Without Rodgers, it will be up to McCarthy to lead these team

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much is being expected of Mike in all honesty. If it was a case like Brady's suspension, when rest of the team are intact, I can understand.

Half the O-Line and nearly all of the secondary are missing. A young QB to boot. AR12 would have had a tough time with this injury raved team.

I doubt any coach could work magic.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people have crazy expectations. Had a guy last night saying if they don't go 10-6 it proves that Ted can't draft and seriously calls into question MM. I'm just sitting there like, in what world does any other team in the league lose basically 3/5's of it's offensive line and then reshuffle it twice over again and lose their starting QB and go 10 and ****ing 6.

A lot of this team has to grow up in a hurry and the coaches have a lot of work to do to get them ready. yes, I know rodgers is awesome and I know he's a giant reason for our success. Having the games' best player at the moment on your team tends to make you better and losing him tends to make you worse. But seriously our LT is a back up guard that had to take over for our back up RT and is now taking the place of our back up's, back up, backup who was our LG. I don't know who our LG is or our RT. you give any team an offensive line in week 7 of the NFL made up of PS players and buried on the depth chart back ups and I'll pick against them every time. I'm doubling down if you tell me there is a back up QB playing behind that line. Pretty confident I'd make money at it too and I suck at betting.

Oh well, I'll quit, i'm just making excuses again. with what this team has faced in the past and overcome, if you're not convinced that MM is a pretty good head coach, you never will be.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people have crazy expectations. Had a guy last night saying if they don't go 10-6 it proves that Ted can't draft and seriously calls into question MM. I'm just sitting there like, in what world does any other team in the league lose basically 3/5's of it's offensive line and then reshuffle it twice over again and lose their starting QB and go 10 and ******* 6.

A lot of this team has to grow up in a hurry and the coaches have a lot of work to do to get them ready. yes, I know rodgers is awesome and I know he's a giant reason for our success. Having the games' best player at the moment on your team tends to make you better and losing him tends to make you worse. But seriously our LT is a back up guard that had to take over for our back up RT and is now taking the place of our back up's, back up, backup who was our LG. I don't know who our LG is or our RT. you give any team an offensive line in week 7 of the NFL made up of PS players and buried on the depth chart back ups and I'll pick against them every time. I'm doubling down if you tell me there is a back up QB playing behind that line. Pretty confident I'd make money at it too and I suck at betting.

Oh well, I'll quit, i'm just making excuses again. with what this team has faced in the past and overcome, if you're not convinced that MM is a pretty good head coach, you never will be.

One of the best and most logical posts I've seen here recently.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
people have crazy expectations. Had a guy last night saying if they don't go 10-6 it proves that Ted can't draft and seriously calls into question MM. I'm just sitting there like, in what world does any other team in the league lose basically 3/5's of it's offensive line and then reshuffle it twice over again and lose their starting QB and go 10 and ******* 6.

Good post. The Vikings did pretty well (8-8) last year after losing Bridgewater and Peterson and a slew of other injuries. So it isn't impossible to win games without your starting QB. Was a healthy Bradford better than Hundley, yes, but he still had to learn the Viking system in a short time. Other teams have done it as well, the Patriots come to mind.

I guess what I am saying is this. Losing #12, whether we had a healthy OL or not, is a huge blow to a team that overly relies on on one player. This over reliance has masked a lot of issues, mainly on defense, and allowed TT, MM, DC and company to pretty much run the Packers based on the arm of one guy.

I don't expect, nor would I want MM to lose his job over this, but I think it might just cast a light on a DC and perhaps a GM, who have somewhat ridden on the coattails of #12.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well said, Mondio. You are typically spot on with you analysis but this was really solid. Mike may not be Bill B but he's a darn fine NFL coach. All you have to do is listen to the guys that know the league (former players and execs) and they will tell you all you need to know. Mike is very highly regarded and considered by most to be a Top 5 coach. Yes, he's stubborn but guess what, almost every coach is too! I am sick over the AR injury as well as the overall health of the entire team. I was talking with my old man last night at a middle school football game and all we could do is laugh at how snake bitten we've been this year. You could have Vince as HC, Buddy Ryan running the D and Don Coryell coaching the O and we'd still be in trouble. The injuries have been THAT bad.

