Wildcard Weekend Packers vs 49ers

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will still root for the Pack, I will still hope they win..I will not give up the game if the niners score on their 1st possession..

I will always cheer them on until it is very evident the will lose..
I agree I was just playing with you. I think we lose but we do have a chance if the d can hold them to under 30 which is a big if. The packers best defense might have to be the Packers offense eating up the clock.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
the 49ers have Michael Crabtree now
Who is useless on the outside, where he will be, because Boldin has a stranglehold on the slot. I'm more worried about Patton than Crabtree at this point.

Where were you week one this year when we had Matthews, and the Niners didn't have their #1 WR, and Kaepernick threw for over 400 yards and about a 130-passer rating?

What do you mean "actually throw the ball"?

Come on now..... we all want to win, but let's be real here.
Bubble burst, Boldin IS their #1, and he WAS there week 1. He was the only one catching passes, remember? Guess what, that hasn't changed.

goldstandard333

49ers Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the end... of your season. :p

It's all in good fun guys. Good luck Sunday.

Whoever wins I hope can beat the Seaterds. God I hate that team.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference, or problem rather is that everyone keeps saying the 49ers are a power running team, when GB has better running backs, and the stats prove that. So it doesn't make any sense.

I'm not sure you know what the phrase "power running team" means. It highlights the scheme and philosophy of the team, not necessarily the quality of the run game. The niners are more likely to feature six or seven olinemen than three wr sets. They are a ground and pound offense. While the Packers are certainly a more balanced team this year (a consequence of Rodgers going down), they are still more likely to spread a D out. They still may run out of the spread formations, but that is not a power run offense.

As far as the stats "proving" who has better backs - I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Lacy's and Gore's stats are almost identical, and I'm inclined to go with the vet. He's done it year in and year out. And this year the niners played seven games against top 10 rush D's. This is no knock on Lacy, I think he's outstanding, and I think he'll be a major headache for the niners (my posts here have stated that many times).

As far as your passing offense, of course you guys are way ahead of the niners. You have the best qb in the NFL. But none of this makes your offense a "power run offense."

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty clear. We are just as productive on the ground, but we can actually throw the ball. It's a big difference from the 9ers and their "Where's Boldin" air game.

You guys seem to think I knocked you team somewhere. I don't think any niner fan would say that our offense is nearly as explosive as yours. I simply stated in a post that Miller was an important piece for the niners because of their power run philosophy. Packfanforlife was upset(?), I guess, that I didn't say you guys were a power run team also.

I was simply pointing out that the two offenses have drastically different philosophies. But hey, if you guys want to run seven olinemen, a Te, and a FB onto the field and run Lacy, then great. The defenses across the NFL will thank you for taking the ball out of Rodgers' hands.

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't run or throw the ball better at this point in the season. That's all there is to it. "Power house" run team.

I'm confused, were these posts directed at me? Or were they directed at FrankRizzo? You realize he is a Packer fan, correct?

AFan77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niners are not the cause of our horrible luck. You are right about that.
But they are the team who ended our season last year and probably this year, and had THEY had OUR injuries and we theirs, it would have been different.

Also, I remember the following 3 Packers tearing ACL's in home games against the 49ers:

Robert Brooks, 1996
Al Harris & Aaron Kampman, 2009

None of them were cheap hits at all, in fact all 3 were NON-CONTACT at all.
The Harris and Kampman ones were about 2 plays apart if I remember right. Both great long-time Packers, and they were their final plays ever as Packers. Sad.

I hold on to grudges for awhile.... :mad:

Lol, okay, I understand. Well, I hope both teams escape this game without injury (and with the use of all their fingers and toes). I think this a coin flip game, and I want to see whoever wins keep winning this postseason. With that said, go niners.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offenses and RBs aside, I can't be optimistic about this game because of the defense. Nothing I see tells me that the Packers' defense will be able to stop the 49ers. With so many players hurt, other players underperforming and the overall weaknesses of this defense especially against the 49ers, I just don't think the Packers offense will be able to keep up. All it will take is a few stops by the Niners defense, which they are very capable of. Unless SF commits a rash of turnovers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh, and Baldinger said AR was out of sync - mistiming his pass on the first INT against Chicago. Am I the only one who saw Q stop his route? The CB covering him kept running and the ball went right to him. Had Q continued his route - TD.

Rodgers said on his radio show that it was his fault and Q ran the correct route.

And thanks to Greg Jennings we all know that Rodgers never takes any blame for his receivers, so it's gotta be the truth.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
All I can say about this thread is that I'm glad the game won't be decided here. Haha...

As is the case with EVERY game, it is going to be decided at the line on both sides of the ball for both teams. That is roughly the same as saying "the team with the most points at the end wins", I recognize that but my point is that the 3 previous games have ZERO to do with the outcome of Sunday's "Freezer Burn Bowl". As always, the team turning the ball over is going to lose ... the team with the most stupid penalties is going to lose....

I'm not even going to argue the talent levels by comparison. I'm not even going to argue the Gore v. Lacy thing -- I'm going to say that the teams' talent levels are not that different and, if the Pack want to win this game more than the 9'ers, they probably will win it. If they come out unprepared AGAIN (meaning Capers' head has been up his *** all week AGAIN) they will probably lose.

Make no mistake, the 9'ers are a good team that has thoroughly out performed the Pack in the last three meetings -- but, that has ZERO to do with how this game comes out.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled internet/cyber pi$$ing match. :)

RonRod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good luck on Sunday. I appreciate the intelligent niner fans coming here to talk football. Some good discussion in here. Niners are the favored team and are playing great ball right now. Packers have to play their A game and the niners need to make some mistakes and play their B- game for the pack to win

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can Capers get smart finally and turn the big boys loose?
Show the Niners some stuff they've never seen from us, scouted for, practiced for.

Put in 4 DL more often. It won't hurt to take away a LB... our LBers aren't that good anyway.

Just confuse their schemes... Harbawwwww is a smart coach and he will have his offense (and defense) prepared for everything that we've done.

It's the unscouted stuff that can have a big impact.

I want Capers to throw all kinds of new stuff at the Niners, let's get guys into the backfield early and often.
If we can get Colin to panic, he might serve up an Int or two.

Didn't Shields get one to start last year's Wildcard game?
That helped.
But then we could never stop them. We have to be able to actually STOP them, not bank on turnovers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

True or False:
Had the Niners stuck with Alex Smith and not gone to Kaepernick last year, the Packers would have probably won that playoff game. It was the read-option and CK & Gore's legs that killed us.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple more videos here

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is useless on the outside, where he will be, because Boldin has a stranglehold on the slot. I'm more worried about Patton than Crabtree at this point.

Bubble burst, Boldin IS their #1, and he WAS there week 1. He was the only one catching passes, remember? Guess what, that hasn't changed.

Patton has showed potential, but you're crazy. Crabtree is our number 1.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just thought I'd address the "Power Running Offense" Argument. The 49ers are a power running team. The Packers are not.

That has nothing to do with the outcome tomorrow. It has nothing to do with the stats of the players involved. It has everything to do with the entire offensive philosophy. People just looking at the numbers are missing something pretty significant...what DEFENSES are doing against the team. The 49ers were able to put up the rush numbers they have DESPITE CONSTANTLY facing 8 and 9 man fronts. The 49ers have routinely faced defense whose sole goal in the game was to take away the run game and were completely unable to do so.

This was particularly true early in the year when Crabtree was out and Vernon Davis was hobbled with a hamstring injury. With Crabtree out, Vernon injured, Patton out, Manningham out, and none of the other receivers on the team capable of getting open, defenses essentially just sat on the already separation challenged Boldin leaving very few options for a struggling Kap in the passing game. Teams stacked up in an unprecedented way against the run and were STILL unable to stop it.

Crabtree is back. Vernon is back. Patton is back. The result is Kap having 10 TDs and 1 INT down the stretch here against some pretty good defenses (Seattle, Rams, Cards). The philosophy though is the same. Power running with play action passing. Teams can no longer simply sit on Boldin now because Vernon can beat you deep and Crabtree can easily beat one on one coverage. This is why the 49ers have won 6 games in a row now.

None of this is a guarantee of a win tomorrow. Any given sunday...especially in these conditions. To suggest tho that the Packers are a power run team in the same way the 49ers are simply illustrates that you don't understand what these two offenses are built to do and how they try to accomplish their goal.

Lacy could have a big game tomorrow. The 49ers in the past have had issues with bigger, physical backs mainly because they have so much speed in the front 7, but not so much size. Perhaps the conditions might eliminate that speed advantage. Who knows.

I'm just saying there is a reason one of these teams is considered a power run team while the other is not.

Midnight Toker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference, or problem rather is that everyone keeps saying the 49ers are a power running team, when GB has better running backs, and the stats prove that. So it doesn't make any sense.

IT's because as a team they outrushed GB. They have a better Oline and the qb is mobile. So they make a lot of plays on the ground. How else would a team with the 30th rated pass offense average 25 ppg? GB had a good season on the ground, and that was partially due to your pass happy qb being hurt and they needed a playmaker. I highly doubt your running game is going to be this good next year if Rodgers plays all 16 games.

D

Deleted member 6794

I highly doubt your running game is going to be this good next year if Rodgers plays all 16 games.

I'm not buying into that cause IMO having Rodgers on the field opens up the run game and as long as MM will stick with it the Packers should be able to run the ball effectively.

Let's take a look at the rushing stats for the Packers with and without Rodgers this season (RB stats only):

When Rodgers played (8 games and one series) the Packers RBs ran the ball 215 times for 1,058 yards (4.9 yards per carry) and 7 TDs.

Without Rodgers (8 games minus one series) the stat line is: 192 rushes for 842 yards (4.4 average) and 8 TDs.

While I agree the Packers don't have a power running game, there's no reason for me to believe they won't run the ball well with Rodgers for an entire season.

Midnight Toker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well what's changed is teams used to double up on boldin. Now with Crabtree and Patton in, you can't double team him or you pay for it. Choose your poison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk