Worst Packers draft takes you've heard so far.

H

HardRightEdge

However, I saw it suggested that the Packers trade up to #20 to get him before the Eagles do. If the Packers trade up in THIS wide receiver class for who I consider to be probably the 7th WR in this class, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Basically you'd spend #30 and #62 on Jefferson.
It's all over but the cryin'. No time left to run the speculations and rumors through the mill or up the flagpole to see what grist or saluting comes out of the media echo chamber back end.

The only thing that matters now, besides gathering as many late clicks as possible in this high click period, is what Gutekunst thinks.

He said he wants to trade into value clusters, and there are reasons to believe he's not blowing smoke, particularly given what he did in free agency. Trading up to #20, or anywhere in the first round, is the opposite.

Even if standing pat at #30, what's left would allow for only massing capital for an assault on the 3rd. round. Or massing day 3 picks for an assault on the 5th. round. Somehow I don't think that's what he meant.

The value cluster concept makes the most sense in trading down from #30 into the upper 2nd. round, say to #35, and then trading up with the 70 point gain and the lower picks. As noted previously, three picks in roughly the #35 - #70 range is certainly a more plausible outcome than reaching up.

It will be interesting to see if Gutekunst trades away any future picks. That's a poor approach from the long term value perspective since future picks have to be discounted for the opportunity cost. It would be out of character, for Gutekunst and the Packers historically, but if that value cluster is particularly strong he might pay the discount to take a shot at a high value on his board.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see strong value as I worked through all my mocks in the #40-#75 range and then to a lesser degree in the #115-155 range. If I'm looking to get into the concept of clusters it is in those areas honestly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Gutekunst trades away any future picks. That's a poor approach from the long term value perspective since future picks have to be discounted for the opportunity cost. It would be out of character, for Gutekunst and the Packers historically, but if that value cluster is particularly strong he might pay the discount to take a shot at a high value on his board.

When I allowed myself to consider trading future picks I like using the 4ths/5ths to maybe bump up to grab targets in the 3rd or 4th like a few of the following maybe in there that I like in that range:

WRs- V Jefferson, Davis, Bowden, Gibson, Duvernay
TEs- Both Bryants, Okwuegbunam
ILBs - Wilson, Weaver, Bachie
EDGE - Jennings, Garvin, Gipson
iDLs- Fotu, Strowbridge, Lynch
OTs/OLs - Taylor, Onwenu, Biadasz, Murphy, Driscoll, C. Clark, T. Phillips
CBs - Reggie Robinson, Troy Pride (maybe), Ojemudia, Guidry, Hand (strictly zone guy though)

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OT Josh Jones, I've seen his name pop up on several mock draft boards. Would I love to have him, yes!! At #30, no. Anyone remember Derrek Sherrod?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, and I never wanna see a big man’s leg bend like that again. I felt bad for that kid. Terrible injury and multiple surgeries couldn’t get it right again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still firmly planted in the sand that Sherrod was going to be something special. Worst case I saw him as a two contract guy with us and solid. Man I still remember that injury....

OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBs - Reggie Robinson, Troy Pride (maybe), Ojemudia, Guidry, Hand (strictly zone guy though)

A CB you might want to take a look at is Parnell Motely.
He's not super fast so you probably don't want to take him high but he's projected round 7 or PFA so that's not a problem and he shut down some pretty good wideouts last year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A CB you might want to take a look at is Parnell Motely.
He's not super fast so you probably don't want to take him high but he's projected round 7 or PFA so that's not a problem and he shut down some pretty good wideouts last year.

I think you missed the framing of my post was guys in the 3rd and 4th range I outlined.

OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you missed the framing of my post was guys in the 3rd and 4th range I outlined.

Oh sorry.
Zierlein has a round 7 projection on Guidry, round 6 projection on Hand, and a round 4-5 projection on Ojemudia.
And I've seen every guy you mentioned go late in all of the draft sim mocks I've done so I thought you were including later round guys.
Someone more in your range that I do like is Darney Holmes though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh sorry.
Zierlein has a round 7 projection on Guidry, round 6 projection on Hand, and a round 4-5 projection on Ojemudia.
And I've seen every guy you mentioned go late in all of the draft sim mocks I've done so I thought you were including later round guys.
Someone more in your range that I do like is Darney Holmes though.

I love Ojemudia at the right spot.

Holmes is on my radar 3rd/4th

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Kiper has Cole Kmet at #30. That's a horrible take and would be a horrible pick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kiper has Cole Kmet at #30. That's a horrible take and would be a horrible pick.

I love Cole. I do think he projects very well into the NFL level. I do not however advocate taking him in the first at all. The ONLY way I'd consider is if we were sitting on two picks in the 1st and Gute really liked him...even then I wouldn't do it personally but could maybe eek a touch of grace out for it in that scenario.

I will admit hold on as I think a trade back scenario where we have two second rounders Cole becomes a legit target to have for an organization that arguably could use him. Do we desperately need him, absolutely not. However, a trade back scenario where we grab a WR first and then come back to our #62 and Cole is still there, I'm 100% fine with him there and see that value....however I'd still probably have an OT I'd like more but could live with it. My beef is if we choose Kmet over Aiyuk, Mims, Pittman, Reagor or Edwards and don't get ANY of them and jus get Kmet....that'd be insanely disheartening.

Members online

Latest posts