Worst Packers draft takes you've heard so far.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we are getting pretty close to the draft and I was wondering what are the worst draft takes for the packers everyone's heard so far.

The worst I've heard so far is we should draft Cole Kmet in the first round.

feel free to list more than one.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Owen Riese picked Grant Delpit for the Packers in a mock draft where various beat/twitter people made picks for their respective teams.

His thinking was actually sound-- if the Packers play so much dime because they want to, then whether we like that approach or not, they had better go get the personnel to do it the right way. I totally get that logic.

However, the application of that logic to picking Delpit is terrible. If the Packers are going to play dime, they need defensive backs who can play the run and *tackle*. That is so important. Green Bay's DB's got their collective butts handed to them in the NFCCG, in which the 49ers threw the ball like 8 times.

So taking Delpit, one of the worst tacklers I've ever seen, and putting him at safety, and by extension moving Savage, a talented but undersized player, into the slot, would just exacerbate an already significant problem. You would get worse in two spots.

The better application of this idea would be to target defensive backs to play the slot and play dime linebacker that can actually get guys on the ground: Jeremy Chinn, Terrell Burgess, Kyle Dugger, K'Von Wallace, Darnay Holmes, Josh Metellus, Antoine Brooks Jr, Daniel Thomas, etc.

OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantés

I just found another horrible one pretty much Chad Reuters entire mock draft for us.
It has us trading up with NE giving up a 3rd round pick to draft Jaylon Johnson.
And the rest of the draft is pretty bad as well.

– 2.62: WR Laviska Shenault, Colorado
– 4.136: QB Nate Stanley, Iowa
– 5.175: DL McTelvin Agin, Arkansas
– 6.208: CB A.J. Green, Oklahoma State
– 6.209: LB Dante Olson, Montana
– 7.236: WR Isaiah Wright, Temple
– 7.242: OL John Molchon, Boise State.

Nate Stanley in round 4, no OT until round 7, no ILB until round 6.

Has to be one of the worst mocks I've seen for us.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
@Dantés

I just found another horrible one pretty much Chad Reuters entire mock draft for us.
It has us trading up with NE giving up a 3rd round pick to draft Jaylon Johnson.
And the rest of the draft is pretty bad as well.

– 2.62: WR Laviska Shenault, Colorado
– 4.136: QB Nate Stanley, Iowa
– 5.175: DL McTelvin Agin, Arkansas
– 6.208: CB A.J. Green, Oklahoma State
– 6.209: LB Dante Olson, Montana
– 7.236: WR Isaiah Wright, Temple
– 7.242: OL John Molchon, Boise State.

Nate Stanley in round 4, no OT until round 7, no ILB until round 6.

Has to be one of the worst mocks I've seen for us.

O man... you win. Lock the thread. This is the worst take.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordon Love in the first. He is overrated, at a position we dont have a need. With WR, ILB, DT, CB, and OT all being positions we could use a talent or youth upgrade reaching on a qb would be tough. If he is there please just trade down with a team who wants a qb

Rapids41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have seen do the packer want win now or worry about who they lose next year.I would actually trade down from the 30th pick perhaps with Houston to get the 40th and 90th picks in exchange for the 30th. At 40 choose from Aj Terrell,Jalen Reagor, Tee Higgins,Laviska Shenault, Jordan Love or Raekwon Davis. With the62nd pick choose from Logan Wilson, Kj Hamler, Denzel Mims,Ezra Cleveland, Noah Igbinoghene or Kristin Fulton. With picks 90-94 you could get two of following. Saahdig Charles,Ben Bartch, Shane Lemieux, Damion Lewis, Amik Robertson, Jacob Easton, Jake Fromm, devin Asiasi, Gabriel Davis, Lynn Bowden Darrynton Evans, Aj Dillon, Jordyn Brooks,Shawn Bradley, Jacob Phillips.Joe Bache or Markus Bailey. This year they need OT, Wide Receiver and DT to replace Lancaster then Inside Linebacker,Solid Running Back and Back up Qb.I'm not liking drafting Rodger replacement 3 years out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have seen do the packer want win now or worry about who they lose next year.I would actually trade down from the 30th pick perhaps with Houston to get the 40th and 90th picks in exchange for the 30th. At 40 choose from Aj Terrell,Jalen Reagor, Tee Higgins,Laviska Shenault, Jordan Love or Raekwon Davis. With the62nd pick choose from Logan Wilson, Kj Hamler, Denzel Mims,Ezra Cleveland, Noah Igbinoghene or Kristin Fulton. With picks 90-94 you could get two of following. Saahdig Charles,Ben Bartch, Shane Lemieux, Damion Lewis, Amik Robertson, Jacob Easton, Jake Fromm, devin Asiasi, Gabriel Davis, Lynn Bowden Darrynton Evans, Aj Dillon, Jordyn Brooks,Shawn Bradley, Jacob Phillips.Joe Bache or Markus Bailey. This year they need OT, Wide Receiver and DT to replace Lancaster then Inside Linebacker,Solid Running Back and Back up Qb.I'm not liking drafting Rodger replacement 3 years out.
Mims will not be there at 62 he might be gone by 30.

