Why the Packers don't want a Heisman winning QB ever

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is unbelievable.
And some anti-religious people still love to hate Tebow.

As bad as Tebow throws the football (I do throw better), he's still won more Bronco playoff games than Peyton Manning and all these other Heisman-winning QB's have combined, in their lifetimes!

Favre & Rodgers didn't win Heismans.
Whoever takes over from ARod, hopefully in about 10 years, better not be a Heisman winner LOL.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Cam Newton and Robert Griffin III will stay in the company of the others. They both have legitimate NFL skills that the others didn't possess or couldn't harness - the latter being the most important part. With better coaching and/or a different team I think that Cam could be even better. Robert Griffen III seems to be in good hands with Shanahan, knee injury and recovery period aside.

Good points overall about Heisman QBs. Maybe too many teams/coaches treat them as veterans when they enter the league instead of working hard to help them improve and make the transition to the NFL

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its important to note that most of these quarterbacks were drafted by some pretty awful teams. Bradford could probably be an effective QB with a better supporting caste on Offense. Palmer probably could have been an elite quarterback if he hadn't been stuck on some lousy Cincy teams. IMHO too many teams put too much stock in the position, IMHO it's better to build a team or at least build a competent offense before you try and get your franchise quarterback.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It's important to note that Eric Crouch came to the Packer as a QB and failed to make it into/through the great GB QB school. The Heisman is the kiss of death to QB's that want to play in the NFL. There are some idiots over on a Vikings forum talking up Johnny Manziel and how great they think he will be. God I sure hope my team does not go for that kid.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of those guys had games that just don't translate, but some of them were drafted high by horrible teams, forced out there behind crappy lines and never recovered. I said it at the time and I'll say it again, but three first round picks and a second rounder to move up and get RG3 is a bad decision, mostly for RG3. The guy gets no talent infusion for the first three years he's a QB and that's going to stunt his growth badly.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's important to note that Eric Crouch came to the Packer as a QB and failed to make it into/through the great GB QB school. The Heisman is the kiss of death to QB's that want to play in the NFL. There are some idiots over on a Vikings forum talking up Johnny Manziel and how great they think he will be. God I sure hope my team does not go for that kid.
Actually the Packers told Crouch he would have to play WR if he wanted to play at all. Crouch said no, QB or bust and he walked out of training camp. Never took one class in the vaunted Green Bay QB school.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Actually the Packers told Crouch he would have to play WR if he wanted to play at all. Crouch said no, QB or bust and he walked out of training camp. Never took one class in the vaunted Green Bay QB school.
His first of two stints in Green Bay he was brought in as a QB. The second time, after he walked out the first time, they wanted him to switch positions.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought that Flutie was a lot better than he was given credit for? He always seemed to be the backup for some taller guy who looked the part and when he'd get injured Flutie would come in and totally outplay him and then next year they'd drop him as if it were clear that he could never be the starter. Seriously, it was really weird to see over and over.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought that Flutie was a lot better than he was given credit for?
No. Most NFL fans loved Flutie and felt the same as you. It was the NFL teams that never gave him credit or much of a shot.

That said, he did suck in Chicago and San Diego, albeit an old man by the time he played for the Chargers.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK so this is a list of playoff losing Heisman winning QBs in the NFL.
What about winning?
Anyone even win the big one?
Or is T-Bag the only winner?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OK so this is a list of playoff losing Heisman winning QBs in the NFL.
What about winning?
Anyone even win the big one?
Or is T-Bag the only winner?
Gotta go back a long time to find a Heisman and SB winning QB. Jim Plunkett was the last and Roger Staubach was the first. There were no others.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta go back a long time to find a Heisman and SB winning QB. Jim Plunkett was the last and Roger Staubach was the first. There were no others.
Thank you!

If anyone can fill in the gaps of any more playoff wins, be my guest.
I think winners vs losers should be compared.
I'm curious to see what the majority would be.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we have Rodgers under contract until 2019. I figure he'll sign a contract for about 5 yrs.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts