Whitney Mercilus

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see this guy as a role player type only if the Packers got him. Maybe 10-12 snaps a game type.

In six games this season on a team that let him go he saw 205 snaps or 52% of Texans defensive snaps. While he would see less here if Preston is healthy, if Preston cannot go and we were to sign Mercilus - there is no doubt in my mind he would be in the 20s and possibly flirting with 30 or more a game. Maybe not the first week here though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would also instantly be tied for the leading sacker on our team with Kenny Clark if he joined (3).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would also instantly be tied for the leading sacker on our team with Kenny Clark if he joined (3).
I don't think they transfer. If they do, we could take them on the first week and maybe when they crunch the numbers we will have won that game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they transfer. If they do, we could take them on the first week and maybe when they crunch the numbers we will have won that game.

LOL I'm only saying of the guys in the locker room he would have three and so would Clark this year - leaders in the room.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mercilus is a lot like the Jaylon Smith acquisition in more ways than just money. He isn't coming here to be our #1, not even arguably our #2 - Gary and Preston are those, but Whitney is instantly #3 with immense starting experience AND this year is having a pretty solid season (3 sacks already, which we have just one player with that many).

He's capable of seeing 30 snaps out the gate body wise, but it is tough to come in and go BUT edge position is arguably one of the easiest to do so in - so don't be shocked if we see him as early as Sunday folks.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you all realize that there is a list somewhere that simply has this man listed as Whitney Houston don't you.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you can say one thing. Gute is being the opposite of TT during the season, especially this one. He seems unafraid to change things up. It's hard to know if that is just his new MO based upon the "last dance" theory or if this was one of Rodgers' demands, to be active churning the roster mid-season.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you can say one thing. Gute is being the opposite of TT during the season, especially this one. He seems unafraid to change things up. It's hard to know if that is just his new MO based upon the "last dance" theory or if this was one of Rodgers' demands, to be active churning the roster mid-season.

While TT got a little extreme at the end, I suspect this is more rolling with the situation at hand.

Summers wasn't all that great and Jaylon was available on the cheap. Z is already out, Rivers(?) popped his ACL, and Preston sounds day-to-day. Mercilus is apparently available on the cheap.

Part of signing FAs is lining up needs with budget and available resources.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mercilus isn’t going to light things on fire, but the quality of depth at edge just got a lot better. Mercilus and Garvin spelling the starters is a lot better than Garvin and Hamilton.

Not too mention I have faith that any given Sunday between the two Garvin and Mercilus can limp us through Preston possibly taking less snaps due to injury.

Reaction score
I’m not sure what in what capacity he’s going to be used, but our depth is sure looking much better at LB

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not sure if it's official yet but this might be a positive move...unlike 9. the douglas move at cb worked out this weekend. hopefully he's a keeper for decent depth. maybe more.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just released by the Texans. I'm sure not subject to waivers.

He's 31, has 3 sacks on the season, and a 61.1 PFF grade.

He's not what he once was, but I still think the Packers should check in.
Good opportunity. Even if it is for a year or two. At least the Pack is trying. This rarely happened with Thompson in mid stride. Look at Peppers. He was past 30 and he gave us a few very good years. I think this signals that Z is likely done. And even if he returns he will not be 100 per cent and it could be mid-January.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good opportunity. Even if it is for a year or two. At least the Pack is trying. This rarely happened with Thompson in mid stride. Look at Peppers. He was past 30 and he gave us a few very good years. I think this signals that Z is likely done. And even if he returns he will not be 100 per cent and it could be mid-January.
Other than Z being out, I don't think it has anything to do with if he's coming back or not. I think it's more of the fact we have Gary and Garvin and who? they can't play every snap out there. He'll help stem the tide until we get preston and/or ZSmith back and then provide a nice dependable rotational player.

Reaction score
Other than Z being out, I don't think it has anything to do with if he's coming back or not. I think it's more of the fact we have Gary and Garvin and who? they can't play every snap out there. He'll help stem the tide until we get preston and/or ZSmith back and then provide a nice dependable rotational player.
I agree. We’re not going to see Z for probably what.. 3-4 games left in season best case. Likely we see him in the playoffs and there’s a slight chance possibly never.
We’ve been in need of a guy who can Rotate regular.

One thing you’ll notice is Whitney’s TFL. That’s a very good number and it speaks to him winning at the LOS. He’s had 72 TFLnin 357 total.
4 TFL in 12 (33%) Tackles this season.

Generally the mark of an aggressive downhill player is 20% in my opinion. Anything over 25% is superior. To Clark’s Defense he’s an inside DL, so they should be taking more double teams etc..

To give you a brief example of some good overall players.
Kenny Clark 261T 32TFL (11.5%)
Rashan Gary 74T 9TFL (12.2%)
P. Smith. 279T 49TFL (17.6%)
CM3 519T 130TFL (25.0%)
JJ Watt. 546T 176TFL (32.2%)
Z. Smith 227T 53TFL (23.3%)
W Mercilus 357T 72TFL (20.2%)

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the fact that he along Smith Douglas and Jaylon have plenty of experience. At crunch time that can pay dividends.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts