Why can't NFL coaches manage the clock?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is so rare that you don't see a team, that is in need of time on the clock, not burn a timeout to save precious time before the 2 minute warning, that it really jumps out at me when it happened like it did in Pittsburgh.

There are some intricacies to this too and some fine lines, because you also don't want to use a timeout with around 2:05 give or take a couple seconds, because that opens it up for the opposing offense to pass the ball, knowing that the 2 minute warning will hit after the play regardless of what they do.

On the same token you also never want to call your last one around 2:45 on an early down. This is another peeve of mine. If you do, the 40 second clock after the next play likely won't start until 2:40 or later, letting the opposing team wind it all the way down to 2:00. Save it, let it wind there and you can force them to snap it again one more time before the 2:00 warning.

Are coaches attending off-season classes on these things?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
There are some intricacies to this too and some fine lines, because you also don't want to use a timeout with around 2:05 give or take a couple seconds, because that opens it up for the opposing offense to pass the ball, knowing that the 2 minute warning will hit after the play regardless of what they do.

On the same token you also never want to call your last one around 2:45 on an early down. This is another peeve of mine. If you do, the 40 second clock after the next play likely won't start until 2:40 or later, letting the opposing team wind it all the way down to 2:00. Save it, let it wind there and you can force them to snap it again one more time before the 2:00 warning.

Are coaches attending off-season classes on these things?
Also lose any challenges you may have left after you burn your time outs.

Latest posts