Which is a bigger need?

tano1998

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the 1st round....a DEFENSIVE COACH, then defense players in the entire draft....THIS D IS AWFUL, PAINFUL TO WATCH....They make guys like CROTCHERY seems like Jerry Rice...

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we want to get another LB? Don't forget we have Abdul Hodge, who has tons of talent and potential as a back-up. And also we have a good LB in Ben Taylor also sitting on the bench.

I'm pretty sure if we have a sure thing on defense, it is the linebackers.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out a safety in the first round, if Thompson can get a Roy Williams/Sean Taylor type. But once you get below the first round, you're looking at safeties who are going to take awhile to develop. So at least one free agent will be needed.

I agree with others that WR and DT are the other two biggest needs, and hopefully Thompson could snag a good RB in the fourth round or below. There are so many needs that a lot will depend on who exactly is available when the Packers make each of their picks. They will not need to make any reaches in the early rounds. Being a bad team makes drafting a lot easier.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should draft offense and FA defense. We are not going to win games improving our offense and still allowing 30 point games on us. We could draft a CB for the future replacement of Al Harris. Maybe a DT to help the pass rush. But for immediate help to make a run on the playoffs next year, we need a new FA safety. I dont think i am alone in saying it hurts to watch those big pass plays up the middle, over....and over...and over again.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should draft offense and FA defense. We are not going to win games improving our offense and still allowing 30 point games on us. We could draft a CB for the future replacement of Al Harris. Maybe a DT to help the pass rush. But for immediate help to make a run on the playoffs next year, we need a new FA safety. I dont think i am alone in saying it hurts to watch those big pass plays up the middle, over....and over...and over again.

Will Blackmon

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Why would we want to get another LB? Don't forget we have Abdul Hodge

Oh you didnt hear? he had a not so good game in his starting debut, so he sucks, and will always suck. So he has to be replaced ASAP!

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh you didnt hear? he had a not so good game in his starting debut, so he sucks, and will always suck. So he has to be replaced ASAP!

I bet it was an "article." The same "article" that says McCarthy is the worst coach in the NFL and should be fired.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like this approach as well. I'd like to see us add Justin Smith to replace KGB at DE. I'd like to see Alan Branch maybe in round 1 if AP or Calvin Johnson are off the board. I'd like to see the Pack go out and sign a marquee safety as well.

Then again it's not our call but they (As in Packers front office) need to stop putting a band aide over a gun shot wound.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its going to depend on Favre. If he's back it would probably help most to strengthen offense primarily through WR. Further if Clifton isnt retained as some of us suspect then LT is going to become a primary need.

If Favre isnt back then it probably makes the most sense to strengthen and build around the defense if only untill Favre's successor is identified and established.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its going to depend on Favre. If he's back it would probably help most to strengthen offense primarily through WR. Further if Clifton isnt retained as some of us suspect then LT is going to become a primary need.

If Favre isnt back then it probably makes the most sense to strengthen and build around the defense if only untill Favre's successor is identified and established.

I think no matter what they need to help the Defense more than the offense. I think once GB gets Robinson back and finds a RB it'll do a lot more for the offense and Favre than most would expect.

With that said it wouldn't matter at all as long as we had a Defense that played like this. They need to stop some people and to do that they need some good experience young players instead of rookies.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No question we need at least one safety. But first of all, we need a run stopping DE for KGB. Now if a team needs to gain yardage on the ground, they run to their left side and right through KGB. It's a sure gainer. That's what killed us in SBXXXII. You can't cover up a weak DE.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st priority is DL.
2nd priority is DL.

As I see it right now Kampman is the only guy that could start on any other team in our division...and he may not get the nod in Chicago.

If this Brady is that good than get him. A rookie DL can hold his own if he's the real deal.

KGB has to go. Look, if Kampman and Pickett are the best we have than we need to get two guys better than both those guys. Bring Brady on and get a real DE thru FA.

I see it this way. Other than Manuel the guys behind the DL can play. If we had Detroits, Chicago's, or Minny's DL would these guys behind them not be a lot better out there?

Getting a Safety is putting the cart in front of the horse. An All Pro Safety behind a line that can't produce pressure becomes a mediocre player.

A defense that doesn't hold up completely changes what the offense does and it's effectiveness. Teams just boil over onto the offense when they have a nice lead putting the offense at a great disadvantage.

I would like to think Underwood could be a great help at Safety, K-Rob back at #3, and Green running the ball behind a more experienced line next year.

This would allow us to concentrate on the DL first, and second, and get another WR in here that causes defenses to play us straight up and not allow them to take Driver out of the game.

With a real experienced DC running the show this should be all he needs to make it work a hell of a lot better than what we have seen.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What say you?

I say we get an impact player on offence
my top players
1. Brady Quinn
2. Adrian Peterson
3. DuWayne Jarret
4. Troy Smith

What ever guy is left when the Packers Pick, that's who i'd select

I think the top 3 will be gone and the Packers will take Troy Smith

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:
What say you?

my top players
1. Brady Quinn
2. Adrian Peterson
3. DuWayne Jarret
4. Troy Smith

Smith won't go in the top 10 and GB will be picking in the top 10. Maybe in round 2 though since that's where he's likely going to go.

