1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Who would you rather we draft at #21?

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by FrankRizzo, Mar 16, 2014.

?

Which ONE would you prefer we get among these "Popular-5" for us + Borland?

1. TE Eric EBRON

7.0%
  2. FS Hasean CLINTON-DIX

27.9%
  3. FS Calvin PRYOR

23.3%
  4. ILB C.J. MOSLEY

32.6%
  5. ILB Chris BORLAND

2.3%
  6. NT Louis NIX

7.0%
  1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I have seen tons of mock drafts already, from the pro writers at CNNSI.com to ESPN.com and NFL.com and CBS.com, to the smarter fans around the country.

I've seen this handful of guys to us more than any others.

Some of them WILL be available when we pick.
    Which one would you prefer that to be among them?
    All 3 guys from Sports Illustrated here:
    For us: 21.[​IMG]
    Calvin Pryor S, Louisville
    C.J. Mosley LB, Alabama
    C.J. Mosley LB, Alabama

You know what, I saw a mock this week from someone national, that had ILB Chris Borland going #31 to Denver in the 1st round, so I am adding him as an option.
    Despite the rankings, I would bet heavily that Borland has more of in immediate and long-term positive impact than Mosley.
    With the choice of Borland, you might imagine a trade down about 7, 8, 9 spots to take him and gain an additional pick in about round 4 or 5.

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I really don't see Borland going in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    (Of course) I like Borland but my excitement over him as a Packer fan stems from the potential value of picking him up in the second or third round. I hope teams discount him but if someone's going to use a first rounder on an ILB that is (1) undersized and (2) has a history of shoulder issues, it seems like they're reaching.

This is the same reason I was critical of the Tretter pick last year: IMO, he likely would've been there for us later. Using a first round pick on a player that will probably be available in the second round is probably value lost.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +458
    Just curious why some would prefer safety over ILB? Both are positions of weakness but it's been shown that this is a difficult defense for a safety to make an early impact (even Nick Collins took a couple years to prove himself). I'm all for drafting a safety, just not in the first. Either of the first round safeties is probably going to either sit his first year or give up a bunch of plays.

5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I share your questions and remember Collins struggling as a rookie and 2nd year player.
    But remember, he was from Bethune-Cookman. Have you ever seen Bethune-Cookman play? Do you know what state, city that school is in? Who is in their conference? From a small school like that, he was raw. But a special athlete.

Lately, you might notice safeties like Kenny Vacarro, Harrison Smith, Eric Reid all from bigger colleges (Texas, Notre Dame, LSU) who played legit teams, made immediate impacts and each made their defenses better right away, as rookies.

Harrison Smith could have been had by us if not for Datone Jones.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/15/2012-pff-all-rookie-team/2/

• Like Like x 2
  6. asifp

asifp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Would be amazing if we can nab Borland in the 2nd round. That guy was always making a play for the Badgers!

First round, lets get a Safety.

7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    There's absolutely no doubt the Packers need help at both positions. I don't buy into the thought that it's hard for a safety to make an early impact in Capers defense. Nick Collins was already in his fifth season and a stud safety when Capers took over in 2009. I really think Clinton-Dix is NFL ready and should be able to contribute immediately.

8. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +458

Capers and Lebeau's defenses are notoriously difficult for younger players. Not sure our defense is comparable to those who have seen rookie safeties do well.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

9. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Here's my personal preferences:

1. Pryor (just because he brings the wood, reminds me of a bigger Bob Sanders, as someone else said this week)
    2. Borland (I really see a slightly-smaller Luke Keuchly here with immediate impact)
    3. Clinton-Dix (Not as positive about him, could disappoint like Malcolm Jenkins did in New Orleans. But could be Jairus Byrd like too)
    4. Mosley I love his speed, but I was not that impressed when I focused in on him, plus he has history of injuries already.
    5. Ebron Talent-wise, he might be #1 among these, and we don't have a good TE anymore. But our defense needs help more.
    6. Nix I just don't think you invest a #1 pick on a position that is not asked to be a playmaker, instead "occupy blockers".

10. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    More on Calvin Pryor:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46359/60/pre-free-agency-mock-draft?pg=2

11. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +216
    HaHa or Calvin. Our ILB situation is not good, but not dire. Our safety situation is dire. I don't really care which of the two. I think HaHa is probably the more polished player at this point and I prefer his size and ball skills, but I think Pryor would be a ton of fun to watch and add a little "nasty" to the D as some like to put it. I waffle on these two, but today, I'll take Pryor.

12. ReggieLombardi

ReggieLombardi Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    My list of first round targets has dwindled from 8 or 9 guys to 1 or 2. I'm really trying to like Clinton-Dix, Mosely, Nix III, Shazier. Finding it very difficult. I'm back and forth on Shazier and Mosely and I keep thinking that they are not a massive improvement for us. I voted for Clinton-Dix in the poll. I'm starting to think I'll be happy if TT trades us out of the pick to get us an extra 2nd or 3rd round player. Especially if we end up with a 3rd round compensatory pick. Ted and his team of experts can go find us some talent outside the 1st round. Maybe some of these guys...

