Which veterans will not make final squad?

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews is like a quality defensive shortstop in baseball who gets older and moves to first base where still is athletic enough excel. In addition to still being our best OLB, he also plays better at ILB than anybody else we have. I disagree about lack of depth at OLB. Yeah, I know whoever said "proven" depth, but between Perry, Fackrell, (my favorite) Jayrone Elliot, and now Biegel, I'd say we are damn near loaded at OLB. No way he should get cut; No way he will get cut.

Matthews is an average inside linebacker at best and isn't any better than Ryan, Martinez or Thomas playing the position.

There's no reason to consider the Packers being loaded at edge rusher even with Matthews lining up there. I wouldn't feel confortable with either Elliott, Fackrell or Biegel having to start.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews is an average inside linebacker at best and isn't any better than Ryan, Martinez or Thomas playing the position.

Ok Matthews may not be a all pro ILB but he's certainly a much better option than Martinez or Ryan or Thomas. no matter how you slice it Matthews is a play maker and none of those guys ever will be. they are serviceable starters at best not plus starters they could be the starting ilb on a championship team but the team would win in spite of them not because of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ok Matthews may not be a all pro ILB but he's certainly a much better option than Martinez or Ryan or Thomas. no matter how you slice it Matthews is a play maker and none of those guys ever will be. they are serviceable starters at best not plus starters they could be the starting ilb on a championship team but the team would win in spite of them not because of them.

While none of Ryan, Martinez or Thomas are elite players by any means all of them are better suited to play inside linebacker than Clay.

FYI Ryan had the fifth highest run stop percentage of all ILB in the league last season while Matthews went two consecutive games without a single tackle playing a total of 120 snaps at the position late in 2015, something that is unheard of.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was a bit bored last night and watched the NFCCG against the Seahawks. For the most part, Matthews looked terrible at ILB. The box score shows he had 5 solo tackles and one sack, but I can't tell you how many missed tackles and how often he just seemed to be out of position. Overall, I was impressed with the defense (until the end), but Matthews looked like a one trick pony that day.....run at the QB and abandon everything else.

Reaction score
I would also agree Richard Rogers has an uphill battle. He's got reliable hands but his lack of speed on a team that seems to be focused on improving speed is a detriment to him making the 53.

Sky King

Reaction score
I would also agree Richard Rogers has an uphill battle. He's got reliable hands but his lack of speed on a team that seems to be focused on improving speed is a detriment to him making the 53.
To add to that: If he could only develop his blocking skills to be average or above his value to any team would be much greater.

That's the one that baffles me. He can't get faster but for a guy his size but you would think that he could have learned to block better by now. If he can't master blocking one has to question how long his career can go on with his reliable hands being his only true asset. If I were RR I would dedicate my life to learning how to block.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bye Goodson
Bye Gunter
Bye Guion
Bye Thomas

Janis isn't going anywhere. Not to long ago the Packers were consistently bad on special teams. You can't go releasing your best special teams guys.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the key to getting over the hump is to cut Clay Matthews in May?

More like him staying on the field and producing. An occasional big play isn't going to cut it. His salary demands him to be on the same level as Khalil Mack or Von Miller and he isn't even that close tbh. Perry as injury prone as he is has become more valuable than Clay Matthews. I'm starting to think that the guy actually was on PEDS.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews needs to get his grove back. He isnt performing nearly as well has his contract would let on. If Mathews can get back on track we be great then.
Matthews need to stay healthy. He goes real hard and ends up with some injury, then he's held out of practice and gets limited snaps in games.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bye Goodson
Bye Gunter
Bye Guion
Bye Thomas

Janis isn't going anywhere. Not to long ago the Packers were consistently bad on special teams. You can't go releasing your best special teams guys.
I'm guessing Gunter sticks around.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More like him staying on the field and producing. An occasional big play isn't going to cut it. His salary demands him to be on the same level as Khalil Mack or Von Miller and he isn't even that close tbh. Perry as injury prone as he is has become more valuable than Clay Matthews. I'm starting to think that the guy actually was on PEDS.
EXACTLY how I feel, couldn't have said it better myself. Someone mentioned that NFC championship game against the Seattle....where was Matthews when the game was on the line in that one????? On the sidelines spectating. Someone also mentioned he is the face of the packers defense or something along that line, well being the face of a defense that regularly finishes near the bottom of the NFL in most statistical categories is not exactly what I would consider being a claim to fame.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bye Goodson
Bye Gunter
Bye Guion
Bye Thomas

Why would gunter be gone? King, Randall, Rollins, House makes 4 shoe ins, id have to think we keep 5 or even 6 and nobody has a better track for that spot than gunter. I'd feel monumentally more comfortable with gunter as my 5th cb than him as our number 1 like last season. The experience he gained last season coving guys like Julio should pay dividends with him further down the depth chart and I don't think we can get a better 5th cb than him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why would gunter be gone? King, Randall, Rollins, House makes 4 shoe ins, id have to think we keep 5 or even 6 and nobody has a better track for that spot than gunter. I'd feel monumentally more comfortable with gunter as my 5th cb than him as our number 1 like last season. The experience he gained last season coving guys like Julio should pay dividends with him further down the depth chart and I don't think we can get a better 5th cb than him.

I'm not saying Gunter can't make it as the 5th guy, but at that point in the depth chart the he might get beaten out based on the upside of a younger, more talented player or even ST ability.

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews need to stay healthy. He goes real hard and ends up with some injury, then he's held out of practice and gets limited snaps in games.

Unfortunately Matthews has mostly been ineffective when healthy as well.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter is not going anywhere considering he was our starting CB1 for 2016.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter is not going anywhere considering he was our starting CB1 for 2016.
He was a starter by attrition. I like the guy, he works hard and will have a spot on a team, most likely down at the bottom of the depth chart though. Those guys can be replaced at anytime

Will Whittaker went from starter to unemployment line in a season and Marshall Newhouse was a lot more recent. Proof you can start one year and be gone the next when your job is earned thru injury

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Janis to make the final roster solely based on his special teams play regardless of how many and which receivers make it to the 53.

Could be, McCarthy does place a good deal of emphasis on ST play. Jarrett Bush mad a career of it in Green Bay.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked if Janis were to be cut - There will be a lot of good camp battles this year, perhaps more so than in past seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

Could be, McCarthy does place a good deal of emphasis on ST play. Jarrett Bush mad a career of it in Green Bay.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked if Janis were to be cut - There will be a lot of good camp battles this year, perhaps more so than in past seasons.

I agree that I wouldn't be shocked if Janis gets released before the start of the season but don't expect it to happen.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks elcid - now you've got me agreeing with Mondio. :)
Hahaha well I do strive to keep people from being anchored in their own beliefs so I guess you're welcome. Still, there is no way both Goodson and Gunter will leave considering our messy CB situation, and if one of the two is to go, it ain't gonna be Gunter

D

Deleted member 6794

Hahaha well I do strive to keep people from being anchored in their own beliefs so I guess you're welcome. Still, there is no way both Goodson and Gunter will leave considering our messy CB situation, and if one of the two is to go, it ain't gonna be Gunter

I'm convinced that King, House, Randall and Rollins make the final roster. That means Gunter, Goodson and the rest of the cornerbacks on the roster will fight for either one or two spots on the team.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Experience!? The only thing he experienced was getting toasted every other play. Gunter is not an NFL corner... hate to break it to his followers. His lack of speed and instincts just don't warrant a spot on the active roster. You need to go with a faster and more athletic guy like Hawkins, Dorleant or Waters. I never thought I'd want to see a person in the game less than Barclay until Gunter came along. Not to mention you can put any of the three on special teams.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced that King, House, Randall and Rollins make the final roster. That means Gunter, Goodson and the rest of the cornerbacks on the roster will fight for either one or two spots on the team.

I agree. As I mentioned in an earlier post give that fifth spot to Hawkins, Waters, or Dorleant. Unless Gunter just kills it in camp and the pre season which I highly doubt. For his sake I hope he spent the entire off season working on his speed!! Everyday!!

Members online

No members online now.