Will they make the playoffs?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot of football left, as Packerlover said the Vikes have a relatively tough schedule Over the 4 weeks. Our schedule just got easier while there's is getting tougher. That also puts additional emphasis on this Sunday. A win increases our playoff chances dramatically this week while another loss, we begin to rely on help from other teams and that isn't a pretty proposition.
That's great and all, but winning our division considering the tough schedule that Minnesota has to face and our recent performance is like being happy about winning the AFC south, in my opinion. You still don't stand a chance against the real opponents once you make it there.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's great and all, but winning our division considering the tough schedule that Minnesota has to face and our recent performance is like being happy about winning the AFC south, in my opinion. You still don't stand a chance against the real opponents once you make it there.

First and foremost teams have to get to the playoffs to have a chance at winning the Super Bowl. Then it's adbout getting hot at the right time which the Packers are for sure capable of.

Over the last five seasons nobody expected the Packers, Giants and Ravens to win a title entering the postseason yet they ended up doing so.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 unbeaten teams just might go down this weekend. The elite Bengals got dropped in Cincy last weekend by an awful Houston Texans team and just went to show why any given Sunday a big old shakeup can happen with teams coming out of nowhere to make a run.

I'd say Washington has a top notch winning formula to burn down the cats' den in Carolina this Sunday, the screen game. We didn't do that enough in our game against them earlier this year and it's not our identity as an O, it is the Redskins', and if they run about 20 or more screen passes on Carolina with Matt Jones and Chris Thompson, the Panthers D will get gassed by Washington's physical blocking receivers. Also Desean Jackson and Jordan Reed are cooking at 100% right now and are gonna cause trouble. A big old dominating upset is going to happen in Charlotte.

I also think Buffalo can cause trouble in New England because of the Pats' beat up O-line and Julian Edelman out. They may not win but Tyrod Taylor seems to get how to run an NFL offense for the most part and the Bills after beating the Jets got a chip on their shoulder. Pats can't keep winning with this many injuries piling up on them.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with Captain. Right now there are so many things going wrong that if at least some of them get righted the Packers could be a playoff team to be reckoned with. Let's just list the things we've all talked about that could change:

- getting the pass rush back
- Nate Palmer not sucking (he played well last game)
- ARod's shoulder getting better
- the OL finally playing up to expectations
- Davante Adams getting his head out of his *** and getting in sync with Rodgers
- the return of Andrew Quarless giving Rodgers a better TE target, plus Perillo's good play
- the return of Ty Montgomery making a difference
- Eddie Lacy acting like a runner again and the return of the running game
- MM, Clements and Rodgers coming up with a better offensive game plan that helps get receivers open and Rodgers feeling more comfortable in the pocket.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 unbeaten teams just might go down this weekend. The elite Bengals got dropped in Cincy last weekend by an awful Houston Texans team and just went to show why any given Sunday a big old shakeup can happen with teams coming out of nowhere to make a run.

I'd say Washington has a top notch winning formula to burn down the cats' den in Carolina this Sunday, the screen game. We didn't do that enough in our game against them earlier this year and it's not our identity as an O, it is the Redskins', and if they run about 20 or more screen passes on Carolina with Matt Jones and Chris Thompson, the Panthers D will get gassed by Washington's physical blocking receivers. Also Desean Jackson and Jordan Reed are cooking at 100% right now and are gonna cause trouble. A big old dominating upset is going to happen in Charlotte.

I also think Buffalo can cause trouble in New England because of the Pats' beat up O-line and Julian Edelman out. They may not win but Tyrod Taylor seems to get how to run an NFL offense for the most part and the Bills after beating the Jets got a chip on their shoulder. Pats can't keep winning with this many injuries piling up on them.

Pats should have lost last week if the Giant's DB had held onto a sure INT as he hit the ground. Don't tell that to Pats fans though, it might shed a slightly bad light on Brady, who is light years ahead of any QB in the NFL now and forever more, oh my.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's possible the Redskins cause troubles for the Panthers as I don't think Carolina is that great of a team in the first place.

I don't see the Bills causing any problems for the Patriots though. New England completely dominated them at Buffalo in week 2, leading by 24 after three quarters.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible the Redskins cause troubles for the Panthers as I don't think Carolina is that great of a team in the first place.

I don't see the Bills causing any problems for the Patriots though. New England completely dominated them at Buffalo in week 2, leading by 24 after three quarters.

But with Julian Edelman, Dion Lewis, and a healthier O-line I might add. Again those injuries are starting to take their toll on the Pats and at some point, they're gonna add up.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Do they make the playoffs?

Yes.

Do they win the North?

Yes.

Nothing evident to hand your hat on now -- and all evidence to the contrary at this point in time, but ... there is a lot of winning football in the heads of this coaching staff. They won't dominate doing it, but I firmly believe that we see a 5th consecutive North division title. Once the Pack accomplish that goal, then we'll talk playoffs. Go Pack

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll have the usual; 11 wins, +/-, win a crap division and make the playoffs in a parity/mediocre driven league in which better than a third of the mediocrities go to the playoffs, some with losing records.
It's getting old.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far they haven't shown any signs of slowing down though.

It's the genius of the Patriots.
It's why the "Bellicheat" and "cheaters" stuff always cracks me up.
As if any of it has one iota of effect on now 15 consecutive seasons of excellence.

Reaction score
First and foremost teams have to get to the playoffs to have a chance at winning the Super Bowl. Then it's adbout getting hot at the right time which the Packers are for sure capable of.

Over the last five seasons nobody expected the Packers, Giants and Ravens to win a title entering the postseason yet they ended up doing so.
And not to steal your thunder.. But sometimes being off radar or underestimated plays to an advantage to do so

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And not to steal your thunder.. But sometimes being off radar or underestimated plays to an advantage to do so
That's true for the other teams, but the Packers were predicted by many to win it all that year and were labeled the "most dangerous" team in the playoffs because of how well the defense was playing and our passing game. Clearly, neither one of those is intimidating anymore.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far they haven't shown any signs of slowing down though.

I'm ... not so sure about that, their dynamics shifted to struggling a little last Sunday after Edelman went down. At some point, those injuries will catch you, and Brady was under some pressure from a Giants D-line that had only 9 sacks until facing him. Buffalo's problems their players complained about with Rex is that he's tried too many funky coverage schemes with players like Mario Williams having to drop back more and not pass rush this year. If he changes that up against Brady and attacks a struggling O-line, NE might be trying to keep their heads above water this game.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb a little. I think our chances for the playoffs got real slim when Jordy went down. He drew a lot of attention from defenses. If I'm honest, as much as I like some of the receivers, none of them is going to draw a lot of attention. Sure they might double Jones or Cobb. But I don't think defenses worry about either one. When I take my green and gold glasses off, I see a receiving corps that is only "fair to middlin". No playoffs this year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb a little. I think our chances for the playoffs got real slim when Jordy went down. He drew a lot of attention from defenses. If I'm honest, as much as I like some of the receivers, none of them is going to draw a lot of attention. Sure they might double Jones or Cobb. But I don't think defenses worry about either one. When I take my green and gold glasses off, I see a receiving corps that is only "fair to middlin". No playoffs this year.

Agree with all your points, but they should be able to hang on to a playoff spot with a 2 game lead on the 7th seed.

Reaction score
That's true for the other teams, but the Packers were predicted by many to win it all that year and were labeled the "most dangerous" team in the playoffs because of how well the defense was playing and our passing game. Clearly, neither one of those is intimidating anymore.
Yes Patriot, But the key is not until playoffs. All the sports authorities jumped on the bandwagon once we won a couple road games postseason. The point I was making is we weren't favorites late regular season and were an unknown. AR was coming off a concussion and we were vying for the last wildcard spot.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have a hard time accepting that a passing offense with Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, and James Jones just isn't good enough to get the job done when one headlined by Josh McCown, Johnny Manziel, Travis Benjamin, and Gary Barnidge is currently a top 6 passing offense.

I don't buy it. They were good enough the first 6 weeks, and I sure hope they wouldn't use that as an excuse for what's going on even if true.

There's no excuse for a 12-4 team suddenly having slim playoff odds after losing one WR as you say when they have an MVP quarterback.

D

Deleted member 6794

While losing Nelson for the entire season for sure hurt the Packers there would be something completely wrong with the team if losing him would result in the odds-on favourite to win the Super Bowl not having a chance to make the playoffs.

BTW I can't remember anyone posting the team not going to the playoffs at the time of Nelson's injury. And a lot of you seem to forget we have a two game lead over the 7th place teams with already having secured the tie-breaker over some of them.

The Patriots nearly lost to the Giants last game. 1pt is their least margin of victory this year. I think it's safe to say injuries have taken a toll on them.

For some reason the Patriots always had a tough time beating the Giants and Coughlin. I don't see the Bills having a chance at Foxboro.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb a little. I think our chances for the playoffs got real slim when Jordy went down. He drew a lot of attention from defenses.
But you weren't thinking that when the Packers were 6-0, right? After Nelson went down their road to a title got tougher but there was no reason to think their chances for the playoffs were slim at the start of the season. If the OL were playing as they did at the end of last season, if Rodgers were playing as he did - only with two healthy legs, if the RBs were producing as they did, their receiver corp was plenty good enough to win the division without Nelson.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you weren't thinking that when the Packers were 6-0, right? After Nelson went down their road to a title got tougher but there was no reason to think their chances for the playoffs were slim at the start of the season. If the OL were playing as they did at the end of last season, if Rodgers were playing as he did - only with two healthy legs, if the RBs were producing as they did, their receiver corp was plenty good enough to win the division without Nelson.

And there's the rub. Likely not good enough for much more than that.

Reaction score
I guess we're about to find out. There's no arguing that the Vikings are playing good solid playoff level ball. Although a win is huge, if we either Win OR we lose at MN by 3 or less I would say we are rebounding. A win would make us all feel much better tho. Our playoffs start tomorrow

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And there's the rub. Likely not good enough for much more than that.

Didn't stop Vegas and most 'experts' after the Jordy injury from still picking us for SB50.

I don't understand the mentality of looking at the Jordy injury in a vacuum. Jordy didn't guarantee us a Super Bowl if he stays healthy all year and not having him doesn't make it impossible. It's a major obstacle on the way that makes goals more difficult.

There are so many other potential variables that come into play: potential breakout players, surprise rookies, the performance of the O line, A Rodg maintaining MVP caliber play, and the upside of guys like R Rodgers, Adams, Janis, etc. So many other moving parts that can come into play and how they have or haven't contributed as we hope or expect so far has helped determine where we are now and depending on what they do the rest of the way will continue to do so.