Whitney Mercilus

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Was just released by the Texans. I'm sure not subject to waivers.

He's 31, has 3 sacks on the season, and a 61.1 PFF grade.

He's not what he once was, but I still think the Packers should check in.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% kick them tires and it is these cheap options we HAVE to be active with this year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wonder if the Texans made a serious effort to trade him?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still has a great name for football. I think they should take a look

D

Deleted member 6794

Just for the record, Mercilus hasn't been released so far and a team could still trade for him before the Texans make it official. If acquired via trade he would count $3 million towards the cap for the rest of the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, Mercilus hasn't been released so far and a team could still trade for him before the Texans make it official. If acquired via trade he would count $3 million towards the cap for the rest of the season.

I'd give them a late pick for sure for him - we can fit him, but we'd be essentially done with moves most likely given space.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitney Mercilus would still receive his full $54M salary from Houston. So anywhere he went would just be icing on the cake. What I like about him is he's played in both a 4-3 and a 3-4 so he's got scheme versatility and that could go a long ways. I don't want to say he's interchangeable with Gary but it would give Barry some definite flexibility.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitney Mercilus would still receive his full $54M salary from Houston. So anywhere he went would just be icing on the cake. What I like about him is he's played in both a 4-3 and a 3-4 so he's got scheme versatility and that could go a long ways. I don't want to say he's interchangeable with Gary but it would give Barry some definite flexibility.
If Houston is paying his salary it would be foolish to not take a look if the Texans release him. With our injuries on D this would be a no brainer.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The biggest reason to pursue Mercilus in my mind is this:

Jonathan Garvin, Chauncey Rivers, Ladarius Hamilton, and Oren Burks in spot duty have seen about 250 snaps at OLB/ED so far this season.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Garvin has done well if you ask me.

The Hamilton signing doesn't make sense other than for emergency purposes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest reason to pursue Mercilus in my mind is this:

Jonathan Garvin, Chauncey Rivers, Ladarius Hamilton, and Oren Burks in spot duty have seen about 250 snaps at OLB/ED so far this season.

Don't forget Rivers is no longer available.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Garvin has done well if you ask me.

The Hamilton signing doesn't make sense other than for emergency purposes.

He has, relative to expectations. But the defense is way better off with him as a 4th guy on the edge rather than someone who will play 500-700 snaps from here on out.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nothing says crazy like a first name like Whitney.
He more than makes up for the "soft" first name with the greatest last name in NFL LB history. Mercilus.

Merciless - to show no mercy

Mercilus was rated a 98.7 for intimidating last name in a PFF category I just made up.

For reference, **** Buttkiss was rated at 23.1 by PFF in the same category but a 91 in the 'sounds dirty and gay' category

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here's another name that can go to either a boy or a girl...
I dare you to tell Whitney that. ;)

He was officially released this afternoon and seen boarding a plane headed straight to Green Bay.

Of course I made up that second part.....it's stopping in Chicago to fuel up first.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dare you to tell Whitney that. ;)

He was officially released this afternoon and seen boarding a plane headed straight to Green Bay.

Of course I made up that second part.....it's stopping in Chicago to fuel up first.

I sense Chiefs are where he ends up. I hope wrong and it is with us though!

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sense Chiefs are where he ends up. I hope wrong and it is with us though!
He knows he can help with pass rush as an edge rusher but does the Pack's know this and willing to pay for a guy who's name is already being mocked by the Pack fans? I mean who wants a guy where opposing fans will yell," oh look here...here comes cute Whitney Mercilus...ohhh i'm scared! What's he going to do call **** Buttkiss on us?" Or something like that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He knows he can help with pass rush as an edge rusher but does the Pack's know this and willing to pay for a guy who's name is already being mocked by the Pack fans? I mean who wants a guy where opposing fans will yell," oh look here...here comes cute Whitney Mercilus...ohhh i'm scared! What's he going to do call **** Buttkiss on us?" Or something like that.

Your posts are way too obviously trolling. Have a good one

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be clear, I'm not mocking his name. Mercilus has to be the best name in football. I'm sure he's had a joke or 2 about his first name in which he'd just remind the person of his last name and flex an eyebrow. He probably has a sense of humor too, like the boy named Sue.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I see this guy as a role player type only if the Packers got him. Maybe 10-12 snaps a game type.

Members online

Latest posts