Why can't NFL coaches manage the clock?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was having a discussion on this on a different board about the clock infractions that NFL coaches seem to be guilty of. Here were two specifically discussed:

- Early timeouts. Especially in the 2nd half. On a key 4th down play when you don't like what you see, sure, but on 1st and 10 with the playclock running down, is it really worth burning that timeout to save 5 yards? My guess would be, not usually.

- Mismanaging late timeouts on defense. The one that blows my mind the most, is coaches who inexplicably wait until AFTER the 2:00 warning to use their timeouts on D instead of using them immediately. This accomplishes absolutely nothing other than burning precious seconds off the clock.

Case in point, the Steelers/Jaguars the other day. Jags went up 10 with a FG at 1:45 left in the game. But there didn't need to be 1:45 left for the Steelers, they had the option to make it 1:55 and just flat out chose not to. Let me explain...

The failed Boswell onside kick came at 2:18. 1st down was a 1 yard rush, and Tomlin foolishly chose to let the clock run down to 2:00 rather than burn even 1 of his 2 immediate timeouts. So the 2nd down snap came at 2:00, the play took 4 seconds upon which the second timeout was used at 1:56, and the 3rd after 3rd down at 1:50, which left 1:45 after the FG.

Had Tomlin used timeouts immediately after 1st and 2nd down, the clock would have wound to 2:00 after 3rd, and 1:55 would have remained after the FG.

This turned out to be crucial as the Steelers scored to make it 45-42 with only 1 second left. With 11 seconds left, it's still unlikely the Steelers could have recovered an onside kick, then ran a play out of bounds in FG range or gotten a TD, but as we saw in the Saints/Vikings game, at least there's a chance. Tomlin willingly gave up that slim chance with poor clock management.

It amazes me that the smartest guys in football cannot figure out small time management strategies that the average Madden gamer knows well, or that they don't have people to figure these things out for them if they can't do it themselves.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the pressure of the situation and calling/managing plays interferes in this.

We should get a Time Management Coaching Assistant, who can pitch in with crucial time management advice to head coach.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people aren't perfect, no matter how many times they get it right, they'll still get it wrong too. outside of scoring more points than your opponent being necessary to win, I don't think there are too many hard and fast rules in the NFL that apply to all situations.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Poor clock management is a hot button for me. You see it way too often for it to be viewed as just an occasional "oops". With technology and all the staff that teams have working the game, you would think they would have one guy in charge of knowing when timeouts should and shouldn't be called and then let him have a direct line to the HC.

AR and other QB's are guilty of having to burn needless timeouts when the play clock gets dangerously low. As the OP pointed out, take the damn penalty (unless its a critical down and distance) and save the timeout. Too often at the end of the half or the game, teams find themselves out of TO's or just out of time, due to poor management of both.

There is also no excuse for a player not knowing when he should or shouldn't get out of bounds, catch a pass/interception or let it drop.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Was having a discussion on this on a different board about the clock infractions that NFL coaches seem to be guilty of. Here were two specifically discussed:

- Early timeouts. Especially in the 2nd half. On a key 4th down play when you don't like what you see, sure, but on 1st and 10 with the playclock running down, is it really worth burning that timeout to save 5 yards? My guess would be, not usually.

- Mismanaging late timeouts on defense. The one that blows my mind the most, is coaches who inexplicably wait until AFTER the 2:00 warning to use their timeouts on D instead of using them immediately. This accomplishes absolutely nothing other than burning precious seconds off the clock.

Case in point, the Steelers/Jaguars the other day. Jags went up 10 with a FG at 1:45 left in the game. But there didn't need to be 1:45 left for the Steelers, they had the option to make it 1:55 and just flat out chose not to. Let me explain...

The failed Boswell onside kick came at 2:18. 1st down was a 1 yard rush, and Tomlin foolishly chose to let the clock run down to 2:00 rather than burn even 1 of his 2 immediate timeouts. So the 2nd down snap came at 2:00, the play took 4 seconds upon which the second timeout was used at 1:56, and the 3rd after 3rd down at 1:50, which left 1:45 after the FG.

Had Tomlin used timeouts immediately after 1st and 2nd down, the clock would have wound to 2:00 after 3rd, and 1:55 would have remained after the FG.

This turned out to be crucial as the Steelers scored to make it 45-42 with only 1 second left. With 11 seconds left, it's still unlikely the Steelers could have recovered an onside kick, then ran a play out of bounds in FG range or gotten a TD, but as we saw in the Saints/Vikings game, at least there's a chance. Tomlin willingly gave up that slim chance with poor clock management.

It amazes me that the smartest guys in football cannot figure out small time management strategies that the average Madden gamer knows well, or that they don't have people to figure these things out for them if they can't do it themselves.
This, in essence, is why the Patriots are so lethal. They are so ahead of the curve from all other NFL teams. Belichick is the best situational coach that the game has ever seen. There isn't a single scenario that he doesn't prepare his team for. Situational football is so overlooked and undervalued. It's absolutely the difference in just about every one possession game, which many NFL games are.

You would never see a Belichick defender make the mistake that Marcus Williams made. Never.

Belichick probably sits at home during the offseason and spends hours contemplating every scenario imaginable, which to your point lets use timeouts for an example. He takes into consideration where the 2 minute warning is v.s. the # of timeouts, what type of team he is playing. Which teams, in which situations, will throw the ball on 3rd and long? On 3rd and short?

I think the biggest mistake that Tomlin made was not kicking the ball off with 2:18 left. I understand his logic: his team hadn't forced a 3 and out all day. But did he really think that he would put the game in the hands of Blake Bortles? The Jags were going to run the football three straight times and take their chances. With that being the case, he has to trust that his defense can sell out to the run, and prevent them from getting 10 yards on 3 plays. Not to mention, one first down wouldn't necessarily end the game since you have the 2 timeouts and the 2 minute warning. His defense could have potentially given the Steelers the ball back even if the Jags were to pick up one first down.

Reaction score
True that. I guess we all do make mistakes, I was thinking the Steelers could onside and return it for a TD for the win with 1 sec. I was hollering at the kicker because he booted it deep! lol Of course realizing moments later you can't advance an onside kick (thank you Google)
Anyway, As noted above the clock can be your friend big time. Another scenario I see teams don't take advantage of is starting inside 5 minutes. If you are the team that is losing and it's inside 5 minutes the chalk is actually the equivalent of a "free timeout". I've watched multiple players try to get one extra yard only to churn 40 seconds off the clock! The QB has to be aware of the 5 minute rule and call it in the huddle, that obviously doesn't always happen. If there is 55 seconds on the gameclock? that's essentially enough time to run potentially 8 plays, if you're on the opposite 25 yard line and needing 75 yards, trying to get an extra 2 yards at the expense of having to burn a TO doesn't make sense, especially if you've already solidified a new set of downs.
I'm also very surprised there isn't an expert probability coach that works in tandem with the play caller rather than just winging it

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This, in essence, is why the Patriots are so lethal. They are so ahead of the curve from all other NFL teams. Belichick is the best situational coach that the game has ever seen. There isn't a single scenario that he doesn't prepare his team for. Situational football is so overlooked and undervalued. It's absolutely the difference in just about every one possession game, which many NFL games are.

You would never see a Belichick defender make the mistake that Marcus Williams made. Never.

Belichick probably sits at home during the offseason and spends hours contemplating every scenario imaginable, which to your point lets use timeouts for an example. He takes into consideration where the 2 minute warning is v.s. the # of timeouts, what type of team he is playing. Which teams, in which situations, will throw the ball on 3rd and long? On 3rd and short?

I think the biggest mistake that Tomlin made was not kicking the ball off with 2:18 left. I understand his logic: his team hadn't forced a 3 and out all day. But did he really think that he would put the game in the hands of Blake Bortles? The Jags were going to run the football three straight times and take their chances. With that being the case, he has to trust that his defense can sell out to the run, and prevent them from getting 10 yards on 3 plays. Not to mention, one first down wouldn't necessarily end the game since you have the 2 timeouts and the 2 minute warning. His defense could have potentially given the Steelers the ball back even if the Jags were to pick up one first down.

One thing he could have done that would have been a pretty good happy medium is to try the type of pooch onside kick where you're looking to find an empty spot 25-30 yards or so downfield and hoping to sprint there and come up with it in the mad scramble.

It doesn't work often, but neither does an onside kick in general. At least if you fail on that, Jacksonville isn't in FG range. I don't know why more teams don't do this in situations that are close calls between onside kicks and deep kicks because it's defensible either way -- you tried to get the ball back, but you didn't give up huge field position if you fail.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people aren't perfect, no matter how many times they get it right, they'll still get it wrong too. outside of scoring more points than your opponent being necessary to win, I don't think there are too many hard and fast rules in the NFL that apply to all situations.

