Why do people say we need a Nickle CB so bad?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have Patrick Dendy and i thought he has played good he is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times betters then the loser Carrol we had. So why do we need a nickel CB?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion we could draft a corner every year, and high. So many of them don't pan out. I think a lot of balls were completed on Dendy, because they didn't want to throw at Harris and Woodson. I think we should not only draft a corner, but I think we should go get Clements in Free agency. If anything, we can move Woodson to FS and let Collins play strong.

Another reason is Al Harris. I don't know if he is happy or unhappy, but you can never have enough corners in this league.

Dendy had a pretty good year for being taken off the PS with no preparation time. I just don't ever see him in a starter role in GB.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Dendy will get plenty of chances to show his stuff this year in camp. The nickel back plays so often that he needs to be almost as good as a starter...so far IMO Dendy has not illustrated that amount of talent. But I'm sure he got valuable experience this past year.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dendy is not that good, for every good play he makes, he gets burned about three times...and the reason that he makes plays are because QB's are willing to test him that much...I wish we could've seen Blackmon (for CB and returns)...but I think we could draft a corner at the 16 spot, and ease him into a starting role,

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion we could draft a corner every year, and high. So many of them don't pan out. I think a lot of balls were completed on Dendy, because they didn't want to throw at Harris and Woodson. I think we should not only draft a corner, but I think we should go get Clements in Free agency. If anything, we can move Woodson to FS and let Collins play strong.

Another reason is Al Harris. I don't know if he is happy or unhappy, but you can never have enough corners in this league.

Dendy had a pretty good year for being taken off the PS with no preparation time. I just don't ever see him in a starter role in GB.

Clements? Is he that guy on buffalo?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have Patrick Dendy and i thought he has played good he is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times betters then the loser Carrol we had. So why do we need a nickel CB?

Dendy is okay. he is not solid.
Will he develop into a solid player? Remains to be seen.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My avatar tells you why we don't need to sign any more CBs, and we can release Al too, and maybe Chuck, and be ok.

Dendy will do it all!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed that Dendy is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than Carroll, but he's still a below-average CB. Would you feel good about him starting if Harris or Woodson were not available? It's not a guarantee that he'll improve next season, either. CB is a weird position because if a player loses his confidence, which can happen at any time with a young player, he can go into the crapper mighty fast. (That's not what happened with Carroll, by the way. He just didn't have the skills to play the position. If anything, he had too much confidence for his own good.)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
My avatar tells you why we don't need to sign any more CBs, and we can release Al too, and maybe Chuck, and be ok.

Dendy will do it all!

Meatwad has awful coverage skills.

Yoo Hoo, runnin' crew!

lmao, i forgot i changed it. D'oH! But meatwad > ahmad carroll

It's like the Thunderdome in here. Only... Two men enter, no man leaves. Starring Mel Gibson... and Master Blaster.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey if we're gonna be ahead of teams this season, like we intend to in a lot of games, teams are gonna have to throw on us, i want our DB's to be ready to go

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, there's no question that we need to draft a couple of CBs.

Harris and Woodson are great, but aging. We need to keep Harris happy and on the team. But it would be foolish to think these guys will be around forever. Now is the perfect time to be grooming their replacements.

Blackmon has talent, but must prove he can stay healthy. Dendy showed promise, but has a long ways to go. Bush wasn't good enough to get ahead of Dendy.

Drafting a couple of guys this year would add valuable depth along with pushing those on the roster. If our current backups turn out to be better, then great. But I still have the same opinion as Wolf, you can never have too many good DBs.

GO PACK GO!!!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in fairness to him Bush was a good special teams contributor, he was often the first man down field on kick coverage. I'd keep him around if possible for next season.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter who we keep and don't keep as long as some of you can keep reminding everyone here just how bad Carrrol was, isn't it remarkable how much better the whole secondary got as soon as the D-line started putting pressure on the opposing qb's.

Team game people!!!! It all starts with the D-line on defense and the O-line on offense, then you go from there.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter who we keep and don't keep as long as some of you can keep reminding everyone here just how bad Carrrol was, isn't it remarkable how much better the whole secondary got as soon as the D-line started putting pressure on the opposing qb's.

Team game people!!!! It all starts with the D-line on defense and the O-line on offense, then you go from there.

That's great, but I think both Sherman and TT have done a great job with our DL. We've got a good group of young DL that makes it a position of great depth.

Of course that being said, this thread is about CBs, not DL. As you said, this is a team game and the position of discussion is CB. No matter how good your DL, you still need a good secondary to have a great defense.

GO PACK GO!!!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

That's great, but I think both Sherman and TT have done a great job with our DL. We've got a good group of young DL that makes it a position of great depth.

Of course that being said, this thread is about CBs, not DL. As you said, this is a team game and the position of discussion is CB. No matter how good your DL, you still need a good secondary to have a great defense.

GO PACK GO!!!

Carrol sucked, plain and simple. When he was drafted, I thought it was a good pick. Three years later, he got cut and I think he deserved it. Stupid penalties like defensive holding, pass interference, and any of #28's variations on a personal foul having absolutely nothing to do with the DL.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In today's NFL you need a good nickel, and even dime CB. Over half of the plays that an offense runs has 3 WRs in the play, and you need to have that extra defensive back. We should use a first day pick on a CB.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we need a nickelback cus Dendy isn't fast enough to really play nickelback. He's a dimeback at best.

Agreed and he did get beat an awful lot. Teams gameplanned to get the ball to the WR in the slot and away from Woodson and Harris. They suceeded sometimes. Not to mention Dendy and Manuel did give up a big play against Chicago. So the mistakes obviously didn't go away.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dendy passed the coverage off to Manuel who then did his thing where he gets burned.

Dendy isn't perfect, and my man-love for him is half-kidding, he has been burned before, but not THAT play.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Bobby Roberts said:

GO PACK GO!!!

Carrol sucked, plain and simple. When he was drafted, I thought it was a good pick. Three years later, he got cut and I think he deserved it. Stupid penalties like defensive holding, pass interference, and any of #28's variations on a personal foul having absolutely nothing to do with the DL.

I am not defending Carroll here, I am just tired of his name being brought up again and again, He is no longer a Packer, that was my point, that and the fact that the Secondary benefitted from the D-line's better play.

My first sentence was sarcasm!!!! (It really doesn't matter who we keep and don't keep as long as some of you can keep reminding everyone here just how bad Carrrol was)Sorry if some of you didn't get that.

Al Harris should be given an extension.

Hopefully Woodson gets healthy and attends the off-season camps.

Manual needs to be pushed by someone, he did not earn his paycheck this year.

Dendy did make some big plays but also a lot of mistakes which should be expected from a guy who is young and still learning.

Same with Collins, He had the added advantage of starting all year and improved throughout the year.

There I hope that is better for some, I gave my opinion on the subject without ever mentioning any ex-Packer, or comparing our guys to any ex-Packer. It is real easy to do some of you might want to try it sometime.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris should be given an extension.

Hopefully Woodson gets healthy and attends the off-season camps.

Manual needs to be pushed by someone, he did not earn his paycheck this year.

Dendy did make some big plays but also a lot of mistakes which should be expected from a guy who is young and still learning.

Same with Collins, He had the added advantage of starting all year and improved throughout the year.

There I hope that is better for some, I gave my opinion on the subject without ever mentioning any ex-Packer, or comparing our guys to any ex-Packer. It is real easy to do some of you might want to try it sometime.

Completely agree with your opinion on the secondary, Buckeye. 100%

I think it's funny when people bring up Carrol. To me, it's harmless residual loathing of a player who did this to the Packers alot: :noflame:

Sorry if it annoys you, but the bad taste remains in alot of people's mouths, including mine. It just comes out sometimes....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts