1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Why does it seem on a sack, Rodgers goes down way to easy?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by packer98, Sep 27, 2008.

1. packer98

packer98 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think he is told this not to get hurt?

2. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +517
    If you're caught you're caught and struggling further pointlessly is not only a good way to get injured but commit a turnover, too. Take the sack but keep possession of the ball. Don't turn a bad play into a disaster.
    But you also have to consider how good Rodgers is a running and avoiding defenders when he can do that. I don't think he goes down too easy; he's just playing intelligent football.

3. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Rodgers has done a good job thus far avoiding getting sacked. But when he's caught he's caught.

I don't think its realistic for him to try and escape at that point and risk an injury. Whether there's a solid backup or not.

4. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't seem that way to me at all.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,481
    it seems that way to people that are AR haters cuz they are looking for ANY excuse as to why he shouldn't be the q/b

6. Favreforever721

Favreforever721 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that is true. It seems to be the opposite to me. Aaron has avoided at least 2-3 sacks because he was squirming away when he was grabbed, or spinning and throwing a pass.

7. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8

8. bigaaron

bigaaron Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That very well could be.

9. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I would rather him go down, secure the ball, and not try to get too fancy. Rather than, run around blindly and fumble.

10. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    i've seen him go down without hesitation a couple of times, but i've also seen the exact opposite..break/avoid a tackle and get out of the pocket. i think his pocket awareness is still in the infant stage (normal for a QB with 3 starts). that would explain the anomaly in my opinion...

11. carlos

carlos Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As Bart Starr would say "Sometimes you just have yo eat the ball." Take the sack, avoid the turnover, less chance of injury, means smart football.

12. theodoric

theodoric Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Against the cowboys, i saw a couple of plays where rodgers spun away from tacklers and escaped.

13. sundown

sundown no cheese

Ratings:
    +1
    I think AR does a good job trying to get away from the passrush,he has quick feet but it is hard to scramble when there are 2 or 3 guys in the backfield such is to often the case,our O line has got to step up,remember as good as he is,he is a first year starter.

14. doughsellz

doughsellz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment. His awareness of the pocket isn't great yet. The speed of the game has caught him off guard several times & he lays down. Other times he's looked a lot like his predecessor though & been agile enough to avoid the rush & find enough space to make a play.

Maybe it seems like an equal amount of each to some but to me it's a little too much of the former. That can be evidenced by the amount of sacks thru 4 games in '08 as opposed to '07. Different teams played, different players on O-line & different circumstances notwithstanding, I think the 37-year old did a better job of avoiding sacks in '07 than Rodgers has thus far in '08.

That's a given with the experience level of Rodgers. Athleticism only gets one so far. Couple that with experience & Rodgers will be highly effective.

There's a lot of us who believe this scenario was not in the best interest of the '08 Green Bay Packers. The goal is to win a SB. Gambling that GB would be able to overcome the inexperience of a 1st-year starter at the most important position on a football team was pretentious at best.

Will the ends justify the means? Will Rodgers stay healthy enough to validate TT's methods? Will we look back on '08 as a lost opportunity? Am I wrong to pose these hypotheticals after just 4 games? Yes, yes, no, yes?

15. TheHawkIsHowling

TheHawkIsHowling Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I completely agree, I don't know what games the OP has been watching but imo A-Rodg has done a very good job of avoiding sacks so far this season.