Would you advocate trading Brett?

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Why is it final just because Favre has retired? Is there a law about not reversing things roster wise? And don't give me "it's not fair to Rodgers" crap. It is abusiness and the objective is to win. Put the best players on the field that you can acquire. that would be Favre unless Mannign or Brady become available.

Trip.. I agree that the objective is to win the superbowl every year.. and that you should do everything in your power to put the best player in the position that you can.. but there lies the crux of the issue.. that is not the style of the Packers right now.

Do I want Brett playing next year in the Green and Gold.. yes I do. But he has been indecisive for how many years.. and to be honest, I thought he handled it right every year.. took his time, thought it through and made a decision.. I respected that approach and thought it was entirely correct way to handle it.

This year.. albeit the time frame was condensed a little more, but he decided that it was time to walk away.. he was spent and felt it was time. That put the Packers in a position of dealing with his departure. Now in a way they still are in the position of playing will he or won't he game. Favre is holding that open with his comments, the media is not helping either. To me, it is more than lining someone up behind the center.. it is a mindset and chemistry of a team that this will effect the most.

I look at it this way.. if he comes back it opens up drama that you don't see often in sports and like it or not, how it is dealt with from the GM's perspective will more than likely alter his career.. that is unless the Packers win the Superbowl and Rodgers has his shot in Green Bay at somepoint... otherwise.. it will always be seconded guessed so to speak.

IMO.. if Favre had any doubts about retiring, he should have left the question open like in years past.. on the flip side, if TT or MM forced him to make the decision at that time.. well then shame on them.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get you guys some time. If Peyton Manning wanted to come to green bay would you want him? knowing the quality of team around him and the better chacne of getting to the superbowl THIS year? What if Brady wanted to come to GB?

You are telling me that you would rather give up this year (odd's are against Rodger's leading us to the promised land this year) for a future that may never happen?

TT has repeated said they look for the best players at each position and if they can sign them then they bring them in. Period.

Favre right now is better than Rodgers. What does Favre saying he is going to retire do to change that fact? nothing IMO.

Favre comes out of retirement he would be a packer. Would you have traded him last year for a first rounder?

Our QB situations would look like this

Favre, Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn.

Who you gonna start?

I just don't understand this thinking. If we trade him because Rodgers has a longer future then why don't we just go with Brohm since his future is even longer?

Why is it final just because Favre has retired? Is there a law about not reversing things roster wise? And don't give me "it's not fair to Rodgers" crap. It is abusiness and the objective is to win. Put the best players on the field that you can acquire. that would be Favre unless Mannign or Brady become available.

Excellent post. In TT's words: Take the best player available at the time.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it final just because Favre has retired?

That part hurt my head.

Aaron Rodgers is the starting QB of the Green Bay Packers, with or without Favre on the roster.

Favre made his bed, he gets to sleep in it now. I think his bed is in a studio though, not on a football field.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would ENJOY watching Brett win another Super Bowl.

It would be a magic moment for me, personally. He deserves that second ring that Elway has, and Brett does not have.

I do not care who he is playing for. It is only one year, and I can handle it.

I will give up one year as a fan of a team, to see Brett get his second ring. Even if it was for another team.

It is a no brain er for me. It would be a feel good moment, in a subtle way, that I could not hide by the glint in my eye for Brett, or my sly smile as I walked out of the Super Bowl Party.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, Favre has admitted he hasn't been working out like he did for past seasons. Even if he did an about face now, would he be physically able to play by the start of the season?
And.......i think IF he wants to play again, I don't think he would want to here. So.......if he wants to play, but makes it clear NOT in GB, then i'd say let the trade move forward.
Thats the only way i would say trade him. If he doesn't WANT to be here, then why hold onto his rights? What good does that do the Packers, if Favre wants to go somewhere else?
I would cheer for him, as long as it wasn't against us. If we met in the SB, i'd want the Packers to beat his team.
I'm a PACKER fan first, Favre fan second.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would cheer for him, as long as it wasn't against us. If we met in the SB, i'd want the Packers to beat his team.
If the Packers ever played against Favre in the SB, that would be enough to put me in the "nervous hospital" with Karl from Sling Blade mmmmm hhhhmph.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
If the Packers ever played against Favre in the SB, that would be enough to put me in the "nervous hospital" with Karl from Sling Blade mmmmm hhhhmph.
I'm not too worried..........i doubt that scenario will ever come about. I will always be a Packer fan first. Favre is in my top 2 or 3 of all time favorite Packers, so it would be hard for me to see him with a different team. But if it happens, i cheer for him except against us.
I like them french fried taters.
You got anymore of that potted meat???

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone here really think that TT would consider trading BF to a team that could eventually beat them in the playoffs or SB?

Does anyone really think BF would play one more year for a lousy football team just to play?

If that were the case Mr. Favre has made a terrible mistake retiring which does not obligate TT to make a worse mistake and trade him to a team that could beat us. It ain't gunna happen. There's not a scenario out there that is reasonable from the Packers perspective other than to hang his jersey on the wall.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone here really think that TT would consider trading BF to a team that could eventually beat them in the playoffs or SB?

Does anyone really think BF would play one more year for a lousy football team just to play?

If that were the case Mr. Favre has made a terrible mistake retiring which does not obligate TT to make a worse mistake and trade him to a team that could beat us. It ain't gunna happen. There's not a scenario out there that is reasonable from the Packers perspective other than to hang his jersey on the wall.
I don't think it will happen either. Favre had a strong team here, and i think he would be nuts to have to start from square one with a different team. He would have to learn a new system, and all new teammates. That doesn't make sense to me.
Could it happen? Yes. Maybe he sits one year, and gets ansy to play again.
If Rodgers does well, he would not want to screw up the Packers, so thats how i could see him going somewhere else.
Do i think this will happen? No.......but it is possible. It's also possible to be struck by lightning more then once in your life. It has happened......but REALLY rare.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unlikely this would happen, but if the stars align properly, yes I would like to see him make the move if he were to get Rd 1 or an equal combination in return.

If the offer were to be lower, than I would say no and let him be forever retired as a Packer.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Those were definitely interesting times. Kudos to Thompson and McCarthy for the way they handled the hot mess situation