Which Two Wide Outs do we want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Former James Jones talks about the 3 WR's that the Packers drafted.

Spoiler alert, he says Watson reminds him of Jordy Nelson, Doubs is another Greg Jennings and Tore reminds JJ of....himself.

Reaction score
Speaking of Wideouts. We are again witnesses to why it’s not wise to put all your eggs in 1 basket. That’s a dangerous philosophy.

This is just a touch of the full array of reasons that make over investing in 1 entity a risky choice.

2021 was the lowest output of his career. His injury riddled season is taking him past his 30th birthday.
He will have no chance to play until at least week 7.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Speaking of Wideouts. We are again witnesses to why it’s not wise to put all your eggs in 1 basket. That’s a dangerous philosophy.

This is just a touch of the full array of reasons that make over investing in 1 entity a risky choice.

2021 was the lowest output of his career. His injury riddled season is taking him past his 30th birthday.
He will have no chance to play until at least week 7.
This was one of my concerns with paying Adams, not the PED issue, but injuries and over relying on 1 player in both salary and production. I know, the Packers are great when Adams doesn't play, but I would rather if he isn't playing, he isn't getting paid by the Packers.

Reaction score
This was one of my concerns with paying Adams, not the PED issue, but injuries and over relying on 1 player in both salary and production. I know, the Packers are great when Adams doesn't play, but I would rather if he isn't playing, he isn't getting paid by the Packers.
Yeah. Time and time again we see one of the sports great players go down or out for whatever reason. It’s becoming more and more rare for the non QB position to not miss substantial time. Mack, Hopkins, Watt, Mcaffrey, Bakhtiari, etc.. the list is endless.
It’s not as much an indictment on the player (I’m certainly not blaming a player for injury or non intentional things that cause missing time) as much as it is on each teams poor and unbalanced designation of resources. You don’t need a degree in Risk Management to see the impact of poor Capital utilization threaded throughout much of the league

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think people will be eating crow when we look at WR room yardages at the end of the year. Rodgers is going to be productive and yes with whatever WRs we have out there.
Needless to say, I hope that you are correct on Rodgers being productive. However, that might not mean that the Packers WR room is all that good, but more of a reflection on how good Rodgers is.

Hard to argue that currently, the Packers WR room is anything but totally unproven as a unit. Let's hope it all comes together.

Could be worse, ESB is listed as the Bears #2. :roflmao: I also think that the Jags group is better than 3rd worse. I guess like any predictions. we will see when they actually play games.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d rather have two receivers who are in the top-30 of the best receivers in the league (but neither in the top-15) over having one receiver in the top-5 but nobody else in the top-50.

By receiver I’m also including tight ends.

D

Deleted member 6794

No real surprise with this opinion:

I'm surprised they found four receiving corps worse than the Packers'.

I’d rather have two receivers who are in the top-30 of the best receivers in the league (but neither in the top-15) over having one receiver in the top-5 but nobody else in the top-50.

While I agree with your take the Packers don't have any top 50 receiver in the league.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference between a top 50 receiver and a top 10 receiver isn't all about the receiver. More of it relies on the guy who's throwing the ball to them, and the skill levels of the other receivers they have on the field.

Without belaboring the point, why would anyone believe that someone who gets more targets wouldn't have more catches, more yardage, and yes, even potentially more TDs?

Our receiving corp will be just fine, after they feel their way into their jobs, and understand what the coaches and Rodgers expect them to do on the field, to present as good a target as possible. Rest assured, there will be separation made between those who got it, and those that don't. It won't take long.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm surprised they found four receiving corps worse than the Packers'.
I think the author of that article let each teams QB factor into his ratings. Although, I would definitely agree that the Bears, on paper, have a lower rated group than the Packers.

Reaction score
If Aaron Rodgers doesn’t miss more than 1 contest. I predict the Packers Passing game will outperform more than 1/2 of the league.

50/50 chance they break top 12 as a unit (RB, TE, WR) in passing yards.

I sincerely hope teams think we can’t pass the ball. That will suffice as an early Birthday gift for me and if opponents sell out and take that approach of loading the box on #12? expect lots of W’s each week.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I sincerely hope teams think we can’t pass the ball.
I don't think there is any question that Aaron Rodgers and the Packers can pass the ball. The question will be, can the WR's get open, catch the ball, hang on to the ball, pick up first downs, etc. I know this sounds like I am splittin' hairs, but picking up first downs, scoring TD's, knowing where to be on a scramble play, etc. are the things great WR's can do and some do it without a great QB.

Reaction score
I do like what I am hearing about Watkins and others.

I also listened to an interview with Coach Vrabel. He spoke to the fact that he thought Amari and some of the other returning Veterans had made a noticeable jump. He attributed that to them working diligently this offseason and being in tip-top condition. Also insinuated that their grasp of the playbook was much more noticeable and intentional in his first look at them in the field. Amari in particular looked different, more confident in this system than last year.

He also mentioned getting texts at 11pm at night from Doubs picking his brain on the playbook (joked about his wife wondering what was up!) lol
His impression is that this is a very hungry group of men. They are taking this winning a Roster spot very seriously.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I've been saying right along. All is well. Amari Rodgers will start to offer some help out there. Cobb will too. Expect others to step up. There will be a larger variety of targets called out than in the past. Obviously when you have someone like we did have, you go to him as much as possible.

I expect help from our rookies, and Watkins as well. Don't be surprised if the Packers throw for nearly as many yards as they did last year. It could even be more. It depends on how well the running game is working.

Reaction score
Like I've been saying right along. All is well. Amari Rodgers will start to offer some help out there. Cobb will too. Expect others to step up. There will be a larger variety of targets called out than in the past. Obviously when you have someone like we did have, you go to him as much as possible.

I expect help from our rookies, and Watkins as well. Don't be surprised if the Packers throw for nearly as many yards as they did last year. It could even be more. It depends on how well the running game is working.
Yeah. I just really feel like it’s WR by committee approach. They’ll play the hot hand at WR. Literally.

Reaction score
Found it. From Packers.com

Wide receivers/pass game coordinator Jason Vrable
On what the Packers have at receiver behind Randall Cobb and Allen Lazard:

I feel really good about the direction of the room from a competitive standpoint and just buying into what we're looking for. Right now, I've seen Malik (Taylor) and Juwann (Winfree) and Amari (Rodgers), who look night and day compared to what they did last year. I think it's all the way they worked in the offseason, the way they understand the playbook and the way they're flying around out there. It's a totally different speed. So I feel really good about them right now.”

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is any question that Aaron Rodgers and the Packers can pass the ball. The question will be, can the WR's get open, catch the ball, hang on to the ball, pick up first downs, etc. I know this sounds like I am splittin' hairs, but picking up first downs, scoring TD's, knowing where to be on a scramble play, etc. are the things great WR's can do and some do it without a great QB.
Well, with MVS and EQS both gone; we can already catch the ball better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, with MVS and EQS both gone; we can already catch the ball better.

Seriously do I have to give everyone a statistical run down or catch percentages of pure deep threat types for like the hundredth time? MVS was just slightly under the norm considering his massive ypc style.

Watkins isn’t exactly an amazing catch percentage guy but not bad either.

Watson’s only big flag on him negatively was the fact he has drop issues…

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously do I have to give everyone a statistical run down or catch percentages of pure deep threat types for like the hundredth time? MVS was just slightly under the norm considering his massive ypc style.

Watkins isn’t exactly an amazing catch percentage guy but not bad either.

Watson’s only big flag on him negatively was the fact he has drop issues…
They both had trouble hanging on to the ball. Now they are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts