With their 1st Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Packers select...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd rather hear Mike Hughes than Josh Jackson.

I'd rather hear Jaire Alexander than those two tbh

The pitfalls of drafting for "need".

While a team will say they "draft the best player available", I think the value on the player goes up or down based on a teams need. The Packers value on most of the QB's that will probably get picked in round 1, is about a round 2 and below value.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sick of the packers wasting high draft picks on CBs!! Upgrade the front 7 first!! The best CBs the packers have had other than Charles Woodson the last ten years were undrafted rookie FA Tramon Williams & Sam Shields! The biggest play in Super Bowl history was made by Malcom Butler who was undrafted rookie free agent! The top CB the last five years in the game Richard Sherman was a 5th rd pick! Look at this past Super Bowl won by Philly! No CB could make a play as both teams threw on each other’s D! The biggest play of the game was a DE stripped ball by Philly! New GM, time for new strategy!! No more high picks on CBs! DE or any LB has to be the priority at 14! CB is deep this yr! Not much difference at 14 through 45! I’d love to add Roquan Smith but now he’s been linked to 6th pick (colts) which would be to high to go get! If Marcus Davenport is there at 14 he’s the pick! The kid could be the Freak 2 in Wisconsin sports! At 6’6 264 he ran a 4.58 which is fast for a kid his size, had the best 3 cone time & best vertical at the combine at his position! You put on the tape and he reminds me of a poor mans Simon Rice! If Davenport is gone than trade back, accumulate more picks & go from there! Go Pack Go!!✌

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my favorite things about the draft is trying to explain it to people who don’t follow it. The only reason it’s such a huge “shock and awe” moment when someone goes where we don’t expect is because we spend months indoctrinating ourselves about where everyone “should” go.

So then someone goes way higher than we expect and it’s like “WOAH!!!” But people who don’t follow it are like “what?” And I’m like “well that player was expected to go later.”

“Ok...?”
I have good news for you, I'll be in the audience. I may heckle, but I will listen too. You'll have people to explain this draft too :)

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sick of the packers wasting high draft picks on CBs!! Upgrade the front 7 first!! The best CBs the packers have had other than Charles Woodson the last ten years were undrafted rookie FA Tramon Williams & Sam Shields! The biggest play in Super Bowl history was made by Malcom Butler who was undrafted rookie free agent! The top CB the last five years in the game Richard Sherman was a 5th rd pick! Look at this past Super Bowl won by Philly! No CB could make a play as both teams threw on each other’s D! The biggest play of the game was a DE stripped ball by Philly! New GM, time for new strategy!! No more high picks on CBs! DE or any LB has to be the priority at 14! CB is deep this yr! Not much difference at 14 through 45! I’d love to add Roquan Smith but now he’s been linked to 6th pick (colts) which would be to high to go get! If Marcus Davenport is there at 14 he’s the pick! The kid could be the Freak 2 in Wisconsin sports! At 6’6 264 he ran a 4.58 which is fast for a kid his size, had the best 3 cone time & best vertical at the combine at his position! You put on the tape and he reminds me of a poor mans Simon Rice! If Davenport is gone than trade back, accumulate more picks & go from there! Go Pack Go!!✌
Shaquem Griffin the one handed OLB is a damn good football player! The NFL brass of GMs & Scouts will cause this kid to be picked in the late 2nd, early to mid 3rd round because of Griffins hand issue! If this kid has a left hand he’s a top 15 pick!! Lol if size makes the QB than Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell & Brock Osweiler should have a road paved to Canton Griffin is a talent & trading back and getting another 3rd rounder will only help landing Griffin if Davenport is gone. Griffin regardless if the pack gets him or not will be the steal of this years draft!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While a team will say they "draft the best player available", I think the value on the player goes up or down based on a teams need. The Packers value on most of the QB's that will probably get picked in round 1, is about a round 2 and below value.

No, I just legitimately think Alexander is a viable option at 14.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I don't really think Alexander is viable for the Packers at #14 because of their height thresholds, but according to some analysts that I've really come to respect, he would not be a big reach for need at #14. Jeremiah and Brugler both have him at #16, while Mayock ranks him 12th.

D

Deleted member 6794

You are right, we need a nickel corner, and a guy opposite of King. House is on a 1 yr deal, and Tramon for 2, which gives us at least a yr before taking over.

While Williams is a decent upgrade on the outside I wouldn't mind the Packers adding another cornerback pushing him to be the starter.

I'd rather hear Mike Hughes than Josh Jackson.

I vehemently disagree with that take.

