, floating feeling after a big Thanksgiving meal with my whole extended family filling my grandparents' house watching the Packers and digesting heavy food. And when I got a little older, feeling antsy wanting to leave the house and go back to the cabin to finish out the deer season with the men of the clan.

19. Leather&Lacy

Leather&Lacy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    This is a good idea for a thread.

I'm 33.

The first Packer game I remember watching and getting really excited about was when they beat the Lions in the playoffs in January, 1994. I know I was watching Packers games well before that but for some reason that memory has stuck with me through the years.

I was born and raised in Saint Paul, MN, and I still live there.

20. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I am 61. 15 October 1961. A big win over the browns that day. I live in Thailand.

21. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +435

Beating the Giants in the 1998 regular season

I live in New York