Who do you find at fault for the Packers problems?

Who do you find at fault for our losing ways?

• It all starts at the top with Ted (When I say draft, I don't mean beer) Thompson

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Mike and maybe other coaches not doing what we think they should do.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • The players. Where can I get a job that pays millions if I fail even though it's my bad?

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The sports drink mixologist changed the flavor to "Loser Lemon" this year.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a new sports curse since the Red Sox and now the Cubs has been broken.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A bit of him and them since football is family.

• Other: Insert your additions here with your 2 cents. Really. I could use the money.

• Total voters

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it difficult to pin fault on any one person or group of persons. A team is the sum of it's parts....players, coaches and administrators. It's not easy for every one to be a top performer all the time. As far as the players are concearned....there is a massive amounts of injuries this year. Some times I blame MM for lacking inovation....determined to have a running game when there is none. As for TT, he is constrained by the salary cap and I think the talent is already there.

In retrospect I would also like to add this. The Packers have only had two losing seasons since 1992. They have the third highest winning percentage lifetime in the NFL. Surly I think all the years of Favre and Rodgers should have produced more than SB trophys, but then again I'm glad I'm not a Bears or Lions fan.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That sounds like you are including everybody. Who else is there ? Murphy and the cheerleaders ?

Don't forget the squirrel!

While I think there is enough "blame" to go around for the way the Packers have performed/underperformed, you really have to go to the top of the chain of command when it's this widespread, you don't fire 53 players. I'm going to temporarily give Murphy a pass, since he doesn't make every day football decisions and he seems to be doing a good job of what he is asked to do. So that ultimately leaves TT and/or MM and his staff. The next 8 or so games, will determine how many of those guys are still in GB beyond this season.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

There`s a guy who runs one of the food and drink stands at Lambeau. I blame him entirely.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That sounds like you are including everybody. Who else is there ? Murphy and the cheerleaders ?

I find it very difficult NOT to blame the Cheerleaders! :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sky King

Reaction score
Is McCarthy being given chicken or chicken "stuff" to work with? Who's the underachiever, TT or McCarthy? The next eight games should better help to determine who may be most responsible for the mediocrity we've seen play out over the past 20 games, or so. There may and probably are more than one person(s) who could be responsible for this decline.

It may also be a clue that Rodgers' play has dropped-off significantly during that time frame. Could that imply that McCarthy should be the one accountable? He and/or his QB seem determined to relive past glory with their persistence in playing for the formerly successful long ball despite instead of taking what is (and has been) there for the taking. Is MM losing control of his former MVP QB or is Rodgers' most recent poor decision-making an indication of his own growing arrogance and defiance of his HC? Is he becoming a coach-killer that has become too proud to take direction from McCarthy?

The synergy within this organization has been "off" for some time now. Why they continue to struggle remains a mystery. Hopefully, the next eight games will provide some clarity. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is McCarthy being given chicken or chicken "stuff" to work with? Who's the underachiever, TT or McCarthy? The next eight games should better help to determine who may be most responsible for the mediocrity we've seen play out over the past 20 games, or so. There may and probably are more than one person who could be responsible for this decline.

It may also be a clue that Rodgers' play has dropped-off significantly during that time frame. Could that imply that McCarthy should be the one accountable? He and/or his QB seem determined to relive past glory with their persistence in playing for the formerly successful long ball despite instead of taking what is (and has been) there for the taking. Is MM losing control of his former MVP QB or is Rodgers' most recent poor decision-making an indication of his own growing arrogance and defiance of his HC? Is he becoming a coach-killer that has become too proud to take direction from McCarthy?

The synergy within this organization has been "off" for some time now. Why they continue to struggle remains a mystery. Hopefully, the next eight games will provide some clarity. Stay tuned...

I'm not one to blame Rodgers. Maybe the WR talent has declined. One thing is obvious.....Rodgers drops back....has great protection from the O line and yet has difficulty finding someone open. I tend to think it's the WR's who are not getting open. Is Rodgers missing open receivers ? I don't think so.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because this whole thing has gone stale. They have no answers, the team has no direction or identity, which is a pretty sad sate of affairs considering TT has been here 12 seasons and MM 11. The team lives under a self imposed glass ceiling in which there is no improvement; they are a 2nd tier team, and it won't change or get better under a regime that won't change.
It's TT will fix it in the draft, and MM will get it fixed after looking at the tape.
Time for change.
That's a 'Readers Digest' version because I don't have the time today or this week, but believe me, I can go a lot longer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is McCarthy being given chicken or chicken "stuff" to work with? Who's the underachiever, TT or McCarthy? The next eight games should better help to determine who may be most responsible for the mediocrity we've seen play out over the past 20 games, or so. There may and probably are more than one person who could be responsible for this decline.

Pretty good summary of how I feel as well. The fact that you have all 3 units (Offense, Defense and Special Teams) struggling to be consistent makes me want to think this it is a coaching issue. Maybe not just MM's coaching, but he is in charge of all the coaches. It's been pointed out by me and numerous other posters that they whole coaching hierarchy on offense has been a Clusterf**k since last year. I get that they didn't want to lose some of those coaches, but I get the feeling that in doing what they did by retaining them all, they have way too many cooks in a kitchen, a kitchen that already has a Master Chef (MM) that likes to run the show.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because this whole thing has gone stale. They have no answers, the team has no direction or identity, which is a pretty sad sate of affairs considering TT has been here 12 seasons and MM 11. The team lives under a self imposed glass ceiling in which there is no improvement; they are a 2nd tier team, and it won't change or get better under a regime that won't change.
It's TT will fix it in the draft, and MM will get it fixed after looking at the tape.
Time for change.
That's a 'Readers Digest' version because I don't have the time today or this week, but believe me, I can go a lot longer.

