WR corps

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah and I'm asking why would you think they would do that after next season? With Rodgers likely to still be playing just as well as he is now, I think they give him this shot and 2 more with this team...of course this is all assuming love develops how everyone hopes he does

If Love is ready, it would make the most sense to get some value out of Rodgers and build around a rookie QB contract for a couple seasons.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is going to be instantly as good as Rodgers. Just like Rodgers wasn't instantly better than Favre. I hope Love is the 3rd HOF QB in a row to hit Green Bay and if in that slim chance that he is, I don't expect we see that for a number of years. Until then, I am just fine with #12 playing out his career in Green Bay.

That's exactly what I'm saying there's no rush to install love as starter. If he ends up being so good that they have to get him in the field I still don't see that happening until earliest 2023 and obviously the latest they can do it is 2024

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love is ready, it would make the most sense to get some value out of Rodgers and build around a rookie QB contract for a couple seasons.

I guess I don't think he'll be ready I think 3 seasons learning be good. 1 this one as the #3 and 2, the next 2 as the backup

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is all moot.

Love will either be ready to start and play well in 2022 or he won’t. Where he was on the depth chart after a weird 2020 offseason does not matter.
Well explained and others should understand this.

Yet there are still some hashing this out.

Love is 3rd, is slated to be the next man.

Other players in other systems cant be compared.

Just a suggestion...Would you all just stop?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Still not sold on MvS. Blow hot. Blow cold.

I'm sold on two things regarding MVS at this point.

1. He's the best option on the roster to provide a vertical element to the passing game.

2. He's not a long term solution for the offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Antonio Brown sure helped the Bucs

I didn't watch the game, I take it he looked terrible? My only take away from the game is if the Saints blew out the Bucs that bad and the Bucs blew out the Packers by a similar score, Have the Saints improve THAT much since the Packers last played them?

I guess it boils down to "on any give Sunday" and maybe it will be a different story if we have to face the Bucs again.

FFPneedles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sold on two things regarding MVS at this point.

1. He's the best option on the roster to provide a vertical element to the passing game.

2. He's not a long term solution for the offense.

MVS is the best vertical threat on this team no one else on the offense has that kind of size and speed not many in the league do. He may not be a long term solution but I could see him getting another contract at the right price. The biggest need is upgrading the spots Shepard, Taylor, and St. Brown currently hold that would be the most beneficial to the WR room and would upgrade the overall skill on this offense dramatically.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
MVS is the best vertical threat on this team no one else on the offense has that kind of size and speed not many in the league do. He may not be a long term solution but I could see him getting another contract at the right price. The biggest need is upgrading the spots Shepard, Taylor, and St. Brown currently hold that would be the most beneficial to the WR room and would upgrade the overall skill on this offense dramatically.

I doubt it. They need someone who can provide a vertical element without being so limited in all other areas.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the plan is to prowl the waiver wire for bargains at this point. If someone like Golden Tate gets cut then I can see Gutey making a claim. We'd certainly be out-waivered though if that were the case.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the plan is to prowl the waiver wire for bargains at this point. If someone like Golden Tate gets cut then I can see Gutey making a claim. We'd certainly be out-waivered though if that were the case.

At this point I don't really expect to find much of an improvement via the waiver wires, since as you stated, the Packers are way back in the claims process. However, a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system, so somebody like Golden Tate doesn't need to go through the waiver wire and is automatically a Free agent that can negotiate a new contract with any team he wants. I think if the Packers are going to improve their 2020 Roster (outside the organization), that will be how its done.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I don't really expect to find much of an improvement via the waiver wires, since as you stated, the Packers are way back in the claims process. However, a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system, so somebody like Golden Tate doesn't need to go through the waiver wire and is automatically a Free agent that can negotiate with any team he wants. I think if the Packers are going to improve their 2020 Roster, that will be how its done.

Oh wow, didn't know that. Interesting. Lets hope Golden Tate continues to **** that team off then. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh wow, didn't know that. Interesting. Lets hope Golden Tate continues to **** that team off then. ;)

I despised Golden Tate when he was a Seahawk and haven't paid much attention to him while he has been at Detroit, Philly or N.Y., but if he is stirring things up to get him benched in NY, despite his talent as a WR, not so sure I would want his attitude in GB. There is something to be said about locker room chemistry, which it sounds like is present and very important in GB. I think Gute would be fearful of throwing a bad apple into it and would really have to do his homework on someone like Golden Tate.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I don't really expect to find much of an improvement via the waiver wires, since as you stated, the Packers are way back in the claims process. However, a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system, so somebody like Golden Tate doesn't need to go through the waiver wire and is automatically a Free agent that can negotiate a new contract with any team he wants. I think if the Packers are going to improve their 2020 Roster (outside the organization), that will be how its done.
I can never keep it straight. isn't it different though before and after the trade deadline passes? I think all are subject to waivers now.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I despised Golden Tate when he was a Seahawk and haven't paid much attention to him while he has been at Detroit, Philly or N.Y., but if he is stirring things up to get him benched in NY, despite his talent as a WR, not so sure I would want his attitude in GB. There is something to be said about locker room chemistry, which it sounds like is present and very important in GB. I think Gute would be fearful of throwing a bad apple into it and would really have to do his homework on someone like Golden Tate.

I think he's been productive wherever he's gone. I hated him as a Seahawk too. Obviously if he's released it'd be up to the front office to weigh the pros and cons. It seems LaFleur likes people he's familiar with, hence going after Fuller. I don't think there's a connection between him and Tate tho.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I only remembered, because I vaguely remembered it changes at some point and i think the Captain brought it up the other day.

Probably a good rule, might help in preventing collusion. Not to mention the fact that most guys being released now might gravitate to one of the top teams, in the hopes to hitch a ride to the Super Bowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't watch the game, I take it he looked terrible? My only take away from the game is if the Saints blew out the Bucs that bad and the Bucs blew out the Packers by a similar score, Have the Saints improve THAT much since the Packers last played them?

I guess it boils down to "on any give Sunday" and maybe it will be a different story if we have to face the Bucs again.

The Packers just match up way better with the Saints than the Bucs. Hopefully they won't have to face Tampa during the playoffs at some point.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will again post two quotes from Mike McCarthy.
-"It's a game of matchups."
-"It's not who you play, it's when you play them."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The receiver corp is pretty bad outside of Adams, obviously. It's apparent that Gute doesn't think it needs to be better, that's also obvious. Talking about this is just going in circles. The Packers are currently the Chiefs on defense, but the Saints on offense; that's good for the playoffs but absolutely not good enough for the Super Bowl. Gute is okay with that, he's just biding his time and letting Rodgers provide him job security until it's Love's turn (and for those excited about Love, bear in mind that the chance of him being a top-5 NFL QB in his first 3 seasons is pretty much nil).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The receiver corp is pretty bad outside of Adams, obviously. It's apparent that Gute doesn't think it needs to be better, that's also obvious. Talking about this is just going in circles. The Packers are currently the Chiefs on defense, but the Saints on offense; that's good for the playoffs but absolutely not good enough for the Super Bowl. Gute is okay with that, he's just biding his time and letting Rodgers provide him job security until it's Love's turn (and for those excited about Love, bear in mind that the chance of him being a top-5 NFL QB in his first 3 seasons is pretty much nil).
The discussions with the Texans about Will Fuller must have been a sham and smoke screen then.

Members online

Latest posts