Which You Prefer: Offense or Defense?

Reaction score
What's your favorite game when watching football, a good defensive game or
airing it out offensive game?

For you older Packer fans, anyone recall the Oct. 17, 1983: Packers 48, Washington 47…Teams combine for highest-scoring game in history of Monday Night Football, and rack up 1,025 yards...Mark Moseley misses FG as time expires.

I attended that game and went to work the next day and I couldn't talk from the cheering.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For you older Packer fans, anyone recall the Oct. 17, 1983: Packers 48, Washington 47…Teams combine for highest-scoring game in history of Monday Night Football, and rack up 1,025 yards...Mark Moseley misses FG as time expires.

I attended that game and went to work the next game and I couldn't talk from the cheering.
Could NEVER, EVER forget that one. Lynn ****ey was spectacular.

BTW, I can’t pick one over the other as I appreciate both equally.

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had just graduated from high school when that game was played. What made that game even more exciting was the fact Washington was the Defending Super Bowl champs!
I’m always more excited when the Packers have a really good defense, but both is even better. Nothing better than the way the Packers rolled through the 96 season, blowing teams out week after week:)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

I attended that game and went to work the next game and I couldn't talk from the cheering.
Waffles or pancakes?

H

HardRightEdge

Waffles or pancakes?
I think of it more as pie vs. steak.

Those trading-score games where the last team with the ball wins appeals to the sweet tooth, a sugar high while it is happening but ultimately not very satisfying. If you can point to a game where the scores are on a series of perfect passes into tight coverages with great catches, then OK, but that's not how those shootouts tend to go.

For me the protein is in a well-executed game throughout by both teams on both sides of the ball, regardless of the score, though those will tend not to be high scoring. It can't be entirely satisfying if it is a Packers game ending in a loss. ;)

I've yet to see a "protein" game this season, Packers or otherwise, or a "protein" team for that matter this season. Philly jumped out at me about this time in 2017. Nobody so far this season.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For you older Packer fans, anyone recall the Oct. 17, 1983: Packers 48, Washington 47…Teams combine for highest-scoring game in history of Monday Night Football.
A great game, but that record was broken last year when the Rams beat the Chiefs 54-51 on Monday Night Football.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
I like a fast high scoring offensive football.
That's one reason I like collage football, the game is a lot faster especially
when they do fake punts with some razzle dazzle with the football.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
Could NEVER, EVER forget that one. Lynn ****ey was spectacular.

Yep, I remember when Lynn ****ey retired, he was ask what was
his most memorable game he play with the Packers,
and he mention the Packers Washington game on Monday night.
That night every time each team had the ball, they had to score to stay in the game in four quarters...awesome.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I attended that game and went to work the next day and I couldn't talk from the cheering.

i was there too. The only game I’ve ever attended at Lambeau. I think everyone in the stadium expected Moseley to make it. He’d made 22 in a row.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That snowstorm they played in was magical too. Awesome.
That game was in Denver. October of 84 I think. Snowed more during that game than any I think I’ve ever seen. Was a great show.

Reaction score
I actually remember that one. We used to call ****ey the “zipper” because of all the operations he had. I remember him passing for like 4000+ at a time when that was very rare.

How about the 1994, Dec 31 playoff game against the Lions and holding Barry Sanders to -1 yards on 13 carries? Packers win 16-12.
I don’t know why, but I remember us holding Sanders to a -6 for the first half (which we all knew how incredible that was!)
I guess it’s been too many years, but for some reason I thought Barry ended positive.
You were right it was -1 for the day!
Incredible, especially considering he rushed for 188 yards the previous meeting.

There’s still hope for our run D this year! :whistling:

P.S. interesting tid bits. Chris Jacke’s sister used to cut my hair several years later in Virginia. I also had this ********* guy behind me intimidating me at the pay counter in a 7-eleven because I was wearing a Packer Jersey in Redskins country. It ended up being our FB William Henderson’s Brother.. Robert. :eek: :roflmao:

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensive game, steak, and pancakes in that order.

I was thinking the same as HRE but he beat me to it. Great explanation. I definitely enjored watching the Rams/Chiefs last year. I think that it's harder for fans to appreciate a good defensive game because to most casual fans, it looks like an offensive team is just sloppy. They fail to see the play on defense that is causing the problems.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That game was in Denver. October of 84 I think. Snowed more during that game than any I think I’ve ever seen. Was a great show.
No, I just recalled, it was snowing here that night. Sorry about that. I was watching at a bar in Waukesha, had a bowling alley. Dec. 1983. Couldn’t name the place if I tried.

Pretty cool win on Monday Night Football. Funny, Mark Murphy played in that game.

Man, Mike Douglas. Paul Coffman. James Lofton. Jon Jefferson. Gerry Ellis. Wow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I actually remember that one. We used to call ****ey the “zipper” because of all the operations he had. I remember him passing for like 4000+ at a time when that was very rare.

It took until Rodgers' MVP season in 2011 (4,643) to break ****ey's single season franchise record for passing yards (4,458 in 1983). Still ranks second in Packers history.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, you should play the lottery.
Lol, if you’re only going to get to see one, that was indeed a good one to be present for. Had a very good view of Moseley’s miss.
My good fortune has not extended to the lottery however.

Members online

Latest posts