Will the Packers win another Super Bowl with MM and Rodgers?

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they will.

Both the Seahawks and 49ers were two teams that found lots of studs in the draft quickly. That combined with small QB contracts allowed them to bring in other key pieces as free agents.

The 49ers already paid Kaepernick and the Seahawks have to pay Wilson soon. That means they will be losing other pieces. Unless they keep drafting so well, which is unlikely, they'll come back down and we'll compete with them.

We aren't even that far from the Niners based on the playoffs last year.

Also, Rodgers will get them to the playoffs every year. They could get hot at the right time just like 2010. The Giants did it twice. They haven't even been that good expect for those 8 games. Last year's team right before Rodgers went down was a team that looked very good and was a team I think could have beat anyone.

Great strategy, wait till the 49ers and Seahawks suck then the packers can compete. Lets hope those two teams come down to the packers level and compete instead of the packers rising to their level and competing.

I get what you are saying but teams will learn that you can't spend crazy amount of money on a QB , it leaves too little money to build a complete team around him. As we have seen with the packers. Yes the 49ers will likely take a step back this year and in 1 or 2 years so will the seahawks, but maybe 2 other teams will emerge and replace those 2.

The packers have not drafted all that well recently and it shows. I don't care that they are drafting later in the 1st round every year, they need to draft better and/or use free agency more to stop gap positions not found in the draft.

H

HardRightEdge

As to the OP: maybe.

Rodgers will be around for something close to a decade; McCarthy perhaps another five years.

It won't be this year, however, with a front 7 where the whole is less than the sum of the part.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have my doubts.
Not in Rodgers, he is the best and with him we will have a chance.
My doubts are with:
1. Capers and his defense
2. McCarthy's play calling
3. Ted's drafting

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great strategy, wait till the 49ers and Seahawks suck then the packers can compete. Lets hope those two teams come down to the packers level and compete instead of the packers rising to their level and competing.

I get what you are saying but teams will learn that you can't spend crazy amount of money on a QB , it leaves too little money to build a complete team around him. As we have seen with the packers. Yes the 49ers will likely take a step back this year and in 1 or 2 years so will the seahawks, but maybe 2 other teams will emerge and replace those 2.

The packers have not drafted all that well recently and it shows. I don't care that they are drafting later in the 1st round every year, they need to draft better and/or use free agency more to stop gap positions not found in the draft.

So should the Packers have not paid Rodgers?

Also, you're clearly mistaking if you think the Packers aren't always trying to get better.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have my doubts.
Not in Rodgers, he is the best and with him we will have a chance.
My doubts are with:
1. Capers and his defense
2. McCarthy's play calling
3. Ted's drafting
I understand the concerns with Capers and drafting, the one that doesn't make sense to me is McCarthy's play calling. Look at where his Green Bay offenses have finished in the league - overall there's nothing wrong with his play calling.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No team is probably going to win another Superbowl no matter what players they have because it's freaking hard to win the Superbowl. We have a better chance than most to win in any given year because of Rodgers but there is so much that goes into it that it doesn't mean we are entitled to more Superbowls. Look at Brady/Belicheck, a 1st ballot HOF QB and Coach combo and they've gone a decade without winning a SB and for all the talk about how much better SF has been than us they've won 0 Superbowls so far.

We'll see what happens, the NFL isn't like the NBA where you always know months ahead of time who is going to be playing for a championship. Hell, we looked like we weren't even a playoff team at points in 2010 then we essentially dominated parts of the playoffs and Superbowl. That's part of what's so great about it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The Pack's win after the 2010 season completely and utterly surprised me week after week ... so, what the heck. They could win another one. Won't rule it out because all it really takes is for the 9'ers and the Seahawks run of luck regarding injuries to hit a 'burp' and they're suddenly vulnerable. If the Pack can avoid those injuries for once (yeah right) while the 9'ers and 'hawks experience OUR world ... yeah, it could happen this year.

As it sits now, I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that the Pack's talent level is near the 9'ers and 'hawks.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the rule changes are geared towards helping the offense. The NFL wants 55-50 games. You often hear 'it's a QB driven league'.
So I find it kind of ironic that the two most successful teams of recent times- and the two teams most feared now, the 'Hawks and 'Niners, are throwbacks. They win by running the ball well and playing solid, shutdown, physical defense.
They're old school, smash mouth football teams.
Until the Packers can go toe to toe with them on those terms, we'll remain a second tier team.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the concerns with Capers and drafting, the one that doesn't make sense to me is McCarthy's play calling. Look at where his Green Bay offenses have finished in the league - overall there's nothing wrong with his play calling.
I need to clarify this.
It's not the play calling per se.
I feel like Mike gets tunnel vision and is stubborn, which affects his ability to adjust to what the opposition is doing.

He goes in with his game plan and his 15-20 scripted plays and it seems to me he is loath to adjust his game plan accordingly.
There is no question he has had a successful offense over the years but but I think that is mostly attributable to having the best QB in the game rather than his coaching.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, my mistake, I thought he was talking about points not ranking of were they were. That's easy. 2006 Colts and 2011 Giants.

My point is, it does not matter were you rank compared to other teams. As long as the point differential is around 8 per game you have a better chance of making it to the Super Bowl. The year the Saints won their defense was ranked 20th in points scored yet their offense was ranked 1. They averaged 10.6 ppg more on offense then what the defense gave up. The Vikings that year scored 9.9 ppg more than the defense gave up. They were ranked 10th compared to the Saints 20. The difference, the Saint D allow 341 points during the season and the Vikings 312 points during the season a difference of 1.8 ppg over the season. That 1.8 separates the D of the two teams by 10 places in the rankings.

I absolutely agree with, but when you use that Saints team as an example it kind of goes against everything you were saying about "good defenses", the Saints did not have that high of a point difference because the Defense was good, it was that high because the offense was so damn good.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with, but when you use that Saints team as an example it kind of goes against everything you were saying about "good defenses", the Saints did not have that high of a point difference because the Defense was good, it was that high because the offense was so damn good.
Actually the Saints defense that year would be considered just below average at best. The NFL average for points scored and points given up since the Super Bowl era started is 20.7 ppg. So, any point given up higher than that would make a team below average. The Saints defense that year gave up 21.3 ppg. So I would agree with you on that point. I don't think I called the Saints a good defense. Just pointing out that the difference in points. It is highly unusual for a team the gives up that many ppg to win the Super Bowl. Just means the offense has to be way out there. What is interesting is that out of the top 20 highest scoring teams in the NFL only 3 have won the Super Bowl. I think it's three. And only half of them even made the playoffs.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the Saints defense that year would be considered just below average at best. The NFL average for points scored and points given up since the Super Bowl era started is 20.7 ppg. So, any point given up higher than that would make a team below average. The Saints defense that year gave up 21.3 ppg. So I would agree with you on that point. I don't think I called the Saints a good defense. Just pointing out that the difference in points. It is highly unusual for a team the gives up that many ppg to win the Super Bowl. Just means the offense has to be way out there. What is interesting is that out of the top 20 highest scoring teams in the NFL only 3 have won the Super Bowl. I think it's three. And only half of them even made the playoffs.

It would be interesting to see stats on how bad the defense was on those top 20 scoring offenses of all time? I am certain that at least 2 of them, the Packers and Patriots from 2011 were two of the worst defenses of all time I believe?

I am just wondering if those top 20 scoring offenses even had average defenses?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see stats on how bad the defense was on those top 20 scoring offenses of all time? I am certain that at least 2 of them, the Packers and Patriots from 2011 were two of the worst defenses of all time I believe?

I am just wondering if those top 20 scoring offenses even had average defenses?
I think I can do that for you. Give me some time.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I am certain that at least 2 of them, the Packers and Patriots from 2011 were two of the worst defenses of all time I believe?
According to nfl.com in the 2011 regular season, the Packers defense finished 19th in points surrendered with a 22.4 ppg average. The Patriots finished 15th at 21.4 ppg. While they weren't the worst in points allowed, they were in yards surrendered: They finished 32nd and 31st respectively in that category.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to nfl.com in the 2011 regular season, the Packers defense finished 19th in points surrendered with a 22.4 ppg average. The Patriots finished 15th at 21.4 ppg. While they weren't the worst in points allowed, they were in yards surrendered: They finished 32nd and 31st respectively in that category.

You are right! I keep forgetting that when people on TV are always talking about had bad a defense is they always seem to go to the less important yards allowed stat instead of points allowed!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Ok here we go. This is a list of the top 20 scoring teams in the NFL. 2011 has 3 teams on the list. Also listed in order left to right are the rankings. The ranks in ( ) are ranks for what would have been a combined league before the merger. For example, the 1967 Raiders were 2nd in points allowed in the AFL but would have been 6th in a combined league. Points per game offense, Yards per game, Defensive point given up, Defensive yards given up. The Super Bowl winners are indicated by the *, Super Bowl losers by #.

Code:
                                     OPG  OYG  DPG   DYG
1     2013    Denver Broncos #        1    1    22    19
2     2007    New England Patriots#   1    1     4     4
3     2011    Green Bay Packers       1    3    19    32
4     1998    Minnesota Vikings       1    2     6    13
4     2012    New England Patriots    1    1     9    25
6     2011    New Orleans Saints      2    1    13    24
7     1983    Washington Redskins#    1    3    11    12
7     2000    St. Louis Rams          1    1    31    23
9     1967    Oakland Raiders#        1    3    2(6)   1
10    1999    St. Louis Rams*         1    1     4     6
11    2004    Indianapolis Colts      1    2    19    29
12    1968    Oakland Raiders         1    1    2(6)   3
12    2010    New England Patriots    1    8     8    25
14    1984    Miami Dolphins#         1    1     7    19
14    2011    New England Patriots#   3    2    15    31
16    1966    Kansas City Chiefs #    1    1    2(9)   2
16    1982    San Diego Chargers      1    1    24    25
18    2009    New Orleans Saints*     1    1    20    25
19    1966    Dallas Cowboys          1    1     4     2
20    1994    San Francisco 49ers*    1    2     6     8

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Argument goes that the Pack's D in 2010 improved as the season progressed and finally hit the proverbial crescendo in the playoffs -- I mean, OK-valid observation in hindsight --- however, as the Pack went through the playoffs after the 2010 season, can any Packers fan say that they weren't waiting for the other shoe to drop through and including the playoffs?

Look... they can't have the Lombardi back ... but, I went through that season watching a pretty lame defense and was not-so-silently half-expecting THAT defense to make a return appearance at one point or another...fortunately...that reappearance didn't occur until the year following Super Bowl 45. Anyway ... I sat through '82... '83 and '84 when I watched a Super Bowl caliber offense finish 8-8 with historically porous defenses, so pardon me if I'm skeptical. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Argument goes that the Pack's D in 2010 improved as the season progressed and finally hit the proverbial crescendo in the playoffs -- I mean, OK-valid observation in hindsight --- however, as the Pack went through the playoffs after the 2010 season, can any Packers fan say that they weren't waiting for the other shoe to drop through and including the playoffs?

Look... they can't have the Lombardi back ... but, I went through that season watching a pretty lame defense and was not-so-silently half-expecting THAT defense to make a return appearance at one point or another...fortunately...that reappearance didn't occur until the year following Super Bowl 45.

I still don't get it why a lot of people think the 2010 defense was lame. It finished 5th in yards and 2nd in points allowed.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the focus of the team and the highest paid player in the league. But his performance in big games has been suspect of late. We paid top dollar to the guy who was lights out in January and February of 2011. Not the guy who has repeatedly struggled against Seattle and San Francisco. Yes their defenses were part of the problem but if you watch Rodgers play against those teams again, and in particular his struggles against the cover 2, his shortcomings cannot be ignored. In big games he keeps missing easy throws, he's frequently indecisive and he seems to struggle deciding when to check down and when to try and extend the play. He's not perfect, but if we're going to feed him the paychecks we feed him we need him to be close to perfect if we're going to win another Super Bowl.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the focus of the team and the highest paid player in the league. But his performance in big games has been suspect of late. We paid top dollar to the guy who was lights out in January and February of 2011. Not the guy who has repeatedly struggled against Seattle and San Francisco. Yes their defenses were part of the problem but if you watch Rodgers play against those teams again, and in particular his struggles against the cover 2, his shortcomings cannot be ignored. In big games he keeps missing easy throws, he's frequently indecisive and he seems to struggle deciding when to check down and when to try and extend the play. He's not perfect, but if we're going to feed him the paychecks we feed him we need him to be close to perfect if we're going to win another Super Bowl.

I'm inclined to agree with you, although I think the issue is more his performance in close games than anything else. It's been his one biggest weakness his entire career.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no faith we can draft and develop offensive and defensive linemen and until that happens a super bowl is extremely unlikely. And Rodgers needs to stop holding onto the ball for so long.

Members online

Latest posts