Why the Packers can't be active in free agency

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point on the amount of $$$$ it's gonna take to re-sign Clay, Aaron, and Greg. Huge dollars and those are 3 we need to keep.
Perhaps Teddy Ballgame can start trying to extend some of them early, starting with Clay -or Aaron.
I wouldn't want to give a WR a contract at this moment after some idiot teams handed out those contracts to the Garcons and Josh Morgans we just saw......

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article ignores a key point: the Packers can shed much cap space by cutting some older players. Clifton and Driver come to mind. With Wells gone, they can find a center at a much lower cost They just might leave Jennings go. They have more than enough receiving talent that a contract he could get wouldn’t work. Woodson is also nearing the end.
I don’t buy that the Packers CAN’T be involved in FA. They can. But TT is wise enough to realize the crazy money paid(Mario Williams, and for that matter Matt Flynn) won’t get you that much closer to a Super Bowl, only tighter to the salary cap. He could get involved and acquire Koppen from New England, for example, then draft Zeitler to be the future center. Cost effective, and workable.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One other thing. No one knows what the cap will be in future years. Certainly it will go up. There is pressure already coming from teams.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article ignores a key point: the Packers can shed much cap space by cutting some older players. Clifton and Driver come to mind. With Wells gone, they can find a center at a much lower cost They just might leave Jennings go. They have more than enough receiving talent that a contract he could get wouldn’t work. Woodson is also nearing the end.
I don’t buy that the Packers CAN’T be involved in FA. They can. But TT is wise enough to realize the crazy money paid(Mario Williams, and for that matter Matt Flynn) won’t get you that much closer to a Super Bowl, only tighter to the salary cap. He could get involved and acquire Koppen from New England, for example, then draft Zeitler to be the future center. Cost effective, and workable.

Fair points. As for Clifton and DD, if (hopefully when) they cut them, the Pack will free up about $10M in cap space. And you are right in that the Packers can be involved in free agency. I fully expect they will be to a limited extent. But, they cannot be active in pursuing free agents. As TT typically does, he will let the market set the right price, and jump when the price adjusts to a fair value and one that won't cripple the Pack going forward, knowing full well that he has some important signings coming up. I think the latter part gets lost when free agency starts and is important to keep in mind when discussing the Packers chances of getting Wimbley for example.

I agree with you, too, that it would be good to grab a veteran center and draft a successor (although not rd. 1). Someone to keep an eye out for is that Samson Steele kid from Oak. He's young and anchored a top rushing unit these last few years. I have no clue about his pass-pro (obv.). And yes I know about his recent arrest. If anything, though, that could drive down his price for the Packers to get him on a bargain.

Members online

Latest posts