Who would you draft?

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok guys, if you were in the War Room on draft day had 7 picks, and 1 undrafted free agent to sign, but you had to take one player from each position group, who would you take? I'll give you mine, based on players I think can upgrade the team. I am going to assume that any Jr. I would look at is coming out, and that I'd know that before the draft.

QB: Nick Montana of Tulane, but it's a tough call. I'm used to seeing Tommy Rees at Notre Dame, and I like his arm and intelligence. I also like Nick Montana I saw him play this year, and while he isn't his Dad, Joe wasn't Joe in college either. I think if you brought Nick into McCarthy's QB camp, and 3rd string him for a year by the end of year 2 he could take over for Rodgers if Rodgers were to get injured again. Definite upgrade at a definite need. The difference is subtle, but I take Nick Montana simply because I know weird s*** happens when Tommy Rees starts moving his feet.

RB: Again I really love two RB here, both are Juniors, but I think one comes out and one stays. If that is the case it's easy, if not I still take Tre Mason of Auburn over Cam McDaniel of Notre Dame. Mason is an Eddie Lacy type tank back, McDaniel with about 15 pounds more on him could be a John Kuhn (Good 2-3 years ago Kuhn) type back as well. I still think McDaniel stays and Tre comes out, so Tre is my pick.

WR: Tough position here, cause not alot of guys impressed me, but gotta go with Odell Beckham of LSU. Easily the best WR in the SEC. (About 2-3 years there'll be at least 2 coming out that will be stars)

TE: Again tough position, not much out there that looks good. CJ Uzomah of Auburn would be the best player available, and I believe a slight upgrade from Quarless.

O-Line: The two lines are the easiest positions, cause there's only one stand out guy in my book. To improve our O-Line I go with the guy who has pedigree, father, grandfather, uncle, cousins in the NFL. Played C, G and T in college, and currently is the long snapper at his college. (This year's Barrett Jones minus the knee problems) Could very easily take over an interior line spot. Guy I take here is Jake Matthews of Texas A&M

D-Line: The guy I would take would make BJ Raji's large number expendable. Admittedly I'm basing this off of this player's 2012 numbers (When he had NFL caliber guys around him). He's a large DT (about 340-360 depending on who you listen to). To me he's a guy who can take up 2 or 3 blockers, leaving Matthews and whoever is opposite Matthews to pin their ears back and drool over sacks. To me the guy you take here is Louis Nix of Notre Dame. Yes he's not played as good this year as last year, but he's been called by his coach the best player on their Defense, and I think he either is, or could be another Warren Sapp skill wise. Side note on this pick: If the rest of the season goes into the tank and the team ends up with a top 15 pick, I think the Packers get him.

Linebacker: Here I think we need to fix the inside and plan for the future more than tweak the outside. Hawk is about 30 and won't play forever, I think Jones should be put back on the bench and be that Utility Linebacker like he did well at a couple years back. I see two linebackers here that I think the Packers could use. One I'll use a draft pick on, the other I'll sign with my rookie free agent selection. The draft pick (And this hurts as an Auburn fan) I would use to take CJ Moseley of Alabama. I'd like him to be 5-10 pounds bigger, 232 seems light in this day and age to be an inside backer, but he's a playmaker. Something that would upgrade our defense immensely. The rookie free agent selection here would be Carlo Calabrese of Notre Dame. I don't think he gets drafted, I worry about his speed like I do with AJ, but he plays mean, and that's another area we need. I think he gets a look from somebody, why not the Packers?

DB: Here's the biggest problem of the draft. We need what 4? Yet of the guys I've seen from watching SEC, some Big Ten, some ACC, Some Big 12, and some Pac 10, I don't see even one I'm impressed with, so if I'm a decision maker I probably trade for more picks in 2015, and try to upgrade this in Free Agency.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll bite on the DB since you had no answer for. If he were to be available in the 1st round, which is only going to happen if the Pack picks somehwere in the middle, I think the Pack would pretty much have to draft Safety Ha'sean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix.

As bad as our secondary is, i just don't think it would be wise to pass him up. I believe he is all the tools, both physically and mentally to be an immediate impact player at the Safety position in the NFL.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post, lotta info, love the draft.
BUT:

I don't care anymore to project, dream, scout who our picks might be.

