WR Coach Luke Getsy to be OC at Mississippi State

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This makes me seem like something big is coming in the pipe. That is a bit of a downgrade in the profession.

How is that a downgrade? I understand it's college, but if he's going to ever get his shot of being an OC in the pros, he's going to need to be an assistant HC or OC somewhere. And like it's already been said, with MM in place that's never going to happen in GB.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is that a downgrade? I understand it's college, but if he's going to ever get his shot of being an OC in the pros, he's going to need to be an assistant HC or OC somewhere. And like it's already been said, with MM in place that's never going to happen in GB.

He could have waited for other teams to fire their offensive coordinators. You know it's going to happen in Chicago, Indianapolis, New York, and a few other places. Cleveland does not even have an OC this year and there is the John Dorsey connection. But it would take weeks for that to happen and college jobs are already available.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could have waited for other teams to fire their offensive coordinators. You know it's going to happen in Chicago, Indianapolis, New York, and a few other places. Cleveland does not even have an OC this year and there is the John Dorsey connection. But it would take weeks for that to happen and college jobs are already available.

I highly doubt anyone in the NFL would higher an offensive position coach as an OC with presumably zero play calling experience. To him, he probably saw a chance to finally call plays and jumped at it. In his mind if he finds success, he'll either move on as a HC at another school or be called back up to OC in the League. To Getsy, this is an audition.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt anyone in the NFL would higher an offensive position coach as an OC with presumably zero play calling experience. To him, he probably saw a chance to finally call plays and jumped at it. In his mind if he finds success, he'll either move on as a HC at another school or be called back up to OC in the League. To Getsy, this is an audition.

So would you care to explain why Ben McAdoo went directly from QB coach in GB to OC in NY? When did he have play calling experience before Tom Coughlin hired him?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So would you care to explain why Ben McAdoo went directly from QB coach in GB to OC in NY? When did he have play calling experience before Tom Coughlin hired him?

Isn't it obvious? McAdoo was a Quarterbacks Coach. What do QBs do? They call the plays and run the offense on the field. His experience is a little bit more tangible from where he's sitting. Let me also remind you that McAdoo was also an Offensive Quality Control Coach for the Saints in 2004 and the 49ers in 2005 with MM, so his resume prior to the Giants gig could easily give an inclination of his acumen in running an offense and calling plays.

However, this is still more the exception than the rule. So don't take that 1% and assume it applies all the time.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious? McAdoo was a Quarterbacks Coach. What do QBs do? They call the plays and run the offense on the field. His experience is a little bit more tangible from where he's sitting. Let me also remind you that McAdoo was also an Offensive Quality Control Coach for the Saints in 2004 and the 49ers in 2005 with MM, so his resume prior to the Giants gig could easily give an inclination of his acumen in running an offense and calling plays.

However, this is still more the exception than the rule. So don't take that 1% and assume it applies all the time.

I know it is an exception.