I don't expect coaches to be perfect, I realize they make mistakes from time to time.

But that's entirely different than actually somehow not knowing that waiting until inside of 2:00 to use your timeouts on defense does absolutely nothing but waste a few seconds, and repeating that mistake over and over as many coaches do.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaches in the NFL coach not to lose, they rarely coach to win. They constantly make choices designed to cover their butts in case they lose. Doing something different, like using TOs on defense before the 2 minute warning, makes a ton of sense but then the team might lose anyway and the coach might get criticized for doing something differently. No, it doesn't make sense that they coach that way until you consider that most coaches are just trying to maximize their job stability. It's why coaches will kick a meaningless FG in the fourth quarter when down 28 points; losing 28-3 just feels better than losing 28-0.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the pressure of the situation and calling/managing plays interferes in this.

We should get a Time Management Coaching Assistant, who can pitch in with crucial time management advice to head coach.

Does anyone know what the responsibilities of the quality control coaches are? I feel like this should be one of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the responsibilities of the quality control coaches are? I feel like this should be one of them.

A QCC primary job is preparing the team for a game, beginning sometimes two or three weeks before the actual game. Their primary duties include preparing for the game by analyzing game film for statistical analysis. It's considered by some teams as an entry level job.

I say hire a retired referee or someone with deep knowledge of the rules and time management strategies of the game.

For $50K and press box seats for 16 games, I will fill out an application. :coffee:

Reaction score
A QCC primary job is preparing the team for a game, beginning sometimes two or three weeks before the actual game. Their primary duties include preparing for the game by analyzing game film for statistical analysis. It's considered by some teams as an entry level job.

I say hire a retired referee or someone with deep knowledge of the rules and time management strategies of the game.

For $50K and press box seats for 16 games, I will fill out an application. :coffee:
$50K! that's cheap! you're hired!
In all seriousness it sounds like a fun job. I've wondered about the referee idea before, it would be very smart to have a FT former referee to skip from one position group to another. Or maybe they already do this?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
$50K! that's cheap! you're hired!
In all seriousness it sounds like a fun job. I've wondered about the referee idea before, it would be very smart to have a FT former referee to skip from one position group to another. Or maybe they already do this?

Did I mention travel expenses and chaperoning Danica Patrick while Aaron is busy with football things? :coffee:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure AR gets worn out and too tired to fill all of his "BF duties" with Danica, so I would be willing to take one for the team. :whistling:
She'd run you over. Literally.

This is one chase you won't win.

Catch her if you can.

I can do this forever....:sneaky:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
She'd run you over. Literally.

This is one chase you won't win.

Catch her if you can.

I can do this forever....:sneaky:

When she sees these, she will know where and when to stop!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When she sees these, she will know where and when to stop!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

:D

She'd'd stop and reverse the hell out of it.

She knows she's a gear short.

She'd suspect a broken drive shaft.

She'd know she'd not get enough thrust.

She'd know the engine would blow sooner than she'd like.

As I said, and could go on.... :sneaky:

Reaction score
:D

She'd'd stop and reverse the hell out of it.

She knows she's a gear short.

She'd suspect a broken drive shaft.

She'd know she'd not get enough thrust.

She'd know the engine would blow sooner than she'd like.

As I said, and could go on.... :sneaky:
yeah, and don't even get started on oil lube and filter

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing how every beer bellied failed high school athlete armchair quarterback can figure these things out no problem but professionals that have been around the game almost their entire lives brainlock on fundamentals, at least more than they should.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's amazing how every beer bellied failed high school athlete armchair quarterback can figure these things out no problem but professionals that have been around the game almost their entire lives brainlock on fundamentals, at least more than they should.

Well there is your answer! Sideline recliners with plenty of cold beer for the coaches to swill! :coffee:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the bigger mistake was not kicking the field goal as soon as they were in range. At least giving themselves a chance at a onside recovery and a second score to end the game. Instead they went all in for the td. Which might look good for the final score, woulda couldas, stats and highlight reel. But leaves literally zero chance of winning.
You were right on the 10 seconds ,but I think the logic was that one down is stopped by the 2 min warning, and the other by the remaining two time outs... your situation would have definitely saved some time. Easy mistake to make in the heat of the battle. But a mistake none the less.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It is so rare that you don't see a team, that is in need of time on the clock, not burn a timeout to save precious time before the 2 minute warning, that it really jumps out at me when it happened like it did in Pittsburgh.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts