Who Is The Surprise Cut

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, so with over 45Million ish spent on 4 starter caliber guys today....something is set to break. Who is the surprise cut that makes a big impact cap wise in your opinion?

We all know Perry, not a surprise. I'd also argue Tramon and Crosby don't count as well.

A surprise cut which honestly would add A TON of cap space but would be HUGE dice roll is M. Daniels...there is no way we sign him after this season due to his age and his pursuit no doubt of a final big contract of his career.

Kenny and Tyler would continue to have to step up HUGE and not too mention few others or a drafted prospect as well.

Who is your surprise cut?

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hate to see Mike leave, especially since he has always been advocating for a nasty defense and he finally seems to have one. However I am dying to resign Breeland as well..

Cuts in order of preference for me would be:
Tramon
Crosby
Bulaga
Graham
Daniels

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
After Daniels mediocre performance last year and large possible savings, I think he is gonna be the next man looking for a job.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lost in all of this is Wilkerson and Breeland. Do the Packers have enough money to resign 1 or both of them? Given that they would both be starters, I have to think Gute has something up his sleeve to try and get at least Breeland back. Or does he think King will stay healthy and along with JA and Jackson, the Packers are set at CB?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about a clay and buagla re structure?

It isn't this easy as we all would wish. Nor would I bet both do
I would hate to see Mike leave, especially since he has always been advocating for a nasty defense and he finally seems to have one. However I am dying to resign Breeland as well..

Cuts in order of preference for me would be:
Tramon
Crosby
Bulaga
Graham
Daniels

Okay like I say, to me Tramon and Crosby are no surprise and with the serious change dropped today I fully expect they both are gone along with Perry. The Bulaga cut all depends on what position we are expecting Turner to play, if Tackle sure, but many see him as a starting Guard.

Graham is one I debated as well, but with AR at QB and what we have behind him at TE ranks makes me struggle with saying they'd do that.

For the record I LOVE Daniels personally, and would understand but hate the decision.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lost in all of this is Wilkerson and Breeland. Do the Packers have enough money to resign 1 or both of them? Given that they would both be starters, I have to think Gute has something up his sleeve to try and get at least Breeland back. Or does he think King will stay healthy and along with JA and Jackson, the Packers are set at CB?

I have said Breeland is my #1 need to resign/sign in FA...Mo is another reason I sense Daniels could be the surprise cut. HUGE savings and Mo would be cheaper than what Daniels is worth...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
clay is a free agent. maybe bulaga but i doubt it.
4got that!

I heard a number of 4.5 mill.. Just thought was restructure

I don't think he returns given the events today

Bulaga there was talk b4 2018 of restructure . Only reason why I mentioned now

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4got that!

I heard a number of 4.5 mill.. Just thought was restructure

I don't think he returns given the events today

Bulaga there was talk b4 2018 of restructure . Only reason why I mentioned now
yeah but i can't see them taking a step forward at right guard then taking a step back at right tackle.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say we see Turner as the Guard starter and we don't want to have to replace Bulaga..we could cut Lane, Mike Daniels, Tramon and Crosby saving roughly nearly $20 Million...if you keep Daniels you only recoup roughly $11.3 Million instead of nearly 20.

The more I sit and think on this, I truly think it could be what happens...Unless they go Lane, Tramon, Crosby and Graham and pray to get top flight TE in draft and serviceable in FA...this would net you a savings of roughly $16.6 Million.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With rumors on Mo for one year deal....Daniels cut just might be more likely.

NEVERMIND...no credibility to the two links (actually same one) I saw here and had texted to me.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If losing Daniels means gaining Breeland and Wilkerson, I'd advocate this move, even though it would still hurt to see it happening.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bears got creative last night with Mack's contract and created some Cap space.

They created $11 million in 2019 cap space by converting $13 million of Mack’s 2019 base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus.

So, $13 million prorated over five years is $2.6 million per year. The Bears reportedly saved $11 million against the cap in 2019, but they added $2.6 million against their cap for 2020 and each of the three years after that.

The Packers and Rodgers might have to do the same thing to sign Breeland and Wilkerson.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They created $11 million in 2019 cap space by converting $13 million of Mack’s 2019 base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus.

So, $13 million prorated over five years is $2.6 million per year. The Bears reportedly saved $11 million against the cap in 2019, but they added $2.6 million against their cap for 2020 and each of the three years after that.

The Packers and Rodgers might have to do the same thing to sign Breeland and Wilkerson.

Based on what I'm seeing, the guys the Packer signed today aren't eating up a ton of 2019 cap space (at least Amos, Turner, and P. Smith aren't, don't know on Z.Smith). I would imagine Wilkerson is close to vet min on a one year deal so re-doing Rodgers contract wouldn't be an option at this point I wouldn't think. Also, have Tramon who could free up ~$4M or so too. We're in good shape

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Based on what I'm seeing, the guys the Packer signed today aren't eating up a ton of 2019 cap space (at least Amos, Turner, and P. Smith aren't, don't know on Z.Smith). I would imagine Wilkerson is close to vet min on a one year deal so re-doing Rodgers contract wouldn't be an option at this point I wouldn't think. Also, have Tramon who could free up ~$4M or so too. We're in good shape

I would prefer not having to push Rodgers dead cap out, but with "only" $23M in 2021, $11.5 in 2022 and 0 in 2023, there is room.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Based on what Capt. Wimm posted in another thread ... I don’t think that is an option. Apparently, Rodgers base salary is only veteran minimum for this year... the rest is guaranteed money and signing bonus.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't expect the Packers to release Daniels but after the team signed Turner it might be possible they consider moving on from Bulaga in my opinion.

According to Over The Cap the Packers currently have $15 million of cap space. With this year's rookie class most likely eating up another $5.8 million of it there's currently not a lot of room to work with but Gutekunst could get creative to re-sign both Breeland and Wilkerson.