Our 1st round picks over the past 4 years: Bulaga, Sherrod, Nick Perry, Datone Jones....
Jerel Worthy a #2 pick.

Everyone gets hurt.

It's no wonder why it's smart to trade down and accumulate more picks.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll bite on the DB since you had no answer for. If he were to be available in the 1st round, which is only going to happen if the Pack picks somehwere in the middle, I think the Pack would pretty much have to draft Safety Ha'sean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix.

As bad as our secondary is, i just don't think it would be wise to pass him up. I believe he is all the tools, both physically and mentally to be an immediate impact player at the Safety position in the NFL.
Completely agree. He is on a different level than the other safeties. There is such a glaring need for a free safety and he is by far the best out there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Can we "draft" a new Defensive Coordinator....... please? :whistling:

Funny how its not even December and Packer fans are turning towards the draft. Our customary upper 20 pick may be a top 10 pick if AR stays off the field. We may be in that Juxtapose position this year, secretly wanting to move down in the standings...

The only player I will comment on is Chris Borland at UW. We NEED a hard nosed intelligent player like Chris. Which round he will go in (3-5) is a total crap shoot, but a Zach Thomas like player is worth that pick.

Last edited:

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an outside the box player, but one that has me intrigued (and one that I'm pretty damn positive TT would never bite on): De'Anthony Thomas (RB - Ore.). He'd immediately rescue our abysmal return game and would be a hell of a toy for MM to devise some plays for out of the slot and backfield. He's not as big (strength wise) as Sproles, but he'd fill that type of role.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha'Ha should be the pick. The Packers have no impact players at safety this year. I don't know what happened to Morgan Burnett, but he's been non-existent this year. The Packers were at their best because of Nick "The Pick" Collins making plays. Ha'Ha could be a starter from Day 1.

I'd go with an offensive tackle or tight end in Round 2.

H

HardRightEdge

Besides current weak links, the keys to the draft are (1) which FAs will need to be replaced in the next 2 years (2) who will not be back due to injury and (3) who will be released because of excessive pay.

1. Safety
2. NT
3. WR
4. TE
5. cover corner

Safety and NT are repeat top priorities from last year...NT was on the list last year because we could be losing two big bodies this year.

That's tentative pending results from the FA signing period. I won't guess at names at this point...we need to see which underclassmen come out, the Combine / Pro Day results and the Packers draft position.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for reminding me about him, I forgot about him!

H

HardRightEdge

Trade down for a 2nd and a 4th.

That's optimistic. To get only a 2nd. and 4th. would mean we're very near the bottom of the draft order.

If we were picking 15th., for instance, we should get a 1st. and 2nd. from somebody wanting to move up 10 slots.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides current weak links, the keys to the draft are (1) which FAs will need to be replaced in the next 2 years (2) who will not be back due to injury and (3) who will be released because of excessive pay.

1. Safety
2. NT
3. WR
4. TE
5. cover corner

Safety and NT are repeat top priorities from last year...NT was on the list last year because we could be losing two big bodies this year.

That's tentative pending results from the FA signing period. I won't guess at names at this point...we need to see which underclassmen come, the Combine / Pro Day results and the Packers draft position.

I wouldn't call WR a big need even if Jones leaves in free agency, but I could still see TT taking one high since he took Nelson and Cobb high when it wasn't a need position.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many 1st round picks make immediate big impact?

Matthews did.
Bulaga was okay.
Raji was okay.

Datone no.
Perry no.
Sherrod no.
Rodgers no.

It's very rare to get a Clay like impact, for us.
This is why I am depressed to think of the draft and pin my hopes on any guys.

Sometimes I almost wish we'd take a look at another tool for adding talent, called free agency.
It's how we added an immediate impact run-stuffer in Ryan Pickett about 7 years ago. as well as an immediate impact pass-defender in Charles Woodson, also 7 or 8 years ago.

A safety who knows how to play could help us. Doesn't have to be a draft pick a la Morgan Burnett and Jeron McMillian.
I miss Nick Collins.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I almost wish we'd take a look at another tool for adding talent, called free agency.
It's how we added an immediate impact run-stuffer in Ryan Pickett about 7 years ago. as well as an immediate impact pass-defender in Charles Woodson, also 7 or 8 years ago.

The problem with FA for the Packers is pretty obvious however, and we are all aware of it. The Packers have a ton of players coming up for contract, and if we went out and signed an impact-likely FA then it would be near impossible for us to keep not just one, but probably several important players on this team.

Raji, Shields, Finley, TWilliams, JJones...how many of those guys are we willing to lose? Could we have offered Raji an 8 mil contract if we went after a FA? Maybe he isn't accepting it now but when the offseason comes around, he sure as hell might. What if we get TWilliams back on a much lower contract?

I'd love to dip into FA, but jeez, most of the bigger names are FAs because they refused the offers they got from their teams and they're looking for a big payday. And getting FAs on the cheap often doesn't give you the player you want. Look at Jeff Saturday. His body was just too old and he didn't have it anymore.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't call WR a big need even if Jones leaves in free agency, but I could still see TT taking one high since he took Nelson and Cobb high when it wasn't a need position.

It typically takes 2 years to develop a WR, even if he's an upper round pick.

Let's say Finley counts as 1/2 of a WR.

Finley has a career threatening injury and his contract is up...it's likely he'll be unsigned at draft time. Jones may be unsigned or gone at the time of the draft. Nelson will be an FA after next season. Cobb is coming off a serious injury. I'd say WR is a need position in an offense that should be 4 deep, or at least 3 deep with a WR-like TE option. As a side note that plays into the equation, Quarless will also be a FA after this season.

We could be going into next season with Nelson, Boykin, a questionable Cobb, Bostick and just some guys, with Nelson in his contract year. That's not a good look.

Like I said, we need to see how things develop between now and the draft, but WR or a TE/WR hybrid could be a high need position especially if Cobb does not come back this season where his recovery can be evaluated based on game play, for which there is no substitute.

Cobb was definitely a need pick. Jones was unsigned at the time of the 2011 draft, Driver was in decline and Jennings was a FA 2 years out. I observed at the time that the sigining of Cobb, a slot receiver type, was a signal that difficulties in resigning Jennings were anticipated, a guy who made a lot of hay for us out of the slot. I would observe that the absence of Jennings and Cobb on the field this season goes a long way toward explaining our poor red zone performance this season even before Rodgers was injured illustrating the criticality of the slot receiver in this offense.

Bostick provides the same size/speed measurables as Finley and has shown decent hands on his few targets. Quarless shouldn't cost much so I'd suspect he'll be back as the blocking TE complement to Bostick's TE/WR hybrid profile.

In light of these realities, WR should be fairly high up the needs list.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many 1st round picks make immediate big impact?

Matthews did.
Bulaga was okay.
Raji was okay.

Datone no.
Perry no.
Sherrod no.
Rodgers no.

It's very rare to get a Clay like impact, for us.
This is why I am depressed to think of the draft and pin my hopes on any guys.

There are very few rookies across the league who do. On defense, Luke Kuechly may be one of the very few that did.

Rodgers didn't and look at him now.
Datone has been showing some stuff as of late. He may be a success story.
Perry and Sherrod we just have to hope they overcome their injuries, because Perry at least was beginning to contribute.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It typically takes 2 years to develop a WR, even if he's an upper round pick.

In light of these realities, WR should be fairly high up the needs list.
Ted's drafting of WR's has been great, especially compared to safeties and CB's.

WR's.
Greg Jennings
James Jones
Jordy Nelson
Randall Cobb

Also:
Cory Rogers
Terrance Murphy

He's done great at WRs and I loved what I saw in brief time from Murphy, before another BS neck injury hit this team, him, as a rookie.
Cory Rogers was GREAT here at TCU (lov you Jerry Hughes), and I was thrilled we drafted him.
The special teams coach screwed him all up his rookie camp trying to CHANGE the way he caught punts, and he fumbled too many of them, losing all his confidence and he was never the same electric playmaker as he was before. He failed out.
All the other WRs have done well, and pretty early on.

And they all were, are, pretty high character guys. Jennings is a fraud as we now know, but he's no ****** or armed burglar like a lot of collegiate football athletes are these days. So look for Teddy to target some WR who's high character, who has produced for 2-3 years.

Western Michigan, San Jose State, Kansas State, Kentucky, Texas Christian, Texas A&M.... those are the 6 schools of those WR's above.
No Big Ten. Coincidence? Maybe.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with FA for the Packers is pretty obvious however, and we are all aware of it. The Packers have a ton of players coming up for contract, and if we went out and signed an impact-likely FA then it would be near impossible for us to keep not just one, but probably several important players on this team.

Raji, Shields, Finley, TWilliams, JJones...how many of those guys are we willing to lose? Could we have offered Raji an 8 mil contract if we went after a FA? Maybe he isn't accepting it now but when the offseason comes around, he sure as hell might. What if we get TWilliams back on a much lower contract?

I'd love to dip into FA, but jeez, most of the bigger names are FAs because they refused the offers they got from their teams and they're looking for a big payday. And getting FAs on the cheap often doesn't give you the player you want. Look at Jeff Saturday. His body was just too old and he didn't have it anymore.

I don't see BJ Raji being here next year, the number will be too big

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji is not living up to an 8 mil contract. Let him walk.

The problem is, we have only one safety who is anywhere close to average, and frankly Burnett is nothing better than average. It's a major position of need. Clinton Dix may be off the board by the time the Packers pick...unless we lose at Detroit, miss the playoffs and end up around 8-8 and picking around #16 or so. We may have to settle for the #2 or #3 ranked safety.

If Raji isn't back, then FS, NT, possibly TE all becomes positions of need that will have to be filled in the draft.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure Dix is a 1st round safety. I'd rather see the Packers take Nix round 1 and maybe trade up to earlier 2nd for Dix if possible.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned before I don't catch every second of every college game, but as I continue watching games I've noticed 3 guys that I would be happy with if the Packers drafted where this thread is concerned.

1.) ILB Max Bullough Michigan State: Smaller linebacker, not sure of speed though he seems to play fast, but the real upside on this kid is his smarts. This kid allegedly correct his D coordinator when the coordinator makes a mistake. Not a diva, just a smart kid.

2.) G/C Anthony Steen Alabama: Played both guard and center this year for a team that was #1 most of the year. Packers need a big name lineman, if not Matthews, I'd be very happy with Steen.

3.) WR Sammy Coates Auburn: He's 6'2 200 lbs. He looks like Megatron's little brother. Lead the nation (And may still) in YPC. Deep threat, something we need since we lost Jennings. (Yes I found a practical use for Jennings, sorry). Had I known his stats when I originally made this post, I would've mentioned him instead of Beckham.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would ask whatthehell, roddell and a few others who I should pick..

I take this as a jab but i'll bite just because. The Green Bay Packers have traded their 1st rd. pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for Safety Eric Berry. There ya go...happy now?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dix is a 1st round safety simply because no other safeties will even sniff the first round.

There are a number of players I'd like to see us end up with. We are fortunate in that though we are still only going to be in the middle of the round, nearly 1/2 of the people ahead of us will be reaching on quarterbacks.

Assuming (rightfully so) that Barr, Clowney, Matthews are gone and that we are somewhere around pick 16, I'm good with CJ Mosley, HaHa C-Dix, or Louis Nix and maybe a few others. If they are gone and there is nobody on the board that has freakishly slipped to us, I'm good with trading our 1st. The bulk of the quality safeties this year will be there in the third and I think one of the premiere 3 TE in this class are likely to be there for us in the 2nd.

I'm hoping something like: Nix or Mosley in round one, Sefarian-Jenkins in round 2, and someone like Terrence Brooks, Dion Bailey, or Dre Boston in the 3rd.

If none of the guys I really want is there, I'd trade back in the 1st and use that pick on Ebron, Amaro, or Sefarian-Jenkins, use our 2nd on probably what would amount to a BPA pick, and use our third and the third acquired from trading our first on a FS and NT respectively. Maybe Boston/Bailey and that mammoth McCullers to eat space in lieu of Pickett.

Members online

Latest posts