Why are you a Packer fan?

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raptorman....you my friend are an anomaly. Being that you still support the Pack, albeit it part-time, I can still have respect for you.

:viksux:

NotSoSpecialTeams

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coming from Malaysia, the NFL doesn't get a whole lot of coverage. Back in the day, there used to be 30-minute highlight shows of the weekly games. The main reason I'm packer fan is (gulp) Brett Favre. Watching him and some of the spots they did on him, to go along with the standout green and gold uniforms, are probably why I became a Pack fan. Also used to be a little bit of a Chiefs fan in the Green, Gonzalez, Holmes days but as the years rolled by and I got to know more about football and the tradition in Green Bay, I became more and more of a pack fan than just a Brett fan.

As it stands now, I have no doubt that I'm a fan of the right football team. It's gonna be great to see how the legend of guys like of A-Rod and Matthews grows for years to come.

GO PACK!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coming from Malaysia, the NFL doesn't get a whole lot of coverage. Back in the day, there used to be 30-minute highlight shows of the weekly games. The main reason I'm packer fan is (gulp) Brett Favre. Watching him and some of the spots they did on him, to go along with the standout green and gold uniforms, are probably why I became a Pack fan. Also used to be a little bit of a Chiefs fan in the Green, Gonzalez, Holmes days but as the years rolled by and I got to know more about football and the tradition in Green Bay, I became more and more of a pack fan than just a Brett fan.

As it stands now, I have no doubt that I'm a fan of the right football team. It's gonna be great to see how the legend of guys like of A-Rod and Matthews grows for years to come.

GO PACK!

Do you think American Football could ever catch on in Asia?

GBpackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just looked it up. There is an American Football league in Asia called Asian Pacific Football League that started in 1999. US is one of the countries involved, Hawaii to be exact. I'm about to look on youtube for some videos of it.

Do you know why NFL Europe shutdown?

NotSoSpecialTeams

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It would be difficult because the region is so dominated by soccer. Basketball is very popular and baseball's been catching on in recent years. Asia is an extremely difficult market for the NFL to break into, but who knows? Maybe they agree to a TV deal that gets the NFL more coverage and things could change but there would need to be a very serious push and commitment by the NFL if it were to ever work.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be difficult because the region is so dominated by soccer. Basketball is very popular and baseball's been catching on in recent years. Asia is an extremely difficult market for the NFL to break into, but who knows? Maybe they agree to a TV deal that gets the NFL more coverage and things could change but there would need to be a very serious push and commitment by the NFL if it were to ever work.

Japan actually has a football league of its own. It's not very popular since baseball is the national sport, however there is a big audience that enjoys football.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Japan actually has a football league of its own. It's not very popular since baseball is the national sport, however there is a big audience that enjoys football.
hmn... heard it somewhere that soccer had actually took over for baseball... But it may be for just the time the World Cup was played in there, though...

NotSoSpecialTeams

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Asia as a whole is still a very difficult market to break. A lot of it probably has to do with the complexity of football compared to sports like basketball and baseball which are maybe a little bit easier to understand. The NFL does get some coverage, just not at the level as some of the other American sports.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was young my dad bought me a #91 Green Bay Packer jersey. It was from the 80's so I'm not sure what player it was supposed to be but at the time Brian Noble was wearing #91 (early 90's). My dad didn't buy it cause he was a fan or anything he was just at shop and figured - what the hell. So as I came to understand football I started to cheer for the Packers.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Im amazed at the popularity of the NBA over there. I think the NFL could market it right, but they seem to focus on playing games in different countries, not the broadcasting of the games.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My mom was born and raised in Barron but moved to MN after high school. My dad was born and raised in St. Paul MN. So I grew up with a die-hard Packer fan and one of the few die-hard Vikings fans as parents. When I was little (like toddler age into early school years) I had stuff from both teams. Yet as I got older I noticed a big difference between the teams and the fans of the teams themselves. No matter what the record, the Packer fans were always cheering em on, shirtless in December in Lambeau. Yet the Vikes fans would gripe and not go to the games, many were even blacked out and I grew up in the Twin Cities metro area. So that spoke a lot about the differences between the two teams. But the clincher was when I was 9 years old, my grandma found a bunch of old 8mm tapes that were in storage. And half of those tapes were taken of Packer games from the 50's and 60's. I spent 3 straight days the summer she found them watching each and everyone. It was the first time I had ever heard of the Ice Bowl, Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Herb Adderly, etc, other than some anecdote by the color guy during a modern game. I was blown away. From that summer on I was completely and totally a Packers fan. And man did it **** my dad off. LoL

:viksux:

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I followed the nfl since I was a little child, my dad always watched the super bowl and so did I. Then I started watching more and more games and when I was about 19, my former girlfriend made an exchange year in WI. I visited her and we went to the stadium, the museum, the hall of fame. So it all started and now I have to watch every packer game, even thought it's always about 10pm to 5am here in Switzerland. The love to the Packers lasted until now unlike the love to this girl :happy0005:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I just looked it up. There is an American Football league in Asia called Asian Pacific Football League that started in 1999. US is one of the countries involved, Hawaii to be exact. I'm about to look on youtube for some videos of it.

Do you know why NFL Europe shutdown?
In a word or two, Cost. Money. I don't think the NFL was getting enough back for what they put into it.

Mel-MinAlum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My parents...both from Chicago, moved to Wisconsin in the '66, and were die hard Packer fans. My mom's most prized possession was her autographed Fuzzy Thurston picture that she got in person when he was in the LaCrosse area in the early 70s. She never missed a chance to show it to whoever stopped by the house. Then when they had the stock sale in 97, my dad was lucky enough to get a share. Packer games were like holidays in our house growing up, and it's hard to explain the atmosphere to a non-fan, but I'm sure most people reading this get it. I can still hear Mom screaming at the TV, RUN you son-of-a- b!$&h! RUN!, whenever a Packer broke into the open field. And as big of a fan as Dad was, he had never been to a game, but for some reason he decided it was time, and took my brother to the Chargers game for his birthday. I could tell just talking to him on the phone afterward that it moved him more than anything I could remember. He passed away the Monday after we beat the Niners to get back to the SB that season, and he was buried in a NFC Champion blue button up shirt. Mom lost her battle with cancer in '05, and was laid to rest next to Dad with the same "G" on her headstone that is on his (and will some day be on mine). So now my two most prized possessions (after my kids), are that that photo, and the stock certificate. I've toyed with the idea of having my name put on the stock, but every time I look at it and see Dad's name there, I just can't bring myself to do it. I know other teams have die hard fans, but they are only fans.......we Packer Backers are family.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My parents...both from Chicago, moved to Wisconsin in the '66, and were die hard Packer fans. My mom's most prized possession was her autographed Fuzzy Thurston picture that she got in person when he was in the LaCrosse area in the early 70s. She never missed a chance to show it to whoever stopped by the house. Then when they had the stock sale in 97, my dad was lucky enough to get a share. Packer games were like holidays in our house growing up, and it's hard to explain the atmosphere to a non-fan, but I'm sure most people reading this get it. I can still hear Mom screaming at the TV, RUN you son-of-a- b!$&h! RUN!, whenever a Packer broke into the open field. And as big of a fan as Dad was, he had never been to a game, but for some reason he decided it was time, and took my brother to the Chargers game for his birthday. I could tell just talking to him on the phone afterward that it moved him more than anything I could remember. He passed away the Monday after we beat the Niners to get back to the SB that season, and he was buried in a NFC Champion blue button up shirt. Mom lost her battle with cancer in '05, and was laid to rest next to Dad with the same "G" on her headstone that is on his (and will some day be on mine). So now my two most prized possessions (after my kids), are that that photo, and the stock certificate. I've toyed with the idea of having my name put on the stock, but every time I look at it and see Dad's name there, I just can't bring myself to do it. I know other teams have die hard fans, but they are only fans.......we Packer Backers are family.

thats is what being a packer fan is all about. i can say you sound like a die heart fan. we could use more like you

Members online

Latest posts