Why was the running game better against Vikes?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the biggest difference with the running game today was that they deviated more than they have in a long time from the zone blocking scheme. They ran it more to the outside and even had interior linemen pulling on the TD run by Grant. They also had a few good runs between the tackles by using delayed handoffs. Spread formations also helped. Maybe the coaches are learning to use the talent they have instead of forcing the players into a strict system.

Also, Ryan Grant is good and is gaining confidence. I like what Scott Wells said about him:

“It makes it a little easier to block when you have a back that’s (a) downhill (runner),” center Scott Wells said. “He makes one cut and hits the hole. If he has to, he’ll bury his head and go get a yard or two. It makes our job easier that way. We don’t have to worry about him dancing around and guys falling off of us on our blocks. I like his style.”

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was still a young line that needed to get the hang of things. As the season went on, things got better. Add the fact that we finally put our best RB back there, and BOOM, good things happen. BOOM!

BOOM! tough actin tinactin

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post. The truth in that quote you put in there and I am sure other members of the oline have something similar to say. You need a fearless running back. The less dancing... the more comfortable it makes the guys blocking for you.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed on the TD pass to Lee that Grant had a real nice cut block to seal off the pressure coming instantly from the left side. But back to the topic subject...the o-line was blocking their ***** off today, and Grant is running hard AND gaining confidence...IMHO of course.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
offensive line looked goof today on the kickout blocks....reminded me of 4 years ago with ahman in his hay day.... lookin a lot better, we gotta keep it up

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant looks real good. I'm not 100% there yet but he really looked like Dorsey Levens out there. Not just because of the number either. He lowers his shoulder and he's one cut and go. I think he has the potential to get the job done for this season. I'm not sure if he is the long term answer but another 100 yard game next week will have me smiling for a week. :)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think the biggest difference with the running game today was that they deviated more than they have in a long time from the zone blocking scheme. They ran it more to the outside and even had interior linemen pulling on the TD run by Grant. They also had a few good runs between the tackles by using delayed handoffs. Spread formations also helped. Maybe the coaches are learning to use the talent they have instead of forcing the players into a strict system.

Also, Ryan Grant is good and is gaining confidence. I like what Scott Wells said about him:

“It makes it a little easier to block when you have a back that’s (a) downhill (runner),” center Scott Wells said. “He makes one cut and hits the hole. If he has to, he’ll bury his head and go get a yard or two. It makes our job easier that way. We don’t have to worry about him dancing around and guys falling off of us on our blocks. I like his style.”

I noticed that. If you can't make things happen up the middle, try elsewhere. We did a lot of outside running, and it worked. Not only Grant looked good, but I saw holes. I haven't seen holes all year.

Thumbs up for the coaching for this game. Finally, some good running. The best part about it all is isn't MN the best team in the NFC against the run? They haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher all year, and Grant got over 100 yards.

packattack92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i really think we are starting to put it together on the ground.
our defense has been solid all year along with the passing game, and now we really look like a good football team.
It's about damn time

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think alot of it had to do with the Vikings having the best run defense..............which i think was ONLY because they suck so bad at pass defense, that teams just never ran the ball. I mean, why run when you can pass at will? (Or Donald,or Greg, or Reuvel, or James.....ETC.) :lol:
So maybe teams had low rushing yards because they just didn't run the ball, not because the Viking D is so good against the run.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two reasons...

1) There were some holes to run thru
2) We found a runner who would rather get on their side of the line of scrimmage than dance on our side.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I hate the shovel pass. It surprises teams 2 or 3 times a year, but when they don't work, things could go terribly wrong...skeers me to death.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Two reasons...

1) There were some holes to run thru
2) We found a runner who would rather get on their side of the line of scrimmage than dance on our side.

Perfect

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think the biggest difference with the running game today was that they deviated more than they have in a long time from the zone blocking scheme. They ran it more to the outside and even had interior linemen pulling on the TD run by Grant. They also had a few good runs between the tackles by using delayed handoffs.

Excellent points. We barely used the ZBS at all yesterday.

I also think alot of it had to do with the Vikings having the best run defense..............which i think was ONLY because they suck so bad at pass defense, that teams just never ran the ball. I mean, why run when you can pass at will? (Or Donald,or Greg, or Reuvel, or James.....ETC.) :lol:
So maybe teams had low rushing yards because they just didn't run the ball, not because the Viking D is so good against the run.

The Minny run D is great. Even after yesterday teams are only averaging 3.0 yards per carry against them, which is 2nd in the NFL. Their pass D may not be very good, but they can certainly stop the run.

Larry Johnson had 24 carries for 42 yards against them. LT and Turner had 17 carries for 37 yards. They have shutdown most every running game they've faced, and that goes all the way back through last season when they led the league in rushing yards against.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key, the OL (especially the guards) stepped up to the challenge MM presented to them. He was seriously unhappy with the way our OL performed last week and he singled out our guards needing to play better. These guys stepped up to that challenge and opened up some good holes for Grant to take advantage.

In addition I think that Grant was challenged to prove himself as the starter. He did a great job stepping up his game and ran with a purpose. I feel much better about our RBs after watching him yesterday. Great pick-up by TT!

GO PACK GO!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Teams rush an average of 26 times per game on them

comparasions

Packers opps rush 25 times per game times per game on them

New England 20 times per game opps rush on them

Indy 27 times opps rush on them

~~~~~~~~

Its not that teams dont run on Minny, its that most teams CANT...Other then yesterday no one had rushed for more then 100 yards on them

A few years ago the Packers led the league in pass yards given up..and it wasnt cuz they were good, but cuz their running D sucked so bad people would rather run..

Reaction score
Something a little different: I'll also say the great blocking of the WRs and FB Hall delivering some great blocks really helped as well.

Without K-Rob and Hall delivering the key blocks they did on Grant's first TD run, Grant doesn't score and gets a 5-7 yard gain at most.

I think the WRs blocked great today, I don't think I saw a CB make a tackle on our RB when Grant was hitting the edges.

JSOnline writer Greg Bedard said the same thing about our WR blocking, which he called better than it had been the last couple of games.

And of course there were actually holes opened by the o-line.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am starting to believe that McCarthy is an offensive genius. It seems that although he is running a zone blocking, pass first west coast offense he tweaks the offense weekly to attack the vulnerabilities of that given oppenent.

This week, they junked much of the zone scheme and pulled some guards and attacked the edges of the Vikings defense. They also pulled one direction and ran boots the other direction numerous times. This caused the interior of the Vikings line(their stregth) do alot of running and move laterally, rather than plugging gaps and getting upfield. It also exposed their DE's as average to below overage run stoppers. When we did attack the middle of the DL it was with draws and shovel passes that invited the line to penetrate. The passing game was shorter and quicker timing routes, as the Vikings played a good deal of cover 2 to minimize the long pass that had been effective the past few weeks.

In all, as noted earlier I have been very impressed with the ability of McCarthy and his staff to gameplan to attack opponents weaknesses, while putting our offense in situations where they can succeed within the basic scheme of our system.

Rios39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our team may take a big turn for the better if Grant can keep finishing runs like he does. He's been finding holes and running HARD through it.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What you saw Sunday was great game planning by MM.

He knew the Vikes would be worried about their pass defense. He used the delay to create openings and creases for Grant. He got the LB's and DL in a bad place HAVING to respect what initially looked like the start of a pass play.

Very seldom did he go straight at their strengh with a traditional handoff between the tackles.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Teams rush an average of 26 times per game on them

comparasions

Packers opps rush 25 times per game times per game on them

New England 20 times per game opps rush on them

Indy 27 times opps rush on them

~~~~~~~~

Its not that teams dont run on Minny, its that most teams CANT...Other then yesterday no one had rushed for more then 100 yards on them

A few years ago the Packers led the league in pass yards given up..and it wasnt cuz they were good, but cuz their running D sucked so bad people would rather run..
Honestly, i don't watch Viking games unless its US playing them.
So i guess i was wrong.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Vikings DTs are monsters. You can't run up the middle against MN. So instead, we ran everywhere else. Good playcalling by MM.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am starting to believe that McCarthy is an offensive genius. It seems that although he is running a zone blocking, pass first west coast offense he tweaks the offense weekly to attack the vulnerabilities of that given oppenent.

I noticed this too. He attacks their weaknesses and vulnerabilities. MM rocks!

Members online

Latest posts