Would you be happy with Shea at the 28?

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of months back he was projecting as the Packers second round pick, and some even had him in the third...Now talk of him being the Packs first round choice...

How would you guys feel if 1) that happened 2) that happened and that someone like Perry, Upshaw or Mercilus was still on the board?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be very pleased. I think he will be a solid pro.

If we pass on Perry, that is fine with me. Mercilus has a cool name and I would say he is on par with Shea. If we passed on Upshaw, I would 2nd guess TT's wisdom, and probably be wrong once again.

yallniggascheesewiz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there's more than talk about McClellin. His day at the Senior Bowl showed he will transition seamlessly to OLB. Along with his strong combine performance most scouts are saying Green Bay will need to trade up to get him. It's an overall weak draft class, but it is loaded with talented tweeners. We'll find out on draft day who's who and what's what.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably won't last til 28 now.
Watch the Patriots take him before us. They have 2 picks before us, bast**ds.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They only have one pick before GB drafts.
That's right... one before us at #27, and one after us at 31 for being runner-up.
I had seen a national mock with them taking McClellin at #27 right before us, and then Derrick Wolfe, the DE, at #31.
Two common and popular guys for us.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's right... one before us at #27, and one after us at 31 for being runner-up.
I had seen a national mock with them taking McClellin at #27 right before us, and then Derrick Wolfe, the DE, at #31.
Two common and popular guys for us.

The Packers have a lot of options at #28. You figure that one the following players must be available at #28:
  • Mark Barron, Nick Perry, Courtney Upshaw, Andre Branch, Fletcher Cox, Chandler Jones, Whitney Mercilus or Michael Brockers.

PackFan909

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Shea, and think he will be okay, but I like some of the other options more.

Mercilus? Perry? A corner? We need so much help in pass D.

Even a big 3-4 DE like Devon Still?

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
The only two guys I like more than Shea McClellin are Whitney Mercilus and Courtney Upshaw. Those are the only two guys that we have a realistic shot of getting anyway. I'm taking a fond liking to Stephon Gilmore as well. Plays like a Packer. Shea is a beast. Non stop motor and would fit perfectly in our defense. I would love to draft him. He is becoming one of the safer draft picks in this year's class as well.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only two guys I like more than Shea McClellin are Whitney Mercilus and Courtney Upshaw. Those are the only two guys that we have a realistic shot of getting anyway. I'm taking a fond liking to Stephon Gilmore as well. Plays like a Packer. Shea is a beast. Non stop motor and would fit perfectly in our defense. I would love to draft him. He is becoming one of the safer draft picks in this year's class as well.

Unless Ted decides, if he can, to move up. I just have a feeling with all those later round pics he might just feel froggy enough to do it. I hear they like Upshaw and am hearing he may be a candidate to slip some so if TT could move up around #22 and get him I wouldn't be surprised. Same with Cox. Definately him if he's still around then.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Shea a lot, but I'm not sure he's worth the #28 pick. The 2 guys right now that I like are Whitney Mercilus and Michael Brockers. Brockers has a huge upside and our DL is lousy. Hargrove will help but I don't have a lot of confidence in Raji anymore.

Mercilus gets a rap as being a one-year wonder, but his combine was excellent and so was his pro-day. He promises to be a beast of a pass rusher and would fit well as OLB in a 3.4 scheme.

Of course it would be great to get someone like Upshaw or Fletcher Cox. I just don't think they'll be there.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shea would be a reach in the first round. Seems he has some skills, good motor etc...but a lot of what I read about him say he lacks "elite athleticism". Not sure we should be taking a guy like that in the first round.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shea would be a reach in the first round. Seems he has some skills, good motor etc...but a lot of what I read about him say he lacks "elite athleticism". Not sure we should be taking a guy like that in the first round.
^ ^ ^ That sounds exactly what people said about the kid from USC 3 years ago, but Teddy thought otherwise and traded and reached up for that guy.

McClellin is about 20 pounds heavier than Matthews is, combine-performance wise.
His 40-time was identical, while his shuttle and 3-cone were slightly less. But remember he's a bigger man, 20 pounds is a lot.
While he may not be quite as agile as Clay was, remember Clay is ultra-special.

Brooks Reed had a very fine rookie season for the Texans, including some big plays in the playoffs.
Many wanted us to take him last year and many still say we should have.

Shea's numbers are almost identical to Reed's.
Don't be fooled by the position that Shea had to play at Boise. What you should be is impressed that he was able to still be so productive.... he's very versatile, and willing. As Clay was at USC.
From NFL Draft Scout (combine results):

Shea McClellin (2012)
#3-rated OLB
6-3 1/4, 260
40-yard dash: 4.63
Shuttle: 4.33
3-cone: 7.07
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70853&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB

Clay Matthews (2009)
#3-rated OLB
6-3 1/8, 240
40-yard dash: 4.62
Shuttle: 4.18
3-cone: 6.90
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57020&draftyear=2009&genpos=

Brooks Reed (2011)
#3-rated OLB
6-2 1/2, 263
40-yard dash: 4.65
Shuttle: 4.28
3-cone: 7.11
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74933&draftyear=2011&genpos=OLB

More on McClellin:

Plays fast with very good football quickness and agile footwork. A high effort and energy rusher who plays with obvious passion and intensity -- relentless and tenacious motor. Fast in pursuit with good chase skills to track down the action. Good get-off momentum and anticipation -- instinctive defender who locates the ball quickly. Extremely active and plays with an aggressive playing nature and attitude -- self-starter and strong finisher. Country strong and very physical, welcoming contact. Fights and works hard to find a way to beat blockers -- disruptive with a nose for the ball. Versatile defensive player with experience at LB, DE and other hybrid front-seven positions. A creative pass rusher, using a variety of moves and techniques to create pressure. Tough and durable with a productive collegiate resume (33.0 tackles for loss and 20.5 sacks), starting the final 37 games of his career in Boise.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1274370/shea-mcclellin

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say my dream scenario would be if Dont'a Hightower fell to us at 28 and then we move up as far as we can in the second round to pick whomever is left over from the list of possible OLBs that we are mulling over at 28.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ ^ ^ That sounds exactly what people said about the kid from USC 3 years ago, but Teddy thought otherwise and traded and reached up for that guy.

McClellin is about 20 pounds heavier than Matthews is, combine-performance wise.
His 40-time was identical, while his shuttle and 3-cone were slightly less. But remember he's a bigger man, 20 pounds is a lot.
While he may not be quite as agile as Clay was, remember Clay is ultra-special.

Brooks Reed had a very fine rookie season for the Texans, including some big plays in the playoffs.
Many wanted us to take him last year and many still say we should have.

Shea's numbers are almost identical to Reed's.
Don't be fooled by the position that Shea had to play at Boise. What you should be is impressed that he was able to still be so productive.... he's very versatile, and willing. As Clay was at USC.
From NFL Draft Scout (combine results):

Shea McClellin (2012)
#3-rated OLB
6-3 1/4, 260
40-yard dash: 4.63
Shuttle: 4.33
3-cone: 7.07
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70853&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB

Clay Matthews (2009)
#3-rated OLB
6-3 1/8, 240
40-yard dash: 4.62
Shuttle: 4.18
3-cone: 6.90
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57020&draftyear=2009&genpos=

Brooks Reed (2011)
#3-rated OLB
6-2 1/2, 263
40-yard dash: 4.65
Shuttle: 4.28
3-cone: 7.11
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74933&draftyear=2011&genpos=OLB

More on McClellin:

Plays fast with very good football quickness and agile footwork. A high effort and energy rusher who plays with obvious passion and intensity -- relentless and tenacious motor. Fast in pursuit with good chase skills to track down the action. Good get-off momentum and anticipation -- instinctive defender who locates the ball quickly. Extremely active and plays with an aggressive playing nature and attitude -- self-starter and strong finisher. Country strong and very physical, welcoming contact. Fights and works hard to find a way to beat blockers -- disruptive with a nose for the ball. Versatile defensive player with experience at LB, DE and other hybrid front-seven positions. A creative pass rusher, using a variety of moves and techniques to create pressure. Tough and durable with a productive collegiate resume (33.0 tackles for loss and 20.5 sacks), starting the final 37 games of his career in Boise.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1274370/shea-mcclellin

Thanks for the info Rizzo. I guess from the sounds of those scouting reports maybe he's not such a reach at end of first/second round. I will say though, and I'm no draft wizard, that from what I remember about when CM3 came out he was touted as having very good athletisism/fluidity etc... from what I remember the questions surrounding him were about how quickly he bulked up, and the concern that he was a one year wonder.

I will look into this kid more though....sounds like a relentless kind of guy, and if he has the physical skills to go with it then I'm in!

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
One thing that seems to be overlooked is Brooks Reed's strength. He benched 30 reps while McClellin had only 19. I understand combine stats can be overrated, but strength is a big part of being a pass rusher. I am a HUGE McClellin fan. The motor is what I love. You can't teach that. Kevin Greene can do what he did with Clay and teach him the moves and tricks. Two guys with non-stop motors coming off of the edge would be great. Dom Capers could have a much better year with Shea on the team. He could come up with many more blitz combinations.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that seems to be overlooked is Brooks Reed's strength. He benched 30 reps while McClellin had only 19. I understand combine stats can be overrated, but strength is a big part of being a pass rusher. I am a HUGE McClellin fan. The motor is what I love. You can't teach that. Kevin Greene can do what he did with Clay and teach him the moves and tricks. Two guys with non-stop motors coming off of the edge would be great. Dom Capers could have a much better year with Shea on the team. He could come up with many more blitz combinations.
And our DB's would look good again!

Members online

Latest posts