H

HardRightEdge

From what I have seen do the packer want win now or worry about who they lose next year.
There's some overlap.

OT - On the one hand, Bakhtiari is in his contract year. On the other hand, Wagner is a kind of stop-gap. and your backup LT is Taylor (with a drum beat to make him a cap casualty) and your backup RT is Light who looked terrible or a line shuffle with Turner moving to RT, a guy who does not look like he has the range for the job.

CB - On the one hand, King is in his contract year. On the other hand, Tramon Williams has not been re-signed and while Sullivan looked decent he is largely unproven. The guys behind these three are uninspiring.

RB - On the one hand, both Jones and Williams are in contract years. On the other hand, an injury to Jones puts a slow in the roll, so a speed back who can catch down the board would not be a surprise.

H

HardRightEdge

I see Epanesa popping up as a #30 pick. Without even thinking about whether he's worth that pick, it makes little sense in context.

1) As an Edge / Nickel inside rusher, you'd have to assume the Packers are throwing in the towel on Gary. That ain't happening.

2) Cap and draft capital already spent at the position is quite considerable.

3) As a base DE, the Packers favor 300 lb. players, give or take, and you surely don't spend 1st. round picks on base rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I see Epanesa popping up as a #30 pick. Without even thinking about whether he's worth that pick, it makes little sense in contest.

1) As an Edge / Nickel inside rusher, you'd have to assume the Packers are throwing in the towel on Gary. That ain't happening.

3) As a base DE, the Packers favor 300 lb. players, give or take, and you surely don't spend 1st. round picks on base rotation.

In the name of all that is beautiful in this sweet world, thank you.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers should draft a RB in the first or second round. By FAR the worst idea.

Schneidman (The Athletic's new beat guy for the Pack) had them trading down to #37 and taking Jonathan Taylor today. So bad.

1) He's a running back
2) They have a starter and a backup under contract this year
3) He has 1000 touches on his body
4) He has a serious ball security problem
5) He's a limited receiver with bad hands
6) He's untested in pass protection
7) Wisconsin's offense specializes in two things: Awesome OL and Inflated RB

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schneidman (The Athletic's new beat guy for the Pack) had them trading down to #37 and taking Jonathan Taylor today. So bad.

1) He's a running back
2) They have a starter and a backup under contract this year
3) He has 1000 touches on his body
4) He has a serious ball security problem
5) He's a limited receiver with bad hands
6) He's untested in pass protection
7) Wisconsin's offense specializes in two things: Awesome OL and Inflated RB

Schneideman is awful.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Epanesa popping up as a #30 pick. Without even thinking about whether he's worth that pick, it makes little sense in context.

Him at #30 I'd digest better than I digested Gary at where we picked him. It isn't a knock on the him, but I'd still be pissed. Dude is good, and I arguably think his floor is higher than Gary's floor...but that is not a spot we need at 30...

H

HardRightEdge

Him at #30 I'd digest better than I digested Gary at where we picked him. It isn't a knock on the him, but I'd still be pissed. Dude is good, and I arguably think his floor is higher than Gary's floor...but that is not a spot we need at 30...
Relitigating the Gary pick is pretty pointless as far as this draft is concerned. You know they're rolling with him and his development. The Packers do need a 4th. OLB or OLB/DL swing man...I'd be looking further down the board for that guy.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we are getting pretty close to the draft and I was wondering what are the worst draft takes for the packers everyone's heard so far.

The worst I've heard so far is we should draft Cole Kmet in the first round.

feel free to list more than one.

Agreed on that one, I don't trust GB taking at TE at all. Sternberger is still a work in progress, but that position has haunted GB for a decade+. IMO, we should have never let Jared Cook walk out the door.

H

HardRightEdge

In his career AR only trusts one receiver a year.
That's silly. There is no season prior to 2016 where you could even begin to make that argument. Is it really necessary to say that trust, in football or anything else, is earned, not gifted?

OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope so. He’s no better than MVS. How long would it take for Rodgers to “trust” MIMS? In his career AR only trusts one receiver a year.

Ok is this bait of some kind?

MVS change of direction speed is very poor as are his ball skills, Mims ran a 6.66 3 cone in a year when numbers are much worse than normal due to horrible schedule planning, and he has much better hands he makes catches very few others could and most of his drops came in his junior year in which he played through a broken hand.
Mims also has a much higher vertical.

And Rodgers does trust his receivers just not enough to throw it into tight coverage when they aren't making any catches or make them his first read when they are regularly running bad routes and he is fully justified in those situations.

Go on gamepass watch a few games from when he had more than one good receiver and you will see he trusts pretty much all of them

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Justin Jefferson falls to #30 and he's the pick, that's fine. There might be 3-4 receivers I like better than him at that point, but whatever.

However, I saw it suggested that the Packers trade up to #20 to get him before the Eagles do. If the Packers trade up in THIS wide receiver class for who I consider to be probably the 7th WR in this class, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Basically you'd spend #30 and #62 on Jefferson.

Members online

Latest posts