Who's On The Fence?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Potentially we are looking at very possibly a 3rd (Thornton), 4th (Bradford), 5th (Abbrederis), and 6th (Goodson) all from the same draft class not even surviving to see a 2nd year in the system. That's really disappointing.

Obviously Linsley is a gem, but percentage-wise we need to do better than this.

Your also looking at Adams turning heads and R. Rodgers as a starter.

If your looking at doing better then 3 starters in a single draft good luck

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And HHCD was first round. Yeah hard to say last year's draft was anything but a success. Then again, with Perry and maybe Jones playing well under draft position expectations (and I'm being charitable), the drafts have to be considered in total. I'm certainly happy overall with what TT has produced in his 10 years.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2006 - Hawk, Colledge, Jennings, Spitz, and Jolly were all starters at one point

2009 - Raji, Matthews, Lang, B. Jones

2010 - Bulaga, Neal, Burnett, Quarless...I'm not even counting Newhouse or Starks

2013 - Jones, Lacy, Bahktiari, Hyde, Barrington.

Obviously your presumption that you'll never get more than 3 starters from a draft is false.

I'm high on Adams and R. Rodgers, but neither them nor HHCD really did anything above and beyond what was really expected from them their rookies years. R. Rodgers is the starter this year by default, not because he was a diamond in the rough.

By the way, who said 2014 was a bad draft? I think you need several years to evaluate a draft class. I simply stated that we are likely to lose a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th round pick from a single draft class before they even enter a 2nd season, which is rare and somewhat disappointing, and that we'd like to obviously like to have less misses than that. That's hardly a controversial statement. I never said anything about the rest of the draft class or TTs performance as a whole.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2006 - Hawk, Colledge, Jennings, Spitz, and Jolly were all starters at one point

2009 - Raji, Matthews, Lang, B. Jones

2010 - Bulaga, Neal, Burnett, Quarless...I'm not even counting Newhouse or Starks

2013 - Jones, Lacy, Bahktiari, Hyde, Barrington.

Obviously your presumption that you'll never get more than 3 starters from a draft is false.

I'm high on Adams and R. Rodgers, but neither them nor HHCD really did anything above and beyond what was really expected from them their rookies years. R. Rodgers is the starter this year by default, not because he was a diamond in the rough.

By the way, who said 2014 was a bad draft? I think you need several years to evaluate a draft class. I simply stated that we are likely to lose a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th round pick from a single draft class before they even enter a 2nd season, which is rare and somewhat disappointing, and that we'd like to obviously like to have less misses than that. That's hardly a controversial statement. I never said anything about the rest of the draft class or TTs performance as a whole.

I don't know, I think 4 out of 8 being starters (I would consider the #3 WR a starter in this offense because he is on the field as much as a second RB) in their second year is pretty damned good.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, I think 4 out of 8 being starters (I would consider the #3 WR a starter in this offense because he is on the field as much as a second RB) in their second year is pretty damned good.

If you look at Thompson’s draft history, it's often par for the course for us to have 3 rookie starters every year. It's very much a necessity for a team that is strictly draft and develop. We won't have as many this year because we returned many of our starters from last, but this still could turn out to be a fantastic draft.

'Starters' aren't really a good way to grade a draft IMO. AJ Hawk and Brad Jones were starters. Sometimes mediocre players are forced into starting roles because of a lack of depth or injuries. Frank Zombo, Erik Walden, Jarrett Boykin, Allen Barbre, and Marshall Newhouse all come to mind. Other times, solid players will be kept out of a 'starting ' role because of a good deal of depth or just a different type of role. Adams and Micah Hyde aren't technically starters but still were very solid picks. Same likely with Rollins this year.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I guess my perspective is this, and I'll disclaim it by saying BJ Raji will almost certainly make this roster.

There was some speculation last offseason prior to Raji's injury that he could be cut if he bombed preseason. It was notable that there were only $500,000 in guarantees, and if I'm not mistaken this year's contract is similar in guarantees. I have a hard time seeing how his situation has changed for the better after a major injury and year of not playing.

My point I guess is that there I could see a scenario, if Boyd or Pennel had a dominant pre-season while Raji bombed again, that they could cut ties, particularly if Guion sees his suspension cut on appeal. Guys who I consider stone cold "locks", Rodgers, Lacy, Nelson, Matthews, etc, don't have any scenarios. They are on the team no matter what happens in the pre-season, regardless of performance and regardless of the performance of their peers. To me, there's a difference. The reputation advantage should be long gone by now.

Is Raji by far the best option we have at NT? I guess we'll find out -- he should be, but he's had years of being the league's worst.

I don´t trust Raji either until he significantly improves his performance during the regular season either but with Guion suspended for the first three games I really can´t imagine any scenario in which the Packers cut him before week 1.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t trust Raji either until he significantly improves his performance during the regular season either but with Guion suspended for the first three games I really can´t imagine any scenario in which the Packers cut him before week 1.

I haven't paid much attention to him in preseason especially yesterday with everything going on with Jordy but the numbers look just like always. No ticks on the stat sheet, just out there taking up space.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't paid much attention to him in preseason especially yesterday with everything going on with Jordy but the numbers look just like always. No ticks on the stat sheet, just out there taking up space.

I haven´t been able to watch yesterday´s game so far, so I can´t make an educated guess about his performance. With Raji I have to see an improved performance during the regular season to feel comfortable about him though anyway.

Members online

Latest posts