Why did that team just collapse in the 2nd half?

L

Lunchboxer

Come out at halftime 21-3 and just give up?

WR cant get open,Defense cant make a stop of any kind only few here and there. Why dident MM adjust the gameplan when things started to head south?

Also WHERE THE **** WAS THE NO HUDDLE?!?! Hardly run that anymore.

To sum it all up
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My theory:

We were on the way to blowing them out, but Coach McCarthy didn't want to humiliate the Colts on "Chuckstrong" day.

So he took the foot off the pedal.

I think the Colts were destined to comeback to win, so that it could become the story of the week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/10/08/week-5/index.html

And yes, the Colts beating Aaron Rodgers and the mighty packers with the coach in the hospital is a great story.

The Packers stood no chance against destiny.

This reminds me of the last time the Colts and Packers met, in 2008. Just like this year, you had one of the top QBs in the leauge getting outplayed by a first-year starting QB.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are playing like they think the other team is going to lay down for them. They better wake up pretty quickly, or the season is a bust. Neither the offensive nor the defensive lines can control the line of scrimmage. Pretty hard to win if that's the case. The game is still pretty much blocking and tackling.

Wills29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree that we felt we were blowing them out. Although MM shows he is classy, I don't think he is going to lose a game intentionally just so it can become a 'feel good' story for the Colts. When we came out to start the 2nd half with 4 straight throws and the INT the momentum shifted. The Colts no longer respected the run and they were going after Rodgers and like he has all year, he doesn't respond.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's simple guys. Benson, Raji, Finley all injured and no Jennings. This is turning into a disaster but reminds of the packers two years ago when we won the SUPER BOWL. I am not giving up on them. We beat bears and if we can beat division teams were in playoffs hosting a playoff game. Thats all you can hope for. All this undefeated and 15-1 talk is ridiculous and where did it get us? Win division games and make PLAYOFFS and make a run! Thats all that matters. Were 2-3 so lets not hit the panic button just yet.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My theory:

We were on the way to blowing them out, but Coach McCarthy didn't want to humiliate the Colts on "Chuckstrong" day.

So he took the foot off the pedal.

I think the Colts were destined to comeback to win, so that it could become the story of the week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/10/08/week-5/index.html

And yes, the Colts beating Aaron Rodgers and the mighty packers with the coach in the hospital is a great story.

The Packers stood no chance against destiny.

This reminds me of the last time the Colts and Packers met, in 2008. Just like this year, you had one of the top QBs in the leauge getting outplayed by a first-year starting QB.
I go along with that theory.

It reminds me of the recent PO game against the Giants when coach Philbin's son died that week and some of the Packers went to the funeral.
Tragic stuff has a way of getting to these guys.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's simple guys. Benson, Raji, Finley all injured and no Jennings. This is turning into a disaster but reminds of the packers two years ago when we won the SUPER BOWL. I am not giving up on them. We beat bears and if we can beat division teams were in playoffs hosting a playoff game. Thats all you can hope for. All this undefeated and 15-1 talk is ridiculous and where did it get us? Win division games and make PLAYOFFS and make a run! Thats all that matters. Were 2-3 so lets not hit the panic button just yet.

it certainly has shades of the 2010 season so far...this game was kind of like the redskins game of that year. to own the game, then blow it and have signifigant injuries along the way.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well what makes me sick is that so far this year is we have been the cover boy's for everyone else's season. Seahawks and now Colts. We will get ours. Hang in there Pack fans. It's What makes the PACK great! I'd rather get blessings in November and December then September and October.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As sad as this sounds, the injury to Cedric Benson hurt the team. Even though 75% of posters on this forum think that "a team doesn't need a running game to win the Super Bowl", you're wrong. Leading by 18 at halftime, the Packers were unable to manage the clock. The pass game wasn't working. Going 3-and-out while taking 35 seconds off the clock is never going to work. The Packers should spend their first round pick next year on a running back. Get a guy who can hit a hole and get some yards after first contact.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I really don't believe that. Benson was averaging how much a carry? Give Green the ball then. Benson will probably fumble a playoff game anyway. his numbers aren't that great! So throw Green in.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't believe that. Benson was averaging how much a carry? Give Green the ball then. Benson will probably fumble a playoff game anyway. his numbers aren't that great! So throw Green in.

Benson has been averaging 3.5 yards a carry this year. He's been very solid for the team. Green looks good, but is less than a year removed from an ACL tear. I would like to see more of Green, but nobody knows if he is ready for 20 carries a game (actually the Packers probably know because that would explain Benson being signed and Green not getting 20 carries a game).

Regardless of the yards per carry Benson averaged on his seven carries on Sunday, it is the threat of a run game that keeps defenses honest. When you move Benson and start passing on every down, the defensive line can pin their ears back and rush the passer while the secondary locks on to receivers. The lack of a run game also renders play action useless.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it certainly has shades of the 2010 season so far...this game was kind of like the redskins game of that year. to own the game, then blow it and have signifigant injuries along the way.

You know I was thinking the same thing today. But that loss to the Skins still didn't give them a wakeup call. They lost to Miami the following week.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We were playing the Colts with a rookie QB at the helm!!! I just hate the excuse we lost players and that is the reason we lost the game. The Colts had a rag tag secondary and they were starting guys on the OL that were # 3 and 4 on their depth chart.

The Colts played with passion and we didn't.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm going with the grassy knoll theory and suspect the NFL threw this game for a feel-good story.
But if I may suggest: think of it this way - it was considered a major upset. That stuff happens. Is everybody so down on the Packers that they can't conceive of an upset against Houston?
I mean, either you are or you're not elite. I for one think they beat Houston.
I feel bad for any fan who is going into that game expecting defeat. See ya on the other side of victory. It's not often the Packers are underdogs but that makes it all the sweeter.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devil Don, Houston will definitely be a gut check game for them. Houston plays a physical game like SF.

Just a comment about bad fans. Yesterday I was on the game chat and people were actually pleased Finley got hurt. First, I never root for anyone to get hurt including our opponents. But being happy about one of our own going down is just sick.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about Benson going out, and i agree that it is a big lose, with him the running game is respectable and defenses must account for the possibility of a solid run play on almost every down. I also think Finley coming out had some negative effects but not that much.

My question is, why has no one mentioned Raji. His injury was HUGE in my mind. The D looked good before he went out, very good even. As soon as he left there was no pressure and as good as the secondary was playing it was nothing compared to the poor performance of the D line. I have said it before and I'll say it again, I think Raji is the biggest key to our D. As he goes so does our D. We need him healthy and ready if we expect our D to look like it has at points this year, without him it goes back to what it was all of last year.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn't want grind it out with Alex Green for 20 carries.

Which is stupid. I'm calling Mike McCarthy out on this one. AP had basically the same injury(Actually AP had it a little worse) and he came back in half the time. Green was ready, as evidented by his 41 yard scamper with 2 really nice cuts where his ACL looked just fine.

Ok, maybe they see something in Green that hasn't fully healed yet. Whatever. Why not give the ball to Saine in that case? He's perfectly capable of getting 3 or 4 yards and taking the defense off their heels. The Colts consistently played 2 deep safeties with (admittedly) tight coverage underneath. Yet, still McCarthy felt the need to pass.

That Colts pass rush we held off so good in the 1st half and so poorly in the 2nd half? Yeah that was the Colts pinning their pass rushers ears back and not worrying about the run. We averaged 2.1 yards per carry better on the ground then the Colts but 7 fewer rushing attempts- for a team with a huge lead, that doesn't make any sense.

In the past McCarthy blamed himself for not staying balanced enough in the run/pass ratio. But I defended him saying, well we didn't really have much of a run game anyway so it was pointless. This year it's different. We've got good backs. Just a coach that's strung on throwing it like it's 2011.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were playing the Colts with a rookie QB at the helm!!! I just hate the excuse we lost players and that is the reason we lost the game. The Colts had a rag tag secondary and they were starting guys on the OL that were # 3 and 4 on their depth chart.

Let's not forget the 21-3 lead at halftime. No team should get dominated in such fashion in a second half and lose an 18 point lead.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about Benson going out, and i agree that it is a big lose, with him the running game is respectable and defenses must account for the possibility of a solid run play on almost every down. I also think Finley coming out had some negative effects but not that much.

My question is, why has no one mentioned Raji. His injury was HUGE in my mind. The D looked good before he went out, very good even. As soon as he left there was no pressure and as good as the secondary was playing it was nothing compared to the poor performance of the D line. I have said it before and I'll say it again, I think Raji is the biggest key to our D. As he goes so does our D. We need him healthy and ready if we expect our D to look like it has at points this year, without him it goes back to what it was all of last year.

Nobody is bringing up Raji because the Packers had a 21-3 lead. All you need to do is grind the clock and kick field goals at that point. You have a 3 score lead against a rookie quarterback. There is no excuse for a losing a game like that.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you claim you don't have a good running game when you refuse to run the ball like McCarthy does.
20 carries between 3 running backs isn't enough.

up 21-3 at the half, there is absolutely no excuse for losing this game. McCarthy can call a smart game, we have seen it but I just don't understand why he hates running the ball. When your QB is getting sacked start running the ball, didn't he learn his lesson from the Seattle game?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

are u serious? They were playing for someone that they believed in that is dying? Oh and let's not forget about Woodson's diminishing skills to give up over 200 yards to Wayne. This loss is an embarrassment. I agree. But what we need to focus on is the fact we are 1-0 in division. All you fare weather fans can get off the buss now. It's simple math. Win division games and go to playoffs and make a run. Maybe a a home game at Lambeau in playoffs. Quite crying. Lombardi never did! Mc Carthy is a good coach and be patient. Relax and have a beer and don't over-react! Were gonna be just fine and Benson is a injury prone fumbler. We have a great team and we have Aaron Rodgers. Best quarterback in the game. I look at the positives. Cobb looks good and I believe Jones will return to form, anything from Driver is a bonus and we really need a healthy Greg Jennings. I love the way our rookie defensive guys have stepped up. It's week 5 so get off the buss now if your not really a PACK fan. Were gonna be just fine!

Members online

Latest posts