Who do you find at fault for the Packers problems?

Who do you find at fault for our losing ways?

• It all starts at the top with Ted (When I say draft, I don't mean beer) Thompson

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Mike and maybe other coaches not doing what we think they should do.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • The players. Where can I get a job that pays millions if I fail even though it's my bad?

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The sports drink mixologist changed the flavor to "Loser Lemon" this year.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a new sports curse since the Red Sox and now the Cubs has been broken.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A bit of him and them since football is family.

• Other: Insert your additions here with your 2 cents. Really. I could use the money.

• Total voters

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of blame being tossed around, like a football, on the blame on one guy or another or a bunch of guys.
Just thought I'd make it more cohesive to get a better idea of this and see what the majority thinks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that Thompson, McCarthy and the coaching staff as well as the players are partly to blame for the Packers struggling.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson.
He controls player acquisition.
He (presumably) controls the hiring and firing of the head coach.
The Green Bay Packers Board of Directors may have some say in the latter but I believe if Thompson felt a coaching change was needed they would concur.
I just don't see Thompson making bold moves on either front.
It's time to hand Thompson a gold watch and a bus ticket and move on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They all have a hand in it, what is the obsession with blaming one guy? Rodgers is being paid to be elite. he can't be skipping over open receivers and then throwing into double coverage with regularity. Our receivers can't be dropping balls that are put on target (though that has gotten better recently). Our defense needs to get the stops when it puts itself in great position to make a stop. Coverage units need to cover. Our punter seems to be able to put the ball past 35 yards these days, so that's a positive I guess. There is so much "blame" to go around, hard to narrow it down to one guy.

Sky King

Reaction score
...There is so much "blame" to go around, hard to narrow it down to one guy.
Perhaps. Here's how I see it: Thompson chooses the HC and, in turn, he chooses his staff. Everyone in the organization surely must understand that in order to make things work as designed the coaches must develop genuine talent that's brought into the locker room -- those rough edges may need polishing and then some.

If that talent "underachieves" then it may have been overestimated by the GM or it is not being developed adequately by the coaching staff. Which leads to a very sobering thought regarding the future of this team: What if the current players that have been drafted or acquired as free-agents lean more towards being mediocre than of actually being adequately talented enough for development? The GM would be accountable for that, as well as the Sitton non-trade fiasco last Summer. Some might say he's losing it. It's also worth noting that the two most prolific defensive players in recent years came to the team as free-agents. One is already in the HOF and the other is likely to be a shoo-in for it. The 2016 team lacks playmakers, and those two were definitely playmakers.

Last season the offense's coaching hierarchy was also a hot mess, as were the results they produced. It may have carried over into this year, as well. Good luck trying to create a functional organizational chart of the (current) offensive coaching staff based upon their titles and (implied) responsibilities. (See: Clements and Bennett) The HC is accountable for the performance of his staff and they are responsible for the performance of their players, such as first transforming a future HOF player into a (current) HOO player (Hall of Ordinary).

At this point I would say it's a toss-up between the GM and HC being most responsible for what we now see, although both may lost a step themselves over time. This last half of the season will go a long way towards determining how much responsibility each must bear for the 2016 season results. For me, personally, the jury is still out.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps. Here's how I see it: Thompson chooses the HC and, in turn, he chooses his staff. Everyone in the organization surely must understand that in order to make things work as designed the coaches must develop genuine talent that's brought into the locker room -- those rough edges may need polishing and then some.

If that talent "underachieves" then it may have been overestimated by the GM or it is not being developed adequately by the coaching staff. Which leads to a very sobering thought regarding the future of this team: What if the current players that have been drafted or acquired as free-agents lean more towards being mediocre than of actually being adequately talented enough for development? The GM would be accountable for that, as well as the Sitton non-trade fiasco last Summer. Some might say he's losing it. It's also worth noting that the two most prolific defensive players in recent years came to the team as free-agents. One is already in the HOF and the other is likely to be a shoo-in for it. The 2016 team lacks playmakers, and those two were definitely playmakers.

Last season the offense's coaching hierarchy was also a hot mess, as were the results they produced. It may have carried over into this year, as well. Good luck trying to create a functional organizational chart of the (current) offensive coaching staff based upon their titles and (implied) responsibilities. (See: Clements and Bennett) The HC is accountable for the performance of his staff and they are responsible for the performance of their players, such as first transforming a future HOF player into a (current) HOO player (Hall of Ordinary).

At this point I would say it's a toss-up between the GM and HC being most responsible for what we now see, although both may lost a step themselves over time. This last half of the season will go a long way towards determining how much responsibility each must bear for the 2016 season results. For me, personally, the jury is still out.

Great write up. I agree with you. Right now I'm leaning towards TT's inability to get adequate players. He doesn't address the teams needs at all. Example of many right now. We've known we needed a RB for about a month now. We traded for a 3rd stringer and released him 2 weeks later. That just tells you he didn't do his homework. Now he uses a scapegoat and brings up a FB? How does that even make any sense?

The overhype of these receivers is incredible. Even Jordy, he definitely has lost a step. The big difference about these guys is that they don't fight to get open and they don't fight for YAC.

Sometimes you need to make a trade or pick up a free agent that will make a difference.

The thing I blame McCarthy for is that the man is delusional and holds on to people way too long. How in the hell is Capers still a Coordinator. I bet no one other team would pick him up as a coordinator. And maybe actually acquiring coaches that are proven or maybe he feels threatened. He is very reactive instead of being proactive. That's what makes a great coach.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a collective effort. The players need to hold themselves accountable - they are professionals, and if they don't have "juice" or "energy" on gameday, that's on them.

I think this coaching staff could do a better job generally, especially when it comes to things like clock management, and creativity on offense. The Packers often (not always, but often) look predictable on offense, and far too often they try to force the ball to Jordy whether he's covered or not. Other teams know it and gameplan accordingly.

I think Ted has put a lot of talent on this roster, but was slow to react when we didn't have a healthy running back. Having a third back on this roster back in week one could have alleviated a lot those problems. Later in the season when other teams are scrambling to sign a veteran running back due to injury, the talent pool becomes diluted, and the Pack is left with options like Joique Bell and Knile Davis. Not impressive.

And the quarterback needs to play better. The good news is, he's very capable of that.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They all have a hand in it, what is the obsession with blaming one guy? Rodgers is being paid to be elite. he can't be skipping over open receivers and then throwing into double coverage with regularity. Our receivers can't be dropping balls that are put on target (though that has gotten better recently). Our defense needs to get the stops when it puts itself in great position to make a stop. Coverage units need to cover. Our punter seems to be able to put the ball past 35 yards these days, so that's a positive I guess. There is so much "blame" to go around, hard to narrow it down to one guy.
Did you notice and look over the survey choices?
I do have "The players" on there so it looks like that would be your vote?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think the talent level of the team is adequate enough to contend on both sides of the ball.

We do however need some sort of threat in the backfield. A healthy Starks might suffice, but mostly we need to be in 4 and 5 wide sets with one guy in the back field. Spread everyone out and let Rodgers go to work. But why do we always send everyone 10 yards down the field? Where are the rub routes? Quick Slants? Quick Outs? Screens? Pick plays? Are these things beneath the dignity of McCarthy to instill and utilize in this offense? That's why Tom Brady has remained elite at age 39. He has a coach that plays to his strengths, and supplements for the fact that he has aged.

We cannot expect our 32 year old, future HOF quarterback to be Aaron Rodgers the great every single time he steps on the field. We just can't. He's only going to get older. He needs help from the scheme, he needs help from his receivers to consistently gain separation. When everyone is running a deep route and the opposing team is playing press man coverage and your receivers can't gain separation, your quarterback isn't going to be consistently great. I don't care what quarterback in the history of the NFL you want to put in that situation, it just won't work.

So offensively, I just think that schematically we need to make some major changes to supplement the aging of Rodgers, and the reality that our receivers just aren't that damn good like McCarthy seems to think they are. We don't have a deep threat (well, Trevor Davis, but he's not going to see the field consistently) and Jordy isn't 100% back. Opposing defenses fear no one on our receiving core.

And then take into consideration the lack of any legitimate tight end production whatsoever.

The only issue with this is that I don't believe McCarthy is going to implement the changes needed, however I do believe that just on #12 alone we're going to put ourselves in a position to possibly win this division, so everything will probably remain status quo.

But at some point, Ted Thompson and the powers that be are going to have to make a tough decision. Because we are wasting one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the NFL. And it's a damn shame.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think the injuries to the secondary have been devastating and hinders Capers on some his play calling and what the defense can do.

On offense I think it's primarily a "system fail" on MM. IMO there is enough talent on this offense to be very productive. Cook and Starks will be back soon so well see. I think with the personnel this offense has the best way to use it is spread it out and go with shorter drops and getting the ball out. It seems they had started to do that(Chicago Game) but then kinda went back to some more power formations at times against the Colts. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Why not use scheme that allows you to put the best players you have on the field?

The only thing I can come up with is maybe MM is managing the roster to be healthy for the playoffs but at this rate there will be no playoffs. I am pretty disappointed but remain hopeful.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you notice and look over the survey choices?
I do have "The players" on there so it looks like that would be your vote?
No, because I'd say the coaches shoulder some blame too. I didn't see an all of the above

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT then MM. MM ability to re-adjust his game plan in game is totally shot. I don't know if its Ego or he's dumb. Its almost like hes doing it on purpose, I think the team is also tired of his S.O.S and now your seeing and hearing that the energy of this team is very low. Both needs to go in my eyes. Can the pack get Cowher?? plzzzz

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see a voting option for that squirrel. That Damn Squirrel! He's been watching us!! He's been messing with the team's equipment!!! He has been telling secrets to the other teams!!!! WE MUST GET THAT SQUIRREL!!!!!!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I FIND THE SQUIRREL AT FAULT FOR ALL OF THE PACKERS PROBLEMS

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the blame goes equally to Thompson & McCarthy. I'd like to say the players need to step up and play better but I'm starting to realize this is not as talented a roster as we thought it was. And that is squarely on Ted. Mike gets the blame for being to stubborn and refusing to change his ways. The deep passing game that was successful a few years ago does not work with this group. You need to adapt to the true west coast offense using the short passing game. His game plans week in and week out do not work. Adjustments are never made until its to late. We see the same mistakes week in and week out from the defense. Miscommunication s in the secondary. Never making the key stop when needed. How long is Mike going to keep Capers around?

I'd like to see changes in both HC & GM but I highly doubt that will happen. Mike will probably be the fall guy if this season continues to crumble.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that they haven't filled up the skills positions with adequate top tier talent. Our QB is great, no problems there. HB after how many years we still have questions with Lacy, whether it be durability or weight issues. FB is alright. Not as reliable as Kuhn but hopefully that gets better with time. WR is alright, just need more consistency. TE I think we wanted more from Cook and where is Rodgers. I understand he is slow as molasses but isn't he decent at blocking? Our O-Line is pretty good. I was second guessing the last second Sitton releasing and the big money for Bahk, but they've played quite well. Another thing that makes them look good is how shifty ARod is but that might incite more flags as he changes position, the line has to get re-set up or risk flags. Our run defense has been stout but can we please get a pass rush. Special Teams is also diabolical. For years, we've known what the problem is and they keep getting stop gaps and it's just proving to not work.

Another big thing is either the play calling is stale or the players have kinda checked out on the coach. Probably still a good coach, but some new blood might be good. Who knows.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is for all you MM apologist...

I'm disappointed that he hasn't adjusted his offense to try to beat what every defense does against us. Tight man with safety's over the top can be beaten at least two ways. One is to establish the running game and move one or both safeties up to try and stop the run. That's the approach he took during the off-season. It still means your receivers have to beat man coverage, but they would not have as much safety help, allowing Rodgers to find the man without safety help.

It doesn't appear that he worked very ******* Plan B. This would be needed if the run game couldn't bring the defense out of its 2 deep shell. Like maybe when one or both of your RBs get hurt and you have to play journeymen at RB, or if you can't run on the team you're playing. Plan B might involve playing stacked receivers on one side and running pick plays to get them open, or spreading 5 fast WRs and making the defense counter by removing their LBs and either putting safeties or back-up CBs on the receivers, or by having a TE that can work the middle between the 2 safeties. Our lack of decent TE talent makes the third option moot, but we very sporadically use either of the first two options. We are usually content with banging our head against 2 deep with 3 WRs, a TE, and a RB, running ISO routes getting smothered by the safeties and praying that someone breaks loose after 6 seconds of holding the ball.

We won't improve our running attack with our RB situation, so that means we need a complete change in our offensive philosophy that I don't think our coach is willing to make because it means the end of the 2014 quick strike attack. My feeling is that AR doesn't really want to change either. We've seen spurts of the **** and dunk, but it's never lasted much more than a half, and they usually revert right back to their preferred offense. In my opinion, this is why we struggle so much to have a complete offensive game. If our coach doesn't recognize what most of the team's fans see, it will be tough for him to go on the win streak he needs to keep from putting his job in jeopardy.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT then MM. MM ability to re-adjust his game plan in game is totally shot. I don't know if its Ego or he's dumb. Its almost like hes doing it on purpose, I think the team is also tired of his S.O.S and now your seeing and hearing that the energy of this team is very low. Both needs to go in my eyes. Can the pack get Cowher?? plzzzz

I'd rather have Gruden personally. But I'd take Cowher over MM any day of the week.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see a voting option for that squirrel. That Damn Squirrel! He's been watching us!! He's been messing with the team's equipment!!! He has been telling secrets to the other teams!!!! WE MUST GET THAT SQUIRREL!!!!!!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I FIND THE SQUIRREL AT FAULT FOR ALL OF THE PACKERS PROBLEMS
That would be:
Other: Insert your additions here with your 2 cents. Really. I could use the money.

So now you owe me 2 cents. I'll take it in trade for any Packers gear. That should buy about 1 square centimeter of green fabric on a jersey or hat.
Sold!

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Ted has put a lot of talent on this roster, but was slow to react when we didn't have a healthy running back.

Thompson was extremely slow to address the safety, inside linebacker, tight end and running back position in the past because he mostly uses the draft only to address positions of need. It has come back to haunt the Packers on multiple occasions.

Both needs to go in my eyes. Can the pack get Cowher?? plzzzz

I would like posters to come up with more realistic suggestions as Cowher hasn't shown any intention of coaching again since having retired 10 years ago.

TE I think we wanted more from Cook and where is Rodgers. I understand he is slow as molasses but isn't he decent at blocking?

Rodgers isn't a decent blocker either.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like posters to come up with more realistic suggestions as Cowher hasn't shown any intention of coaching again since having retired 10 years ago.
How do you know its not realistic?? You never know, the Packers organization is an Historic one, anything can happen. I would appreciate if you stop being so negative replying to my comments. I disagree with some things you say, I also agree with some things you say but Im not being petty about it and nit picking. Almost everything I post you have something negative to say. #ComeOnMan

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far the majority are blaming the brass.
That would make sense since it all starts with Ted needing to find the talent and the number one way he does is through the draft.
Time he started looking at seasoned veterans who have the experience from playing for a few years.
Why this need to keep on getting rookies with 0 NFL experience all the time? It isn't working. Time to change it up and find something that is a more proven formula that does work that other SB winning teams do.

Members online

Latest posts