I looked up the current Draft order and we pick #5 currently and would have a legit shot at AP as the 4 teams ahead of us probably wouldn't go with him. Houston would be at #7 right now.

Jarrett will easily be on the board at #5 as well. Depends on where we finish but likely hood top 10 so Jarrett would be realistic. Smith in the top 10 just won't happen.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Packersfan43084 said:
What say you?

my top players
1. Brady Quinn
2. Adrian Peterson
3. DuWayne Jarret
4. Troy Smith

Smith won't go in the top 10 and GB will be picking in the top 10. Maybe in round 2 though since that's where he's likely going to go.

I looked up the current Draft order and we pick #5 currently and would have a legit shot at AP as the 4 teams ahead of us probably wouldn't go with him. Houston would be at #7 right now.

Jarrett will easily be on the board at #5 as well. Depends on where we finish but likely hood top 10 so Jarrett would be realistic. Smith in the top 10 just won't happen.

Jarret or Peterson would be great. I like Troy Smith b/c he is a big strong mobile QB. He is a greta leader, plays great in big games, and he has a awesome attitude. he is definetly packer material. TT may trade down, select Troy, and pick up some extra pics in latter rounds.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
Packersfan43084 said:
What say you?

my top players
1. Brady Quinn
2. Adrian Peterson
3. DuWayne Jarret
4. Troy Smith

Jarret or Peterson would be great. I like Troy Smith b/c he is a big strong mobile QB. He is a greta leader, plays great in big games, and he has a awesome attitude. he is definetly packer material. TT may trade down, select Troy, and pick up some extra pics in latter rounds.

Smith isn't big. He's small (6 foot maybe) and that's his biggest problem. His arm strength is in question as well. Throws a nice ball but not always the most accurate. Speed is good but not special. State runs a lot of 4 and 5 WR sets and in the NFL that's not a very common formation. Also factor in he likes to roll out and the game is faster in the NFL so he won't be able to roll out every play. Didn't work to well for Jake Plummer. At best most hink he'll be a Drew Brees which would be great but Brees went in the 2nd round.

I think GB is better off picking in the top 10 and maybe using their 2nd round pick and moving up to late round 1 and taking him if they really like him. Personally I think he'll be a good player but it's not my call. He's already being picked apart by scouts and his Draft Status will depend on his pro day. Has a good pro day he might be able to move up to late round 1. Bad pro day could drop to round 3 even. He'll need to play in the Senior Bowl as well. Combine and as stated Pro Day to get his stock up. Hard part is he'll have to do it all well and that's tough to do.

OP
OP
P

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

Will Blackmon

yeah ok. Blackmon hasn't done anything to prove himself. So let's not rush to say he'll be a starting CB in this league.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have to draft defense. are offense is adequate. i'd go with branch or that louisville dt, the 19 year old, in the first. reggie nelson from FL in the second. the third round we could get a good receiver or a left tackle. in FA we get rod hood from philly to play the nickel. sign simeon rice to a short term deal to help out at de and teach some players.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
My :twocents: . Id like to see Thompson draft a BIG Gilbert Brown type DT

In the later rounds of course. DL is the least position we need help with unless you're talking about someone to take KGB's spot.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
Packersfan43084 said:
What say you?

Jarret or Peterson would be great. I like Troy Smith b/c he is a big strong mobile QB. He is a great leader, plays great in big games, and he has a awesome attitude. he is definetly packer material. TT may trade down, select Troy, and pick up some extra pics in latter rounds.

I think GB is better off picking in the top 10 and maybe using their 2nd round pick and moving up to late round 1 and taking him if they really like him.

Smith isn't big. He's small (6 foot maybe) and that's his biggest problem. His arm strength is in question as well. Throws a nice ball but not always the most accurate

Troy's size is 6' 1 215, but he seems pretty strong. and i read he has great arm strenth and is extremly accurate.

Two first round pics would be wonderful, but TT never trades up.
We got 4 games left, one against Minn, one against Detroit, one against the 49ers. I believe we can win all three of these, esp. Detroit and the Vikes. The bears may lay down, and before you know it we are 8-8, and picking between 10-20 in the ffirst round.

Many coaches and players jobs are on the line, so hopefully the team comes together and plays hard the rest of the season. 7-9 is a real possibility.

#4 has always owned the 49ers, so a victory is a possibility Sunday.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:

In the later rounds of course. DL is the least position we need help with unless you're talking about someone to take KGB's spot.

I have just always liked the big DT. (Gilbert Brown/Grady Jackson) type to plug up the middle.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

I have just always liked the big DT. (Gilbert Brown/Grady Jackson) type to plug up the middle.

Pickett is your fav then?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
for all the hype on pat williams in minny, pickett is doing better STAT wise..

and is out playing Jackson..

Members online

Latest posts