who impressed wk2? who didnt?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
peppers was dominant! man oh man when we get daniels, guion, raji together, and mathews roaming loose... will anyone be able to concentrate on them with peppers wrecking everything in sight? i mean wow! dominating. and when he came out, elliot looked every bit as good, (except a little smaller:). but yea, elliot was looking great too. then the last two 1st rounders, haha and randall! very very good! lacy is a future hall of famer. so impressed with his power. starks too. he looks twice as good since being #2. now he looks like i had hoped he could. great! raji looked good. richard rodgers looks to be in mid season form... then barclay goes and lays a rotten egg... i didnt see anything after nelsons acl was announced...just some cussing and some scared looks from the folks next to me.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Masthay really stunk the field up. Gaston did fine. Gunther solidified his spot on the 53. Not concerned with Janis unable to do a thing on punt returns. That'll by Hyde's spot anyhow.

H

HardRightEdge

There is more to talk about than Nelson's injury, but not a lot. I will say this...right around the time the Rappaport ACL report appeared in the crawl, the air seemed to go out of the offense.

There were only a few starting/roster spots where I believe we got some clarity. I'll admit to having stopped watching with about 7 minutes left; the garbage time play had regressed into the "miserable" category.

QB: Rodgers was, of course, sharp as a tack. The back-up O-Line play was so poor I don't even want to comment on the poor backup QB play. 5 total first downs after the first drive. Ouch.

RB: Harris had that getting-2-yards-out-of-nothing working again on the 2 pt. conversion. He also dropped two passes. Neal and Crockett...uninspired. It's still a horse race for the #3 spot.

OL: I had Barklay for 1.5 - 2.o sacks surrendered, depending on how you want to count. He was called for a holding penalty. He gave up a bad hit on Tolzien on the play where the ball flew into the ether and the QB's helmet came off. He is not inspiring confidence...2 preseason games for him to clean it up.

The backup OL play was not good as already noted. Josh Walker got some work at both LT and RT. I can't say I noted him ******** up against the Steeler backups but I can't say I was watching him all that closely.

TE: Rodgers has very good hands; Quarless made a nice play on the seam route; the worked in tandem as H-backs in the "inverted bone", or whatever they call it this season, with little to show for it. As an aside, what the heck happened on one of those plays where Tolzien turned to hand off to Neal and he wasn't there. Didn't anybody tell Neal that when he's got two blockers in front of him in the backfield he's getting the ball? Sheesh.

WR: Nelson comments are abundant in the Nelson thread. The #4 next-man-up is essentially a starter in this offense with heavy 3-wide sets.

Janis caught three balls...one was actually a little away from his body but not really a reach catch. He dropped one on the numbers on an inside route. He couldn't scrape the left foot to stay in bounds on the overruled sideline catch. I would have never thought catch radius issues would show up on a punt return, but there you have it. One of his sideline catches was on a route cut off short of the first down. I believe it was Janis who was too close to the line of scrimmage resulting in the "TE covered up" penalty. Rodgers does not even look at him. Every sideline shot of McCarthy has Janis standing next to him. Whatupwitdat?

White continues to look pretty decent on short routes. White to slot and Cobb moving outside is a distinct possibility.

Pickard looked good on that one target/catch on the sidelines. He looked like he knew what he was doing and showed good hands extending for the ball. We'd like to see more of this guy.

DL: The starting base line had Pennel at strong-side DE and I think that's the way we're starting the season, with Pennel continuing to surprise and impress. Gaston looked decent again, if not quite as impactful as in week 1. Jones got a nice sack, but it was on stunt where he went unblocked by second teamers. Guion looked rusty.

OLB: Mike Neal is a smart football player. Note how he started to peel out with the back into the flat, then when Ben R. looked off the back Neal turned inside and nearly logged a sack. Again, Neal is that 1/2 - 1 step slow that would otherwise make him an outstanding OLB. Elliott, "Mr. August" as the Pittsburgh announcers dubbed him, was again active and around the ball. Mulumba was out there for some snaps; can't say I noticed him doing much.

ILB: Nate Palmer got the start again. He seems to be the kind of guy who's assignment-sure and gets in position to make plays...then doesn't. He whiffed on a clean shot at the QB; runners run by him. I earlier characterized him as Brad-Jones-redux. A Hawk-circa-2014 comparison might be apt. In any event he holds a job waiting to be taken.

Ryan didn't seem to get many snaps; I didn't see him doing anything of note other than challenging the line on an inside run blitz on a run that went outside for some decent yardage. Did he mis-read the play or was that the call? Who knows.

Hubbard looked good again on an inside blitz. I'm still not seeing much to recommend him beyond the pass rushing ability, which clearly is not enough to get off the bench. Might make the team, though.

Bradford looked pretty active and was around the ball against the third stringers. He still looks like he's thinking through it all. Squarely on the bubble.

CB: This competition is getting interesting. Randall got the start outside with Hayward in the slot. Randall was promptly schooled by Brown on two inside routes. He was pulled shortly thereafter with Hayward going outside. Randall returned and made the pick on that under thrown ball. Yeah, he's got ball skills but that's not what's been in question.

Rollins looked a little out of sync and the Coates burn was not pretty.

Hayward looked pretty solid; had a shot at a couple of picks; generally pretty tight coverage...outside corner is his job to lose.

Gunter continues to impress with unconventional techniques and knacks. He rides receivers inside, cutting off the inside route while keeping them enough off balance so they can't run away from him while keeping his hands to himself to avoid the call. This is typically the stuff we see from Seattle CBs, and they even get away with being handsy. At the same time he doesn't get his head around once the ball is in the air, but somehow anticipates the ball and gets his hands on it. I don't know if he's learned to read the receiver's eyes or hands or what, but he breaks up balls in a position where he can't see them coming. I don't know if Whitt is scratching his head or reaching for the Malox, but until proven otherwise I'm not confident this technique will hold up against receivers who can elevate.

As it stands, Gunter's box score reads 5 targets, 0 completions, 3 passes defended. It's hard to argue with that.

S: Status quo, except that Richardson got some snaps as his box safety self. I usually don't make a big deal about calls, but it did look like he made that interception. The review was so quick I think the refs just wanted to get it over with.

Special Teams: Masthay was pretty sketchy today. Ripkowski keeps making coverage tackles. I guess Hyde doesn't need game work returning punts because I'll be quite surprised if he isn't the #1 in week 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm impressed with all of our new DBs. Gunter, Randall, Rollins... those guys are going to make our secondary formidable over the next couple seasons. Anybody miss Williams and House at all?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thumbs up: Tom Clements and his whole offense on the 1st drive.
Elliot, Gunter, Randall, Rollins, Tolzien and Crosby
Thumbs down: Masthay and ALL backup offensive linemen.
The guy I really wanted to see start and do well, Jake Ryan, didn't start and did nothing to distinguish himself.
The entire second half was very difficult to watch.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with the possibility of losing Nelson, they only issue I have with our starting offense is left tackle. Barclay looks horrid. DL seems to punch him back easily and he's not athletic enough to recover. Start outside and jump inside and he seems to be stuck in cement or something. He'll need help every play if he's out there. I was never sold on the guy anyway at RT. But we have a qb that can make up for a deficient lineman I guess.

Much like last week, with roles reversed, I though Janis was looking pretty good, and then he drops a fairly easy and routine pass for a 1st down and that punt was terrible. He will NOT be the returner anyway. he may be fast, he is not a punt returner at all. Hyde is the guy we need back there. I don't see the return ability in Montgomery either from the punt. Hyde just knows how to get thru traffic, Montgomery still seems to think he's going to beat guys to the outside. anyway, last week, White impressed early, disappointed later in the game. This week, he seemed to do ok again and made a tough catch. I do want to see Pinkard more too. I think it's still open

Pennel looked good, Gaston was ok. I'm sick of Jones, really I am. 2 weeks in a row he's had an easy sack against 2-3rd string guys and acts like a buffoon. Any guy dancing in the preseason, especially when they've been mostly absent in the regular season for 2 years running needs an *** kicking by his teammates. I think Raji did ok, had decent penetration a couple times and seemed to hold his point at least other times. Not outstanding, but i'd be ok if he played that way. He even hustled down the line to make a play from behind.

Masthay is lucky he's holding for kicks and apparently our staff really values that or doesn't want to mess with it because I'd have 3 punters come in today for that job. Whatever he's needed to figure out, he hasn't at all.

I'm sure there's more, but it's all I have time for right now.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players I thought did well were: Elliot, Gunter, and Shields.
I thought Lang stunk up the place and Barclay difinitely should be at guard and should not be messed up by trying to put him at tackle. Masthay should be sent packing. Rasco looked bad too.
I thought Janis was up and down. Which seems to be his problem. I would not mind giving Reggie Wayne a look.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Ripkowski on special teams looked good, even one I thought he made a mistake, he hustled back and made the play. I like that from a special teamer. You're never done and you never stop going 100 MPH until the play is over. He seems to do that. Might make it just one special teams this year.

