Would this team Benefit from a Dome?

D

Dan115

In answer to your question:
Yes they would and they do. Look and see how the Pack have been doing in domes recently.

Of course there won't be one in Lambeau but I think you saw enough other threads on that already.
If Wisconsin residents and the Pack were really hungry enough for a dome in Wisconsin then perhaps they could always return to Milwaukee and play at Miller Park a few times a year.

You have a point there. I never thought of that.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact that we play in open air at home is the REASON we play so well in a dome. When you're so used to the need to excel in terrible conditions, excelling in good or even great conditions is easier. Imagine having to work to gain footing, grip on the ball, clear vision and to stay warm for the majority of your season and then being dropped into a nice, cushy 70 degree dome where you can grip the ball, your cleats grip the field and there's no problem seeing your targets... everything would be easier.

The flip side to that is that everyone else has better games when they play on your field. Just my thoughts.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
In answer to your question:
Yes they would and they do. Look and see how the Pack have been doing in domes recently.

Of course there won't be one in Lambeau but I think you saw enough other threads on that already.
If Wisconsin residents and the Pack were really hungry enough for a dome in Wisconsin then perhaps they could always return to Milwaukee and play at Miller Park a few times a year.

Miller Park playing field area is too small to fit a NFL playing field inside of Miller Park. Also the seating capacity of Miller Park is only about 43,000. The seating capacity of Lambeau Field is about 71,000. In 2013, when the south
end zone area construction of LF is completed , the seating capacity of Lambeau Field will be just about 80,000.

When Milwaukee County Stadium was replaced by Miller Park, that was end of the Green Bay Packers playing any home games in Milwaukee.

As Forget Favre has posted :
"Of course there won't be one in Lambeau but I think you saw enough other threads on that already."

I agree with his opinion!!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I propose we move our 2 home playoff games in January to: Miami!

You know the Dolphins won't be using the stadium then, and you know we Packer fans would still sell out that stadium, 70K strong Packer fans!

No cold, ice, snow, wind, hard footballs!

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The answer to this question is no.

Now, to go in depth. I know the basis of the question was the fact we aren't a "running team" and don't play pound you in the mouth football. I think its a misconception that a strong running game is what you need to win when the weather gets bad. That's partly true, but teams that run the ball well do well in all weather. What you need to be successful in bad weather is to limit turnovers and play with sound fundamentals. Teams that run the ball well and consistently usually commit less turnovers as the weather has less of an affect when you are handing the ball off then when you are throwing the ball down the field.

I think the reason that the answer to this question is no is the fact we have Aaron Rodgers. He adapts well to all situations and the rest of our team responds to this. His short throws (slants, outs, screens) a lot of the time are forms of extended hand offs and in bad weather have the opportunity to go for bigger yardage than running plays because its harder for the defense to get going, as well as getting tired quicker in cold weather.

In short I think the answer is no because we adapt to the weather better than other teams so I see it as just another advantage. Would the players like playing in a dome? I am not sure if the majority would want to or not. I do know our stats would be better if we played in a dome but stats never tell the whole story anyway. The packers have the 30th ranked defense and the jaguars have the fourth ranked defense. I don't think anyone thinks the jags and pack would be a close game.

fatalflaw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just wondering, with the ball getting hard and slippery, Rodgers plays better in closed stadiums, the lack of a running game (which theoretically is indicated in sloppy conditions, is it really advantageous to be playing in Lambeau this winter??

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it is. We are used to playing in these conditions and other teams are not.
Biggest threat to us I wreckon in the playoffs? The Giants if they get in, it won't affect their game.
Look for it to possibly have an effect on the saints or the 49er's as they are not used to playing in conditions like that, that is not to say they won't play well. For all we know Brees could come in and have a career day, he's that type of QB.
But overall, it's our house and we play in these conditions every year and Im sure McCarthy will have them very well prepared to take on the Tundra!

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
It's an advantage being at home since not every team in the league can play in those conditions.

New Orleans, Detroit, Dallas, all those dome teams would be stuck in the snow. We already know cold weather slows them down.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just wondering, with the ball getting hard and slippery, Rodgers plays better in closed stadiums, the lack of a running game (which theoretically is indicated in sloppy conditions, is it really advantageous to be playing in Lambeau this winter??

we had a thread on this a few days ago, under "Would this team benefit from a dome?"

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Just to think of a different stadium makes me wanna punch small children. But what does everyone think about a Dome? Would it keep Rodgers perfect year round?
I would think most Packers fans would want to strip you of your Packer fans status for even bringing it up! :)

To answer your question. No dome in Green Bay. The next thing will be real Packers cheerleaders.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I propose we move our 2 home playoff games in January to: Miami!

You know the Dolphins won't be using the stadium then, and you know we Packer fans would still sell out that stadium, 70K strong Packer fans!

No cold, ice, snow, wind, hard footballs!

NO!

I prefer Qualcomm stadium, (won't be used come playoff time neither) GREAT weather and we already converted Qualcomm Lambeau west once this sesason. Come playoff time, we'll do it again. #OccupyQualcomm :tup:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's an advantage being at home since not every team in the league can play in those conditions.

New Orleans, Detroit, Dallas, all those dome teams would be stuck in the snow. We already know cold weather slows them down.
Like Atlanta and Minnesota 'bout 10 years ago?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Both dome teams still won at Lambeau in the playoffs. (Glad I wasn't on this board in the Sherman era. I'd have been banned.)

Members online

Latest posts