Who is staying and leaving

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Messages
507
Reaction score
0
Location
Little Rock, AR
I am seeing a lot of hysteria about who is going to be gone next year. In actually it may only be a handful more than normal turnover and might not hurt. The players I think are gone include:
Ahman Green
Tony Fisher
Henderson
Flanagan
Barry
Rueggamer (?sp)
Diggs (possibly)
Paris Lenon
Peterson, Williams or 2 DL you can almost pick
Grady
Starting WR will stay the same except maybe Rod Garder replaces Fergie
TE will have no change in top two and we will draft one
We will draft at least 2 guards I hope.
DB will not change much except maybe Roman, Harris, Collins, Carroll, and Underwood stay.


Most of our starters return where we had a real starter. Change at RB, guard and QB. Otherwise it will change based more on draft and if FA available at guard or OL. I doubt we get FA DL any better than we have but hope we sign Grady for one more year.
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
I really think it will depend on what Favre does. TT MAY want to keep a few of the veterans you mentioned around to see if we can take a shot at the division (Henderson, Green for cheap, Grady). On the other hand if Favre hangs em up the you may see a mass exodus from the veterans, by TT or by choice, if they are free agents. Who wants to stick around for a rebuilding job if you only have a couple years left?
 

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
742
Reaction score
0
Location
91214
Bottom line is we need to get the OL in order. Then RB situation due to the current RB's contracts. We're not going to keep all the current RB's and I think we'll see alot of movement in this group. If Green won't sign a 1 year contract I don't think we'll keep him. Najeh has been injured every year and Fisher is a great receiving back but not that special in the run game. We may be able to get another special player with our 1st rounder this year, whether a RB or DE/LB. Other than the first round, we need to concentrate on OL, RB,LB, CB, and DL.
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
cali...you are absolutely right about our offensive line. With Jag coming over and instituting "zone blocking" you may see a huge turnover. I don't know alot about it but it is my understanding that you need quick, athletic offensive linemen to run it. Do we really have that now?
 

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
1,365
Reaction score
0
Location
Wausau WI
i dont think for a second that Jackson or Green will be gone next year. They have both expressed interest in signing a one year small contract. And grady said he would be willing to play for the minimum.
 

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
2,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Citrus Heights CA
Do you really think Diggs won't be cut? Ferguson? KGB costs less to cut than Hunt. Washington, Klemm, Sander and Martin are certainly not safe.
Murphy's medical condition is serious and may not return. Even if he does he will not be in the league long.

Clifton if cut/traded will cost a third of Hunt's cap hit in 06. Tausher is much cheaper to cut. Carroll if done after June 1 is an easy cap hit to absorb compared to the Tackles. Barnett would put a managable bite in the cap.

No, if you go through the list the Packers signed through next year the Packers can afford to to cut all and sign replacements. In this new era every Packer is expendable.

Now it is unlikely both OT's will be traded this year. It is unlikely both starting CB's will be gone. But with a new coaching staff employing new schemes anything is possible. Any player might not be part of the future.

If the goal is to destroy the Packers and only go with players obtained by Thompson, then look actions along those lines. If the goal is to improve the team longer term then actions will be different than wanting to put the best team possible on the field in 2006. TED's plans are known only to himself.

Some players will get the same respect that the coaching staff received.
Do not be suprised by anything.
 

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Joined
Dec 12, 2004
Messages
11,903
Reaction score
4
Location
Green Bay, WI
mattresell said:
agopackgo4 said:
i dont think for a second that Jackson or Green will be gone next year. They have both expressed interest in signing a one year small contract. And grady said he would be willing to play for the minimum.

I haven't heard this yet. Where can I find that information?

Agreed, havent heard this either.

Green emotionally stated he wants the long term big contract he has earned and deserves.

Grady said similar things as well, not emotionally. Although he did fire Rosenhaus, hmm.
 

tromadz

Cheesehead
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
999
Reaction score
3
Location
Chicago
Ahman Green - dont care, got gado, ahman is getting older, if he comes back for less money, fine, but he wants LT money...so bye bye

Tony Fisher - if he comes back cheap fine, otherwise bye bye

Henderson - please come back, re-sign him TT!