Many are quick to blame MM and TT but, I would like to know what exactly they are doing wrong.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not one to blame Rodgers. Maybe the WR talent has declined. One thing is obvious.....Rodgers drops back....has great protection from the O line and yet has difficulty finding someone open. I tend to think it's the WR's who are not getting open. Is Rodgers missing open receivers ? I don't think so.

Rodgers IS missing out on finding open WR's at times, this has been shown numerous times by Leroy Butler's "chalk talk" and other media postings. He is also missing open receivers when he has thrown to them. But I haven't thought that much of our WR group for awhile now, or at least I have thought that it is over rated. So it isn't helping Rodgers state of mind when he doesn't have confidence who he is throwing to or quite possibly, confidence in who is calling the plays.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers IS missing out on finding open WR's at times, this has been shown numerous times by Leroy Butler's "chalk talk" and other media postings. He is also missing open receivers when he has thrown to them. But I haven't thought that much of our WR group for awhile now, or at least I have thought that it is over rated. So it isn't helping Rodgers state of mind when he doesn't have confidence who he is throwing to or quite possibly, confidence in who is calling the plays.
If a WR is having trouble getting open, is that all on them or maybe the secondary defense of other teams catch on to the game plan.
If that is the case then MM needs to change and be flexible during the game.
I have seen complaints that he does not adapt, as well as other coaches and TT.
It does seem to fit in with the definition of insanity of trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a WR is having trouble getting open, is that all on them or maybe the secondary defense of other teams catch on to the game plan.
If that is the case then MM needs to change and be flexible during the game.
I have seen complaints that he does not adapt, as well as other coaches and TT.
It does seem to fit in with the definition of insanity of trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

We can talk about issues with the schemes and such, but the biggest issue for the offence has been no deep passing game' which is due to no deep threat on the roster.
This WR unit has had it's talent level overestimated for too long.

Sky King

Reaction score
Try watching the most recent "5 Questions With Leroy Butler" and "X's and O's" on either the Journal-Sentinel or Packersnews websites. http://www.jsonline.com/videos/spor...ons-and-xs-and-os-with-leroy-butler/90326198/ His receivers are getting open. For reasons known only to Rodgers he is not going through his progressions. Butler and Silverstein discuss it and show you the proof. This is not the first time that they have done so this season. Aaron Rodgers is not so sacrosanct that he's above being questioned about his play.

Leroy Butler also made a very interesting remark about what may be troubling Rodgers. I'll be curious to see if you pick that up.

Last edited:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Try watching the most recent "10 Questions With Leroy Butler" and "X's and O's" on either the Journal-Sentinel or Packersnews websites. http://www.jsonline.com/videos/spor...ons-and-xs-and-os-with-leroy-butler/90326198/ His receivers are getting open. For reasons known only to Rodgers he is not going through his progressions. Butler and Silverstein discuss it and show you the proof. This is not the first time that they have done so this season. Aaron Rodgers is not so sacrosanct that he's above being questioned about his play.

Leroy Butler also made a very interesting remark about what may be troubling Rodgers. I'll be curious to see if you pick that up.

Well, I see a lot of research has been done on this topic. I'm just relating to the numerous replays where the broadcasters show no receivers getting open. I guess there is a lot more to it then what I have seen. Thanks for the URL's.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the squirrel!

While I think there is enough "blame" to go around for the way the Packers have performed/underperformed, you really have to go to the top of the chain of command when it's this widespread, you don't fire 53 players. I'm going to temporarily give Murphy a pass, since he doesn't make every day football decisions and he seems to be doing a good job of what he is asked to do. So that ultimately leaves TT and/or MM and his staff. The next 8 or so games, will determine how many of those guys are still in GB beyond this season.

All of them unfortunately. People hang on to the fact that MM/TT won a SB 7 yrs ago..and have won the very mediocre at best North a handful of times. It's only one other division I'd say that's has been as bad as the North and that's the AFC South.

D

Deleted member 6794

So far the majority are blaming the brass.
That would make sense since it all starts with Ted needing to find the talent and the number one way he does is through the draft.
Time he started looking at seasoned veterans who have the experience from playing for a few years.
Why this need to keep on getting rookies with 0 NFL experience all the time? It isn't working. Time to change it up and find something that is a more proven formula that does work that other SB winning teams do.

There's absolutely no doubt the draft is the best way to build the core of a team. Thompson should selectively use free agency to address positions of need though.

All of them unfortunately. People hang on to the fact that MM/TT won a SB 7 yrs ago..and have won the very mediocre at best North a handful of times. It's only one other division I'd say that's has been as bad as the North and that's the AFC South.

Only teams out of the AFC East and North have combined to win more games than the NFC North since 2006.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Good interview with Billick.

This line by Billick, describing what he thinks MM may be saying to himself, may have been spot on with his assessment of what has been wrong in GB for over a year

"We have to get back to fundamentals" ....."Yeah, but what if you are fundamentally wrong?"

I also liked how he questioned MM's initial response to the Packers loss to the Colts and saying "we lacked energy". Billick pointed out that this kind of response from a coach negatively rips right to the core of his players.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see MM as the offensive guru some ppl actually thinks he is. Having Bennett as a OC hasn't helped one bit either. The Packers basically run a offensive based on #12 getting outside the pocket to improvise. I need to watch all the snaps on offense this weekend...but I can guarantee you that at least 70% of the Packers big plays are where Rodgers chooses to leave the pocket to give guys time to uncover . I'm not talking about designed bootlegs or roll outs either. He's choosing to leave the pocket on purpose I'm telling you. There are about 4 times for sure that he did this last week where he had a chance to step up in the pocket but decided to bail to his right waiting on Jordy or Adams to come back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts