Who will be our 2nd best D player this year?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(as always, depends on health)

By the end of the season, who do you expect to be our 2nd best player on defense, after of course Clay Matthews?

• Datone Jones
  • Nick Perry
  • BJ Raji
  • Morgan Burnett
  • Casey Hayward
  • Sam Shields
  • Tramon Williams
  • AJ Hawk
  • Mike Neal?

I'd put it to a vote, but let's just discuss.

I'm thinking it's one of the last two #1 picks, Datone or Perry. Hoping too.
My money's on Nick Perry (gotta stay healthy though)

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more hope than reality to think Perry will be the second guy. I still see him as an undersized DE who hasn't convinced me he can play in space. After that any of the players other than Hawk and Neal could rise to # 2. I'm really hoping that Datone Jones is a difference maker as a rookie and changes the entire defensive dynamics.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope: Perry or Jones

Reality: Morgan Burnett. No durability issues. Tons of tackles. My kind of guy.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more hope than reality to think Perry will be the second guy. I still see him as an undersized DE who hasn't convinced me he can play in space.
I'm certainly no TT-lover, and I didn't want Perry much when he was being drafted.
But I do back TT and Capers and Greene 100% on this guy.

He's powerful, and quick enough to be a serious threat as a pass-rusher, and Andrew Luck felt that last year (even though the BS refs called it unnecessary roughness).

I don't care much about him in space. Lamar Woodley and Shawn Merriman weren't great in space. But they killed QBs for awhile.

If we can get 3 healthy years out of Perry, I see at least 25 sacks there, which will help a lot.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones = JJ Watt?
Nick Perry = Lamar Woodley?

If they play like younger versions of each, how would our defense be?

Can you imagine if our defense was a serious strength instead of the liability/achilles heel/weakness that it has been in the Rodgers Era's 3 playoff losses?

I believe Capers has a strong reputation.
He's being paid to be good, one of the highest 5 paid Defensive Coordinators.
Teddy has invested heavily in this defense.
Capers' defense needs to produce, starting this year, or I think he's gone.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget about Datone Jones, if just Nick Perry plays up to his billing this defense takes a leap forward. His natural pass rushing ability and his ability to set the edge would improve every phase of our Defense's performance. If Jones does turn out for us well then that's gravy.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones = JJ Watt?

If they play like younger versions of each, how would our defense be?

Can you imagine if our defense was a serious strength instead of the liability/achilles heel/weakness that it has been in the Rodgers Era's 3 playoff losses?

I believe Capers has a strong reputation.
He's being paid to be good, one of the highest 5 paid Defensive Coordinators.
Teddy has invested heavily in this defense.
Capers' defense needs to produce, starting this year, or I think he's gone.

I agree. We have the makings to be a very good defense if some things pan out. We already have one of the best secondaries in the game if you consider the depth from the no. 1 CB to no. 4. Burnett is ascending and consistent. Who knows about the second safety spot, but with the talent elsewhere back there, we don't need McMillian and/or Jennings to be great.

And then the front seven - if Datone and Perry live up to their first-round billing, then we're able to limit Neal to what he does best - essentially a specialty rusher. Then, we'd have some talent to get after the QB: Clay, Jones, Perry, Raji, Neal ... That has the makings to be very good if it pans out like we think/hope.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones = JJ Watt?

Why stop there?

Brad Jones = Patrick Willis
McMillan = Ed Reed

:)

Its a little bit much to expect Datone to come in and be a huge impact. I think he will be an excellent player for us, but it is rare for a DL to make an immediate and huge impact. I will consider Datone a huge success if he plays 50% of snaps and has a few sacks.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres a name i'm not seeing but i'll go with BJ Raji. I think he will have about 5 sacks. Burnett will be up there to leading the team in int's and over 100 tackles.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Along the lines here of our defense and what's needed: How about some harder hitting, forced fumbles?

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Packers have recovered 55 fumbles since 2006, McCarthy’s first season. That’s tied with the Jacksonville Jaguars for the fewest in the NFL over that time. Dead last.

The Chicago Bears, meanwhile, recovered an NFL-best 107 fumbles during that same time frame under Smith, or nearly double the number the Packers did.

Interestingly, the three teams that were the best at recovering fumbles since 2006 are the Bears, the Detroit Lions (106) and Minnesota Vikings (95), all of the Packers’ NFC North rivals.

Members online

Latest posts