Flanagan - this is tough. He is(or was?) a good center...but his injuries and age are starting to make him nto good it looks like. Scott Wells might be his replacement, and hes ok. More consistent.

Barry - Barry probably should have been a starter on the Oline last year, but the sherm thought it would be cute to have him play in one special package every 9 plays. I want Barry to stay, he is fat and can move like a madman, its amazing.


Rueggamer (?sp) - We might need him for our oline.

Diggs (possibly) - too much money I heard, he gone.


Paris Lenon - Whooo! Re-sign him! I hope its cheap, sign him for a 3 year deal! I like him and his improvements, hopefully he has more room for growth!

Peterson, Williams or 2 DL you can almost pick - This is tough, we have a lot of talented DLinemen. Just gotta let TT do his thing where he picks the right man.


Grady - Since he fired Rosenhaus, chances of geting the fat man back are a lot better. He did a lot of great things this year, and if we can put some injury stipulations in his contract, sign him for 3. ESPECIALLY if we go into a 3-4 Defense.
 

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
1,028
Reaction score
0
There's really no way to tell who will be back next year. Most of the origial players mentioned are good enough to be on the team, so it is just a matter of what type of money it takes to sign them. Example, Ruegamer I would hope would be upgraded/replaced as a starter but could be a valuable back up at the right price.
 

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
0
Location
SE Wisconsin
paxvogel said:
I am seeing a lot of hysteria about who is going to be gone next year. In actually it may only be a handful more than normal turnover and might not hurt. The players I think are gone include:
Ahman Green
Tony Fisher
Henderson
Flanagan
Barry
Rueggamer (?sp)
Diggs (possibly)
Paris Lenon
Peterson, Williams or 2 DL you can almost pick
Grady
Starting WR will stay the same except maybe Rod Garder replaces Fergie
TE will have no change in top two and we will draft one
We will draft at least 2 guards I hope.
DB will not change much except maybe Roman, Harris, Collins, Carroll, and Underwood stay.


Most of our starters return where we had a real starter. Change at RB, guard and QB. Otherwise it will change based more on draft and if FA available at guard or OL. I doubt we get FA DL any better than we have but hope we sign Grady for one more year.

i don't think fergie, davenport, nor david martin will bbe back
 

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Joined
Nov 28, 2005
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
39
Location
wisconsin
i like alot of the players green will be really healthy give him a deal he was doing really good before he got hurt and now that he has his new knees,watch out look at the bus he has the same problem as green with asmah didnt stop him,feggie well i think he has stage fright meaning getting hit we have alot of talent within so we should start with what we have,and then the draft and free agents.
 

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
1,365
Reaction score
0
Location
Wausau WI
mattresell said:
agopackgo4 said:
i dont think for a second that Jackson or Green will be gone next year. They have both expressed interest in signing a one year small contract. And grady said he would be willing to play for the minimum.

I haven't heard this yet. Where can I find that information?
I heard it either on the pregame show or the post game show with Bill Michales from Wtmj. I didnt read it anywhre but Bill said that Green said he would come back. And the same with grady
 

Hammer

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
651
Reaction score
0
Location
Durham, NC
packerfan4ever said:
i like alot of the players green will be really healthy give him a deal he was doing really good before he got hurt and now that he has his new knees,watch out look at the bus he has the same problem as green with asmah didnt stop him,feggie well i think he has stage fright meaning getting hit we have alot of talent within so we should start with what we have,and then the draft and free agents.

I hope we keep Garner, he might be cheaper even than Fergie based on his being cut loose from WASH and CAR. Randle El is a FA I believe, but R-El, Driver, and Walker would eat a lot of money. Of course, we'd have a return man too, so that would figure in. Then there's Murphy to consider. I know nothing of the salary considerations, so I could be miles off on this.
Hammer
 

Members online

No members online now.
Top