With their 1st Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Packers select...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
His 40 is fine, his "problem" is that he's pretty much a zone only CB. So he is going to be dependent on the team and scheme he gets drafted to.

It seems like Pettine runs primarily a man scheme (obviously with zone mixed in), so I'm not convinced Jackson is a good fit for us.

Yes, from what I read he has some problems in press man. That’s no bueno... he’s built to play that style. He’s actually quite athletic. If he could press with those ball skills you could be talking about a Marcus Peters type of player. But if it’s true that he’s not good there, I’ll pass easy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
His 40 is fine, his "problem" is that he's pretty much a zone only CB. So he is going to be dependent on the team and scheme he gets drafted to.

It seems like Pettine runs primarily a man scheme (obviously with zone mixed in), so I'm not convinced Jackson is a good fit for us.

I would add this on Jackson, he only has 14 career starts and although he may turn into a good player, I would be hesitant on thinking you are getting an instant starter with him. He is going to have a steep learning curve in the NFL and with one of the knocks on him being that he gets fooled easily by good route runners and fakes, that could be an issue for a guy lacking good speed to recover, playing against much better WR's and QB's then he saw in college.

I would be very disappointed if he was our pick at #14.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would add this on Jackson, he only has 14 career starts and although he may turn into a good player, I would be hesitant on thinking you are getting an instant starter with him. He is going to have a steep learning curve in the NFL and with one of the knocks on him being that he gets fooled easily by good route runners and fakes, that could be an issue for a guy lacking good speed to recover, playing against much better WR's and QB's then he saw in college.

I would be very disappointed if he was our pick at #14.

Eh. Marshon Lattimore only started one season (I think 13 games). I'm not worried about experience, I'm worried about his play style.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, from what I read he has some problems in press man. That’s no bueno... he’s built to play that style. He’s actually quite athletic. If he could press with those ball skills you could be talking about a Marcus Peters type of player. But if it’s true that he’s not good there, I’ll pass easy.

Yeah. He's an off CB. Not good at press, not good at backpedaling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Bills just swapped first round picks with the Bengals. Bills are now picking at #12, there goes the idea of trading back with them so that they can get their QB at #14. :(

Reaction score
Beautiful. We should see at least 4 QB's get picked before our pick.
That should leave 9 picks between Offense and Defensive players picked before us.
It's likely we'll be left staring at the 1st or 2nd rated player from several of these position groups at #14:

WR
RB
S
CB
OLB
ILB
DE
DT
OT
TE
K (ok, I did that for fun)

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most likely any teams that want a QB aren't going to sit back and wait til pick 14 for that QB.

If a team really likes a guy, they're gonna trade up a lot closer than that.

I'm not saying it was never going to happen, but it is pretty unlikely.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Most likely any teams that want a QB aren't going to sit back and wait til pick 14 for that QB.

If a team really likes a guy, they're gonna trade up a lot closer than that.

I'm not saying it was never going to happen, but it is pretty unlikely.

Well I do like having Arizona sitting right behind us at #15. If there is still a QB on the board, when the Packers are up at #14, that a team really wants but is afraid Arizona will grab him, the Packers are in a pretty good position with both Arizona and that other team to cash in on their pick. This was the reason I was a bit disappointed to see Buffalo trade up yesterday. Yes, that probably means a better non-QB available to the Packers, but it also removes a QB desperate team that was sitting 7 spots behind us with 2 first round picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well I do like having Arizona sitting right behind us at #15. If there is still a QB on the board, when the Packers are up at #14, that a team really wants but is afraid Arizona will grab him, the Packers are in a pretty good position with both Arizona and that other team to cash in on their pick. This was the reason I was a bit disappointed to see Buffalo trade up yesterday. Yes, that probably means a better non-QB available to the Packers, but it also removes a QB desperate team that was sitting 7 spots behind us with 2 first round picks.

I definitely prefer to have the choice of a better non-quarterback prospect than a higher possibility of trading back though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I definitely prefer to have the choice of a better non-quarterback prospect than a higher possibility of trading back though.

They kind of are interlinked and I can see the upside of both. It all comes down to how many players are still available to the Packers, that they view as worthy of their first pick. The bottom line is, the more options the better. Whether those are options in players to pick from or the option to be able to trade back a few spots, still get one of those players and an additional pick.

I think we saw this play out in last years draft, the Packers traded out of the first round, because there were enough guys still there that they coveted.

But yes, it would be awesome if the first 13 players picked were players the Packers had no interest in and those odds go up as QB's and RB's are taken.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
  1. Browns: S. Darnold, QB, USC
  2. Giants: J. Rosen, QB, UCLA
  3. (Trade) Bills: J. Allen, QB, WYO
  4. (Trade) Jets: B. Mayfield, QB, OK
  5. Broncos: Q. Nelson, G, ND
  6. (Trade) Browns: M. Fitzpatrick, DB, UA
  7. Bucs: B. Chubb, DE, NCSU
  8. Bears: T. Edmunds, LB, VTU
  9. 49ers: D. James, S, FSU
  10. Raiders: S. Barkley, RB, PSU
  11. Dolphins: V. Vea, DT, UW
  12. Colts: C. Williams, OT, UT
  13. Redskins: D. Ward, CB, OSU
Still on the board:
  • R. Smith, LB, UGA
  • J. Alexander, CB, LOU
  • H. Landry, ED, BC
  • M. Davenport, ED, UTSA
Which way ya'll going? I go Roquan in this scenario.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Still on the board:
  • R. Smith, LB, UGA
  • J. Alexander, CB, LOU
  • H. Landry, ED, BC
  • M. Davenport, ED, UTSA
If Roquan is still on the board he is by far the best choice of this group. I doubt he will make it out of the top 10, but let’s hope that QB frezeny occurs and he is. IMO Alexander is not worthy of a #14 pick. If we trade back into the 20s I think that is more appropriate for him. If this is the board Roquan is the answer. If he’s gone, I think Ridley would be the best available player at #14. I think the only CB in this draft worthy of a top 15 pick is Ward.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Roquan is still on the board he is by far the best choice of this group. I doubt he will make it out of the top 10, but let’s hope that QB frezeny occurs and he is. IMO Alexander is not worthy of a #14 pick. If we trade back into the 20s I think that is more appropriate for him. If this is the board Roquan is the answer. If he’s gone, I think Ridley would be the best available player at #14. I think the only CB in this draft worthy of a top 15 pick is Ward.
I agree completely.

Would trade back before taking either edge or a CB.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really want Gute to trade up and snag a game changer for the defense.

Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Ward, Roquan, James, Edmund.

Any of them. We need "the man" on defense.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still on the board:
  • R. Smith, LB, UGA
  • J. Alexander, CB, LOU
  • H. Landry, ED, BC
  • M. Davenport, ED, UTSA

Out of those players, RS is probably the best.

Impact wise, his position is probably least important.

I'm going Landry or Alexander. Flip a coin.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Why is Ridley still even in the conversation? Did you not see his jumps at the combine amongst his overall testing and measurements? The testing isnt everything but the guy flat out bombed and isnt a great athlete. Certainly not pick 14 caliber.

No way should he be in play at 14 for a 6 foot receiver.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Out of those players, RS is probably the best.

Impact wise, his position is probably least important.

I'm going Landry or Alexander. Flip a coin.

ILB may not be considered as important of a position as some, but picture this front 7

Wilkerson, Clarke, Daniels
Matthews, Smith, Martinez, Perry

Roquan might be considered a luxury pick they can afford, if the Packers can find a CB or 2 in Free Agency. I would be shocked if he made it to 14.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB may not be considered as important of a position as some, but picture this front 7

Wilkerson, Clarke, Daniels
Matthews, Smith, Martinez, Perry

Roquan might be considered a luxury pick they can afford, if the Packers can find a CB or 2 in Free Agency. I would be shocked if he made it to 14.

I figure any CB we sign is going to be a stop gap, but I wouldn't be mad if we stayed RS either. Only one on that list I wouldn't want is Davenport.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is Ridley still even in the conversation? Did you not see his jumps at the combine amongst his overall testing and measurements? The testing isnt everything but the guy flat out bombed and isnt a great athlete. Certainly not pick 14 caliber.

No way should he be in play at 14 for a 6 foot receiver.

Watch his tape and you never thought he would be a good jumper. He still moved well straight line and laterally, which goes along well with what the tape said.

But yeah, I wouldn't take him at #14. There isn't any WR I would take at #14.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the 14th pick... we should be looking for Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, James, or Smith... with a possibility of Vea. There are many CB's available in this draft and can be found later on. Actually we should trade up unfortunately with the Bucs... The Bears will be looking at similar player we are and would much rather have Edmunds playing for us than against him twice a year (or possible having Chubb or Fitzpatrick fall to #7)