Teams need solid cornerback play to be successful on defense though. With the Packers in need of an upgrade at the position it would be smart to add another impact player at the position.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Packers want to play man, Alexander and Hughes make a lot more sense that Josh Jackson. If they want to play a lot of zone, Jackson is the guy. Why don't we compromise and draft Minkah.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Williams is a decent upgrade on the outside I wouldn't mind the Packers adding another cornerback pushing him to be the starter.

I vehemently disagree with that take.

Teams need solid cornerback play to be successful on defense though. With the Packers in need of an upgrade at the position it would be smart to add another impact player at the position.

Cornerbacks who can't/suck at tackling terrify me.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Then again, I still have this "fear" that I am going to hear "Mike Hughes" or "Joshua Jackson" called out and that very well could happen if Ward is gone.
What if Hughes or Jackson are the top guys on the Packers board? Maybe they could trade back, but then you don't know where other teams view these guys. All we know are what "draft experts" on TV and websites think., and we have bought into some of their rankings and predictions, plus we all have our own guys we like. Who knows, maybe the Packers have taken Hughes off their board after the private workout. I know Mike Daniels pounded the table for Josh Jackson (both from Iowa), is that why he's more in the conversation for the Packers? I'm a big fan of Jaire Alexander, whom I consider very comparable to Denzel Ward, a top 10 talent. If the top 8 non QB's are gone by our pick, I'd be fine if we took him, but I'm sure there will be a lot of wtf's out there, like when they drafted D Randall.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For years the Packers have been picking late in the first round and kind of "stuck" having to pick "non-consensus" top 1o players. This year, given the fact that we are at #14 and there are going to be at least 6 guys (some not top 10) coming off the board that don't fit our need, I am hopeful that a consensus top player is there. Right now it seems we are just on the edge of being able to do that and the players available will be good players, but possibly not one that everyone says "oh man, what a great pick for the Packers".

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers want to play man, Alexander and Hughes make a lot more sense that Josh Jackson. If they want to play a lot of zone, Jackson is the guy. Why don't we compromise and draft Minkah.
IF....Minkah is still there to pick, he would be my pick. Versatile guy, which is what the Packers need in the secondary, especially after losing Burnett and HaHa on his final year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big tackles with the ability to run block are hard to find. Mike McGlinchey. Hey...he is who I want.

OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF....Minkah is still there to pick, he would be my pick. Versatile guy, which is what the Packers need in the secondary, especially after losing Burnett and HaHa on his final year.
Im sure the versatile James would do too. I might actually prefer James since we do not know what we have in Jones yet, while James is also able to man ILB and Slot CB.

As for the CB's, If Ward is off the board I might actually prefer Hughes over Jackson too. Alexander, while a flashy pick, Im not sure if he will be a successful NFL boundary corner and I would not be keen on our highest pick we have had in ages on a guy who might only be able to man the slot for us.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess for me, if Ward, Fitz and James are all off the board, I would prefer either grabbing an EDGE guy over the remaining CB's or trade back and still get one of the remaining CB's in that pool of names being thrown around.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tackles with the ability to run block are far easier to find than tackles with the ability to pass block.
That has not been true for our recent past. We either have pass protect or neither. And besides...he can pass protect also. I know I am in the minority but he is who I would like.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess for me, if Ward, Fitz and James are all off the board, I would prefer either grabbing an EDGE guy over the remaining CB's or trade back and still get one of the remaining CB's in that pool of names being thrown around.

Completely agree. I really hope one of those 3 drop to us. They are all top 10 type talent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm pretty convinced our first pick is going to be a defensive player and it will either be a LB or CB guy, which one will depend on how the Packers have them ranked and who is left. I have to include ILB's in that group, because I would love R. Smith or Edmunds. :) If the Packers have 1-2 guys from that group that is head and shoulders above the rest, move up and get him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Patriots interest in Lamar Jackson seems pretty legit, he had a visit to Foxborough and a private workout in Florida with OC and QB coach Josh McDaniels.

Packers are sitting right in a spot where New England may have to trade up to get him. :) If our guy isn't there, stick it to Bill and get both their first round picks!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You ! can! make! this! same! argument! for! every! position! Some! great! ones! are! taken! early! and! some! are! taken! late! in the draft! as well!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots interest in Lamar Jackson seems pretty legit, he had a visit to Foxborough and a private workout in Florida with OC and QB coach Josh McDaniels.

Packers are sitting right in a spot where New England may have to trade up to get him. :) If our guy isn't there, stick it to Bill and get both their first round picks!

THey'd never give up their 2 1st rounders to move up 8 places to #14. It'd have to be their 23rd pick and a 2nd rounder.