First Round:
    HaHa Clinton-Dix FS Alabama

Second Round:
    Christian Jones ILB/OLB Florida St.
    Terrence Brooks FS Florida St.
    Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor
    Weston Richburg C Colorado St.
    Scott Crichton DE Oregon St.
    Stephon Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    Kelcy Quarles DT S.Carolina

Third Round:
    Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame
    Travis Swanson C Arkansas
    Dakota Dozier G Furman
    Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
    Daniel McCullers DT Tennessee
    C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa

Fourth Round:
    Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor
    Craig Loston SS LSU
    Kenny Ladler FS Vanderbuilt
    Max Bullough ILB Michigan St.
    Josh Mauro DE Stanford

13. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +311
    *IF* CJ Mosley is there, we draft him. No questions asked!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +362
    I like Prior, Mosely Dix at #21 but I don't think any will be there. I like Nix but not at #21.
    I'd like to trade out of the 1st for another # 2 and or #3.
    I really want Borland in 2nd or 3rd.

15. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    What about Shazier in the 1st maybe not at 21 but trade back and gain an extra 2nd or 3rd? Can he make the transition to ILB?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,858
    It would be Mosley for me. If not for injury concerns he would be going much higher. The guy has it all and plays with an attitude. Having someone this fast; effective; smart; and athletic will greatly increase what we can do on defense. He will be the biggest improvement to our defense - even though safety is a big need. Dix is a close second, he is a special player. Shazier is the same kind of player, just not quite as good in most areas. But he is more of an early 2nd rounder. If we miss Mosley in the first, I would be okay with Borland late in the 2nd, maybe later. There is a lot of talent in this draft. There will be some very good prospects at our 2nd round pick. Borland is just limited athletically, it will drop him further than his college production would suggest. His limited physical skills may make things difficult at the NFL level.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  17. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    I'm always hesitant to draft ILB/MLBs that high in the draft. It seems to me that there are always talented guys available in between rounds 2-5.

Thing is the Packers might not have Safety as that high of a concern, perhaps they really like Hyde's potential at the S spot, where he does project well.

In terms of team needs do you trust the future of this defense to the mercurial Raji? We need a stud at NT to anchor our front 7 and I'm not sure if Raji has the guts to do it day in and day out. The way he flopped after Rodgers went out has spooked me on him as a player. We need ILB help but this has always struck me as a position that can be filled adequately in the middle rounds. We could also use safety depth but would one of the these first or second rounders actually be better than a second year Micah Hyde who flourished as a hybrid s/cb nickel back last season?

18. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    I'm really curious to see if this is their plan. I'm just shocked he hasn't brought in one safety.

19. SCpackerfan

SCpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Mosley in the 1st and D. Bucannon in the 2nd.

20. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I would pay $ to get both Calvin Pryor and Chris Borland.
    I will be satisfied getting either of them.

CALVIN PRYOR
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/calvin-pryor?id=2543469
    Bottom Line
    -This sounds very similar to Kenny Vacarro last year, and Harrison Smith the year before. If anyone watched those 2 guys, as rookies, they know we need that. And as ROOKIES, they can upgrade the defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...2014-nfl-draft-prospects-by-position-safeties
    http://www.freep.com/article/201402...er-Calvin-Pryor-might-NFL-draft-s-best-safety
    When was the last time you heard anyone like that in the Packers DBackfield? Chuch Cecil? This guy belongs on Seattle. If we can get him, we have to take him.

http://www.freep.com/article/201402...er-Calvin-Pryor-might-NFL-draft-s-best-safety

Mike Mayock is pretty good at rating safeties, the position he used to play.
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0a...ecombine-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  21. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
  22. bear7625

bear7625 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I wouldn't take Borland in 1st rd. I think safety is #1 need.

23. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    Borland is not a 1st rounder and it would be silly to use our #21 pick on him. If the Packers really want him, he's likely to be there at the #53 pick. He might even be there in the 3rd round.

24. Einstein McFly

Einstein McFly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +235
    Arrrrrgggg! Taking up blockers is the KEY to running our base defense. Silly ESPN buzzwords like "playmaker" are great for sportscenter where they don't know what's actually going on in the play, but what the coaches and fans care about is whether the defense succeeds in stopping the offense, not whether the key player "makes a play" that looks great and gets stats. We lost games last year because we couldn't stop the run in the base at the end of the game. If we can't fix that then we'll never get past the 9ers and will have trouble with any team that can force us out of nickel.

25. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +317
    I would love to see Mosley or Ebron go here. I think both the safeties are going to be "impact" players but I am very much intrigued to see if they give Hyde a look at S. He seems to have a knack for the ball and proved last year that he is not afraid to mix it up at the LOS. The obvious choice IMO is defense but as the above article says if Ebron is there how do you not snag him? Kid is a crazy athlete and could really open up the middle of the field and make out PA game that much more lethal. Bottom line is I have full confidence in TT and his best player available approach. I know there have been a few "busts" in the first the last few years but there is pretty solid depth in RD1 this year and see us getting an instant contributor. As always though, TT does his best work in the middle rounds but if we could get a steal or a instant impact guy with #22 I will be jacked!

Side note, I am so glad I found this site. I am a looooong time Packer fan and it seems there are a bunch of knowledgeable fans here and I look forward to mixing it up a little and having a blast talking about THE only team that matters in the league. Go Pack Go!

• Like Like x 1