Who do you find at fault for the Packers problems?

Who do you find at fault for our losing ways?

• It all starts at the top with Ted (When I say draft, I don't mean beer) Thompson

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Mike and maybe other coaches not doing what we think they should do.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • The players. Where can I get a job that pays millions if I fail even though it's my bad?

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The sports drink mixologist changed the flavor to "Loser Lemon" this year.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a new sports curse since the Red Sox and now the Cubs has been broken.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A bit of him and them since football is family.

• Other: Insert your additions here with your 2 cents. Really. I could use the money.

• Total voters
Reaction score
When teams win a Championship the entire organization gets lifted up in praise and everyone quickly raises their hand to take credit.
When teams faulter all those same people need to boldly raise their hand to admit their share in the shortcomings and recommit themselves to supporting one another in doing what's necessary to get Championship results.
The valleys we encounter in sports are going to happen to every team. The true mark of a Champion is overcoming the adversity that comes our way and climbing back up that mountain.
I still 100% believe in this team. But they have to buy into the fact that a winning attitude overcomes obstacles along the way.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When teams win a Championship the entire organization gets lifted up in praise and everyone quickly raises their hand to take credit.
When teams faulter all those same people need to boldly raise their hand to admit their share in the shortcomings and recommit themselves to supporting one another in doing what's necessary to get Championship results.
The valleys we encounter in sports are going to happen to every team. The true mark of a Champion is overcoming the adversity that comes our way and climbing back up that mountain.
I still 100% believe in this team. But they have to buy into the fact that a winning attitude overcomes obstacles along the way.

*Pats Twiddle on the back side* "Now get in there Champ!"

But I do know what you are saying :D

Some of these guys who are making $1 M + might be saying to themselves "This is a pretty good life I got going here, win, lose or draw, I'm getting paid." I'm not saying the Packer players lack effort, but I would much rather see positive energy being spent on the field during play and less negative energy being spent looking at refs for flags and all the negative energy that goes into the excuses and explanations after a poorly played game. For over a year now, not many of those guys look like they are having much fun out there and this has become nothing more then a J*O*B. Anyone notice even Lambeau Leaps after a TD seem to have become optional?

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They all have a hand in it, what is the obsession with blaming one guy? Rodgers is being paid to be elite. he can't be skipping over open receivers and then throwing into double coverage with regularity. Our receivers can't be dropping balls that are put on target (though that has gotten better recently). Our defense needs to get the stops when it puts itself in great position to make a stop. Coverage units need to cover. Our punter seems to be able to put the ball past 35 yards these days, so that's a positive I guess. There is so much "blame" to go around, hard to narrow it down to one guy.

But aren't the coaches paid to get them ready to play? Right now I think it's both. I think that MM and the coaches are not able to get the players mentally and emotionally ready. Is that on the coaches or the players? I have been thinking for a long time that MM does not scheme to his players. He wants the players to play to his scheme.

But it's not just that. Aaron is still looking for the long bomb and the receivers are not focused on catching the ball. Despite all the drills they went through in TC. They are just not mentally in the game...at the very least they are inconsistent.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't see a voting option for that squirrel. That Damn Squirrel! He's been watching us!! He's been messing with the team's equipment!!! He has been telling secrets to the other teams!!!! WE MUST GET THAT SQUIRREL!!!!!!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I FIND THE SQUIRREL AT FAULT FOR ALL OF THE PACKERS PROBLEMS
The squirrel is on Belichick's payroll.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But aren't the coaches paid to get them ready to play? Right now I think it's both. I think that MM and the coaches are not able to get the players mentally and emotionally ready. Is that on the coaches or the players? I have been thinking for a long time that MM does not scheme to his players. He wants the players to play to his scheme.

But it's not just that. Aaron is still looking for the long bomb and the receivers are not focused on catching the ball. Despite all the drills they went through in TC. They are just not mentally in the game...at the very least they are inconsistent.
They do, they were included in my, "they all have a hand in it". I should have clarified more. I didn't mean to make it sound like only the players.

My problem lies with trying to pin it on one guy. Yes, they've all made mistakes, replace them and the next guys will too. It's inevitable. But Ted Thompson, for all his shortcomings, which are few, has kept this team in a position for sustained success. I look thru this roster, and it's not perfect, but there are some very good players, some pretty solid players and some players with pretty good potential. It's not lack of talent.

I look at the coaches, you don't luck your way to almost a decade straight of playoff appearances, even in crappy divisions, because they've all been crappy at one point. You don't luck your way to multiple NFC championship games, a super bowl win and to the playoffs every year. They guys can coach, they aren't perfect, but they're pretty good.

But it seems that at some point or another they're all failing each other. Not terribly, but enough. Like I"ve said before, if Rodgers is on, his receivers let him down. If he's having a rough day, nobody picks him up and makes every great play they can. If the defense is on, the offense is off. If the offense is off, the defense is on. Special teams likes to let us down. Ted didn't get us 3 deep at RB and we lost our best guys right away. He gave us young talented DB's and the best ones have hardly seen the field this year after showing us all they belonged on it last year. MM is trying to get this team prepared for the tougher games to come and in turn, has fallen short in winning some of the games that needed to be won today.

None of them need to be replaced, they all need to be just a little better, or pick someone else up when they need it and everything will be alright. I don't know if they will

D

Deleted member 6794

But Ted Thompson, for all his shortcomings, which are few, has kept this team in a position for sustained success. I look thru this roster, and it's not perfect, but there are some very good players, some pretty solid players and some players with pretty good potential. It's not lack of talent.

I look at the coaches, you don't luck your way to almost a decade straight of playoff appearances, even in crappy divisions, because they've all been crappy at one point. You don't luck your way to multiple NFC championship games, a super bowl win and to the playoffs every year. They guys can coach, they aren't perfect, but they're pretty good.

None of them need to be replaced, they all need to be just a little better, or pick someone else up when they need it and everything will be alright. I don't know if they will

There's no denying that something has been wrong with the Packers over the last 20 games though. Either the team isn't that talented which would be Thompson's fault or the coaching staff isn't able to have the players perform up to their potential. Once again, if there's no significant improvement over the rest of the season change might be inevitable.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying that something has been wrong with the Packers over the last 20 games though. Either the team isn't that talented which would be Thompson's fault or the coaching staff isn't able to have the players perform up to their potential. Once again, if there's no significant improvement over the rest of the season change might be inevitable.
More and more I am seeing sportscasters point out plays that Aaron Rodgers is missing open receivers in favor of waiting and then forcing it deep etc... First it was Leroy Butler, but now I am seeing similar things from the National media on ESPN etc... I think it's time to stop blaming McCarthy or the receivers for not getting open. I have seen too many examples Where Aaron has simply not made the right decision. I don't know what has changed. I still believe that he has superior talent, but he is making bad decisions.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems they could use a "team leader" like C. Woodson or R. White. A top-shelf respected veteran player that will fire up the teammates and also dress them down the right way if needed. Frankly, I am not seeing that in any player right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Any chance TT goes and MM stays? TT is the one who constructs the team. MM coaches it.

I think IF it happens.......they make TT do the dirty deed of firing Mike and his staff....if TT doesn't want to, he probably gets jettisoned with them. The next 8 or so games may determine that.

Funny thing is and I hate saying this, because the team really hasn't played that well as a whole in a long time, but a few plays here or there in the losses to Atlanta and the Colts and we are 6-2 and talking about what we are going to have to do to beat Dallas to get to the SuperBowl.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I blame Mark Murphy. All l know is this guy meets shareholders, attends league meetings, focuses on title town district. Does this man ever hold TT accountable? While l don't want a hands on president, it would be nice if he got a bit more involved.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I blame Mark Murphy. All l know is this guy meets shareholders, attends league meetings, focuses on title town district. Does this man ever hold TT accountable? While l don't want a hands on president, it would be nice if he got a bit more involved.

Just from my perspective, Murphy seems to be doing the job as described. It isn't his responsibility to oversee day to day things when it comes to the "on the field " team/coaches/players, that is TT and the coaches job. Like the man before him, Bob Harlan, Murphy has continued to run the business side of the Green Bay Packers quite well IMO. Ultimately, it will be his decision to replace TT, if he and the executive committee decide to go in that direction, but I think you are pointing the finger at the wrong guy.

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/mark-murphy/1e6572d2-1c0e-496c-8743-9a15333aed42

Last edited:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has drafted some shall we say interesting players but he has pretty much rebuilt the entire defense and done a good job of it. He has missed on signing some stop gap players due to injury. He has the $ to do something at the rb and cb position and he refuses to do it. I still give him a pass.

MM has one of the worst looking offenses in the league. TT has given him plenty of talent and he seems to have no clue how to utilize it. He seems hell bent on running what he wants to run regardless of whether the players fit that scheme. He has no control over Rodgers who apparently has lost all respect for Mike. He also continues to employ his buddy as S&C coach despite the absurdly large number of muscle pulls.

12 has a ****** attitude and seems to have lost the respect of the team for how he handles himself around them. He forces bad throws, ignores wide open wr's, is condescending when asked about anything and he is playing like he is scared to death of being hit.

Take all of that in....process it and i come up with MM as the guy who has to go. If a new HC can be creative an use the players to maximize talent and also gets 12 back in line then you have a great football team again.

D

Deleted member 6794

More and more I am seeing sportscasters point out plays that Aaron Rodgers is missing open receivers in favor of waiting and then forcing it deep etc... First it was Leroy Butler, but now I am seeing similar things from the National media on ESPN etc... I think it's time to stop blaming McCarthy or the receivers for not getting open. I have seen too many examples Where Aaron has simply not made the right decision. I don't know what has changed. I still believe that he has superior talent, but he is making bad decisions.

Rodgers ignoring open receivers to force the deep throw has been mentioned around this forum for more than a year. It seems that it took the national media an eternity to catch up with it though.

TT has drafted some shall we say interesting players but he has pretty much rebuilt the entire defense and done a good job of it. He has missed on signing some stop gap players due to injury. He has the $ to do something at the rb and cb position and he refuses to do it. I still give him a pass.

I agree that if the offense doesn't significantly increase over the rest of the season McCarthy should be fired. I'm not convinced that Thompson has assembled an extremely talented roster though and therefore might be on his way out as well in case of the team missing the playoffs.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda forgot that TT refuses to address the TE position in any kind of stable and long term way and the TE position seems to be important for this and many offenses.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I kinda forgot that TT refuses to address the TE position in any kind of stable and long term way and the TE position seems to be important for this and many offenses.

Don't forget to include how he has dealt with the ILB position as well.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers ignoring open receivers to force the deep throw has been mentioned around this forum for more than a year. It seems that it took the national media an eternity to catch up with it though.
I agree, but it seems that while many around here have pointed it out, it seems to be relegated the status of an interesting throwaway comment before we get back to the "Fire the coaches" comments. I see it as far more important. I don't know why Rodgers is doing this, but it is costing the Packers games. I suppose you could make the argument that new coaching is needed to fix Rodgers, but I really do think that that is where the focus needs to be. I no longer believe that McCarthy's offense is ineffectual; there are just too many examples of open receivers being ignored, but if Rodgers can't seem to see them, or be convinced that he needs to throw to them, it may be time to find someone that can help him get back on track. I still think McCarthy is a good coach. I'm just not sure he can coach Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I haven't doubted MM's ability to coach a team, fans can point to bad decisions and good decisions that he has made during his tenure in GB, but at the end of the day, most have to admit that he has had a pretty successful tenure. What I am starting to wonder is if his time is just up and his methods have gotten stale with AR and other players. I think that is the question that people above MM in the organization will have to decide, "Can MM still coach this current group of players?". IMO, it really appears that at some point along the way, he lost his team and is quickly running out of time to figure out why and correct it.

Reaction score
I haven't doubted MM's ability to coach a team, fans can point to bad decisions and good decisions that he has made during his tenure in GB, but at the end of the day, most have to admit that he has had a pretty successful tenure. What I am starting to wonder is if his time is just up and his methods have gotten stale with AR and other players. I think that is the question that people above MM in the organization will have to decide, "Can MM still coach this current group of players?". IMO, it really appears that at some point along the way, he lost his team and is quickly running out of time to figure out why and correct it.
Yeah. One thing I noticed from Joe Philbins days and before was that we would often start slow the first half, only to make adjustments the second half and come out explosive the second half.
I rarely see those counter halftime adjustments and would argue that we even get worse many times.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is MM even that good of an offensive mind? He seemed like a good leader of men, good team decision maker, good motivator but scheme??? Weren't the teams he was OC for awful? I think he is a good qb coach and not really a good OC. The offense looks lost alot of the time and it takes him an eternity to make adjustments. I think the well of good offensive minds around him has dried up and now that its all on him we get this garbage product. ....and since 12 seems to hate his guts now he can't even be the qb whisperer.

Pucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson.
He controls player acquisition.
He (presumably) controls the hiring and firing of the head coach.
The Green Bay Packers Board of Directors may have some say in the latter but I believe if Thompson felt a coaching change was needed they would concur.
I just don't see Thompson making bold moves on either front.
It's time to hand Thompson a gold watch and a bus ticket and move on.
Agreed. Reggie White would never have been here if Thompson was in charge back then.

Last edited:

Pucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson.
The Green Bay Packers Board of Directors may have some say in the latter but I believe if Thompson felt a coaching change was needed they would concur.

Pucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson.

Members online

Latest posts