And Gunter looked good again, just making plays, how do you keep a guy out that just keeps making plays? I can still see the ability in Randall and Rollins, but it's obvious they still have things to learn and I think they will.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been lucky enough to see a game yet, but I'm not worried about Barclay. He's shown the ability in the past to play. I doubt that he's lost that. What he likely is still lacking is quickness/agility. He's getting the reps that he needs to work back from his knee injury. Players take time and I think that he'll make it back to what he was - a decent option to backup the OL. Hopefully the coaching staff will be able to decipher whether it's just his knee or he's really lost it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I haven't been lucky enough to see a game yet, but I'm not worried about Barclay.
I hope you’re right but I wonder how long it’ll take for him to get back to where he was, if he can. He was responsible for the sack of Rodgers in the EZ after getting beat by Harrison on an outside move. Luckily, Rodgers only suffered a bruised right arm and left the game earlier than planned. In the second quarter he got beat on an inside move by LB Jarvis Jones who sacked Tolzien. In the second half he got beat by LB Howard Jones on an outside move. Tolzien got slammed but got the ball away – he was evaluated for a concussion as a result of that play. And he was called for another holding penalty.

But I don’t think Barclay should have been playing LT even before his ACL injury, let alone after. So I think the coaching staff is to blame for trying him there. If they didn’t want to switch Bulaga for a preseason game I would have rather seen Vujnovich there – he has better feet for LT than Barclay IMO. Or at least give any player at LT not named Bulaga TE or FB help on passing downs. If Barclay can get back to where he was, IMO his best spot is RG, then RT; but not LT.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been lucky enough to see a game yet, but I'm not worried about Barclay. He's shown the ability in the past to play. I doubt that he's lost that. What he likely is still lacking is quickness/agility. He's getting the reps that he needs to work back from his knee injury. Players take time and I think that he'll make it back to what he was - a decent option to backup the OL. Hopefully the coaching staff will be able to decipher whether it's just his knee or he's really lost it.
i was never convinced Barclay was that good other than backing up at guard maybe. Yeah he filled in for Bulaga and did ok, but then I think it was largely because of giving him help and having a quarterback that can account for poor line play. He never was someone I'd trust to line up at a premier spot and hold his own, on his own. He has been serviceable, but I'm more worried about our offense with him at LT than I am without Jordy Nelson.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
forgot to mention pennel looks very good as well. he get the push and thats what we need. at de he is beastly! and does he even looks thinner over there, or am i nuts? (no need to answer :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Barclay has been terrible in both preseason games and the coaching staff might have to wonder whether he will fully recover from his knee injury. I don't put too much stock in him struggling at LT though as there's no way he should be playing there in the regular season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McGinn reviewed who played well at Pittsburgh and who didn’t at the end of his 'options at WR' column. Thornton and Barclay were obvious 'who didn'ts'. After noting Gunter and Pennel played well again (worth reading IMO), he had this to say about Josh Walker:
Josh Walker played guard all last summer in his determined but unsuccessful bid to win a job with the Indianapolis Colts. He also played guard about 75% of the time in the first two weeks of training camp in Green Bay. In New England, seven of his 30 snaps came at right tackle. Walker, however, played all 30 of his snaps at tackle (27 right, three left) in Pittsburgh as the Packers search for an option behind David Bakhtiari and Bryan Bulaga. He's a little stiff and unpolished, but by moving his feet he was effective shoving rushers wide. His only minus plays were one hurry and one false-start penalty, and he created movement again in the run game. Assuming the Packers wouldn't move Bulaga, their best option at left tackle if Bakhtiari wasn't available in the opener, might be Walker. JC Tretter is a capable center but demonstrated last year that he isn't strong enough for tackle.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ptions-at-receiver-b99562884z1-322774201.html

It's still early for him but this is definitely good news considering how far Barclay has to go to get back to where he was. And from what I've seen and according to reports like this one, he gets consistent movement in the running game, so he looks like a good option as the first OL off the bench to line up at TE in short yardage plays. I wonder if he can catch the ball? ;)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really hoping Raji shows up in the third pre-season game. With the depth issues the Packers are going to have on the dline to start the season, it would be nice to see some signs that Raji can accomplish something with his time on the field.

Otherwise, it seems like Thompson has done a decent job of replacing the secondary losses. Offense just seemed deflated after Jordy left so I'm not real sure how much I'll take out of the game on that one.

Oh, and someone should tell Barclay that Marshall Newhouse is not someone he should be aspiring to be.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pennel looked good, Gaston was ok. I'm sick of Jones, really I am. 2 weeks in a row he's had an easy sack against 2-3rd string guys and acts like a buffoon. Any guy dancing in the preseason, especially when they've been mostly absent in the regular season for 2 years running needs an *** kicking by his teammates.
Totally agree! OMG, I damn near went thru the television screen when I saw Jones whooping it up for getting a sack on 2nd/3rd stringers! Whoopty Frickin Doo! Let us know when you've actually sacked a starter! And the dude will be on vacation the first game of the season...:eek:

Members online

Latest posts