My hope is we can return to some general semblance of health. If we can at least get the OL back together and give BH a chance, we may still have a chance. I believe in this young man and think he can do enough to keep us in the hunt. Is he AR12, no. Nobody is. He can throw the football though and has some scramble ability which should help his cause too. The run game is going to need to step up big as well as all the pass catchers. If BH gets it close, make the catch and let him build some confidence. Obviously, the D needs to bow up and I just don't have it in me right now to break them down. If you are a prayerful man such as I, pray for restored health for all the guys. Prayer works, I've seen it first hand! Be good to one another and come rain, snow or shine...G P G!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bridgewater to Bradford is push at best, quite possibly an upgrade. Bradford is injury prone, but he throws a great pass. Bridgewater was never more than potential IMO. and the Vikings are a defensive team, they have a defensive coach and when they lose some of their strength it hurts them more than a push at QB. Just like MM is an offensive coach, it is our strength. The Vikings have won **** in a decade. no NFCCG's, no super bowls, no nothing. The Pats, the exception to it all. I'll give you them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't really recall too many "regular" posters calling for MM's head. Sure there are a few out there, but in general, I don't see a lot of Packer fans unhappy with the job he has done. If anyone gets a "pass" on the loss of Rodgers it will be MM and the offense. As Mondio points out, that situation if further complicated by an OL that has been ravaged by injury and has guys with previously little experience playing positions they weren't suppose to be even playing.

I do believe though that that the spotlight will fully be on the defense and Dom Capers. If the defense, even with the injuries, continues to play poorly, DC has to go. If the defense steps up, improves and keeps a weakened Packer offense in games, he probably will be back. What happens to TT....is anyone's guess.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found this topic very interesting to write about. Although McCarthy rather have 12 under center, Hundley was hand picked by him and has been in the program for 3 years. I think Hundley has the ability, but as I wrote, it will be up to the OL to protect him and give him a necessary running game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really recall too many "regular" posters calling for MM's head. Sure there are a few out there, but in general, I don't see a lot of Packer fans unhappy with the job he has done. If anyone gets a "pass" on the loss of Rodgers it will be MM and the offense. As Mondio points out, that situation if further complicated by an OL that has been ravaged by injury and has guys with previously little experience playing positions they weren't suppose to be even playing.

I do believe though that that the spotlight will fully be on the defense and Dom Capers. If the defense, even with the injuries, continues to play poorly, DC has to go. If the defense steps up, improves and keeps a weakened Packer offense in games, he probably will be back. What happens to TT....is anyone's guess.

There aren't a lot of people calling for his head because he's had Rodgers to hide behind for years. Fans forget that McCarthy did as much as anyone to cost the team a shot at the Super Bowl in 2014 with his awful play calling against the Bills that year (cost the Packers home field against the Seahawks). He's been pretty stubborn about incorporating any new concepts into his offense, instead relying on Rodgers and WR talent rather than actual scheme.

I also think it's kind of nuts that the defense is suddenly under the spotlight with Rodgers going down and yet nobody cares that the team currently has three healthy corners on the roster (one of whom is apparently Lenzy Pipkins). So, when Pipkins is getting torched by Drew Brees and the Packers offense is failing, excuses will be made for the offense because of injury but not for the defense.

Capers isn't great, I just think there's far too much hyperbole and focus on Capers rather than focus on the bigger issues; front office talent drain has lead to player talent drain and this team just isn't as talented as it was and the coaching staff can't compensate for that.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's 75 degrees outside and sunny where I am, yet somehow I feel nothing but doom and gloom. I think it's time for a couple day hiatus to clear the old dome. It appears I've gone from being a Packers fan to a Browns fan overnight. I need a Crying Game shower...

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There aren't a lot of people calling for his head because he's had Rodgers to hide behind for years. Fans forget that McCarthy did as much as anyone to cost the team a shot at the Super Bowl in 2014 with his awful play calling against the Bills that year (cost the Packers home field against the Seahawks). He's been pretty stubborn about incorporating any new concepts into his offense, instead relying on Rodgers and WR talent rather than actual scheme.

I also think it's kind of nuts that the defense is suddenly under the spotlight with Rodgers going down and yet nobody cares that the team currently has three healthy corners on the roster (one of whom is apparently Lenzy Pipkins). So, when Pipkins is getting torched by Drew Brees and the Packers offense is failing, excuses will be made for the offense because of injury but not for the defense.

Capers isn't great, I just think there's far too much hyperbole and focus on Capers rather than focus on the bigger issues; front office talent drain has lead to player talent drain and this team just isn't as talented as it was and the coaching staff can't compensate for that.
I tell you what, I will take Pipkins over what Randall is doing. Sure, two tipped interceptions are great, but his attitude seems awful and he is running from blockers, which takes him out of plays. Pipkins plays with an edge, I like it and this is from a guy who usually doesn't.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A factor than many fans don't consider when talking about how the team looks without Rodgers is that the team would be hugely different if he wasn't around.

A poster once said imagine the Chiefs roster with Rodgers, which was impossible due to the salary cap and way oversimplified.

First, they'd have $20 million worth of other talent on the team. Maybe that's a defensive stud or two.

Secondly, he automatically lowers our draft position by giving us wins.

Finally, if Rodgers wasn't around, I guarantee a 5th round pick wouldn't be our current starter. It could be a Dak Prescott or Russel Wilson. Odds are, the starter would be better than Hundley. Maybe the team would have been awful and picked Cam Newton number one. Who knows?

Of course, the team is still better with with Rodgers, but if the Packers never had him, the team would be much different. And likely better than the current team led by Hundley.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Finally, if Rodgers wasn't around, I guarantee a 5th round pick wouldn't be our current starter. It could be a Dak Prescott or Russel Wilson. Odds are, the starter would be better than Hundley. Maybe the team would have been awful and picked Cam Newton number one. Who knows?

LOL....Way to pick out a few successful QB's to try and make a point.

BTW although Hundley and Prescott were chosen in different drafts, Dak was only 12 spots ahead of where Hundley was picked (135 VS 147).

TT drafted QB Brian Brohm in the 2nd Round (#56) in 2008 ......is that the kind of "guarantee" you are talking about?

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone notice how at some points in the 14-15 seasons MM seemed to be losing some weight...

and now it's all back again? lol

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm projecting steady improvement by Hundley week-to-week...I'm betting on some of the walking wounded getting off their ***** and manning up. Look, McCarthy has ZERO to prove to anyone. He will motivate these guys and win some games - I'm giving these guys 10-6 when all is said and done. If they give me 6-10 or 8-8 but are out there kicking some ***, I'll be proud to be a homegrown Packers' fan.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....Way to pick out a few successful QB's to try and make a point.

BTW although Hundley and Prescott were chosen in different drafts, Dak was only 12 spots ahead of where Hundley was picked (135 VS 147).

TT drafted QB Brian Brohm in the 2nd Round (#56) in 2008 ......is that the kind of "guarantee" you are talking about?

The point is, the investment in the starter would likely be more than a 5th round pick as TT obviously would have put more into the position than he has with Rodgers and the roster would look a lot different.

Odds are, the starter would be better than Hundley is.

It's nowhere as simple as removing Rodgers and saying, "See. The roster with Hundley (or Tolzien/Flynn a few years ago) isn't very good.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we need someone to be our "Todd Frazier"... someone who can come in and spark us

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think he's only around b/c of his daughter... his older one lol

D

Deleted member 6794

Hopefully King and House will be able to return vs. the Saints this week. As I've mentioned repeatedly there's no way to figure out if the defensive struggles mostly fall on the coaching staff or a lack of talent as long as both Thompson and Capers are around.

A factor than many fans don't consider when talking about how the team looks without Rodgers is that the team would be hugely different if he wasn't around.

A poster once said imagine the Chiefs roster with Rodgers, which was impossible due to the salary cap and way oversimplified.

First, they'd have $20 million worth of other talent on the team. Maybe that's a defensive stud or two.

Secondly, he automatically lowers our draft position by giving us wins.

You have to realize that a lot of average quarterbacks make a similar amount of money as Rodgers though. Therefore not having an elite passer doesn't automatically result in significantly more cap space available to spend on other positions.

It's true the Packers would have most likely drafted earlier during most drafts though.

The point is, the investment in the starter would likely be more than a 5th round pick as TT obviously would have put more into the position than he has with Rodgers and the roster would look a lot different.

Odds are, the starter would be better than Hundley is.

That doesn't guarantee the Packers currently would have a decent starting quarterback by any means though.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm projecting steady improvement by Hundley week-to-week...I'm betting on some of the walking wounded getting off their ***** and manning up. Look, McCarthy has ZERO to prove to anyone. He will motivate these guys and win some games - I'm giving these guys 10-6 when all is said and done. If they give me 6-10 or 8-8 but are out there kicking some ***, I'll be proud to be a homegrown Packers' fan.
WORD!

Members online

Latest posts